Hal Prince Memorial Tournament (July 25)

Old college threads.
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Hal Prince Memorial Tournament (July 25)

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Hello friends!

I have been working on a three-packet, tossup-only mini-set of questions on musical theatre that I've named The Hal Prince Memorial Tournament that I'm planning on reading on a Discord server some time at the end of July. This set is aimed at a Nats-level difficulty, with the goal to make the difficulty gradually increase between packets such that packet 1 is the least difficult of the three and packet 3 the most difficult.

Packet Details
The musicals covered in the packet will generally lean more contemporary, fitting into the following (completely arbitrary) distribution:
22/0 2000-present
18/0 1975-1999
12/0 1950-1974
8/0 1949 and earlier

There will be a good mix of content, covering important characters, songs, and themes in different musicals, as well as including a variety of different sources of content including stage musicals, movie musicals, and some criticism (although stage musicals are still the predominant source of content). These questions are power-marked.

Event Details
I would like to aim to read this set at 1 PM ET on July 25th on a Discord server that I will post below when we get closer to that date. I am including a Google Form below that people should fill out if they would like to participate, which includes a question about availability at that date and time so that if there's interest but a lot of people have conflicts with that date then I can make changes as needed.

Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Cost
I am not imposing any set cost to those who wish to participate. I am however asking that everyone who does participate make a suggested $15 donation to the Actors Fund (link below), an organization that is helping support entertainment professionals on Broadway and across the country who are struggling due to the pandemic. Any donations below or above that amount that you can make are more than welcome!

Actors Fund: https://secure2.convio.net/afa/site/Don ... 38793D5CD0

Please feel free to respond below or via private message if you have any questions.
Last edited by Lawrence Simon on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Re: Hal Prince Memorial Tournament (July 25)

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Excellent!
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is there a way to have a format that doesn't involve like 50 people playing a shootout?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Is there a way to have a format that doesn't involve like 50 people playing a shootout?
If there's enough interest based on responses to the Google Form that reading the set once gets too many people to be manageable I would definitely be okay reading it on multiple occasions to spread those numbers out. I've already gotten a response with a conflict on the designated date so I may do that anyway.
Lawrence Simon
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

If you can shanghai some people into reading, you could also consider running multiple rooms in a ladder format.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

If you can shanghai some people into reading, you could also consider running multiple rooms in a ladder format.
I agree that this would be a fun way to keep the rooms from getting too crowded. I'll start asking around for moderators, but in the meantime, if you are interested in reading for this set please message me!
Lawrence Simon
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

We're now at the point with signups where I would prefer to have two rooms of this set playing in a ladder format to make sure that we're not overcrowding one room. If you are interested in volunteering to moderate the second room of this tournament, please fill out the Google Form below.

Moderator Sign-Up form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Yd4RA3 ... 5EICQ/edit

Additionally, the first two people to fill out the tournament player form above did so before I added a request for everyone's emails to the form. If you have filled out the form but have not provided me with your email address, I have allowed people to edit their submissions to please do so to make sure I have everyone's emails.
Lawrence Simon
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Assuming this is still happening tomorrow, are you planning on sending out logistical details soon?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Yes this is still happening tomorrow and I am planning on sending out logistical details later today.

Also, there is still room for more to join tomorrow's tournament if anyone's interested!
Last edited by Lawrence Simon on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Simon
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

I just sent out the email to those signed up to play tomorrow that included links to the Discord rooms.

Please let me know if you signed up and did not receive this email ASAP!
Lawrence Simon
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Thank you to everyone who played this set and to Jack Mehr for reading so we could have two rooms.

Congratulations to John Lawrence on winning the tournament! John had both the most overall points and the highest point total in Room 1 in the last round.

Point totals from today's tournament are posted below:
John Lawrence: 210 points
Kevin Marshall: 185 points
Allison Holley: 135 points
Karsten Rynearson: 130 points
Sophia Marianiello: 120 points
Brooke Martin: 115 points
Peter Schmidt: 100 points
Wonyoung Jang: 95 points
Jason Golfinos: 85 points
Michael Yue: 75 points
Eric Gunter: 60 points
Alex Dzurick: 40 points
Drew Scheeler: 40 points
David Dennis: 25 points
Alex Schmidt: 25 points
Zach Bernstein: 20 points
Richard Zhang: 20 points
Avivit Ashman: 15 points
James Lasker: 0 points

I am not going to be posting the packets to the database just yet as I have gotten enough interest in a mirror of this set to hold off on that for now. Be on the lookout for that soon if you wanted to play but couldn't make it today!
Lawrence Simon
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Thank you again to everyone who played this set! I was not able to find a time to run a second mirror, but one of the participants requested to use the set for a closed mirror which is why it's taken me some time to follow through on posting the packets. I made some small edits to the set between readings but otherwise, the reception has been very positive and I'm very happy with how the set turned out.

The packets have now been uploaded to the database and can be found here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/questionsets/2519/
Lawrence Simon