Announcement: MIKE (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--February 8-13, 2021

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Announcement: MIKE (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--February 8-13, 2021

Post by Cheynem »

This is an announcement for MIKE (Music I Kinda Enjoy), an online, asynchronous audio tournament. It will use basically the same format as MARCATO and PAVEMENT (i.e., players listen to audio clips of about 60 to 70 seconds and identify a composer or work or something else).

Edit: It will be run through Qblitz and will be from February 8 to 13, 2021.

This tournament has six rounds of 20 tossups. Because there are only six packets, I will be using a format in which a complete field round robin will be simulated each round. If you are unfamiliar with Qblitz, basically the technology allows you to simulate a full round robin very easily each round, as the system will show each team how they would have done against every other team. This prevents me from having to worry about scheduling or rebracketing or any other such nonsense. It does lead to odd questions, such as what happens if (multiple) teams tie when all the round robins are done, but I think I'll probably use some tiebreakers then.

The tournament will cost $12 a person to play. If price is an issue, please let me know. Qblitz will handle payment and registration, and I'll post the link to that as soon as that's finalized.

The distribution is:

2/3 Film. These can ask for a film composer, specific film, film series, or some sort of common link (actor, location, etc.).
1/3 Misc. Besides miscellaneous questions that combine film and other topics, these can include questions about TV shows, popular music, Broadway musicals, video games, and even sports/sports entertainment. There aren't specific numbers here, but I would guess most of them though are miscellaneous or TV.

The difficulty here is pretty rangy. It's hard to quantify difficulty, especially for a lot of cross-distributional topics. I would estimate that an average trash player would be able to answer most of the questions by the end. There will be a couple pretty hard questions per round, but I'm also not playing stump the chump (i.e., if you really like a certain film's soundtrack or TV show's music, you should be able to get a good buzz).

My tournament differs from MARCATO and PAVEMENT, aside from the distro, in that:

1. Many of the questions are a little more "multi-level." While there's certainly many questions on "Name the film" or "Name the TV show" or "Name the composer," there are also a fair number of questions that ask "Name the top-billed actor in these films" or "Name the city in which these works take place." I didn't try to make these too difficult, but especially for lead-ins, you might have to do more multi-level thinking than normal.

2. There isn't a set per round distribution. I'll try and ensure that not too much of the same genre or topics pop up per round, but as is my wont, I just ask about stuff I like. There's definitely at least one vanity topic that will come up a lot. I'm not trying at all to come even close to doing some sort of holistic representation of film or entertainment music here.

3. A fair share of the questions have portions of the clip that are not music, but audio from a film/TV show/something else (in particular, the innovative sports questions here, which are almost all clips of sports announcers). This is especially helpful for giveaways for questions in which there isn't a "slam dunk" giveaway involving music for a certain topic. I don't know how any of these will play out, but I'm interested to see.

The tournament will be doubles, and while I won't open registration until we get slightly closer and a firm date is set, I'll try and get a matchmaking spreadsheet set up pretty soon.

Let me know if you have any questions in the interim.
Last edited by Cheynem on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Preliminary Announcement: MIKE (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--Probably February 2021

Post by Cheynem »

This set is 80% done and should be easily finished by February.

Here is an "express interest/matchmaking" spreadsheet if you want to find a partner. It's not a formal registration because the date isn't finalized yet. There isn't really a field cap per se, so there's no need to even put your name on the sheet, but it helps to give me a sense of how much interest there is and if you want to find someone to match your strengths.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Re: Preliminary Announcement: MIKE (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--February 8-13, 2021

Post by Cheynem »

This tournament will now run from February 8 to 13, 2021. Registration and I believe payment will be done through Qblitz, and I'll post information about how to do that once that is set up. For now, please continue to form teams and express interest on the spreadsheet (again, the sheet is not an official registration).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Re: Announcement: MIKE (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--February 8-13, 2021

Post by Cheynem »

https://www.qblitz.online/?w=events

Teams can register and pay for this event here. Please do so through this link--while I am happy to answer questions, I am not able to register you or take your payment. Please do so by the end of January.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Re: Announcement: MIKE (Online, Asynchronous Audio Tournament)--February 8-13, 2021

Post by Cheynem »

Here is a very rough distribution for the tournament. It does not add up to 100% and you should not use it to actually calculate how many tossups you would expect to see in each packet (roughly speaking, you can, but obviously each packet is going to be different):

Film Composers: 12%
Films 1930s-1950s: 8%
Films 1960s-1970s: 9%
Films 1980s: 6.5%
Films 1990s-Present: 11%
Cross-Decade Films: 16%

Cross-Category: 13%
TV: 9%
"Other" (includes video games, musicals, popular music): 9%
Sports/Sports Entertainment: 6%
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

So, the original announcement lists that the tournament will cost $12 per player. When you log in to Qblitz to sign up, the only option is to register a "team" which costs $24. The math, of course, works out, but how do we sign up as just individuals to pay our portion of the entry fee?
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

My understanding is that you have to register as a team, i.e., one person should register for the two people and pay. Then, that person should just get their partner to pay their share to them. I realize this is not always the easiest approach, but I think it was meant to ensure only fully paid, registered teams were signed up.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I'm happy to Venmo my teammate for that part of the logistics. But when my teammate signed up, they said there was no spot to register my name or anything... so I guess I'm confused as to how I'll actually have access to the games if I never "sign up" for the contest on Qblitz since my teammate registered. Will someone be adding the game to my Qblitz account in the backend?
Alex Dzurick
====
====
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

alexdz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:58 pm ... so I guess I'm confused as to how I'll actually have access to the games if I never "sign up" for the contest on Qblitz since my teammate registered.
That's a great question. (Or concern I suppose - no question mark.) When someone pays for the event, they get a registration code. Each player on the team then enters that code on their Qblitz home page to get added to the team.

Note that this process is different from what happened with Marcato and PAveMEnT. We'll be emailing players explaining it when the field fills up to make sure everyone understands it.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Dominator wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:53 pm When someone pays for the event, they get a registration code. Each player on the team then enters that code on their Qblitz home page to get added to the team.
That's the missing piece! Thanks for clarifying!
Alex Dzurick
====
====
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This set is done. Please register ASAP, as this tournament is starting soon!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This is both one last bump to remind people to register, and a note that if you are experiencing issues registering or have questions about the registration process, to contact Qblitz directly, especially Noah Prince. I am not handling the registration aspects and do not precisely know how the Qblitz system works.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

As expected, this tournament was an utter delight! Thanks to Mike for writing it and to Noah for running it.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:48 pm As expected, this tournament was an utter delight! Thanks to Mike for writing it and to Noah for running it.
100 percent agreed. This was fantastic.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
saintanthony
Lulu

Post by saintanthony »

Exceptional. A remarkable addition to the audio tournament canon.
Drew Scheeler
President Emeritus, Case Quizbowl
Case Western Reserve University '13
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I apparently never posted the results here, but John Lawrence and Dylan Minarik won this tournament. Second place was Lil' Naveed and Evan Nagler.

I don't anticipate any other mirrors of this, so if people do want to talk about the questions, please do so.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota