Quick Question

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Quick Question

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So let's there's a tossup on George III, which ends "name this British ruler, the third king of his name". The team buzzes in and says King George. Is this promptable, correct or incorrect since the question already mentioned third king of his name?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Re: Quick Question

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I'd prompt, because, unless the team is composed of idiots, they should know how to tack on a "III" upon be prompted.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

In this particular case, you should prompt because it's true only by happenstance that "George III" is "the third king of England named George." It's not necessarily true that the "nth king named A" reigned as "A the nth;" even in the relatively tame English succession, one could argue, for example, that the titular Henry III was the fourth Henry of England. So the clue doesn't necessarily unambiguously reveal that part of the answer.
In the slightly more restricted case in which part of the answer is made entirely, unambiguously obvious, probably by a clue just unambiguously saying part of the answer (so just change the question to say he "reigned as the third of his name" or whatever,) I'm honestly not sure what to do. The standard practice is to prompt, but I find that unsatisfying. My cop-out answer is that people shouldn't write clues that do that for a variety of reasons. Since that's probably not going to happen, I think you're justified in either accepting the answer or prompting.

M
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Personally, I would accept "George." It's already been clarified that the king is "blank the Third," so "George" is presumed to be "George III." On the other hand, I think that kind of giveaway shouldn't be used; it might raise conversion, but it's not really rewarding knowledge, and it makes a wild guess more likely to be the correct answer.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Something like this happened at HSNCT to a team we were playing. Are we allowed to post specific answers?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Sure, although probably best to keep them in the HSNCT discussion thread (for those playing the UTC mirror).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

This belongs more in this thread, so *spoiler alert* for people playing in the UTC mirror

There was a tossup on the "triangle inequality" that said something along the lines of "FTP name this inequality that states that...", the other team buzzed and said "triangle" and got prompted, and eventually got incorrect. The moderator said that "triangle inequality" was all underlined, even thought the word "inequality" was in the FTP, and the mod had already read that word. Was "inequality" really necessary in this case?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

No.
[url=http://www.naqt.com/correctness-guidelines.html]NAQT correctness guidelines[/url] B.5 wrote:If an underlined section includes a generic word (e.g., "war" in Korean War) and that generic word appears in the question itself, then a player need not repeat that word if he or she is answering after it has been read. For instance, if the above question ended, "For 10 points--name this 1950-1953 war," a player would need to say Korean War prior to the final word, but could just say Korean after the question was completed.
I hope that didn't change the outcome of the game; in any case, it should certainly have been protestable.

(There's something to add to the agenda for the 2011 staff meeting.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred