Sic Semper Trashis IV, Bristol VA, 3/21/2020 [POSTPONED]

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
TusculumPearson
Lulu

Sic Semper Trashis IV, Bristol VA, 3/21/2020 [POSTPONED]

Post by TusculumPearson »

NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED AND WILL RUN AT A LATER DATE WHEN VIRGINIA HIGH IS ABLE TO HOST IT. See update below.
We once again announce and invite registrations for the annual Southwest Virginia Academic Team Alliance (SWATA) trash tournament fundraiser, Sic Semper Trashis IV, which will be held at Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia on March 21, 2019.

This will, as usual, be a mirror of Bob Kilner’s Ohio Trash tournament, and will serve as an end-of-year gathering and celebration, open to all high schools and trash enthusiasts across the Southeast (and beyond). Secondarily, it will serve as a money-making endeavor for our Southwest Virginia teams preparing for trips to national competitions (HSNCT, SSNCT, PACE NSC).
If you're interested, just go ahead and sign up! We have a handy dandy Google Form for the purpose. If you're interested in staffing the tournament, we have a form for that too; please contact the tournament director, Chuck Pearson (through the forum direct messages or other means listed below) for that link.
We've reached both our preliminary and secondary field caps. The field for the tournament is closed.

LOGISTICS
Our host school again is Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia. The school is located approximately 5 minutes off Interstate 81’s Exit 3 or Exit 5, depending on whether you are coming from the north or south. The school is located at 1200 Long Crescent Drive, Bristol, VA 24201.

Our game plan is to start registration at 7:45 AM and hold a general meeting at 8:30, with a 9:00 AM start time.

There will be a high school only division as well as an open/college division. If you are a high school student, you are permitted to compete in the open division, but be aware that the piranha in the open division do not care about the age of the meat upon which they will feed.

Also, returning for its fourth iteration is the Jeremy Alexander Tabor Memorial Music Challenge, a song recognition game hosted by the tournament director (with sadness over the departure of the namesake to California). The preliminary round will take place between registration and the first match, with the Top 10 scorers taking up buzzers during awards to decide the champion (so, don’t take off too soon after the last matches!)

(For those not interested in the music game, there are discussions on a more academic/scholarly game during the lunch break in process.)

Per usual, there are no trophies, only prizes. Prizes will be (a) cheap and (b) trashy.

FEES
All fees can be negotiated to an extent, with two tenets in mind:
(A) Particularly for high schools, we want players to be able to play and not have money be an obstacle
(B) This is a fundraiser for our students. If you are able to pay full price, pay full price. If you feel led to toss some extra coins in the coffer, the funds are going straight to SWVA schools playing nationals
With those principles in mind, this is our fee structure:

High School Teams:
$50 for first team from a high school
$45 for each additional team from same high school
$15 per free agent from a high school
-$10 discount *per school* (not per team) for any Virginia high school that played a SWATA Saturday tournament (SMI at Honaker, LMIT at Gate City, State Line at Virginia High, or Tornado at Richlands) this season
-$10 discount *per school* that has not played a non-VHSL tournament in the past 5 years

Open/College Teams:
$80 per team
$25 per free agent

Discounts:
-$10 for staff supplied
-$5 for buzzers supplied

Open/College team minimum: $60, no HS team minimum.

If your school needs a break on fees in order to compete, please contact the tournament director. If your open team wants a break on fees in order to compete, consider the kids and dig deep.

CONTACT
The returning tournament director for SST IV is Chuck Pearson, with the support of and other SWATA executives and members. Contact Pearson through thesehere boards, Facebook (https://facebook.com/chuck.pearson), Twitter (@ShorterPearson), Insta (@shorterpearson) or by email at [email protected].

Host contacts are Ms. Carol Propst ([email protected]) and Mr. Noah Ashbrook ([email protected]).

DISCLAIMER
Some information is subject to change, if changes occur, they will be posted on this thread.

And, as always, in the words of the genial quizmaster, all decisions of the tournament director are arbitrary, capricious, and final.

We hope to see you for some traaaaaaashy fun on the 21st!
Last edited by TusculumPearson on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
---
Chuck Pearson, Tusculum University, general purpose East TN/SWVA quiz flunky, [email protected].

TusculumPearson
Lulu

Re: Sic Semper Trashis IV, Bristol VA, 3/21/2020

[The field update will return when the field is no longer in flux due to health concerns - if it returns at all.]
Last edited by TusculumPearson on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
---
Chuck Pearson, Tusculum University, general purpose East TN/SWVA quiz flunky, [email protected].

TusculumPearson
Lulu

[Obsolete message from when field hit cap on February 25th.]
---

TusculumPearson
Lulu

As of March 2nd, based on staffers committed, we've put a hard cap on the field. We'll consider additional registrants if we have teams drop from the field.

We look forward to the largest Sic Semper Trashis ever on March 21st!
---

TusculumPearson
Lulu

March 10th field update and other logistical concerns:

FIELD
The running update is above, but we're planning a tournament right now with ten open teams and sixteen high school teams. All teams added to the field since the "hard cap" was instituted had already communicated or committed additional staffers; we have that backlog cleared out. We legitimately can't take any more right now.

Of course, teams might drop out, and that would be more than understandable in this season, because...

COVID-19 / NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
This event is running at Virginia High School in Bristol, so we will be following any guidance the Bristol Virginia Public Schools release regarding school functions, and we will also pay close attention to the other participating school district's guidance as well in the light of the news. As of this moment, the event is still scheduled to run on March 21st, without delay.

We're going to take common sense measures on the day of the tournament to run a good and safe day. (Your personal common sense measures should be not shaking hands with the tournament director, because he has a beard and he's having the worst time retraining himself not to scratch it.)

If you do desire to drop a team from the field because of COVID-19 concerns, we completely understand! Simply send email to [email protected] and we'll get it taken care of. There might even be a team that takes your spot!

(It's genuinely bizarre to on the one hand be preparing for a quiz tournament - a trash tournament, even - while on the other hand be facing the dialogue about the novel coronavirus so heavily in higher education, but this is the uncertainty we live in right now!)

LUNCH
A statement that was here about Virginia High providing lunch has been deleted, per the March 12th update.
There are several fast food eateries of ever-increasing quality within a four-mile drive from campus should you choose to not remain on campus for lunch. Just follow guidance regarding restart of afternoon matches and time your food consumption appropriately.

STAFFERS
This is a big field! Amazingly, we have enough readers for it! However, we'd really not like to press several of the less experienced readers into working solo. We're still seeking staffers to help us out, especially if those staffers have experience scorekeeping. There's even an appropriately trashy staffer registration form for the purpose.

OTHER QUESTIONS?
I'm 100% around. Email, message, anything.
Last edited by TusculumPearson on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

TusculumPearson
Lulu

March 12th Sic Semper Trashis update, courtesy of our hosts at Virginia High:

"Greetings from Virginia High School. I’ve been in contact with our administration and asked if we can still move forward with hosting of Sic Semper Trashis on March 21st. In short, the response I received was, 'Yes, but as you know this is a fluid situation and could change at any time.' I’m reaching out in order to ask everyone who is planning on attending SST to please be flexible and fluid with us as we navigate the ever changing COVID-19 situation. We are, as of this writing, still planning to host SST but this may change as late as the evening of Friday, March 20th.

"Furthermore, we think it would be best if each team/school be responsible for their own lunch at the tournament. We feel that the exchange of food and money would be an unnecessary risk.

"As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or Carol Propst with any questions, and I will absolutely notify everyone if things change from our end here at Virginia High.

"Stay Healthy,
Noah Ashbrook and Carol Propst"

Noah Ashbrook is on Facebook and can be emailed at [email protected]. I can also pass along messages to Noah as needed.

None of us counted on trying to run our all-timer of a trash fundraiser in the midst of a pandemic. We're going to make the best decision for everyone concerned. Thank you for your patience with us.
---

TusculumPearson
Lulu

Between Tusculum's guidance to me regarding my own social distancing responsibilities and Virginia High School's guidance to our host faculty, Noah Ashbrook and Carol Propst, regarding students traveling to their campus: I've made the decision to postpone Sic Semper Trashis indefinitely.

That's an obvious decision in this moment, and I frankly welcome the guidance that leads me to this decision. I'm hopeful that we'll have the all-clear later in the spring to run the event, but we didn't see the world looking like this a week ago, and we don't know what the world will look like a week from now.

Thanks to all of you for your patience with this process and your understanding. I note with interest that we had no official cancellations even as the world continues to churn around us. I'm keeping that in mind as we move forward.
---