From Tony Taylorism to Pre-Lew Fordism: Baseball in the Second Half of the 20th Century

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Cheynem
Sin

From Tony Taylorism to Pre-Lew Fordism: Baseball in the Second Half of the 20th Century

Post by Cheynem »

I'm working on a series of 5-6 packets on baseball. As opposed to some previously announced events (comics, basketball, where did they go?), I have the "advantage" here of having literally not much else to do for a month.

The packets will be tossups-only. They will all cover the "second half of the 20th century," meaning from 1950 to 2000 (this does not mean that some clues will not overlap into other time periods, but the dominant answerline is on stuff and players from those periods). I think the packets and questions will be difficult but not stump the chump hard--I'll try and avoid things like "hey, name this player only known for one thing" or force you to constantly remember dates.

I hope to finish by the end of April--if I get a sense that some summer side events could happen, I'll see if this can get played in person. Otherwise (and I'll probably do this anyway at some point), I'll try and set up an online mirror.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: From Tony Taylorism to Pre-Lew Fordism: Baseball in the Second Half of the 20th Century

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I've never been more excited for a packet in my life.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Re: From Tony Taylorism to Pre-Lew Fordism: Baseball in the Second Half of the 20th Century

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 am I've never been more excited for a packet in my life.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
sportsrainman
Lulu

Post by sportsrainman »

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 am I've never been more excited for a packet in my life.
RT
Max Ryle
Cuba High '18
Mizzou '22
Mizzou Quizbowl VP
MOQBA Member
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

I'm so ready.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Can't wait to go 1/4/6 on this.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Would obviously prefer to play in person over online, but very excited for this.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Since an in person event is unlikely to happen until 2021, I've slowed production but am still chipping away (about 1/4 done). I'm hoping for it to be on the docket as a summer open or nationals event (depending on what the schedule looks like next year), but also still as an online event. As an online event can happen at any time, the timing will be pretty flexible there.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

So the pandemic and my own illness (followed my, uh, laziness) halted production of this, but I'm now working and hope to be finished by the end of August. Now the question is what to do--is there some fall open that could run this as a side event (seems like there's a lot of other, better side events)? Should I just do an online mirror?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Okay, after a VERY long delay, I'm into the last few innings of completing this set. I see there's no big event on Sunday after CO--would this work as a later day event there? Or should I just have this run as a Side Event Open thing?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

I'm very excited to for this and will be sure to play it when/wherever it happens, online or in-person. If it's at the Chicago Open, that'll confirm my attendance there. (Unless it's on August 12th weekend, since that's when José Bautista is getting inducted into the Level of Excellence!)
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

In case Paul hasn't seen this, this will be run at the July VCU Open and the August Minnesota Open. But probably online at some point too. Or if anywhere else wants to run this.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I should also further flesh out the description here.

There are 7 all-tossup packets. The main subject matter is the second half of the 20th century (1950-2000), although obviously there is some spillover into pre and post these eras. There isn't a set distribution, but I tried to vary answerlines and avoid clumping too many topics together. The only answerlines that would repeat would be teams and cities, with very different clues (i.e. like two tossups on the Yankees, one cluing only Babe Ruth and one cluing only Aaron Judge), but I also tried to avoid doing that too much.

The difficulty is about "medium," pretty easy-ish if you like the subject but with some challenging lead-ins and early clues (people old enough to have lived through some of the material in question might find some of the questions easier). I tried to avoid too many "stump the chump" or "known for only one thing" answerlines (there are some). The set almost specifically focuses on MLB, but there are some clues about international, college, and minor league baseball, as well as questions about general "baseball" culture.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Thanks for the update! I won't be at either of those events, but I will certainly play if/when an online mirror happens.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will post this set soon.

I plan on reading through the packets sometime next week in Discord just as a shootout. I'm tentatively planning for 10 EST on Wednesday night.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Are you considering doing a second set of this at some point? Possibly going into the 21st century?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Possibly, although certainly not too far into the 21st century.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota