Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
connor.mayers
Lulu

Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life

Post by connor.mayers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 pm

I am pleased to announce Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life, a continuation of Laurence Li’s hip-hop tournament from two years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18915&p=344050&hil ... er#p344050

The set will hopefully consist of 7 packets, which will contain 20 super-power marked tossups between 8 and 11 lines each. The distribution for each packet will be as follows:
5 2010s
5 2000s
5 1990s
2 pre-1990s
3 Hip-hop grab bag/culture/current events/inter time period common links

The set will be done before Nats season and I will run mirrors at as many nationals as there is interest for. If anyone else would like to mirror the set, please contact me and we can set something up.

Andy Huff, Shane Mosley, Ryan Rosenberg, Vishwa Shanmugam, Sohum Shenoy, and Rohan Vora will be contributing to the set as well.
Last edited by connor.mayers on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20

100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan
Rikku

Re: Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life

Post by 100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Incredibly hyped. Also glad to see a reduction in pre-1990s rap.
Chandler West
Auburn University 2016-20xx
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) 2012-16

gerbilownage
Lulu

Post by gerbilownage » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:12 am

I'm honored. Looking forward to this!
Laurence Li
Westview HS '13
Yale '17
Harvard '20

100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan
Rikku

Post by 100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Are there any updates on this such as confirmation it will be ready and what time at HSNCT you're hoping to read it (would personally prefer it not conflict with META but that's just me)?
Chandler West
Auburn University 2016-20xx
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) 2012-16

connor.mayers
Lulu

Post by connor.mayers » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:45 pm

100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 pm
Are there any updates on this such as confirmation it will be ready and what time at HSNCT you're hoping to read it (would personally prefer it not conflict with META but that's just me)?
The set is... making progress let's just say that. I should be able to finish if I get my ass into gear after exam season. As for a time slot I'm looking at Friday night, probably a hour or so after the conclusion of ACRONYM (from what I see this doesn't conflict with anything, let me know if I'm wrong). Once I have more specific details I'll set up a spreadsheet for matchmaking.
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20

connor.mayers
Lulu

Post by connor.mayers » Sun May 05, 2019 10:36 pm

An update on this set: it will have 6 packets. It will run at HSNCT on Friday night shortly after the conclusion of ACRONYM.

Here is a matchmaking spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

With 6 packets, I'm capping the field of eight so we can play 2x4 for prelims and then re-bracket and carryover for playoffs, and then play a final crossover.

I'll also need some staff, so please consider signing up!

Finally, I could still use some help on the writing/editing side, so if you'd be willing to contribute please contact me.
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20

connor.mayers
Lulu

Post by connor.mayers » Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 am

Hi y'all. A little bit of an update here.

Due to a variety of circumstances (junior yell workload, stress, declining mental health, etc.) I'll be postponing the finish of this set indefinitely. I definitely bit off more than I could chew here and have realized it's not worth trying to finish in the final days before HSNCT. The set should be done well before next year at HSNCT, where I hope I can mirror it again and have it be a much more enjoyable experience. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to playing, I hope y'all enjoy your Friday night at HSNCT.
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20

connor.mayers
Lulu

Post by connor.mayers » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:56 pm

connor.mayers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 am
Hi y'all. A little bit of an update here.

Due to a variety of circumstances (junior year workload, stress, declining mental health, etc.) I'll be postponing the finish of this set indefinitely. I definitely bit off more than I could chew here and have realized it's not worth trying to finish in the final days before HSNCT. The set should be done well before next year at HSNCT, where I hope I can mirror it again and have it be a much more enjoyable experience. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to playing, I hope y'all enjoy your Friday night at HSNCT.
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20