Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

The Seinfeld packet read was a lot of fun, thanks for everyone coming to play it. You can see the packet here. Scores (statline superpowers-powers-10s-negs): Matt Lafer 130 (5-2-0-0), Mike Cheyne 70 (4-0-0-2), John Lawrence 65 (3-1-0-2), Pat Steely 40 (2-0-0-0), Jason Thompson 35 (2-0-0-1), Dan Passner 15 (1 power), Ophir -5 (1 neg), Victor -5 (1 neg), everyone else 0 (people went in and out of the room while I was reading so I don't actually know everyone that was there but Auroni, Haala, Tejas, Aaron Pellowski Stephen Eltinge).

I followed on Ophir's vain and analyzed all (correct) buzzes with respect to my optimistic and pessimistic estimates of where people would get the TUs correct at a spreadsheet here (spoiler warning). tl;dr 11 correct buzzes were earlier than my optimistic estimates, 6 correct buzzes were either exactly or basically at my optimistic estimates, 1 buzz was in between the optimistic and pessimistic estimates, and 2 buzzes were exactly at my pessimistic estimates. So it's fair to say that my estimates significantly underestimated this field, though I guess I couldn't really know what to expect.

Criticisms of the packet include unwise firstlines, bad-ish cliffs in superpower and power, and some ill-conceived answerlines (Jerry's ex-gfs and Elaine's offices). I'm glad I asked for criticisms of the packet because, given this was my first time ever trying to edit a packet for good gameplay, I'm inexperienced in creating good pyramidal TUs. I will for sure edit together another packet and read it sometime in the next couple of months, and it'll hopefully be devoid of those criticisms.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I wrote:Sometime this week, probably Thursday or Friday night, I will read this year's iteration of my annual Before & After packet.
I'm going to read this tomorrow (6/16) night at circa 9:30 central time.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
That DCC guy
Lulu

Post by That DCC guy »

Well are u gonna read this online or what? Where are u gonna read this?
Austin Foos
Detroit Catholic Central 2015
Michigan State University 2016
University of Michigan 2019
2015 Pace National Champion
2014-2015 Player of the Year
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Presumably in #quizbowl in the IRC, where the vast majority of these packets are read.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
That DCC guy
Lulu

Post by That DCC guy »

Cheynem wrote:Presumably in #quizbowl in the IRC, where the vast majority of these packets are read.
Thank u I forgot that's where they're read
Austin Foos
Detroit Catholic Central 2015
Michigan State University 2016
University of Michigan 2019
2015 Pace National Champion
2014-2015 Player of the Year
Charm Bison
Wakka

Post by Charm Bison »

Your Feline Genome wrote:The Seinfeld packet read was a lot of fun, thanks for everyone coming to play it. You can see the packet here. Scores (statline superpowers-powers-10s-negs): Matt Lafer 130 (5-2-0-0), Mike Cheyne 70 (4-0-0-2), John Lawrence 65 (3-1-0-2), Pat Steely 40 (2-0-0-0), Jason Thompson 35 (2-0-0-1), Dan Passner 15 (1 power), Ophir -5 (1 neg), Victor -5 (1 neg), everyone else 0 (people went in and out of the room while I was reading so I don't actually know everyone that was there but Auroni, Haala, Tejas, Aaron Pellowski Stephen Eltinge).

I followed on Ophir's vain and analyzed all (correct) buzzes with respect to my optimistic and pessimistic estimates of where people would get the TUs correct at a spreadsheet here (spoiler warning). tl;dr 11 correct buzzes were earlier than my optimistic estimates, 6 correct buzzes were either exactly or basically at my optimistic estimates, 1 buzz was in between the optimistic and pessimistic estimates, and 2 buzzes were exactly at my pessimistic estimates. So it's fair to say that my estimates significantly underestimated this field, though I guess I couldn't really know what to expect.

Criticisms of the packet include unwise firstlines, bad-ish cliffs in superpower and power, and some ill-conceived answerlines (Jerry's ex-gfs and Elaine's offices). I'm glad I asked for criticisms of the packet because, given this was my first time ever trying to edit a packet for good gameplay, I'm inexperienced in creating good pyramidal TUs. I will for sure edit together another packet and read it sometime in the next couple of months, and it'll hopefully be devoid of those criticisms.
Reading through this, this looks great. Wish I could've been there. Also, it's Kel Varnsen, not Ken.
Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School 2012—2018, Pitt 2019—who knows
2016/2017 HSNCT National Champion
"sam brochin take me the **** to waffle house" — Max Shatan
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

sambrochin wrote:
Your Feline Genome wrote:Also, it's Kel Varnsen, not Ken.
…@#$! Advantage, Brochin…
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
I wrote:Sometime this week, probably Thursday or Friday night, I will read this year's iteration of my annual Before & After packet.
I'm going to read this tomorrow (6/16) night at circa 9:30 central time.
This is starting in 15 minutes in #mashuppacket.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Scores from the Before & After Packet:

Will Nediger: 50
Auroni: 35
Rob: 35
Evan: 20
Tejas: 20
Kenji: 20
William: 10
Jeff: 10
Richard Yu: 10
Mike Cheyne: 10
Mike Etzkorn: 10
Stephen Eltinge: -5
Maryland B: -20
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

It's been a while since I read a packet in the IRC, so I'll read a film packet tomorrow at 10:00 Eastern.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Tidus

women, fire and dangerous things wrote:It's been a while since I read a packet in the IRC, so I'll read a film packet tomorrow at 10:00 Eastern.
Just a reminder that this is happening in half an hour.
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Tidus

Due to some skulduggery from Carsten, Sam Bailey won my packet in thrilling fashion by overtaking Mike Cheyne and Matt Lafer on the last tossup.
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I have received permission to read my CO team's edited packet, which I will do on IRC (#quizbowl) tomorrow at 9 PM EST, along with outtakes.

EDIT: see below post
Last edited by Auroni on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Auroni wrote:I have received permission to read my CO team's edited packet, which I will do on IRC (#quizbowl) tomorrow at 9 PM EST, along with outtakes.
After talking it through with Auroni and John, the schedule for CO readings is being changed somewhat. Starting tonight at 8 PM EST, we'll be reading the remaining three editors' packets of CO straight through in channel #COFinals. After that, others are welcomed to read their packets or cut submissions as they see fit, with Auroni having the first spot.

To make this somewhat more exciting, I'm willing to keep individual scores for tossups and room PPB for bonuses.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Matt, I'm willing to assist by keeping score, provided my Internet doesn't go out.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Adventure Temple Trail wrote:
Auroni wrote:I have received permission to read my CO team's edited packet, which I will do on IRC (#quizbowl) tomorrow at 9 PM EST, along with outtakes.
After talking it through with Auroni and John, the schedule for CO readings is being changed somewhat. Starting tonight at 8 PM EST, we'll be reading the remaining three editors' packets of CO straight through in channel #COFinals. After that, others are welcomed to read their packets or cut submissions as they see fit, with Auroni having the first spot.

To make this somewhat more exciting, I'm willing to keep individual scores for tossups and room PPB for bonuses.
Across the three packets, no tossups went dead, and the leading scorers were:
Jacob Reed (10/2/0, 170 points)
Eric Mukherjee (6/6/2, 140 points)
Jordan Brownstein (8/1/0, 130 points)
followed by Stephen Liu at 45 and Ophir Lifshitz at 35.

It turns out that if you offer to put all of quizbowl in a room and read them 63 bonuses at Chicago Open difficulty, they will get 24.60 PPB.

Megascoresheet is linked. More people played / were in the room, but nobody got a column until they buzzed in on a tossup. (And not everyone was there the whole time -- the last five columns or so depict people who showed up for Finals 2 but not the prior two packets.)
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

I have like 70+ tossups from the last 2.5 years that have variously been spoiled my own self, are too hard, are really bad, are repeats with other things I've written (most questions I write have parallel siblings on the same or a related topic that I write at the same time and then never use), and/or are too ridiculous in content to be used anywhere. If people want to hear them sometime, let me know. They are not good, especially the non-bio ones; range in difficulty from like fall to CO+; span between like four and 15 lines; and cover a variety of topics. Also at least five people have heard many of them; if you believe you are someone to whom I have read unsubmitted shitty questions, just refrain from buzzing on the ones you remember. A good portion of them also don't have giveaways or pre-FTP sentences and just end. I won't be editing them since I have more important obligations, so players will get an exciting glimpse into how 2014 noob-Joelle approached writing for quizbowl ("poorly") and what she thought were important concepts.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Amizda Calyx wrote:I have like 70+ tossups from the last 2.5 years that have variously been spoiled my own self, are too hard, are really bad, are repeats with other things I've written (most questions I write have parallel siblings on the same or a related topic that I write at the same time and then never use), and/or are too ridiculous in content to be used anywhere. If people want to hear them sometime, let me know. They are not good, especially the non-bio ones; range in difficulty from like fall to CO+; span between like four and 15 lines; and cover a variety of topics. Also at least five people have heard many of them; if you believe you are someone to whom I have read unsubmitted shitty questions, just refrain from buzzing on the ones you remember. A good portion of them also don't have giveaways or pre-FTP sentences and just end. I won't be editing them since I have more important obligations, so players will get an exciting glimpse into how 2014 noob-Joelle approached writing for quizbowl ("poorly") and what she thought were important concepts.
I'd like to hear them, or at least the biology ones!
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

In order to study for Mik Larsen's NBA thing, I've written a bunch of short NBA tossups that I will read after Side Event weekend sometime.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will read my Tricon packet and Film Packet for people not playing those events (or I guess if you're planning on reading for those events or reading those packets specifically) tonight in the IRC at 9 PM EST.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Cheynem wrote:I will read my Tricon packet and Film Packet for people not playing those events (or I guess if you're planning on reading for those events or reading those packets specifically) tonight in the IRC at 9 PM EST.
Wouldn't it be better to wait until after those events are run?
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I don't know--is there like a preponderance of people planning on cheating at guerrilla events? I don't have a ton of free time in evenings next week, so I decided to do it tonight. It also frees up people who can staff these events at their sites to still get to play and hear the packet.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

I probably won't be able to read my questions until later mid-August since I have to finish a stupid fellowship app.

I'm still curating random questions, but so far the distribution is:

Art: 13
Bio: 16
Biochem: 4
Chem: 3
Geo: 2
History: 8
Lit: 8
Medicine: 11
Myth: 1
Other ac: 4
Other sci: 2
Soc: 2
Trash: 1
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I'll probably read 2-3 packets of GRAPHIC sometime Monday evening, around 9ish EST, on IRC (#quizbgraphic) (edit: let's say 9:30 to be specific)
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I have a Pacific Northwest themed packet I wrote (and edited to be a bit more palatable for a nationwide audience) and an amusing primary-themed half-packet UW team member Jefferson van Wagenen wrote. May read it Thursday night around maybe 10 PM EDT.
Ended up being busy last night. Will read this on the weekend at some point.
I'll read this around 10:30 eastern tonight.
If I'm remembering correctly, Rob won both of these. I've attached the packets.
Attachments
As I Lay Dying--The Story of November Ninth.docx
(27.16 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle.docx
(36.93 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

UlyssesInvictus wrote:I'll probably read 2-3 packets of GRAPHIC sometime Monday evening, around 9ish EST, on IRC (#quizbgraphic) (edit: let's say 9:30 to be specific)
This happened. Summing over 3 rounds, scores were:

Finn: 245
Saul: 70
Aakash: 155
Stephen E.: 55
Steven S.: 40
Gabe: 10

I'll probably read the last 3 packets later this week, or next week.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

I'll read my second Clickhole packet in the IRC at 8pm Eastern time on Sunday (8/21). If there are enough people that haven't heard the first one, I suppose I could do that too.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

I have a "bird" themed packet by Wilton Rao to read in the IRC tomorrow at around 8pm Eastern time tomorrow (Sunday, 8/28). Having heard this packet, I can assure you that you don't actually need to know anything about birds to play it, and I only got one question off of "real" birds knowledge because the first clue was about a researcher in my department.
Eliza Grames
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

eliza.grames wrote:I can assure you that you don't actually need to know anything about birds to play it, and I only got one question off of "real" birds knowledge
And this post started out so well!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:
eliza.grames wrote:I can assure you that you don't actually need to know anything about birds to play it, and I only got one question off of "real" birds knowledge
And this post started out so well!
I was also was mildly disappointed by the lack of actual birds, but hey, at least it involves birds!
Eliza Grames
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I've been meaning to read my tricon packet, which I forgot on my work computer so I couldn't read it in actual tricon this year, for a while. I'll read this tonight after the birds packet. It features me trying to write lots of literature and special trash contributions from Saul Hankin.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

The final scores from the tricon packet:

Will: 160
Kenji: 5
Mib: -5
Adam: -5
Naveed: 10
Ricky: -5
Stephen: 55
Adam: -5
Mike: 25
Wang: 55
Chris: 25
Matt: 20
Will Overman: 30
Pat: 20

Will was first, with Stephen and Wang tied for second. Thanks to all who played, and I'll send the packet along so that it can be included in this year's tricon set if possible.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Just out of curiosity, I'm thinking of writing a Broadway packet, possibly for Festivus. Would there be any interest in such a thing?
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

jasongg17 wrote:Just out of curiosity, I'm thinking of writing a Broadway packet, possibly for Festivus. Would there be any interest in such a thing?
Yup
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

merv1618 wrote:
jasongg17 wrote:Just out of curiosity, I'm thinking of writing a Broadway packet, possibly for Festivus. Would there be any interest in such a thing?
Yup
I'd certainly be interested in playing it and embarrassing myself.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Most certainly.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

I'll definitely get to work on it, then.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
UlyssesInvictus wrote:I'll probably read 2-3 packets of GRAPHIC sometime Monday evening, around 9ish EST, on IRC (#quizbgraphic) (edit: let's say 9:30 to be specific)

Did this ever happen?
James Washick, sponsor
North Greenville University Quiz Bowl
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

eldermaas wrote:
UlyssesInvictus wrote:

Did this ever happen?
School started, so no. I'm meaning to do it sometime next week, though, once my schedule gets completely sorted out.
I've also given up hope on finishing the bonuses this semester, so I'll leave this TBD and post the full set after I read the next three packets.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Shashmaqam
Lulu

Post by Shashmaqam »

eliza.grames wrote:I'll read my second Clickhole packet in the IRC at 8pm Eastern time on Sunday (8/21). If there are enough people that haven't heard the first one, I suppose I could do that too.
Will these Clickhole packets ever be posted? I would love to see them, though I'm sad someone beat me to it.
Hernan Morales
Norcross High '13 American University '1x
My qb magnum opus is a set about the PBS show Arthur
Father of American Quiz Bowl #BuzzGoodly
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

Shashmaqam wrote:
eliza.grames wrote:I'll read my second Clickhole packet in the IRC at 8pm Eastern time on Sunday (8/21). If there are enough people that haven't heard the first one, I suppose I could do that too.
Will these Clickhole packets ever be posted? I would love to see them, though I'm sad someone beat me to it.
Finally! 20 Amazing Tossups You Won’t Believe Were Written Based on Clickhole Articles. Wow.

Heartwarming: This Person Assembled Clickhole Articles Into a Packet. What Happened Will Not Surprise You.
Eliza Grames
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I wrote a half packet comprising 3 groups of 3 tossups that share a theme and 1 tossup that might elicit the statement "that's random." I'll read it on the IRC sometime when there are people to hear it.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

OctagonJoe wrote:I wrote a half packet comprising 3 groups of 3 tossups that share a theme and 1 tossup that might elicit the statement "that's random." I'll read it on the IRC sometime when there are people to hear it.
your overall specificity intrigues me
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
eldermaas wrote:
UlyssesInvictus wrote:

Did this ever happen?
School started, so no. I'm meaning to do it sometime next week, though, once my schedule gets completely sorted out.
I've also given up hope on finishing the bonuses this semester, so I'll leave this TBD and post the full set after I read the next three packets.
Something came up today, so I'll read the remaining packets a week from today (9/21) at 10:00 PM EST.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Ophir informs me that he intends on reading his team's CO packet at "next thursday at 10:13 pm" (EST) make that Wednesday

the winner is whoever survives
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

UlyssesInvictus wrote:Something came up today, so I'll read the remaining packets a week from today (9/21) at 10:00 PM EST.
Note that this is still happening, and in 15 minutes. #quizbgraphic is the channel
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
UlyssesInvictus wrote:Something came up today, so I'll read the remaining packets a week from today (9/21) at 10:00 PM EST.
Note that this is still happening, and in 15 minutes. #quizbgraphic is the channel
This happened! Final scores:

Finn: 215
James: 175
Saul: 105
Aakash: 75
Steven: -5
EE: 0

James won packet 4, Saul and Finn tied on packet 5, and Finn won packet 6.

The packets should be up soon. One day there will be bonuses...
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
mozzarella
Lulu

Post by mozzarella »

Thinking about writing an anime-themed trash packet. Is there any interest or is that too niche for you guys?
K Kohn
Cheltenham High School 2015
American University 2018

Ask me about my trash packets.
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

mozzarella wrote:Thinking about writing an anime-themed trash packet. Is there any interest or is that too niche for you guys?
I'd only be able to answer things about a small set of shounen series, but I'd be interested nonetheless
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

I am writing a philosophical geography packet to be ready in a few weeks.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19