Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

NAQT HSNCT, NAQT IPNCT, NAQT SSNCT, PACE NSC, and NASAT are discussed here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Curious Homunculus
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 am

Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Curious Homunculus » Sat May 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Sophia Weng (a junior on Blair A) and I are organizing a panel discussion to talk about women in quizbowl. The discussion will be in room M101 at the Marquis on Saturday, May 25th, from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM, about an hour after afternoon games at HSNCT end. Here's what Sophia has to say about the event:

“Last year, hundreds of girls gathered for a photo at HSNCT to show that girls can both do quizbowl and love it. However, we still have a long way to go before women are equally and fairly represented in the quizbowl community. Therefore, this year at HSNCT, we plan to build off of the momentum from last year’s efforts by hosting a panel discussion about women in quizbowl with a panel of recent and current high school quizbowl players. We will be taking questions and comments from the audience, and we would like to create a vibrant, polite discussion.

We will be discussing why there is a gender imbalance in the game, experiences with tokenism among the community, and what we can all do, regardless of gender, to make our quizbowl programs more accepting, and, hopefully, more female! We’d like to be able to represent many different facets of quizbowl, so if you have something to say, or you’d just like to listen, please come! We invite everyone to bring their opinions, experiences, and questions!”

If you have more questions, please email Sophia at scweng44@gmail.com or contact me via the forums or Discord.

If you’d like to suggest a discussion topic, check out our quizpolling post (link), or message me or Sophia directly.
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20

User avatar
Curious Homunculus
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Curious Homunculus » Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 pm

A more personal note: as a boy who is helping to organize this event, I want to see other men come to this event. Sophia was clear to me while we were planning this that there aren’t enough women currently playing quizbowl to change quizbowl without the help of male allies. Quizbowl needs more men to come to this discussion and focus on being better allies.
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20

User avatar
1992 in spaceflight
Auron
Posts: 1299
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: St. Louis-area, MO

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by 1992 in spaceflight » Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 am

I really want to be there, but this is unfortunately going to conflict with META and Imaginary Landscapes. Is it possible this could get recorded for those of us who can't be there and posted online later?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10


"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.

CaseyB
Lulu
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by CaseyB » Sun May 19, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm not saying recording the discussion isn't a good idea, but don't you think this is more important than whatever side events are being run that night?
Casey Bindas
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
UCF 2011-15
VCU 2015-16
Michigan Tech 2016-18
PACE

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6574
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Cheynem » Sun May 19, 2019 2:43 pm

I think that question is not a fair one. Those events have been announced some time previously and were the product of a lot of hard work of a variety of people. I think this panel will be excellent, but I also don't think people should be guilt-tripped into canceling existing plans to attend.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

User avatar
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Aaron's Rod » Sun May 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Who is going to be on the panel?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto

CaseyB
Lulu
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by CaseyB » Sun May 19, 2019 3:07 pm

In hindsight, I did ask a loaded question and I apologize.
Casey Bindas
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
UCF 2011-15
VCU 2015-16
Michigan Tech 2016-18
PACE

User avatar
Curious Homunculus
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Curious Homunculus » Sun May 19, 2019 4:52 pm

1992 in spaceflight wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 am
I really want to be there, but this is unfortunately going to conflict with META and Imaginary Landscapes. Is it possible this could get recorded for those of us who can't be there and posted online later?
We do plan to record this and post it online later. We know that there are a bunch of other side events being held Saturday night, but there was no way to schedule this without conflicting with something else, so we will record the panel for everybody who, for whatever reason, is unable to be there.
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20

User avatar
1992 in spaceflight
Auron
Posts: 1299
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: St. Louis-area, MO

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by 1992 in spaceflight » Sun May 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Curious Homunculus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:52 pm
1992 in spaceflight wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 am
I really want to be there, but this is unfortunately going to conflict with META and Imaginary Landscapes. Is it possible this could get recorded for those of us who can't be there and posted online later?
We do plan to record this and post it online later. We know that there are a bunch of other side events being held Saturday night, but there was no way to schedule this without conflicting with something else, so we will record the panel for everybody who, for whatever reason, is unable to be there.
Awesome, thanks so much!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10


"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.

User avatar
1992 in spaceflight
Auron
Posts: 1299
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: St. Louis-area, MO

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by 1992 in spaceflight » Sun May 19, 2019 8:42 pm

CaseyB wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:13 pm
I'm not saying recording the discussion isn't a good idea, but don't you think this is more important than whatever side events are being run that night?
I know you've apologized already, Casey, but I want to respond to this. A lot of people who would want to attend this (such as myself) have already made plans to attend/play side events, and I'm certainly really interested in hearing what comes out of the panel.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10


"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.

User avatar
Sophia44
Lulu
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 am

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Sophia44 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Who is going to be on the panel?
Our panelists are going to be Abby Cohen (Beavercreek HS '21, OH), Anna Muthalaly (Hoover HS '20, AL), Julia Tong (Darien HS '18, CT), Katherine Lei (Montgomery Blair HS '20, MD), Olivia Lamberti (Stevenson HS '19, IL), and Tora Husar (Wayzata HS '18, MN). I will be moderating the discussion (Sophia Weng, Montgomery Blair HS '20, MD)!
Sophia Weng
Montgomery Blair HS ‘20

jnelson
Kimahri
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:01 am

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by jnelson » Thu May 23, 2019 4:10 pm

It's awesome that you all have taken the initiative to put this together and I'm excited to attend.

I'm on the social media team for this weekend's tournament and would love to conduct a post interview with anyone on the panel who has a few minutes after this event- I really think it's important that we amplify this kind of content as much as we can.
Jeremy Nelson
Marist High School (IL) '05
Alcorn State University '09
University of Illinois '12

notchole
Lulu
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by notchole » Fri May 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Due to a last minute change of plans, I'll also be present! I'm so grateful to Sophia for organizing this event and letting me be a part of it on such short notice. Hope to see you all there.
Chloe Levine (she/her/hers)
Harvard College Quiz Bowl, Class of 2022
Former Captain, Hunter College High School (New York, NY) Quiz Bowl, Class of 2018
Head Editor of Prison Bowl XI; Vice Head Editor of Prison Bowl X
Gender Equity Advocate, PACE Member

User avatar
Sophia44
Lulu
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 am

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Sophia44 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am

Thank you to everyone who came to the panel this weekend! Our panelists did a fantastic job, and we hope to have the discussion uploaded by the end of the week. We will be holding another women in Quizbowl event Saturday evening at PACE NSC this year, so if you missed the HSNCT discussion there is another chance to share your views! There is still plenty to cover, and we will likely continue our discussion in more of a forum setting as opposed to a panel. Thank you again, and look out for updates!
Sophia Weng
Montgomery Blair HS ‘20

User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by tksaleija » Tue May 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Sophia44 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am
Thank you to everyone who came to the panel this weekend! Our panelists did a fantastic job, and we hope to have the discussion uploaded by the end of the week. We will be holding another women in Quizbowl event Saturday evening at PACE NSC this year, so if you missed the HSNCT discussion there is another chance to share your views! There is still plenty to cover, and we will likely continue our discussion in more of a forum setting as opposed to a panel. Thank you again, and look out for updates!
Will anything like this be hosted at NASAT?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15259
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by AKKOLADE » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 am

tksaleija wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:07 pm
Sophia44 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am
Thank you to everyone who came to the panel this weekend! Our panelists did a fantastic job, and we hope to have the discussion uploaded by the end of the week. We will be holding another women in Quizbowl event Saturday evening at PACE NSC this year, so if you missed the HSNCT discussion there is another chance to share your views! There is still plenty to cover, and we will likely continue our discussion in more of a forum setting as opposed to a panel. Thank you again, and look out for updates!
Will anything like this be hosted at NASAT?
IQBT will likely be unable to secure rooms for this.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

marianna
Rikku
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Stanford, CA

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by marianna » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:00 am

Curious Homunculus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:52 pm
1992 in spaceflight wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 am
I really want to be there, but this is unfortunately going to conflict with META and Imaginary Landscapes. Is it possible this could get recorded for those of us who can't be there and posted online later?
We do plan to record this and post it online later. We know that there are a bunch of other side events being held Saturday night, but there was no way to schedule this without conflicting with something else, so we will record the panel for everybody who, for whatever reason, is unable to be there.
I heard this event went really well - props again for organizing it! I was wondering if a recording was made, and if so, when we can expect for that recording to be made available? Unfortunately I was unable to attend HSNCT, but I would be excited to listen/watch a recording, if one was available.
Marianna Zhang
she/her/hers
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '23
PACE

User avatar
Sophia44
Lulu
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 am

Re: Women in Quizbowl Panel Discussion @ HSNCT Saturday Night

Post by Sophia44 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Sophia Weng
Montgomery Blair HS ‘20

Post Reply