John Charles Daly III (Postponed)

Old college threads.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

John Charles Daly III (Postponed)

Post by bradleykirksey »

Hello all!

Sorry for the delay in getting this together. I'd explain why but I know you don't actually care about my personal life.

Peter Torres and I are mostly done with JCD III. It'll be ready for mirrors in late May if anyone's entrepid enough to run a tournament then. It's going to be pretty similar to JCD 2 (with Lame rules: https://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Lame), it'll be 10 rounds rounds of 20/22 (unless it's 9 rounds. But it won't be, it'll be 10), and it'll follow pretty much this distribution.

3.5/3.6 TV
3.5/3.6 Film
3.5/3.6 Sports
3.5/3.6 Music
2/2.1 Games
2/2.1 Other
.5/.5 Trash Lit
1.5/1.6 Mixed/Misc

It'll be $85/team. If you've got a competent staffer, you're playing with one or two people, or you're bringing buzzers, let us know and it probably will not be $85 for you.

We'd love to have mirrors of this again if possible. If you're looking to mirror it, please talk to Peter because I can't be trusted to handle money, count, or much else really. You can reach him at: petertorres9 [at] gmail [dot] [com] or you can use smoke signals. If you're not sure if you'd like to mirror it or not, JCD 2 should appear on the archives in the next day or two. We're hoping for $20 per team for mirrors.

Good luck, everyone, and stay healthy! Hopefully I'll see you all there.

Edit: Peter and I have decided that, whether or not it's safe to run a tournament this summer, it wouldn't be wise, as a lot of our friends would either have to sit out or be afraid. So, we're postponing this to some time tbd, ideally late summer or early fall. We're still going to be ready for mirrors in late May.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Re: John Charles Daly III (Postponed)

Post by bradleykirksey »

Because of the COVID crisis, this has been postponed to a later date. It's still mostly done, we'll meet any deadlines we've set for other mirrors so far, but we think it's unwise to run a tournament at that point, and it was probably overly-optimistic to try.
Bradley Kirksey
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

For whoever might care, this set just needs packetizing and it's good to go for mirrors or whatever else someone might need it for. It's pretty clearly not happening at the main site as long as Florida remains a hotbed in the middle of a deadly pandemic, but if anyone has other, safer uses for it, we could have it together tonight.
Bradley Kirksey
Alkres
Lulu

Post by Alkres »

was this set ever played, and if not could an online version be done?
Alan Kreisel. FSCJ.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The set got run in Canada. I don't know if the tournament's producers would be interested in running an online mirror, but I'd play.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not on here too much.

Without meaning to speak for Peter, I'd say that I'd be super bummed if we didn't get to do an an-person thing. I like quiz bowlers and quiz bowl environment more than I like rote trivial, honestly. (I say after 3 hours of Sporcle.) I'm personally comfortable sitting on this until we can safely meet again.

If other circuits wanted to do something online though, I don't super see how that affects me, and I'd imagine that Peter and I would be cool with helping run it if the date were convenient too.
Bradley Kirksey
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

bradleykirksey wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:50 pm Sorry for the late reply. I'm not on here too much.

Without meaning to speak for Peter, I'd say that I'd be super bummed if we didn't get to do an an-person thing. I like quiz bowlers and quiz bowl environment more than I like rote trivial, honestly. (I say after 3 hours of Sporcle.) I'm personally comfortable sitting on this until we can safely meet again.

If other circuits wanted to do something online though, I don't super see how that affects me, and I'd imagine that Peter and I would be cool with helping run it if the date were convenient too.
Given how it's increasingly looking like in person quiz bowl will be possible this summer, is there any plans for in person mirrors of this?
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Hey, thanks for your interest!

Yes, there will be a mirror at Munson in Georgia on June 26th. And while Peter and I haven't ironed out a date yet, I think that we're genuinely hoping to get a mirror run in Florida before the next school year begins.

If anyone is interested in running this set in a way that's safe and legal, we'd be glad for other people to use it!
Bradley Kirksey
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'd repeat suggestions for an online mirror, maybe if someone is interested in running for some $.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger