Berlin’s Basura Bonanza I (FIT) 4/24/21 HS/MS Online

Old college threads.
Carpincho
Lulu

Berlin’s Basura Bonanza I (FIT) 4/24/21 HS/MS Online

Post by Carpincho »

Greetings Coaches!

In an effort to raise some funding for nationals and provide some much-needed fun and laughter, the Olentangy Berlin Quiz Bowl Team invites you to our first ever trash tournament, “Berlin’s Basura Bonanza I (BBB),” on Saturday, April 24, 2021!

All trash questions have been written by the Aurora Quiz Bowl team. The set is called: "My Little Trash Tournament: Friendship is Trash". Questions will include topics generally not considered to be academic, such as food, movies, tv, internet memes, sports, music, games, etc.

Matches will be tossup/bonus format, 20 per round. We will follow NAQT rules. Scoring guidelines will be different. There will be 20 for powers, 10 for a regular answer, and -10 for incorrect answers. On the bonus, if a team gets all three parts of the bonus they will earn an extra 10 points. So that means a maximum of 40 points on the bonus. There will be no bouncebacks or steals on the bonus cycles. We will NOT be keeping individual stats. This will save time. The schedule will have a morning round robin followed by afternoon championship/consolation brackets. More details on that will be available once I know how many teams will be playing. This tournament will be virtual and run on Google Meet and Buzzin Live. We should have between 6-8 rounds depending on the playoffs.

We are going to start with a 12 team cap so please register soon. We are also asking that districts limit, at first, to 2 teams to allow for multiple districts to enter. Depending on interest and available help we may open up more brackets. All teams will play varsity. There will be no JV division. Middle school teams are welcome to play as well, but they will play the same set of questions as the high school teams. Please be aware that this means not all content may be appropriate for all middle-schoolers.

To register please complete the following google form and indicate # of teams. Thank you in advance! We will also host a virtual meeting prior to the tournament to help coaches/students who haven’t played virtually better understand the process.

https://forms.gle/QCbLtpauk8aELFeZA
The cost for the tournament will be $50 per team.

The general schedule will be:
8-8:15 Registration (entrance to a virtual cafeteria)
8:15-8:30 Opening Meeting
8:30 - Morning matches begin
11:30ish - lunch and rebracketing
12:30ish - afternoon rounds
3:30ish - end of tournament

Please make checks out to "OBHS Quiz Bowl Team" and mail to:
Cortney Bird
c/o Olentangy Berlin High School
3140 Berlin Station Rd.
Delaware, OH 43015

Thanks for your attention, and hopefully we will see you on the 24th of April,

-Cortney Bird and the Olentangy Berlin Quiz Bowl Team
Last edited by Carpincho on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cortney Bird
Olentangy Berlin QuizBowl Coach
Carpincho
Lulu

Re: Berlin’s Basura Bonanza I (FIT) 4/24/21 HS only Columbus, OH

Post by Carpincho »

Field (11/12)
Big Walnut 1 teams
Olentangy Liberty 2 teams
Franklin Heights High School 1 team
Lakewood Local HS 1 team
Gahanna Lincoln High School 2 teams
Highland 2 teams
Bishop Ready 1 team
Ohio Virtual Academy 1 team

We only need one more team.
Last edited by Carpincho on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cortney Bird
Olentangy Berlin QuizBowl Coach
Carpincho
Lulu

Re: Berlin’s Basura Bonanza I (FIT) 4/24/21 HS/MS Online

Post by Carpincho »

Final placement
1. Liberty B
2. Highland B (Sparta)
3. Gahanna A
4. Lakewood (Hebron)
5. Liberty A