Super ACRONYM and Side Events at Toronto (August 17-18, 2019)

Old college threads.
everdiso
Wakka

Super ACRONYM and Side Events at Toronto (August 17-18, 2019)

Post by everdiso »

The University of Toronto will be hosting a mirror of Super ACRONYM on Saturday, August 17th, followed by several side events that evening and the following day. SUPER Acronym is a rather difficult trash tournament, and the event will be open to all people, who may play on teams of any sort. The side events will be GOLBEZ (video games), Scattergories (follow link for description) and MUSES (kind of classics, check the description). The tournaments will take place at Sidney Smith Hall on the University of Toronto campus.

Logistics

On Saturday, Super ACRONYM will begin at 10:00 a.m. in Sidney Smith Hall, on the western side of St. George Street slightly south of Harbord. The control room will be 2127, on the second floor. Please arrive in the control room by 9:45 if you are playing and 9:35 if you are bringing a buzzer or staffing. If you are late, the tournament will begin without you (including if your whole team is late; we will read tossups to empty chairs). If a staffer is late, they will forfeit their free lunch. Super ACRONYM will be followed in the evening by GOLBEZ.

On Sunday, Scattergories will begin at 9:00 a.m. in Sidney Smith. Control will again be room 2127 on the second floor. Arrive at control by 8:45 if you are playing or 8:35 if you are staffing or bringing buzzers. Once again, if you are late, we will start without you, and late staffers will forfeit their free lunches. We will play Scattergories before lunch and then MUSES after lunch.

Prices and Payment

SUPER ACRONYM PRICES:
Base price: $140
Buzzer discount: $10 per working set
Shorthanded discount: $30 per missing player
Distance discount: $5 per 200 kilometres one way per teammate (this stacks, so a team of four players each 500 kilometres away would get a $40 discount).
Early payment discount: $10 if you e-transfer me by Thursday, August 15th (or, like, fucking mail a cheque that gets to me by then or something, I guess??). E-transfers can be sent to [email protected].
Penalty: $10 will be added to your price if you sign up to bring a buzzer set but you do not bring it, you bring it but it doesn't work or you bring it late. This penalty wipes out your buzzer discount and then adds $10 to the original price. This will not apply if you let me know beforehand (this does not mean the morning of or night before) that you won't be bringing them, or if there's a legitimate reason (such as a car accident breaking the buzzers).
Minimum price: $50

Please note that payment will only be accepted by e-transfer, cheque or cash.

Each of the side events cost $20 per person to play.

Anyone who staffs any two of the four tournaments either gets to play a side event for free or a $20 discount for Super ACRONYM. These stack on teams, so a Super ACRONYM team with two qualifying staffers would get a $40 discount. However, a team with two players staffing one tournament each will nto get a discount.

Registration

To register, message me on Facebook or email me at either [email protected] or [email protected]. If registering for Super ACRONYM, include your team roster (this can be changed after your initial registration, I just want at least one name to start) and any discounts you might qualify for in the email or message. The registration deadline for all events 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 11th. Teams and people can still sign up after this time, but they would need my permission to do so: I will accept all registrations before this time but reserve the right to decline ones sent after it.

Field

Aaron dos Remedios, Aayush Rajasekaran, Christine Irwin, Faith Barrett, Rachel Bentley
Angus Paterson, Gareth Thorlakson, Ian Chow, James Wang, Marcus Forbes-Green
Brian Luong, Leslie "Joe Su" Newcombe, Luc Foster, Milan Fernandez
David Simon, Luka Obrovac
Drew Scheeler, Steve Oppenheim
Erik Christensen, Ian Greig, Jenny Mao, Paul Kasiński
Meghan Torchia, Raymond Chen, Simone Valade

Comment in this thread, message me or email me if you have any questions. I hope to see many of you there!
Last edited by everdiso on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Re: Super ACRONYM and Side Events at Toronto (August 17-18, 2019)

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

The logistics email says we're doing META on Sunday afternoon, but this post says it's MUSES. Which one is it? (both! both!)
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
everdiso
Wakka

Re: Super ACRONYM and Side Events at Toronto (August 17-18, 2019)

Post by everdiso »

We played all 8 rounds of GOLBEZ Saturday night. Drew, Simone and Meghan also played the early rounds, but only Steve, Luka and Erik stuck it out deep into the evening. Their final stats from 8 rounds:

Steve: 90.6 (19/48/8)
Luka: 40.0 (9/22/7)
Erik: 29.4 (9/14/12) (Also got a final boss question for 20 points)

Congratulations to Steve on his impressive win, and to Luka and Erik on giving him a strong challenge. The packets were enjoyed despite the late finishing time.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020