The second idea was the thought that there are definitely times when I’ve decided that a charitable contribution to X would be good. But I always think “Is this really the ~best~ time to donate? Why now? Is this really the ~best~ place to donate to, provided that I have decided that donating is something I should do?”. I decide that if donating to Y is better than donating to X, then I shouldn’t donate to X because that money would be better spent on Y. But since it’s impossible to figure out exactly what Y is, I end up not donating anything at all. Donating nothing is clearly worse than donating to X, but since I don’t research charities, I’m hesitant to give to X spontaneously while knowing that there is probably something much better out there. So I decided that I should come up with an excuse to make donating to charity (and thinking about charity) something I do on a regular basis. And I thought that that might be something that other people would want, too.
Alright, the project! Share Our Wealth is a low-commitment monthly event. Each month, I will read a packet of less serious quality and a packet of more serious quality. The topics of these packets will be announced in advance, so you can decide beforehand whether you want to participate or not. In the beginning these packets will be primarily written by me, but I’m hoping that people submit their own niche packets further down the line. The competition uses a Pay What You Want fee structure. Or, more accurately, a Donate What You Want fee structure. To enter a month’s competition, DM me a screenshot of a non-political (don’t donate to a candidate or party, I’m not trying to enrich the media corporations) charitable contribution timestamped between the last month's event and this month's event. This can be a donation of any amount. $0.01 and $100 are both totally acceptable amounts! I’m not going to judge you. You can also choose to play one packet for the month and not the other. It’s all up to you. Just let me know which ones you plan to play so I can do ~stats~. Here are the packets I have planned so far:
Undercard: I have a stockpile of poetry tossups of dubious quality that I wrote in high school. These tossups are on poems by poets that are solidly high school canon, but the answerlines are occasionally quite difficult. I plan to read these as a casual shootout.
Headline: Pop 2 is a second packet for popheads and other adjacent musical enthusiasts. This packet will be similar in style but a bit more difficult than Tree of Clues, my previous venture. The distribution contains approximately 10% hyperpop and 10% k-pop, and the rest of the distribution is relatively normal other pop content. You can expect tossups on artists, songs, albums, and common links.
- I have a half-packet of tossups written by Clark Smith and myself about the famous YouTube playlist Important Videos. I’m really not sure how this is going to play out.
- Shadows and Robots is a packet on webcomics, with a focus on webcomics that are stories as opposed to gag-a-day webcomics. This packet is probably pretty difficult.
- Live out your inner anime dreams with a general packet written in the style of the show 7O3X. Questions will include both parallel and sequential formats (accent rules included).
- Triumvirate is a packet on three web serials that are all quite long: Worm, Mother of Learning, and The Wandering Inn. The packet will try not to be too punishing on difficulty.
- I may make a half-packet on chess with a focus on chess openings.
- And I still have a stockpile of random high school difficulty science tossups that could be used as a shootout if I run out of ideas.
This is NOT an official Month One announcement-- I’m waiting to make one with time and date until I am able to gauge interest and pick a time that works best for everyone. But I also want to give people an opportunity to point out any logistical problems this could have. So don't DM me yet! If you're interested, please vote in the poll for which upcoming times and dates would be most convenient for you, and join the Discord server so I can get a sense of how many people want to play. Also, please DM me if you’d be interested in contributing a niche packet of your own in the future! Thanks!