Page 4 of 12

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 pm
by Chef Curry
This is an announcement to proclaim that I will be writing a Suits packet, and because I am a high schooler with virtually no experience writing packets it might take a while. Disclaimer: This will be my first packet read on IRC so play at your own peril. And also, if you are interested it would be appreciated if you expressed interest; even though it might take some time, it is happening. That will be all.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:38 pm
by Nice hockey Cote d'Azur
I planned on writing a random Pokemon/academic mashup packet, but now I have a long list of possible answers and no questions. I would greatly appreciate if someone wants to help out with this.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:58 am
by Wynaut
tejasraje wrote:I planned on writing a random Pokemon/academic mashup packet, but now I have a long list of possible answers and no questions. I would greatly appreciate if someone wants to help out with this.
I have a bunch of Pokemon questions that haven't been read. I could probably contribute some academic stuff (lit/history/physics/geo), although I'd prefer to save my better ideas for HSAPQ questions.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 am
by Auks Ran Ova
Cape Fear wrote:
tejasraje wrote:I planned on writing a random Pokemon/academic mashup packet, but now I have a long list of possible answers and no questions. I would greatly appreciate if someone wants to help out with this.
I have a bunch of Pokemon questions that haven't been read. I could probably contribute some academic stuff (lit/history/physics/geo), although I'd prefer to save my better ideas for HSAPQ questions.
I think he means "Pokemon/academic mashup" in the sense of, like, mashup questions, like the team names here.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:18 am
by Nice hockey Cote d'Azur
Yes, that is correct, sorry if that was unclear.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:43 am
by Wynaut
tejasraje wrote:Yes, that is correct, sorry if that was unclear.
In that case, that sounds even more interesting. I could probably find some ways to incorporate the categories I mentioned earlier with Pokemon names.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:09 pm
by InvadErGII
I have written a packet about things that I can't put in ACRONYM, Minnesota's high school pop culture event. I'm going to attempt to read it in the IRC in about an hour (8pm Central), pending interest.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:17 pm
by InvadErGII
So, that happened. Scores were: (I apologize as I don't know who all of you were):

Ramapriya: 65
Rob: 55
Carsten: 20
Matt J: 20
Andrew Wang: 10
Haala: 10
T-Bar: 10
Grond: 10
Yonker: 5

Packet is attached in all its...er, glory. Yeah, glory.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:49 pm
by women, fire and dangerous things
I've written a half packet (10/10) of questions involving wordplay of various kinds. I'd like to read it on Tuesday evening, although I'm open to other times if interested parties (I'm looking at you, John Lawrence and Rob Carson) would prefer. The questions cover an assortment of academic categories, and many of them are extremely dumb.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:48 pm
by Auks Ran Ova
:shock:

(tuesday works fine for me!)

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:56 am
by The Time Keeper
InvadErGII wrote:I have written a packet about things that I can't put in ACRONYM, Minnesota's high school pop culture event. I'm going to attempt to read it in the IRC in about an hour (8pm Central), pending interest.

I just read this thing for the first time and it's definitely in the top tier of novelty packets as far as I'm concerned. Some great stuff in there.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:08 am
by AKKOLADE
Bob Ducca wrote:
InvadErGII wrote:I have written a packet about things that I can't put in ACRONYM, Minnesota's high school pop culture event. I'm going to attempt to read it in the IRC in about an hour (8pm Central), pending interest.

I just read this thing for the first time and it's definitely in the top tier of novelty packets as far as I'm concerned. Some great stuff in there.
I just read this because of Pat's post and just wanted to say I really enjoyed it too.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:17 pm
by women, fire and dangerous things
women, fire and dangerous things wrote:I've written a half packet (10/10) of questions involving wordplay of various kinds. I'd like to read it on Tuesday evening, although I'm open to other times if interested parties (I'm looking at you, John Lawrence and Rob Carson) would prefer. The questions cover an assortment of academic categories, and many of them are extremely dumb.
I'll read this tomorrow at 8:30 PM EST.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 pm
by women, fire and dangerous things
women, fire and dangerous things wrote:
women, fire and dangerous things wrote:I've written a half packet (10/10) of questions involving wordplay of various kinds. I'd like to read it on Tuesday evening, although I'm open to other times if interested parties (I'm looking at you, John Lawrence and Rob Carson) would prefer. The questions cover an assortment of academic categories, and many of them are extremely dumb.
I'll read this tomorrow at 8:30 PM EST.
Rob won with 30 points, and the packet's attached here.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 pm
by Cheynem
I am writing a packet based on the music I listen to. Probably read it tonight, maybe not.

Tonight around 9 CST, I think. The theme is again "songs/music in film," although perhaps easier than the last few.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:43 pm
by Cheynem
Jeff Hoppes (!!!) won the packet at 35 points.
Brian McNamara and Vasa Clarke were second at 20 points.
Dan Puma (w/Isaac Hirsch) finished last with neg 10.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 pm
by Cheynem
I'm working on a "video games" packet (which if you know me, will not be about any video games people care about), that I should have ready tomorrow night and will read around 9 CST. If you liked the question on "Astyanax" at Dr Auroni, you might like this.

Packet will be at 9 CST. 30 shortish tossups.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:55 pm
by Cheynem
Rob Carson won the packet with 95 points.
Mik Larsen had 75.
Tejas Raje had 35.
Auroni Gupta had 20.
Matt Weiner and Matt Bollinger had 10.
Dan Passner had 5.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:04 pm
by historical pun
I'm writing a 20/20 packet on modern East Asia for CLEAR and am planning on reading/"playtesting" it Friday evening around 9,30 EST.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:31 pm
by Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
I'd very much like to test this "modern East Asia" packet.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:54 pm
by historical pun
This will be more around 10 and it will be 10/10 +maybe some extra bonuses I had written, rather than 20/20 but it is still happening.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:56 pm
by Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
This is a dissappointing development, though I'd still love to read this. If people want more Modern East Asia questions for this packet I might be able to spin a few up at the airport after testing happens.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:17 am
by Cody
I have a secret packet of whimsy that I will read the evening of Dec. 25, 8:38 PM Eastern. It will be most likely be at least 20 TUs on a theme then an unthemed TU. Mostly science, popular science, things related to medicine, and whacky things.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:03 pm
by Cody
Cody wrote:I have a secret packet of whimsy that I will read the evening of Dec. 25, 8:38 PM Eastern. It will be most likely be at least 20 TUs on a theme then an unthemed TU. Mostly science, popular science, things related to medicine, and whacky things.
This is finished and will be read at the stated time.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:08 pm
by Cody
Scores! (the extra column for Sinan is -10; 15s were awarded as I felt they were deserved). Packet attached.

Matt Weiner 1/3/0 45
Auroni Gupta 2/1/0 40
Andrew Wang 1/2/0 35
Tejas Raje 1/2/0 35
Victor Prieto 0/2/0 20
Vasa Clarke 1/1/1 20
Andrew Hart 0/2/1 15
Dan Passner 0/1/1 5
Sinan Ulusoy 1/0/1/1 0
Stephen Eltinge 0/0/1 -5
Eric Douglass 0/0/1 -5
Pat Freeburn 0/0/1 -5

edit: Andrew Hart contributed a further 3 tossups on dubious science that I've attached. Carsten won by going 1/0/0 :(

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:45 pm
by women, fire and dangerous things
I've written an unthemed packet of hard, extremely whimsical tossups, with lots of lit and fine arts, as is my wont. I plan on reading it tonight around 9:00 Eastern.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:57 pm
by women, fire and dangerous things
My packet happened, and Rob put in a shameful performance, scoring 80 points while the rest of the room combined for 85. Yet again, Cody disappointed me by failing to get a particular tossup (although in fairness, it was because he wasn't paying attention).

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:57 pm
by Cheynem
I am writing a James Bond packet. The majority of tossups will be on specific scenes, but there will be a few location/character/whatever questions. It will be read tomorrow night at 8 CST in #bond in the IRC.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:33 am
by Cheynem
If anyone has the ability to contact Ike Jose and/or John Lawrence (I don't), please do so, as I think they might be interested in this if they are around.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:49 pm
by ThisIsMyUsername
Cheynem wrote:If anyone has the ability to contact Ike Jose and/or John Lawrence (I don't), please do so, as I think they might be interested in this if they are around.
Um, you have my e-mail address, and I've always been responsive to PM's...

I'll try my best to be there tonight.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:53 pm
by Cheynem
You and your logic, John Lawrence! But yes, I had forgotten about those things.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 pm
by Adventure Temple Trail
Cheynem wrote:You and your logic, John Lawrence! But yes, I had forgotten about those things.
In Minnesota, they only communicate by smoke signal.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:26 pm
by Ike
Oh, hey! I will be there for this.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:06 pm
by Cheynem
Bond packet.

Ike Jose won but thought he didn't do well enough.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:41 pm
by Edmund
Dave Knapp has uploaded the Lowbrow Oxford Open (LOO) here.

http://trash.quizbowlpackets.com/1679/

In its original incarnation, the tournament was played on the Sunday morning of Oxford Open weekend, and was won by the Trashtards.

There are 13 packets of 21/0, roughly half written by packet submission and half by Dave himself, who should be thanked for putting together a great event. The distribution reflects British interests and as such contains quite a bit of US content, particularly in music and film. There are cricket questions. The UK hopes that you enjoy it!

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:19 pm
by women, fire and dangerous things
I'm writing a packet, half of which is tossups on puzzles of various sorts, and the other half of which is assorted tossups with a Will Nediger flavor. I'll read it at 10 Eastern tonight, unless for some reason I don't finish it by then.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:01 am
by women, fire and dangerous things
My packet is attached. I won't tell you who won, so you'll have to puzzle it out.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:01 am
by adosreme
Edmund wrote:Dave Knapp has uploaded the Lowbrow Oxford Open (LOO) here.

http://trash.quizbowlpackets.com/1679/

In its original incarnation, the tournament was played on the Sunday morning of Oxford Open weekend, and was won by the Trashtards.

There are 13 packets of 21/0, roughly half written by packet submission and half by Dave himself, who should be thanked for putting together a great event. The distribution reflects British interests and as such contains quite a bit of US content, particularly in music and film. There are cricket questions. The UK hopes that you enjoy it!
We did this on the car ride back from (edit:) SCT and it was among the most fun sets of questions that I've ever played! Thank you very much for writing it!

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:17 pm
by Cheynem
i dunno if the Oppen crowd will be able to do this, but I have some Impossible Speedcheck-esque comic book questions (stuff too hard for COMICS II) that I could read tonight, perhaps around 10 CST.

EDIT: I'll postpone this to next Friday so more people can play.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 am
by Cheynem
Friday at 9 CST, I'll read about 50 very hard comic book tossups in #comics.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 pm
by Nine-Tenths Ideas
Maybe Wednesday night-ish, I'll read my well-received 1997 packet in IRC. It'll lose some stuff from not being read aloud, but we'll do our best.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 pm
by Nine-Tenths Ideas
40 characters in search of a username wrote:Maybe Wednesday night-ish, I'll read my well-received 1997 packet in IRC. It'll lose some stuff from not being read aloud, but we'll do our best.
This is happening at 9. HURRY

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm
by Cheynem
Will be happening tonight in #comics. The questions are sort of quasi speedcheck, so there's "only" 30 of them.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 pm
by Cheynem
Eric won.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:35 pm
by InvadErGII
I have a packet of 34 tossups on fictional media of various types. It is incredibly vain and occasionally very difficult. Pending interest, I will read it in IRC at around 9:00 central tonight.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:04 pm
by Cooper98
What channel?

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:51 am
by InvadErGII
This indeed took place (sorry Owen :\ ), and Rob Carson emerged victorious. Packet is attached, scores are below:

Rob 85
Matt W 60
Eric D 55
Dan P 50
Victor 25
Whoever heterodyne is 20
Eric M 20
Evan 15
Matt L 15
Stephen E 10
Matt B 10
Mike 5
Carsten 5
Tejas -5

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:38 am
by heterodyne
InvadErGII wrote:This indeed took place (sorry Owen :\ ), and Rob Carson emerged victorious. Packet is attached, scores are below:

Rob 85
Matt W 60
Eric D 55
Dan P 50
Victor 25
Whoever heterodyne is 20
Eric M 20
Evan 15
Matt L 15
Stephen E 10
Matt B 10
Mike 5
Carsten 5
Tejas -5
Hi, I'm heterodyne.

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:25 pm
by Gonzagapuma1
Hey,

I'm gonna read some impossible speedchecks that were played at UMD and Illinois in the IRC at 8. #speedcheck

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:30 pm
by vcuEvan
I'll be reading an unthemed packet of tossups on highly questionable answer lines in IRC tonight at 10PM EST. I'm sure Rob Carson will win.