Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

yeah viv talk nah wrote:I have written 53 tossups on men's soccer*; I'm calling the packet "2018 SERGiO RAMOS". I wrote these starting in autumn 2016 to now. The difficulty is pretty variable, and I didn't stick to any distribution at all, but I hope the questions will be accessible and enjoyable for casual and fervent football fans.

I would like to read these questions some time in the next few days on the Discord server (since we have a temporary break from World Cup matches). I expect people in the UK to be interested in this, so I can do 2 separate readings at convenient US and UK times if necessary.
Based on the responses to the poll, it seems 1 reading is enough for everyone. I will read the packet tonight at 7 PM EST (12 AM BST).
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
setophaga
Lulu

Post by setophaga »

setophaga wrote:
setophaga wrote:I have largely completed the third entry in my Music Mafia Packet series. As always, this packet is 20/0 in total, with 1/0 opera and 1/0 poetry/literature (but tangentially related to classical music). This packet will be less vanity but more whimsical than its predecessors, with clues that hopefully go more deep than obscure.

This will now be read on THURSDAY, JUNE 28, immediately after Ophir's guerilla audio tournament.
This was not read last Thursday due to time restraints. It will be read tomorrow, Thursday, in the quizbowl Discord server at 7 PM EDT.
John Lawrence, Michael Yue, and Mia Nussbaum tied at 50 apiece on this packet. The positive scores from the reading are as follows:

John Lawrence 2/3/2 50
Mia Nussbaum 2/2/0 50
Michael Yue 3/1/1 50
Jonathan Magin 0/1/0 10
Joe Su 0/1/0 10
Ophir 1/1/4 5
Sameer Apte
Carnegie Mellon '19
New England Conservatory '21
Stony Brook '25
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

Thanks to Ani for the excellent soccer pack!

Tejas won and Moses was 2nd.

Scores are posted here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
warum
Lulu

Post by warum »

I'm writing a packet entirely on Earth science (some of the questions are equally at home under physical geography). I plan to read it on Discord in a few weeks. I've created a poll to gauge interest; please respond if you'd like to play! https://www.strawpoll.me/16083814
Natan Holtzman
Stanford 2024, UNC 2016, Enloe 2012
warum
Lulu

Post by warum »

My earth science packet "Unaccustomed Earth System Science" is done, at 20 tossups and no bonuses. I'm planning to read it tomorrow (Wednesday, July 25) at 8 PM ET on Discord.
Natan Holtzman
Stanford 2024, UNC 2016, Enloe 2012
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

I have six packets from the 2018 IHO Geography Bee and two packets from the 2018 IHO Pop Music Bee that I will read on Discord. I will read some tonight after the Earth Science packet at 8 EST, and the rest tomorrow night or later this week. The music is rather easy and the geography is rather challenging.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

I have 3 packets of IHO current events; when do people want me to read this?
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

If this is what we're doing, I've got 3 packets of IHO Sports I can read if anyone is interested. It's not a hard set, and it tries not to be too American-centric.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Dominator wrote:If this is what we're doing, I've got 3 packets of IHO Sports I can read if anyone is interested. It's not a hard set, and it tries not to be too American-centric.
Sounds cool
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Belgium
Lulu

Post by Belgium »

Dominator wrote:If this is what we're doing, I've got 3 packets of IHO Sports I can read if anyone is interested. It's not a hard set, and it tries not to be too American-centric.
Yes please.
Thomas De Bock - Oxford Brookes University
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Starting next week Wednesday night (8/22) around 10 PM EST, I'll be reading through the entirety of FILM over several nights on the Discord. I'd like to do this over two or three nights, depending on how quickly people get through packets. I'll also repeat this the following week for people who can't play the first time around, so if you show up the first week and find more than 9 or 10 people already playing, I kindly ask that you wait until the next session. (First come first serve, or honor code, if this comes to matter.)

If you previously played FILM in a physical site, but couldn't hear all the questions, then feel free to participate this time as well. (Or even just if you happen to want to hear/discuss the questions again, though you obviously won't be allowed to buzz.)

This will be totally free to play, but the suggested donation for playing any amount of FILM is $10. This will be donated to charity under the same conditions as the rest of FILM's earnings.

I'll post a reminder/channel details on Wednesday.

UPDATE: I'll probably be busy Wednesday night, so I'm going to push this back until Thursday. Same with Friday, so if we don't finish Thursday, I'll resume next Tuesday.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

A reminder that I'll be reading FILM, starting tonight at 10 PM EST. I'll use the typical #packet channel in the main QB discord.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Apologies for the continual updates: on second thought, I've decided to just use a private server for this. You can join here:

https://discord.gg/Wm9bz2q
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

UlyssesInvictus wrote:Apologies for the continual updates: on second thought, I've decided to just use a private server for this. You can join here:

https://discord.gg/Wm9bz2q
This was cancelled due to lack of interest. Next reading will be Tuesday evening, 10 PM EST as well. If there's trouble getting players then as well, I'll try to set up a Doodle poll to see what time works best for everyone.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Another reminder that I'll be having another go of a FILM reading tonight. Please be punctual if you can, lest we mistakenly cancel it again :P
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Harris Bunker wrote:So my current plan is to read the five packets in the #packet channel on the QB Discord next Sunday, September 30th at around 6 pm EST. I will read tossups and then bonuses for the crowd. If you decide to play, donations are appreciated, so please Venmo me for those. Donate what you feel like.
Just a reminder that this is this Sunday evening. I hope people come out and play the set before it goes up on the archive.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Progcon wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 pm
Harris Bunker wrote:So my current plan is to read the five packets in the #packet channel on the QB Discord next Sunday, September 30th at around 6 pm EST. I will read tossups and then bonuses for the crowd. If you decide to play, donations are appreciated, so please Venmo me for those. Donate what you feel like.
Just a reminder that this is this Sunday evening. I hope people come out and play the set before it goes up on the archive.
If there is interest, this will be rescheduled for this Sunday or next Sunday. Some people have reached out to me with interest; please let me know if this is you!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

I'll be reading Fantastic Feasts and Where to Find Them, my 40 tossup food pack around 10pm EST on Thursday, Dec 6 on the discord. It is similar to John Lawrence's There Will Be Stock Clues event.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Jack Mehr and I are each writing a packet of hard (ranging from Nats to CO+), literature common links to be read sometime in mid-January on Discord. If this sounds interesting to you, indicate your availability on the following poll (times are EST).
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
Banana Stand
Wakka

Post by Banana Stand »

rahulkeyal wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 pm Jack Mehr and I are each writing a packet of hard (ranging from Nats to CO+), literature common links to be read sometime in mid-January on Discord. If this sounds interesting to you, indicate your availability on the following poll (times are EST).
We'll be reading this in the discord tomorrow night at 9PM EST. It's 50 questions. Hope to see you there (:
Jack Mehr
St. Joe's NJ '14
UVA '19
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I have written a "packet" of 16 tossups on Magic: the Gathering. I'll read them on the Discord on Wednesday night at 10:45 EST.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

CPiGuy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 pm I have written a "packet" of 16 tossups on Magic: the Gathering. I'll read them on the Discord on Wednesday night at 10:45 EST.
a booster packet
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

CPiGuy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 pm I have written a "packet" of 16 tossups on Magic: the Gathering. I'll read them on the Discord on Wednesday night at 10:45 EST.
This is still happening.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Conor's packet was fun, and has inspired me to write an ass hard Magic the Gathering packet. It will have either 15, 30, or 45 tossups. Hopefully the latter.

EDIT: Provided there is sufficient interest, I may make this an MTG mini-tournament with rounds of 15 tossups each, with an entry fee and potential prizes in the form of cards and/or free entry to some kind of draft in the future.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

I have written a packet of 50 tossups on men's soccer. I wrote these over the past few weeks. Like my previous soccer packet, I didn't stick to a distribution, but I hope the questions will be accessible and enjoyable for both casual and fervent football fans! I think in general, the questions are probably a bit more difficult (and longer) than the previous packet.

I would like to read these questions some time this week on Discord. I would prefer to only do 1 reading, but I can do 2 separate readings at convenient US and UK times if necessary.

Please fill out the following poll to indicate when you'd be free to play the packet. If you're not in the US, please write "abroad" either in the Name box or as a message in the poll.

https://doodle.com/poll/kpm35kq763szwwmu
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

yeah viv talk nah wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:26 pm I have written a packet of 50 tossups on men's soccer. I wrote these over the past few weeks. Like my previous soccer packet, I didn't stick to a distribution, but I hope the questions will be accessible and enjoyable for both casual and fervent football fans! I think in general, the questions are probably a bit more difficult (and longer) than the previous packet.
Based on the replies to the poll, I will read the packet at 7 pm EST tonight.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
StabbedCat
Kimahri

Post by StabbedCat »

I have begun work on a visual tournament (no more than 6 packets) entirely about The Simpsons. Unless I think of a sensible way to make other clues that will mean 20 questions of 'name the episode' with 7 clues or smth. The aim would also be to have it primarily from well known 'golden age' episodes but with at least one episode from seasons 11-15 and one from post-15 in each packet.

It will get completed in mid-June once exams are done and I'll host something in the UK, but am willing to send it for free to anyone (or just put it on the archives I guess).
Theo Howe
University of Cambridge '19
Self-proclaimed trash god, middling to bad on all other subjects
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

In an effort to better serve you, board staff has created a new subforum for posting announcements for practices, online scrimmages, "random packets" such as these, and other unofficial gameplay.

Please continue to write many amazing and fun internet packets, and follow these guidelines for announcing them in the new subforum!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum