BUMPY iii - A Visual Film Tournament

Old college threads.
funkdaddio
Lulu

BUMPY iii - A Visual Film Tournament

Post by funkdaddio »

I am very pleased to make an announcement for the third installment of BUMPY, BUMPY iii . The set will consist of 100 "Name the movie" questions, each of which have 10 image clues. There are powers marked with a blue border and no penalty on the giveaway which has a green border.
The movies spread across all genres but 95% of them would be classified as trash. There's a 15/85 split between pre-1990 and post 1990.

Mirrors will be available starting the first weekend of August 2020. Email me here or at [email protected] for more info or to set up a mirror.
BUMPY i and ii is currently free to play and found in the Trash Quizbowl Packet Archive.
Last edited by funkdaddio on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Re: BUMPY iii

Post by Gene Harrogate »

:party:
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
Cheynem
Sin

Re: BUMPY iii

Post by Cheynem »

i love bumpy and i hope this is hard
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
funkdaddio
Lulu

Re: BUMPY iii - A Visual Film Tournament

Post by funkdaddio »

BUMPY iii will be ready for mirrors as of OCT1st, please DM for more info.
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

This was sick. Clues were excellent and very good looking. Everyone should play this.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
andrew_yim
Kimahri

Post by andrew_yim »

Gene Harrogate wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:04 pm This was sick. Clues were excellent and very good looking. Everyone should play this.
I had a lot of fun playing it. I recommend any movie-watcher to play it.

user reminded to enable signature. -mgmt
180lb6'3
Lulu

Post by 180lb6'3 »

I staffed a mirror of this today and wanted to add a strong endorsement. This was an excellent tournament. The answerlines were chosen well -- a few surprises and always interesting. The clues were well ordered to reward deeper engagement. I noticed players getting questions for different, interesting reasons -- one because he had read a review of the film that analyzed a scene shown in an early clue, another who knew only the premise of a film but figured out the answer by the giveaway because of the expressive clues. There are a few stylistic novelties that were a lot of fun.

One aspect worth highlighting is the stunning visual quality of this tournament. One experienced player in my room commented that "the tournament itself is a work of art", which I think is accurate -- the screencaps were visually pleasing, insightfully chosen, high-resolution, and so on. Staffing was particularly enjoyable because of this.

In my opinion this is the best iteration of BUMPY yet, and I would encourage others to play it -- based on today's reception I think it will be widely enjoyed.
Daniel Lovsted
McGill University
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

Held a private reading of the set, with the following stats:

Code: Select all

Juliet M:     15/38/ 0 (605)
Dylan M:       8/ 4/17 + 0/1/0 on tiebreaker (85)
Jason T:       6/ 3/ 5 (85)
Bernadette S:  4/ 1/ 3 (55)
Tejas R:       3/ 1/ 0 (55)
Rob C:         0/ 6/ 1 (55)
Chris M:       2/ 3/ 2 (50)
Matt B:        1/ 4/ 7 (20) - only played 3 rounds
Auroni G:      1/ 0/ 2 (5)
Very quality set - several of us felt like Julien should have charged us more money, because these are good questions and a lot of work clearly went into them. As is, it's a steal; get it while you can!
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Will this set be posted online at same point?
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

MLafer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am Will this set be posted online at same point?
Wait, please don't post it yet! Mike Cheyne and I were going to organize an informal online mirror.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'd still like to play, yeah. The holidays and finishing my own set really took out a lot of my time in December.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

I would also be interested in playing an informal mirror before the packets are posted! Please let me know if there is one set up.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
funkdaddio
Lulu

Post by funkdaddio »

:party:
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

I would also be interested in an informal mirror if that's still being organized
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
fritzstl
Kimahri

Post by fritzstl »

I would be interested in playing this!
Charlie Fritz
Villa Duchesne '11
Northwestern '15
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Played this with film enthusiasts who are not necessarily quizbowlers, and it went very well.

Highly recommended for all the film lovers in your life.
Isaac Renert

15th and 9th out of 16 at Reach Nationals 2016 and 2017, designated "character pick" of 2017 Reach MVPs.

Capilano University, 2017-2019
Brock University, 2019-2021
Queen's University 2022-2023

gesamtkunstwerk-in-progress
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Add me to the list of folks who are very interested in playing this (and paying for it!) if another mirror is added.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
RDNJ
Kimahri

Post by RDNJ »

I'd also be very interested in playing that aforementioned informal mirror, if it's still on the table!

User was reminded to enable a signature - Mgmt
Rohan Navaneetha
'23 Solon High School
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

I'm finally trying to organize the online mirror that I mentioned a while back. If you're interested in playing, please fill out this poll.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

If you're interested in playing BUMPY but haven't filled out the form, please do so by tomorrow (02/19). On Saturday, I'll announce the date.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

The votes are in. The most popular time is the afternoon of Sunday, March 7th. I understand this to mean that we’re going to start between 11 AM –12 PM Pacific time / 2–3 PM Eastern time. I’ll announce the exact start time closer to the date. Apparently, prior iterations of this ran about 4 hours.

I’m tentatively setting the fee per player at $7. Sign up here. It’s first come first served, and we may need to waitlist people. How many players we can accommodate will depend on how many moderators we can get. I’m limiting each room to 8 players max.

If you’re interested in staffing this, please let me know. (I’m playing this, rather than staffing; also, I have no idea how to do just about anything on Discord.) You will be paid.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The spreadsheet is view-only.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Cheynem wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:28 pm The spreadsheet is view-only.
Fixed.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

The field is full. Please feel free to join the waitlist.

The format will be one seeding round, in which we are broken into four rooms of six. This will sort us into three rooms of eight. The rest of the tournament will use a standard ladder format in those three rooms—after each round, the bottom two in the top room go down, top two in the middle room go up, bottom two in the middle room go down, and top two in the bottom room go up.

Those of you who have played ladder tournaments instituted by me will be unsurprised to learn that final standings in the tournament will be players’ cumulative score across the non-seeding rounds, with variable scoring in the rooms. None of this nonsense where only the top room counts, or the last two rounds in the top room count as finals. Your final score for the tournament is: (Your score in the top room x 10) + (Your score in the middle room x 3) + (Your score in the bottom room).

Thus far, Olivia Murton is our only staffer. We need two more for the whole tournament, and one more for just the seeding round. Please contact me to let me know if you’re interested. (I'm presuming you know how to show images in a Discord match.) There’s a total of $48 to be distributed among the staffers, so the payment rate is better per hour than most tournaments, and you don’t even need to read questions aloud!
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

If you are in the field for this tournament, you should have just received an e-mail from me containing a link to the Discord server. The e-mail also discusses payment. I'm asking everyone to pay by 12 PM CT on Saturday, as confirmation of registration. If you don't pay by then, I'll replace you with someone on the waiting list. (Once you've paid, I'll highlight your name in green on the spreadsheet.)

The tournament begins at 2:30 PM ET / 1:30 PM CT / 12:30 PM MT / 11:30 AM PT, this Sunday, March 7th. Please arrive at least 10–15 minutes in advance of the start time, so we can begin the seeding round promptly.

Speaking of the seeding round, we have enough staff (three) to cover the bulk of the tournament. But for our ideal format, it would be great to have one more reader just for the first round. (So we can start with four rooms of six.) If you're available to do this (it should take ~45 minutes), please contact me.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

reindeer
Wakka

Post by reindeer »

Thanks to everyone who played or staffed! This was a lot of fun to read. Congratulations to Lawrence Simon, who went 14/7/1 over 4 rounds in the top room to win with 2750 points. The results from the post-seeding rounds are available here.
Olivia M
TJ, MIT, Harvard, ACF