PAveMEnT: A Remote Cooperation Audio Tournament (Winter 2020)

Old college threads.
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

PAveMEnT: A Remote Cooperation Audio Tournament (Winter 2020)

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

I’m pleased to announce PAveMEnT (Popular Music Auditory Music Enthusiast Tournament): A Remote Cooperation Audio Tournament. PAveMEnT is an online music doubles tournament oriented around popular music, i.e. non-classical music. The tournament will be written by myself, Taylor Harvey, Wonyoung Jang, Victor Pavao, Isaac Renert, and Lea Wittman, to be played this winter - the first mirror will be held from December 7th to 18th. This tournament, like the recent audio tournament MARCATo, will be hosted by Qblitz and will be inspired by MARCATo’s format and execution. We are actively looking for additional writers, particularly for representation of “pop music” in earnest (i.e. Billboard Top 100, etc.). Please contact me ASAP via email (yflee at stanford.edu) or DM if you would like to collaborate with us to write this tournament. (We've rounded out the writing team. Thank you to Wonyoung, Victor, and Lea for being willing to help out!)

The exact format of the tournament will be decided by a poll. For context, this was MARCATo’s format:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 am The basic format of the tournament is as follows: Rounds are spread over multiple days, one round per day. On each game day, each two-person team is paired with an opposing team. Each player is sent a link to the 20 tossups for that round. Each tossup is constructed as it would be in Imaginary Landscape: one minute of (usually) six clips, arranged in pyramidal order. The playing mechanics are much as they are on Qblitz and Buzzword: the question is "read" to each player alone, they buzz, type in an answer, and the computer records where they buzzed and what answer they gave. The earliest buzz from each team counts as that team's buzz on the question. If both teams give the correct answer, only the earlier correct buzz earns points. Tossups are worth 10, and negs are worth -5. The higher-scoring team in each head-to-head is the wins that game.
(Additionally, if a team negs, then the other team gets the tossup if either player’s answer is correct. This way of handling negs was voted on via poll during the initial MARCATo mirror, and we intend to follow suit.)

Noah Prince from Qblitz has pointed out to me and my cowriters that Qblitz has the capacity to handle certain kinds of tournament formats that would not be possible in real life. For example, the second mirror of MARCATo used the first round to seed the teams into brackets by simulating a full round robin with all teams. Tournaments could, through this mechanism, play round robins within brackets in a single round. This, however, de-emphasizes (or, perhaps, renders inert) the ability to strategize while playing against a particular team with particular known strengths, which one could do effectively by utilizing buzzing data available to you through Qblitz.

Thus, we are leaving the format up to a poll, and have developed two options, which we will name A and B. Option A is to stick to the basic MARCATo format. Thus, we will play many rounds on consecutive days, with most (if not all) of the rounds being head-to-head matches against teams in brackets. The precise number of rounds in this scenario is dependent on player interest, though we are generally willing to write up to 12 packets of 20 tossups each. We will mirror this tournament again if interest remains.

Option B is more interesting. If option B wins, we will write twelve 20-tossup packets and run one tournament off of the first 6 packets, with each round being played on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule for two weeks. We will run another tournament at least a month afterwards on the second 6 packets that we write on the same format: during that month, we plan to adjust question difficulty by rewriting questions and answerlines. We will, again, mirror either of these tournaments that we run again if interest remains.

If neither option A nor B seem satisfying to the field, we will run additional polls. People who strongly prefer a format other than A or B can include a description of their preferred format in the poll at the end of this post under the “Other…” option.

The above information is no longer up-to-date. See the latest post in this thread for information about how to register and vote on the final format of the tournament.

The entry fee per player (per tournament/mirror) will be $15, with a portion being donated to COVID relief charities. The distribution entirely consists of popular music genres. The average difficulty of the tournament is also intended to be somewhat easier than that of MARCATo - the range of expected difficulty will be college nats to open level questions. The tentative distribution is as follows (questions will primarily be within one genre and era, but license will be given to include cross-genre clues where need be):

2 pop music from 1950-1989
2 pop music from 1990-2020
1 soul, blues, pre-1960 rock
1 country, folk
2 jazz / Great American Songbook
1 electronic music / electronica / house music
3.5 rap, hip-hop, and R&B
1.5 rock from 1960-1979
1.5 rock from 1980-1999
1.5 rock from 2000-2020
3 extra or misc. tossups - these can span across genres and eras

(A special note here that the rock distribution will include metal music, and the extra/misc. distribution will include multimedia questions.)
Last edited by Dantooine is Big! on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:44 am, edited 7 times in total.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Re: PAveMEnT: A Remote Cooperation Audio Tournament (Winter 2020)

It occurs to me that this should probably be in the trash section; could a mod move the thread there? Thanks!
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Am I not understanding Option B? Is it literally just two different tournaments? Do the results of the first tournament result in seeding or placement for the second?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Cheynem wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:35 pm Am I not understanding Option B? Is it literally just two different tournaments? Do the results of the first tournament result in seeding or placement for the second?
They're not intended to result in placement or seeding for the second. Does this strike you as odd or unreasonable?
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

It's not unreasonable, but I guess I don't see the particular attraction--is the field and rosters exactly the same?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Cheynem wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:09 pm It's not unreasonable, but I guess I don't see the particular attraction--is the field and rosters exactly the same?
No, the idea is that the field and rosters could be different between the tournaments, as well as the mirrors of the tournaments.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Ah, okay, that makes more sense.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

The distribution has been updated to reflect an increase in "pop music" representation:
Ye Unfeeling Romeo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 pm 2 pop music from 1950-1989
1 soul, blues, folk, country, pre-1960 rock
3 jazz / Great American Songbook
1.5 rock from 1960-1979
1.5 rock from 1980-1999
1.5 rock from 2000-2020
Also, the following disclaimer has been added:
Ye Unfeeling Romeo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 pm (questions will primarily be within one genre and era, but license will be given to include cross-genre clues where need be)
A reminder to keep those interest form submissions coming! We're excited for what is to come.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

The final distribution change, and an addendum to answer questions that have been asked privately to me about the distribution, are as follows (the distribution change reflects a decrease in jazz and an increase in soul, blues, pre-1960 rock, country, and folk):
Ye Unfeeling Romeo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 pm 2 pop music from 1950-1989
1 soul, blues, pre-1960 rock
1 country, folk
2 jazz / Great American Songbook
1.5 rock from 1960-1979
1.5 rock from 1980-1999
1.5 rock from 2000-2020

(A special note here that the rock distribution will include metal music, and the extra/misc. distribution will include multimedia questions.)
Also, the results of the poll for the date of the first mirror have come in. The first mirror will be held from December 7th to 18th.

The final format of the tournament will be, again, up to a vote from those who register for the tournament. The previous vote has demonstrated that people would, overwhelmingly, prefer option A, i.e. that the tournament be held on consecutive days and be mostly head-to-head. Many people in the community, however, have expressed to me privately that they would like to see the tournament be held entirely on Qblitz full field round-robin simulations, where every round consists of every team playing against every other team using Qblitz buzzing data. To that end, people who register can vote for option X or option Y. Option X is a hybrid format, where initial rounds will be full field round-robin simulations to seed teams into either prelim or playoff brackets, after which play will consist of head-to-head rounds - whoever wins the finals wins the tournament. Option Y is a Qblitz specific format, where every round simulates a full field round-robin, and the winner at the end of the tournament is the team with the highest win percentage. Note that option X necessitates a field cap, since it cannot accommodate fields with arbitrary numbers of teams, whereas option Y can.

A team formation spreadsheet can be found here. To register your team, please fill out this form and pay your two $15 registration fees via either Venmo (@youngflee99), Paypal (youngflee99 at gmail.com), or an alternate method that can be arranged (please contact me via yflee at stanford.edu or via DMs on this forum). Your registration is NOT complete until your team has filled out this form and you both have paid your registration fee.

Thank you all for your interest and attention!
Last edited by Dantooine is Big! on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can there be like a team formation sheet? I'm kind of interested in playing, but I don't want to register until I have a partner secured.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Cheynem wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm Can there be like a team formation sheet? I'm kind of interested in playing, but I don't want to register until I have a partner secured.
Sorry about that - just fixed this, look above for a team formation sheet! :)
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Hello all!

Due to extenuating circumstances, Young has had to step back in terms of their involvement with PAveMEnT and I’ve now taken the reins as the head editor of this set. The writing team would like to thank Young for all of their work into organizing this set.

It seems that a reasonable majority of the field is interested in having a competitive tournament structure similar to MARCATo, so we’re going to be setting a field cap of 36 teams for this event. For anyone who’s forgotten to sign up, the current field registration/team formation sheet is here.

For those who have missed out on signups, we hope to have a second mirror in the near future.

Victor Pavao and I will be handling payments from American and Canadian participants respectively, so if you are:

American: Please send your payments to Victor’s Venmo @vcpavao (we will be posting PayPal information ASAP)

Canadian: Please send your payments to my Interac e-Transfer [email protected]. My PayPal, for those who prefer, is [email protected]. Payment is still $15 USD or $20 CAD.

The payment deadline is Tuesday, November 24th.

We’re looking forward to seeing you all there!
Isaac Renert

15th and 9th out of 16 at Reach Nationals 2016 and 2017, designated "character pick" of 2017 Reach MVPs.

Capilano University, 2017-2019
Brock University, 2019-2021
Queen's University 2022-2023

gesamtkunstwerk-in-progress
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Hello everyone!

The first mirror of PAveMEnT is fast approaching, and I just want to extend how excited we, the writing team, are for all of you to hear these questions!

I will note a couple of things for those of you who are playing, it is crucial that this list is read before playing:

1. If you have not already, PLEASE register a QBlitz account. A link to do so can be found here.

2. The tossups were generated using a program that utilized rips from YouTube videos. While the writing team chose links with a moderate-high quality, the volume levels of each clue are not entirely consistent amongst the entire set. That said, while none of these clues are entirely too loud or too quiet for any headphone user, I would recommend keeping an eye on the volume keys in addition to your buzzer finger.

3. For those of you that did not play MARCATo, you may NOT discuss clues with your partner until both of you have played the day’s round. This includes providing information like “I negged on Question 12, please try and get it earlier” or “This pack contains a lot of 70s music”. I understand that this an honour system type of rule, but please, why would you try and cheat at an event like this?

4. If there is a scenario where both players on a team provide an answer at the very end of a question and the opposing team has negged, even if one of the players provides a wrong answer before a correct answer is provided by the other player, the question is still gotten. As consultation is not permitted amongst players, this ensures that a team is indeed rewarded for the knowledge they provide.
Isaac Renert

15th and 9th out of 16 at Reach Nationals 2016 and 2017, designated "character pick" of 2017 Reach MVPs.

excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Post by excessive dismemberment »

If this information is available and I just missed it, my bad, but can we get more info about the schedule of this tournament and how it'll really work?
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

excessive dismemberment wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:36 pm If this information is available and I just missed it, my bad, but can we get more info about the schedule of this tournament and how it'll really work?
Hi Rudra, Young has quoted John Lawrence's explanation of the MARCATo format in the opening post. If you cannot see it there, I'll copy it here:

"The basic format of the tournament is as follows: Rounds are spread over multiple days, one round per day. On each game day, each two-person team is paired with an opposing team. Each player is sent a link to the 20 tossups for that round. Each tossup is constructed as it would be in Imaginary Landscape: one minute of (usually) six clips, arranged in pyramidal order. The playing mechanics are much as they are on Qblitz and Buzzword: the question is "read" to each player alone, they buzz, type in an answer, and the computer records where they buzzed and what answer they gave. The earliest buzz from each team counts as that team's buzz on the question. If both teams give the correct answer, only the earlier correct buzz earns points. Tossups are worth 10, and negs are worth -5. The higher-scoring team in each head-to-head is the wins that game."

I hope this helps!
Isaac Renert

Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

I have a quick survey for people currently playing PAveMEnT on whether they'd be interested in buzzpoints being publicly released. If you are playing this tournament, please respond.

https://forms.gle/qdFgqTaAUBrFr2PA6
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Hello all!

I would like to make an announcement that this set must be played on the Google Chrome browser. I apologize to any players who were affected by the problems brought on by using different browsers, and believe this will rectify most, if not all, future problems.

Please message me on Discord (weebyjeebys#3076), Facebook (Isaac Renert), or by email ([email protected]) if you experience any technical difficulties within a round.

By popular demand, we will be attempting to release advanced stats and buzzpoints consistently throughout the event. Players, stay tuned, and enjoy the rest of the set!
Isaac Renert

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Huh, FWIW I used Firefox and everything worked fine.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Hello everyone!

There have been some technical difficulties for players using QBlitz today, so if you have not played today's round (Round 6), please do not try and play until further notice.

For players that have been experiencing issues, and may have had questions skipped, please note down what questions you were unable to see in-game, and we will try and make sure every single player hears all 20 questions.

Thank you all for your patience!
Isaac Renert

weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

weebyjeebys wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:51 am Hello everyone!

There have been some technical difficulties for players using QBlitz today, so if you have not played today's round (Round 6), please do not try and play until further notice.

For players that have been experiencing issues, and may have had questions skipped, please note down what questions you were unable to see in-game, and we will try and make sure every single player hears all 20 questions.

Thank you all for your patience!
The site seems to be working again, please feel free to play Round 6, but please immediately let myself or Noah ([email protected]) of any issues you may be having. Once again, thank you for your patience!
Isaac Renert

VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Thank you to the PAveMEnT team for a really enjoyable set! I had a ton of fun :party:

I did not take detailed notes, and am not sure I am truly equipped to give constructive feedback. I think there were a good amount of challenging questions. The answer lines and giveaways balanced being approachable and requiring the player to know something about the topic. I would strongly recommend this tournament to everyone!
Eleanor
they/she
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

To coincide with the deadline of the last round, the discussion forums for the set have been opened.

Thank you all for playing!
Isaac Renert

Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

Thanks for putting this together Isaac and writers! I think everyone I know who played agrees that the daily audio format was extremely fun. I hope a lot of people play the second mirror.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Congratulations to When you were partying, I studied the Bladee (Ali Saeed, Patrick DeMichele) for taking 1st place in an intense 5-point game against I Did It All for the Gnocchi (Ned Tagtmeier, Kenji Shimizu)!

Congratulations as well to Clair de Loona (William Golden, Ethan Strombeck) for taking 3rd in another intense 5-point match!
Isaac Renert

The Unbearable Lightness of Negging
Lulu

Post by The Unbearable Lightness of Negging »

Thanks Taylor, Wonyoung, Victor, Isaac, Lea, and Young for bringing us this excellent, tasteful set. I don't think I've ever had more fun playing quizbowl!

I'll leave more comprehensive feedback privately, but in general, I thought the set was great. For Dr. Prince, I'll note that I played the entire tournament using Firefox and ran into no technical difficulties. I hope the PAveMEnT staff have great winter holidays.
Ali
Stevenson '17
Stanford '21
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

This was a really fun event.

In fact, it was so fun that Nathan Weiser, Kyle Sutherlin, and I are going to write an audio tournament of our own. We'll put up an official announcement once we work out the distribution, but as a preview it will be largely rock music oriented. I am not aware of any other audio music tournament announcements, but if I've somehow missed one, we're happy to run our event far enough out so that players don't get burned out.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I have a small one in February probably.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Hello everyone.

We are going to be running a second mirror of the PAveMEnT set on QBlitz from February 20th, 2021 to March 3rd, 2021.

Here is the team formation spreadsheet.

We currently have a large amount of free agents registered, so if players are interested, perhaps contact a free agent to make a team. We are going to be setting a deadline for team formation of free agents, which will be February 6th, 2021.

The remaining free agents will be assigned to teams chosen by the PAveMEnT team based on complementary strengths listed in the document. In the unfortunate event that there may be more free agents than the field cap, we will attempt to work on a first come, first serve basis, or consider expanding the field.

Victor Pavao and I will be handling payments from American and Canadian participants respectively, so if you are:

American: Please send your payments to Victor’s Venmo @vcpavao or his PayPal at [email protected].
Canadian: Please send your payments to my Interac e-Transfer [email protected]. My PayPal is the same email.

The cost of entry is $15 USD or $20 CAD per player, and the payment deadline will be February 10th, 2021. We plan to continue donating a portion of the proceeds to charity.

We look forward to seeing you there!
Isaac Renert

weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Today is the registration deadline, and I'm going to ask free agents to please post their strengths and weaknesses as a player so they can get grouped with a player with complementary strengths/weaknesses.

Thank you!
Isaac Renert

aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

I've been really enjoying both the event and using Qblitz so far! However, I think there could be some improvements to the "Review Questions" page:
  • Display the question prompt when showing each question
  • The ability to jump to a particular question number (rather then clicking forward multiple times)
  • A list of the question numbers and answers so finding a particular question is easier (this is included in the "View Matches" page but not the "Review Questions" page)
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
weebyjeebys
Lulu

Post by weebyjeebys »

Congratulations to Father of Asahd Mothers Temple (Erik Christensen and Joseph Krol) for winning the second PAveMEnT mirror in a two-day final against Unfunny /mu/ Memes (Owen Finlay and James Malouf). Both teams demonstrated amazing musical prowess with amazing scores and buzzes throughout, and the final was well fought.

Congratulations as well to Genre Tags: Twee Pop, Free Jazz, YouTube Parody (Michael Coates and Will Holub-Moorman), who were able to eke out third place in their two-day final over What Do You Mean There's No Wave? (Evan Nagler and Eric Kwartler) by a mere 10 points!

Once again, the team would like to thank all players for participating in these events. We hope to have given you a fun, interesting, engaging, and mostly holistic competitive musical experience, and we really appreciate all of the feedback and support we have received.

The discussion forum from the previous mirror is still open, so if you would like to express gratitude or any concerns about the event, please head there!
Isaac Renert

Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

Are there plans for any future mirrors of this tournament? I'd personally be interested in playing something like a shootout on discord. Or, if not, can the questions be released in some format?
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11