11/6 Share Our Wealth: Pop 2

Old college threads.
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

11/6 Share Our Wealth: Pop 2

Post by username_crisis_averted »

The November edition of Share Our Wealth will be happening on November 6th at 5PM Central. If you're interested, please join the Discord at this link. To play for this month, either DM me a screenshot of a charitable contribution of any amount that was made after 10/22/20 OR just drop that screenshot right here in this thread. Go ahead, call attention to the organization that you're donating to! Just make sure that you don't accidentally post personal information and that I know which Discord username your donation corresponds to. Friendly reminder that these charitable contributions should be NON-POLITICAL i.e. don't donate to a candidate, campaign, party, or PAC. Once I see your donation, I'll give you a Discord role that allows you to see the competition channels. Again, you can choose to play both or just one of these packets-- that's one of the reasons why the donation amount isn't set.

If more than ten people sign up, I will give the first six people to sign up dibs on this time slot, and I will poll everyone else on what other time slot(s) would work for them. (This would most likely be Sunday at the same time.) I don't want the game to be too chaotic. But I'll do my best to make sure that everybody who pays has an opportunity to play.
Current # of People Signed Up: 6 (updated 11/1 @11AM)

Here's a quick recap of what the packets will be:

5PM Central: Pop 2
I moved the headline packet to the front of the schedule to make it easier for people to participate. This packet is on modern pop music, particularly the strain of pop music that you might encounter on r/popheads. There are bonuses, so I will be attempting to make random teams. However (for simplicity's sake), the teams are for BONUSES ONLY (and bragging rights). If your teammate negs on a tossup, you will still be able to buzz on that tossup, and no points will be deducted. The distribution contains approximately 10% kpop, 10% hyperpop, and 5% Latin pop. In addition, you can expect about half of it to be content from the year 2020. Consult my previous packet Tree of Clues for more on what it might look like, but be warned that this packet will be a bit harder than that one.
Detailed Distribution Breakdown
5 Artist/Group Tossups
5 Album Tossups
5 Song Tossups
5 Common Link / Misc Tossups
20 Bonuses w/o any particular subdistribution

After Pop 2 (6PM?): Poetry Shootout
I have a large stockpile of poetry tossups that I wrote in high school to get better at poetry. These tossups will focus on poetry that is firmly inside the high school canon but will often toss up poems that are pretty difficult. The questions are of pretty variable quality, so I decided to use an equally variable format to read them in: Survivor. Each player will receive three lives, and every time they got a tossup they will get to decide one person to subtract a life from. If your life count reaches zero, then you are removed from the game. Last person standing wins. If you only want to play this packet, don't worry-- I'll ping everyone when it starts.

This month I donated to DonorsChoose, which is an organization that lets you support an individual classroom of your choice. I like to be able to see where my money is going specifically, as opposed to just throwing into some big pot. But I don't assume to know best about charitable giving, and that is why I'm letting you people donate to whatever charity you feel is the most appropriate.

That's all, and I hope everyone enjoys the set! :)
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Re: 11/6 Share Our Wealth: Pop 2

Post by username_crisis_averted »

Thanks to everyone who participated! We ended up with 19 total participants, plus a few extra donations and a few playtesters. Overall, $861.37 was raised for charity by players and $95.30 was raised by non-players (excluding me), bringing the amount raised to $956.67. I’ll throw in my own donation to the Against Malaria Foundation to get the final total to $1016.67. Woo-Ah! That’s a lot more than I would have raised by setting a required donation of $20, so it seems like the “Donate What You Want” model worked out pretty well. I'll add more thoughts for the future to the parent post at a later date. A Google Doc of the set is attached here, and I will upload it to the archive once more editions of SOW have been played. Special thanks to Carolina Gokingco, William Golden, Olivia Lamberti, Shehryar Qazi, Connor Mayers, and nikki for playtesting. Hope to see you next month!

And here are your official Pop 2 stats. Congrats to Aidan Leahy and Drew Benner for having the biggest pophead brains.

MATCH ONE: EMOTION Side A v. EMOTION Side B
Side A - 235 (19.38 w/ five-point bouncebacks)
  • Erik Christiensen - 40
  • Tomas Aguilar-Fraga - 20
  • Karsten Rynearson - 20
  • Casey Ford - 0
Side B - 370 (23.64 PPB w/ five-point bouncebacks)
  • Aidan Leahy - 60
  • Jakob Myers - 30
  • Dan Nguyen - 20
  • Julia Cochran - 0

MATCH TWO: Dedicated Side A v. Dedicated Side B
Side A - 305 (17.73 PPB w/ five-point bouncebacks)
  • Drew Benner - 60
  • Patrick Quion - 40
  • Siddharth Kumar - 10
  • Merrick Ohata - 0
  • Michael Li - 0
  • Catherine Qian - 0
Side B - 320 (25.56 PPB w/ five-point bouncebacks)
  • Dylan Minarik - 50
  • Annie Williams - 20
  • Theresa Nyowheoma - 10
  • Daniel Richardson - 10
  • Rohan Vora - 0
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23