Announcement: SHAWARMA II (visual movies) [winter 2019]

Old college threads.
Beast Mode
Lulu

Announcement: SHAWARMA II (visual movies) [winter 2019]

Post by Beast Mode »

Since we already have FILM and Chomping Down at Shoney's running in August, and BUMPY II running in the fall, I think we're pretty set on film side events for the rest of 2018, and I'm therefore announcing SHAWARMA II for the 2019 winter semester. I'd love for this to be run as part of what's become the annual weekend of quiz bowl accompanying a spring open (and Jacob Reed has kindly penciled it in for the Yale mirror of PIANO), but it'll be ready by January 19 EDIT: February 16 (the weekend after SCT). It'll be completely free to play (i.e. hosts won't owe me any money, and aren't to charge players any money).

Background:

If you never played it, SHAWARMA I was a visual tournament I wrote in 2015 about movies I like from 1991 to the present. SHAWARMA II is the sequel (prequel?), covering movies I like from before 1991.

Gameplay:

-The gameplay of SHAWARMA II will be much the same as the gameplay of SHAWARMA I (8 slides per regulation tossup, slide backgrounds of various colors, 1-slide joke tiebreakers on movies I dislike, etc.), except that this time there will be 7 packets of 15 tossups each. Of course, hosts don't have to run this as a ladder if they don't want to or if it doesn't work for their mirror.

-Each round has the following chronological distribution:
  • 3 tossups on movies from pre-1951
  • 3 tossups on movies from 1951-1960
  • 3 tossups on movies from 1961-1970
  • 3 tossups on movies from 1971-1980
  • 3 tossups on movies from 1981-1990
  • 1 joke/tiebreaker tossup on a movie from any year pre-1991
-I think my tastes are known by now. Nearly all the movies in this tournament are American, and they get generally trashier as we get closer to 1991. However, every round has one foreign-language film tossup, and a good balance of genres among the American films. As with SHAWARMA I, the name of this tournament belies the fact that these are mostly mainstream films.

-There are no repeats with TAMIL, The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes, or BUMPY I. I'll try to play BUMPY II this fall and make sure there are no repeats with that set. EDIT: I won't be playing BUMPY II before I finish SHAWARMA II, so there may be repeats between the two.

-I don't think any tossups this time around merit a warning to players under 17. EDIT: I lied. One tossup displays a four-letter word. There are also a few naked ladies, but nothing of note is actually visible. Consider yourselves warned.

-I'm once again making some answerlines more generous than those of a real quiz bowl tournament, and empowering moderators to pile on their own generosity.

Progress:

I'll edit this post from time to time with updates on the set's progress. As of February 15, it's 100% done.

To ask questions about the set, request the set for a mirror, or give feedback:

Email me at saul [dot] hankin [at] gmail [dot] com to request the set. You can also email me with questions and feedback, or post here if your concern is one that others might have (and doesn't spoil answers).
Last edited by Beast Mode on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
funkdaddio
Lulu

Re: Announcement: SHAWARMA II (visual movies) [winter 2019]

Post by funkdaddio »

:party:
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Bumping this thread to remind everyone that SHAWARMA II is a thing and that it's free to play. It's now done, and available for your tournaments/practices/parties starting tomorrow, February 16. (I want to give it a last once-over tonight.) Hit me up.

EDIT: Let's say the set will be available for mirrors through NSC weekend (June 8-9), and then I'll send it off to the archive.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not sure if this will be run in the Midwest at anywhere that's not PIANO, but I certainly would be interested (perhaps an informal running at ICT?).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Cheynem wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:45 am I'm not sure if this will be run in the Midwest at anywhere that's not PIANO, but I certainly would be interested (perhaps an informal running at ICT?).
I'd be glad to run this at ICT for those who haven't played it by then, ideally at a time that doesn't conflict with Lederberg Trinity, GOLBEZ, or STAR BOWL (if that happens).
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Thanks for writing/running this, Saul! I would disagree with the set title, it's not weird at all and had a really good distribution of content (the lack of post-1991 does present itself a little, but that's what it says on the tin) and was really fun to play. Also disagreed with some of the soapbox opinions to be found in the TB slides, but what can you do :P
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Beast Mode wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 pm
Cheynem wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:45 am I'm not sure if this will be run in the Midwest at anywhere that's not PIANO, but I certainly would be interested (perhaps an informal running at ICT?).
I'd be glad to run this at ICT for those who haven't played it by then, ideally at a time that doesn't conflict with Lederberg Trinity, GOLBEZ, or STAR BOWL (if that happens).
This will happen Saturday night after GOLBEZ.

EDIT: I suppose a sign-up sheet can't hurt to get a sense of numbers, but it's nothing formal; if you don't put your name down, you won't be turned away come Saturday night.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

EDIT: NEW PLAN

Here's my current plan for the ICT mirror:

-As of now, it'll be run in my hotel room, the number of which I'll edit into this post when I check in tomorrow and learn what it is. I'm in a normal double, so if anyone has a suite to offer up (or commandeer from some chump you know), please let me know cause that'd be better.

-Once the last round of GOLBEZ starts, someone playing or staffing that should post in this thread to say so, or message me so I can post if you're not in a position to do so yourself. That'll be the green light for people to head over to my room. You obviously don't have to show up right then if you don't want to, but I'm gonna start SHAWARMA II as soon as the GOLBEZ folks arrive.

-The players from UMich will be bringing their buzzers, so we're good there.

-There are presently 11 players signed up on the spreadsheet. I'd really rather not run a ladder because of how late this'll already be, so if the field doesn't grow much more, I'd be grateful if a few of the more laid-back players would consent to saying "buzz" or doubling up on a buzzer. Even so, I'd sleep better if we got one more staffer on call. Said staffer would be free to go if we don't get a tidal wave of new players.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There's actually 13 people signed up now, which is venturing on fairly crowded for one room, although I understand the constraints. If possible, a super simplistic ladder thing of "play the first half of the tournament in two rooms, take the top people and put them in one room and vice versa," would be preferable, but as William Shakespeare said, "Man must respect the logistics of the Hyatt."

I realize this may defeat the point, but are you open to like two runnings this weekend (Friday/Saturday or pre/post GOLBEZ)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

EDIT: NEW PLAN
Cheynem wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:36 pm There's actually 13 people signed up now, which is venturing on fairly crowded for one room, although I understand the constraints. If possible, a super simplistic ladder thing of "play the first half of the tournament in two rooms, take the top people and put them in one room and vice versa," would be preferable, but as William Shakespeare said, "Man must respect the logistics of the Hyatt."
It's my fault for tempting fate. Consider this post a more forthright call for additional staffers and rooms. Instead of my room, let's plan instead to meet where GOLBEZ is happening and then decide which two rooms to use (assuming more than two are even offered).
Cheynem wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:36 pm I realize this may defeat the point, but are you open to like two runnings this weekend (Friday/Saturday or pre/post GOLBEZ)?
I'm definitely open to Friday after I'm done with my staffer tasks, and have added a tab for it to the sign-up spreadsheet. If you put yourself down for Friday (be it as a player, staffer, or room-provider), please also indicate whether you're involved with Lederberg so I can figure out whether two sessions will be needed that night. I'm assuming that there'll be no buzzers available because they'll all be set up in game rooms. Let's plan on the Friday session(s) also meeting at the GOLBEZ spot because I'm too lazy to come up with another place.

I'm gonna say "not open" to Saturday before or during GOLBEZ because after my staffing duties are over, I'll be dashing off to catch whatever's left of Michigan State vs. Texas Tech.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Oh that's right, you are a big MSU fan.

I signed up for Friday and would encourage folks already at the hotel that night and free to do so too--this would improve play for folks on Saturday night, obviate the need for more rooms, and also (perhaps?) allow people to finish earlier on Saturday in general.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

I'm sorry for the last-minute confusion I've sown regarding the ICT mirror. This post will be my final word on the plan for that, since I'm at LaGuardia now and won't want to do any more organizing work after I land at O'Hare.

-I'm taking no more entrants for tomorrow (Saturday) night, but everyone who put themselves on the sign-up sheet for that night before I composed this post will be admitted (EDIT: but can certainly switch to Friday if they want to). If no one else offers up a hotel room, we'll cram everyone into mine and decide whether to play with two buzzer sets, or with some people saying "buzz," or with some people sharing units on one buzzer set. Someone has already PM'ed me offering to staff if we get a second room.

-The two players who signed up for tonight (Friday) before I composed this post may switch to tomorrow if they want. I'll take additional signups for tonight, but will only be running one session: during Lederberg.

-On both nights, players will meet at the GOLBEZ meeting place. Tonight, players should gather when Lederberg participants are released from staff check-in to resume Lederberg. Tomorrow night, people should gather by the time GOLBEZ finishes. Each night, I'll post a more specific time when I learn it.

Again, I apologize for my poor planning in getting this together, for effecting what looks to be a single, bloated game room tomorrow night, and to anyone who gets left out of playing this weekend; I didn't expect so much interest. The set is still available for mirrors if anyone wants a copy to run back home.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Tonight's session will start in about 15 minutes in room 2018 (executive wing).
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Friday night results:

Mike Cheyne: 730 (16/49/0)
Andy Schingel: 120 (5/5/1)
Carsten Gehring: 60 (0/8/4)
Colton Graham: 60 (2/4/2)
Patrick Quion: 50 (0/5/0)
Mike Bentley: 10 (0/5/8)

(I promise that we finished a while ago; I just forgot about posting results till this moment.)

EDIT: Math was wrong.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Ent
Lulu

Post by Ent »

Please post time and room number, once it is confirmed, please.

Very much looking forward to this!
Thomas Egan
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Tonight's session is still on for after GOLBEZ (which I'm now staffing). Assemble in the GOLBEZ area (JFK/Liberty/Logan/etc.); I'll post here again when the last round of GOLBEZ starts so everyone has a heads-up.

We lost some bodies due to a couple people switching over to the Friday session and a couple people just not wanting to be up super late tonight, so the field is now closed (again) at a nice ten players (all of whom will have a buzzer on a UMich Anderson).

Also, I've been asked about running this at ACF Nats next week, which I'd be glad to do. More on that later, but suffice it to say that I'll do a better job managing things this time.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Ent
Lulu

Post by Ent »

Saul, I hate to do this publicly, but I just found out how late this is likely to be before this starts, so I will not be able to make this. I am bummed!
Thomas Egan
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

For those still insane enough to play this tonight, we're about to start the last round of GOLBEZ (whose runtime I wildly underestimated). Head on over to the JFK/Liberty/etc. area.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Saturday night (technically Sunday morning) results:

Matt Lafer: 525 (5/52/14)
Rudra Ranganathan: 145 (5/7/0)
Nick Clusserath: 135 (2/13/5)
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Post by excessive dismemberment »

I am not a particularly good film player, but I greatly enjoyed it, and I'd definitely recommend it to others
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Okay, let's see if I learned anything from ICT...

EDIT: Friday and Saturday sessions are cancelled because no one's signed up.

For those interested in playing this over ACF Nats weekend, I'll be running it Sunday after the finals (assuming we're not thrown out of the building). We'll gather in the finals room and then find some clasroom. It be capped at ten players, and the sign-up sheet is a formal thing. If you can bring a buzzer, please do. Everyone is still welcome to email me for a copy of the set if this session doesn't work for you.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Beast Mode wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 pm For those interested in playing this over ACF Nats weekend, I'll be running it Sunday after the finals
This happened. Many thanks to Kevin Wang for keeping stats.

John Lawrence: 310 (8/22/4)
Mike Sorice: 240 (11/12/10)
Juliet Mayer: 160 (5/9/1)
Olivia Kiser: 135 (4/8/1)
Matt Weiner: 90 (2/6/0)
Tim Morrison: 70 (4/2/2)
Michael Yue: 40 (2/1/0)
Halle Friedman: 25 (2/0/1)
Tamara Vardomskaya: 15 (1/2/4)
Ophir Lifshitz: 10 (0/1/0)
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

EDIT 2: I've had another last-minute mirror request. I'll post the set at the end of July.

EDIT 1: I've had a last-minute request to mirror SHAWARMA II on July 20, so the set will be posted after that. Please don't comment on set content here, and I guess keep the mirror requests coming if you still haven't played it and want to.

With NSC done, SHAWARMA II is clear for public discussion (or more comments by email, if you'd prefer). I'll give it a week and then send it off to the archive.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

SHAWARMA II is posted: https://trash.quizbowlpackets.com/2341/

I don't plan to do another one of these as a solo effort, but maybe down the road I'll organize something akin to Guerrilla Imaginary Landscape.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)