Illinois '10 - '11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
David Riley
Auron

Illinois '10 - '11

Post by David Riley »

This is the new forum for Illinois quiz bowl next year. Post schedules (Jonah? Reinstein?) as applicable.

Next year should be an annus mirabilis for illinois quiz bowl. While we are losing Zahed, Julia, Jordan, etc., many outstanding players are returning.

Let's all pledge to spread the word and convert more Illinois teams to good quiz bowl!
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
CometCoach72
Wakka

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

Post by CometCoach72 »

I shall go forth and spread the word of good quiz bowl to my wonderful part of the state.

Keep helping, friends.
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

It seems like at this point last year there was a lot more discussion/predictions and stuff in Illinois thread than this one...
So I feel like someone more qualified than I should start talking about something relating to quizbowl of the Illinois 2010-2011 variety.
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Ninety-eighth post on these forums. I am Lloyd from Auburn and have been reading the board for a while and also posting on it for a long time.
Here's a preview for Auburn this year.
Abid- Obviously our second best player and likely 2nd team all stater at least. He pretty much gets every art question unless he overthinks it (i.e. El Espolio question), and is very strong in social sciences/philosophy and some science. He also can get some points in Music, and can answer most Lit questions by the giveaway. He will be especially useful in non-NAQT questions, since he really sucks at NAQT and gets like 2 ppg whenever we play it.
Filip- Great History player. That's basically all he can get questions on. Usually on other questions he stops listening. His performance will be important in determining how far we can go this year.
Saad- His biggest strength is science. Like Abid, who shows interests in learning about tons of stock clues and accumulating heaps of fake knowledge in science, Saad shows interest in learning about all types of science, mainly for quizbowl purposes. I'm not sure how he'll adapt to the A team, but if he can get to the point where he can get us to maybe 30 PPB on chemistry bonuses, I think we'll be pretty amazing.
Cooper- His biggest strength is science. It will probably be a tossup between him and Saad for the fourth spot on our A team, depending on who contributes more on bonuses. If he gets shafted the to B team, he can also probably get questions on every subject, except maybe visual arts (but if he goes on the A team, he doesn't have to worry about that).
Lloyd-My biggest strengths are the humanities, too! I've read pretty much every packet on teh database (not that it helped me that much) and read like 100 books and studied lots of literature, and thus I can get most questions before the FTP, or, if I"m playing HSAPQ or IS sets, I can FIFTEEEEEEN! pretty much all lit questions when they title drop for me. I am also decent in fine arts, because I have written some questions in music, and this will hopefully help us since we lost a lot of fine arts when Zahed graduated. Also I have some spotty knowledge on history, which will definitely be an improvement over last year, when we never really got any history questions. I've also accumulated some fake knowledge on myth, religion, and astronomy, so I can get some points in that category.

Those would likely be our 5 in tournaments where we start 5. For IHSA, we'd probably have the same thing, since there's a lot of math comp in the state series. I will be trying to convince our coach to take us to both Nationals this year (ehh maybe not). I know Auburn when to PACE NSC in 2008, 2009, and 2010 at least, and HSNCT those years too. I'd rather go to PACE than HSNCT, and now that HSNCT is so far away we'll probably not go to that. However, NAC is really close. Our coach is still teaching this year (she will probably teach me for the first time), but hopefully she will do what she has done in the past and spend lots of dedicated time on quizbowl and traveling. I know we've always gone to Auburn's tournaments in the past, because we're the ones that host, so we're pretty much certain that we'll be able to make it there for whatever tournaments they are hosting. Also, I haven't been to Loyola in a while and it's really nice.

In terms of goals for the season, I think we'll be a major player in IHSA state, and even if we're not, we'll have tons of fans that will come to watch us, and be silenced by Zach Blumenfeld. I think how we'd do at either of the nationals depends on how much baking we do, or how many hours we put into boy scouts. If we continue to improve, I'd like to go over .500 at NSC.

I'm really looking forward to the season this year, guys! :grin: :lol: :grin: :smile: :lol: :wink: :chip: :kenj: :party: :grin:
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

Since I'm really board and have nothing better to do, I might as well talk about IMSA, even if we do suck at quizbowl.
So this year we lose our beloved Bonny Jain. Thus, we are forced to rebuild with several nubbers:

Bayo Bankole (senior) - Leads the team in negs, but will do well on history (knows real history I guess) and not really much else
Sai[o] Parepelly (senior) - generalism, I guess. Good at SAIence, and has lots of fake knowledge about lit.
Eric Ordonez (junior) - the music man (self-explanatory). Also gets Christianity questions. Knows lots of random stuff, especially about history and trash (one of the better trash players I've seen).
The Real Nolan [Maloney] (junior) - VISARTS. Also good at "other science" (astronomy, earth science, etc.) but also is the best SCIENCE player (most of it being real science knowledge though).
Webster Guan (junior) - literature, basically. and science that isn't biology is good too!
Adam Kalinich (junior)- 2nd in negs on the team; comp math (for IHSA) and history
Rose Sloan (junior) - knows some real literature (unlike I), knows a lot of Jewish religion, and possibly visarts.
We all share the production in RMP and SS, I guess?

The real lineup isn't set, but I'd imagine Sai, Nolan, Eric, and I will be playing most of the good quizbowl tournaments, with Kalinich added in for IHSA since there's comp math and the like.
Hopefully we'll get some sophomores that are better at frauding than we are (i.e. another Bonny Jain, let's hope) and I expect us to be in the top 50 of the state, at best. But since we have Prince coaching us, I'd have to say we will be in probably the top 20, or something like that. But we shall see.
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

1. IMSA
2. Lockport
3. Downers Grove South
4. Streamwood
5. Proviso East
6. Wheeling
7. Joliet Catholic
8. Grayslake North
9. Rich South
10. Senn
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

JackGlerum wrote:1. IMSA
2. Lockport
3. Downers Grove South
4. Streamwood
5. Proviso East
6. Wheeling
7. Joliet Catholic
8. Grayslake North
9. Rich South
10. Senn
This.

On a more serious note, IMSA stands to be pretty strong this year even without Bonny and his 100 TUs in the IHSA state series. I can't predict results, but I can predict that people will continue to place us superlow in all the polls regardless of how well we actually perform.

The only thing that is sure in Illinois quizbowl this year is that Stevenson will be superstrong. I am more optimistic about Auburn than Lloyd's post seems to be. A lot of the top teams have their 1-2 person cores set, and ultimately we'll have to see what their supporting casts will do. I'm very interested in seeing OPRF and St. Ignatius, since in my opinion both schools could be just one role-player from the very top. Also, how is Carbondale rebuilding? Ben needs some help with math.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Argh, now I can't even tell which posts in this thread are serious and which aren't.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Making predictions for this year is kind of boring. At this time last year, we had no idea how good or bad Auburn, Buffalo Grove, Carbondale, Loyola, New Trier, OPRF, Saint Viator, or WWS were going to be. If I remember correctly, Fred's preseason poll had Loyola as the only Illinois team in the Top 50, and none of us knew whether he was right or wrong.

The top tier will be Stevenson, Auburn, and Ignatius.
The second tier will be Loyola, OPRF, Carbondale, and Lisle.
The third tier will be Naperville Central, Fremd, IMSA, and any other teams that decide to learn stuff, hopefully including New Trier.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Ok, so now that we've gotten past the first prediction, I'm gonna go ahead and make an outlook of all the teams, in no particular order, that I think will be major contenders this year in Illinois.

Loyola: As this is my school I think I can analyze it more thoroughly. While we won't quite be the team of last year, our A team should be a consistent force at tournaments, starting up at the helm with our captain Nolan who should cover up a lot of science for us, and some italian lit. He is just a very good generalist overall. I think Mrcel can make Loyola do very well at lit, and our team has two or three good RMP players. While I think Mrcel and I will be constant for the starting lineup this season, I think the rest of it can be up for grabs. For IHSA state and any tourney with math, Raman Michaels (assuming he still plays), our calculator, should get a spot if he decides to come, and the other spot or two could be held by a wide variety of players. Morgan Venkus has phenomenal science knowledge but doesn't buzz enough, Pat and Mattare both good american history players, and the latter is definitely working on filling up holes in music. Brian Peterson showed good knowledge by getting 2nd in the history tourney at camp, is solid at Philosophy, and is working on current events. We're a good visarts team as a whole, and we can get music tossups consistently. Overall, I think we should be one of the top four teams in Illinois and a definite contender for a state crown.

St. Ignatius: Jake O'Shea is beastly at comp math, giving them a great edge at tourneys that include it. He's also fantastic at finnish composers and is a well-rounded player at all subjects that can carry Ignatius to the playoffs of invitationals all by himself. Andrew was also a pretty good player from what I saw at camp, as shown by his SECOND PLACE in the science tournament, and they're another team that I think will be in the NAQT State Playoffs come March.

Stevenson: I haven't seen enough of the real Zach B: I've either been seeing him on non-NAQT questions or while he's playing with Kevin. Still, I know that he's probably the top geography player in Illinois and has some very vast knowledge on all the other subjects. Kevin Malis strengthens Stevenson's strength as far as it goes with lit and music and titles and named things and mythology, and they had a very strong f/s program including David Jin, which makes Stevenson THE legitimate contender. They should definitely be at the state finals, and are the favorite to win the title.

Lisle: As far as I know they've lost about nobody, and Greg D has super depth in philosophy and stuff like that, and is also very solid at lit and fine arts. He should pick up many questions for Lisle in all areas, though. Because Lisle is class A, I think that they are favorites to win the IHSA state title if their players keep on consistently studying, and they brush up on weaknesses in history and science, although that one kid with the sick Finland buzz which he negged with some finnish sniper warhero knows some history and Michael Schwartz has been steadily improving on science.

Latin: I know nothing about this team, but I'm guessing that if a team should challenge Lisle it'd be these guys, even though they lose Robert Volgmann, and maybe??? Sam Mulopolis.

Buffalo Grove: Matt Wilber and Matt Leung were actually pretty damn impressive at camp on some lit and are probably better than Jake O'Shea at comp math, meaning a downstate trip for them is inevitable. Also, they want to go to more good quizbowl tournaments and could surprise people at them.

Carbondale: While the combination of last year won't be replicated again this year, Carbondale really surprised me with their commitment and depth at camp. Chametz will be their leading scorer and they have three or four juniors that impressed at camp, most notably Srinivas who even made it up to Room one for a practice. If they keep on improving throughout the season I think they can definitely make noise at statez and their future is even brighter.

Auburn: I saw Lloyd play a round at NAQT and he was better than I had anticipated at non-mACF, which is basically incredibly ridiculous. I like him to lead Auburn into contention at tournaments, along with Abid (a great visarts player who can also get really fake science TUs), Alex Cooper, and Saad.

Other teams: I don't know who's left for Viator, and I've honestly only played Fremd once, but nobody else seems to be including them meaning they'll kick some ass. My team to watch, is Oak Park-River Forest, as Ben Carbz claims that Greg Ramel and Stephen Skapek are getting even better than him, who completely destroys all history and did incredibly impressively at HSNCT. Yeah, so it was NAQT, but I've heard he's studying even with all the football going on. So, as long as they attend good tourneys and football/college doesn't take over, watch out for them: but as for state, they're in Ignatius and my sectional. So as a Carbertee(copyright Zahed Haseeb), I'm thinking they won't be in Peoria, at least this year.

Prediction: Class A: Lisle def. Latin
Class AA: Finals will be Auburn/Stevenson, third place will be Ignatius/IMSANITY. I don't wanna predict winners there.

Edited: first to change "Marcel" to "Mrcel" then secondly to remove information about Dayne still playing at Auburn.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Aaron Goldfein
Wakka

Post by Aaron Goldfein »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote: Prediction: Class A: Lisle def. Latin
Thanks to arbitrary sectionals where only champions advance, this can't happen as Lisle and Latin will invariably be in the same sectional!

Don't you just love IHSA?
Aaron Goldfein
Niles West ('10)
Carnegie Mellon ('14)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Same re the Buffalo Grove comment above: they are always in Stevenson's sedtional. In all fairness, though, there are few class A schools in the Chicago area.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

David Riley wrote:In all fairness
That is precisely what is not at play here.
Jonah Greenthal
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Dominator wrote:
The only thing that is sure in Illinois quizbowl this year is that Stevenson will be superstrong. I am more optimistic about Auburn than Lloyd's post seems to be. A lot of the top teams have their 1-2 person cores set, and ultimately we'll have to see what their supporting casts will do. I'm very interested in seeing OPRF and St. Ignatius, since in my opinion both schools could be just one role-player from the very top. Also, how is Carbondale rebuilding? Ben needs some help with math.
Well, I wouldn't say Carbondale is "rebuilding". I don't really recall Jeremiah even coming to that many tournaments this year anyway; we probably played him in one round all year. Ben is a fine player, of course, and Srinivas can get some buzzes in various subjects, though I'm totally unsure of what his specialty is. I'm also pretty sure that when they go to things with math, Srinivas is their math kid.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:Well, I wouldn't say Carbondale is "rebuilding".
Good point. But Carbondale doesn't seem to bring many non-seniors up north, with Ben the notable exception, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as a supporting cast. Ben is certainly good enough to take the team pretty far by himself though.
Dr. Noah Prince

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)

Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Re: South of I-80.

My IHSA state favorite for this year has to be Carbondale. They have a much easier road than most other teams to get upstate. As far as I remember, the vast majority of Carbondale's PPG is returning this year (Chametz) and based on my little exposure to the C-Dale team, I think that Sri and some of C-Dale's other minions will be able to study up to fill Ben's gaps.

Beyond Carbondalay, I feel like in the non-Chicago/non-Rockford parts of the state, teams are only going to improve in the upcoming year. In schools like Champaign, Litchfield, Springfield, Glenwood, Greenville, and probably a few others, I feel like recent strides will only attract more interest to quizbowl and possibly even attract additional intelligent folk that had previously not played. (This could also happen to IMSA. Without a doubt, they probably have the deepest talent pool of real knowledge to work with.) While I'm not expecting these schools to top-bracket at NSC, I believe that they'll be competitive at tournaments and possibly deal out a few L's to some of the "quizbowl elite." On top of that, I don't believe that any of these teams had a single go-to, 100ppg player, which I believe will contribute to future success.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I completely agree about the field getting better, and Champaign is a great example. I really like what Centennial's coach is doing, and there is a lot of talent to be tapped in Champaign-Urbana.
Dr. Noah Prince

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Geringer wrote:On top of that, I don't believe that any of these teams had a single go-to, 100ppg player, which I believe will contribute to future success.
Clarify this -- by this, do you mean that you don't believe any of them graduated a one-man team and are therefore lacking in the experience department? (While IMSA might qualify for that with Bonny Jain, they were already Jain-less at ATROPHY and impressed me with knowledge; they'll be fine on that front.)
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

I'm appalled that anyone at all is discussing IHSA state at all in this thread. This is precisely why our state is mocked. We profess not to care about our crappy state series, yet we still discuss its results as if it's worth jack. State rankings should henceforth only ever be in terms of performance in real quizbowl, measured in terms of real tournaments, all funneling up to the two national tournaments.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

In response to the discussion of Carbondale: I'm continuing to study and improve, but more importantly, Srinivas has made vast increases in list knowledge, particularly in literature. We also have at least one promising incoming freshman that I know of, and everyone else should be able to be whipped into shape. Additionally, our school has not yet looked to our program as a place to save money (not hiring teachers to replace retiring ones is their main plan), so we'll still be able to come to a majority of good upstate tournaments. I'm also hoping to start playing college tournaments, with or without my team. Despite all this, I'd say that IHSA State favorites is a bit much, but as always with that tournament, one never knows.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Charley Pride wrote:We profess not to care about our crappy state series, yet we still discuss its results as if it's worth jack.
Everyone needs to accept the fact that the results of IHSA (and even Masonic) State DO MATTER, even to teams that play good quizbowl. When administrations see state hardware, they support programs. It may precisely be that Carbondale is a state contender every year that their school is still supporting their expensive program through economic hardship. Teams that breakthrough to the state tourney like Bradley-Bourbonnais did last year can get increased support to go to more tournaments and become more active in good quizbowl. As a result, we whole quizbowl community should be excited to see schools succeed in IHSA competition so that they might become more active in good quizbowl.
Dr. Noah Prince

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Dominator wrote:
Charley Pride wrote:We profess not to care about our crappy state series, yet we still discuss its results as if it's worth jack.
Everyone needs to accept the fact that the results of IHSA (and even Masonic) State DO MATTER, even to teams that play good quizbowl. When administrations see state hardware, they support programs. It may precisely be that Carbondale is a state contender every year that their school is still supporting their expensive program through economic hardship. Teams that breakthrough to the state tourney like Bradley-Bourbonnais did last year can get increased support to go to more tournaments and become more active in good quizbowl. As a result, we whole quizbowl community should be excited to see schools succeed in IHSA competition so that they might become more active in good quizbowl.
Noah: ultimately, the teams that truly want to go will find a way to get the scratch together, whether that comes from the school, the Masons, or their own pockets.

Also, re: C-U talent. There are a number of teams in the area, but the smaller schools are making moves. St. Joseph-Ogden, which is about a ten-minute drive from the area, left the Centennial spring tournament early, but if memory serves, it was basically two people coming on their own accord, and one had to leave.

Right now, I'm working with Nick Pitz, and optimistically I'll try to arrange for some housewrites to be mirrored in the Peoria/Bloomington/Quad Cities area.

If people are in need of staff for a tournament, let me know. I'm free most weekends, and am willing to drive.
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Hey I'm sorry if this is irrelevant to the topic, but I was just curious to see how the location change of HSNCT will affect the amount of Illinois teams that go there.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

ryandillon wrote:Hey I'm sorry if this is irrelevant to the topic, but I was just curious to see how the location change of HSNCT will affect the amount of Illinois teams that go there.
It will reduce it. (You probably had figured that out.)

The amount of reduction will presumably depend on where NSC ends up being. To review, the following Illinois teams attended HSNCT in 2010: Stevenson*, Oak Park-River Forest, Auburn* x3, Glenwood, Loyola*, New Trier, St. Ignatius*, Carbondale*, Latin, Wheaton Warrenville South, New Berlin, St. Viator, and Riverside-Brookfield. The teams marked with a * also attended NSC (in Auburn's case, only one team attended NSC); in addition, two Illinois teams appeared at NSC but not HSNCT: Dan-Don (obviously irrelevant to this discussion) and Lisle.

If I had to guess, barring anything unusual, Stevenson, Auburn A, St. Ignatius, and Carbondale will attend both next year. Loyola and Oak Park-River Forest have a good chance at doing so. I have no idea about Lisle. The remaining teams, with the possible exception of New Trier, were (again, this is only my opinion and guess) only able to and/or interested in attending HSNCT because it was in Chicago, and will probably thus attend no nationals next year unless NSC is held fairly nearby.
Jonah Greenthal
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

I don't know about Auburn. We may or may not have the funds to go to both; if both NSC and HSNCT are in places we'd have to fly to (we'll have to fly to Atlanta, I would think), I don't really know what we'll do. Obviously we'd like to go to both, but funds have been an issue in the past for us, and we really haven't received any indication that that'll change in the future. It doesn't help when the state of your school's administration is frequently in flux.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

For once living in the south is an advantage: Atlanta is close enough to drive.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I just received an email from Dale Thayer indicating that the Masonic tournament will again be using QG and that ridiculous new format.
Jonah Greenthal
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

The prosecution rests its case.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Aaron Goldfein
Wakka

Post by Aaron Goldfein »

jonah wrote:I just received an email from Dale Thayer indicating that the Masonic tournament will again be using QG and that ridiculous new format.
Maybe a massive boycott is in order.
Aaron Goldfein
Niles West ('10)
Carnegie Mellon ('14)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Agreed, but don't hold yoour breath, Aaron.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Aaron Goldfein wrote:
jonah wrote:I just received an email from Dale Thayer indicating that the Masonic tournament will again be using QG and that ridiculous new format.
Never going to happen, given the money at stake.
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Nolan, your predictions look eerily similar to Lloyd's post last year, and they still hold pretty true. [=

here's an assessment of my team.
Lisle: After a disappointing finish at PACE, Lisle returns the A team minus Naiomi. Michael Swartz has actual and fake knowledge in chemistry and physics. I'll get lit questions on stock clues probably; I've been definitely hitting fine arts/soc-sci/philosophy harder than last year. Neal and PJ have written a few questions for SCOP and are good for a few PPG. Besides seniors, we have Matt, Juice/Pat, Azfar, Thomas, and freshmen who all show promise. We'll have to permanently fix serious holes in history, religion, and current events to be able to consistently beat other "tier two" teams...
In sum: Lisle will do well on arts, science and lit, but has only scattered knowledge outside of that.

I think Latin lost just about everybody except Alex(?), so Lisle is probably the favorite to win IHSA State in Class A. Macomb has people who went to Ace camp IIRC, and should do well too. Never played Litchfield. Hopefully other small schools are out there pursuing quizbowl.
Greg Dzuricsko; Lisle 2011
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Bonito wrote:I think Latin lost just about everybody except Alex(?), so Lisle is probably the favorite to win IHSA State in Class A. Macomb has people who went to Ace camp IIRC, and should do well too. Never played Litchfield. Hopefully other small schools are out there pursuing quizbowl.
There are schools out there that have played good tournaments, but they don't travel much, if at all (read: 2 hours is usually too much, given the ginormous rosters being transported.)
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Aaron Goldfein wrote:
Yeah. Our prospects to go to HSNCT and NSC this year are very dependent on our ability to cash in through the Masons, no matter how twisted the format may be. Money is simply too big of an issue for most teams to follow through with a boycott.
Greg Dzuricsko; Lisle 2011
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Aaron Goldfein wrote:
The accountant knows of what he speaks, especially with the state of Illinois in such an enchanting financial condition.

As much as I loathe the format and question provider, the bottom line here is indeed the bottom line. Schools are cutting programs (the South Central Conference is down to 9 teams and quite possibly less by the time I get the report from my AD once I return to school) and faculty left and right, and I'm counting myself among the lucky that I have a job for this coming year. Those of us who are coaching/supervising burgeoning programs and want to continue to promote good quiz bowl may need to use not-so-good-quiz bowl as a means to an end. Our conference cannot afford good questions that satisfy IHSA format. Look, if we get teams to come to Greenville for a Masonic Sectional again and some of them happen to walk out the door with Mason Cash for their program, then all the better; the only thing I can do is encourage coaches to spend that cash on good quiz bowl. If teams don't need the money or balk at playing for reasons that have been outlined ad infinitum on these forums, then that's their choice; I refuse to judge them nor will I spend this season feeling inferior to someone else because of a choice that I as a coach made that was in the best interest of my team and its long-term health. Keeping a job and a team beyond this season for my underclassmen who love quiz bowl is a choice I will make 9 days a week.
Jay Winter
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Fan of Good Questions
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

My own little "preview" of downstate Class A will include the usual cast of suspects. New Berlin, Macomb, PORTA, Litchfield, Fairfield, Warrensburg-Latham, St. Joseph-Ogden, etc. Have to toss in Carterville and Staunton in this list too.

Clearly this is a big year of transition for the teams that are down this way; the list of 2010 graduating seniors from great teams down this way reads like a who's-who of excellent players. Tuscola lost Chris, PORTA lost Justin, Litchfield lost Evan & Peter, Effingham St Anthony lost a pair of their best players, etc etc etc.

All of this opens the door for some potential change; my one prediction for this part of the state is that we are likely to see some changes in tournament winners from previous years. Expect a few more upsets and surprises along the way, especially on Pulaski Day 2011. I choose to install Fairfield, Macomb, New Berlin, and quite possibly Carterville as teams that could comprise half of the Class A field next March in Peoria. Up north, I think Lisle and St Ignatius will be difficult teams to beat.

I am unsure if any of my team reads my posts here, but if they do, my message to them (and to everyone else) is simple about our Greenville Comets for 2010-11; we go as far as you take us. The sky is the limit. We are balanced, competitive, and have lots of depth.

Good luck to all teams for the coming season. I wish you all good health and safe travels as we get ready to have another go at it.
Jay Winter
Fan of Good Questions
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

CometCoach72 wrote:Up north, I think Lisle and St Ignatius will be difficult teams to beat.
I'm not sure if you're implying otherwise here, but St. Ignatius is class AA. (However, your statement on its face is 100% right.)
Jonah Greenthal
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

CometCoach72 wrote:PORTA lost Justin
Did you hear something I didn't? This will be Justin's Senior year and hopefully the supporting cast has been working hard over the summer. It should also be noted that New Berlin lost all thier starters from last year and will be playing with alot of underclassmen (or underclasspersons??). Macomb will be very strong since they basically have lost only a couple and Tristin is only getting better. Litchfield is always strong. Also of note will be Springfield-Lutheran as a dark horse who may benefit from playing well with freshman and sophomores for the past two years.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

jonah wrote:
CometCoach72 wrote:Up north, I think Lisle and St Ignatius will be difficult teams to beat.
I'm not sure if you're implying otherwise here, but St. Ignatius is class AA. (However, your statement on its face is 100% right.)

Ahh yes...with apologies. The multiplier, I presume?
Jay Winter
Fan of Good Questions
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

mrgsmath wrote:
CometCoach72 wrote:PORTA lost Justin
Did you hear something I didn't? This will be Justin's Senior year and hopefully the supporting cast has been working hard over the summer. It should also be noted that New Berlin lost all thier starters from last year and will be playing with alot of underclassmen (or underclasspersons??). Macomb will be very strong since they basically have lost only a couple and Tristin is only getting better. Litchfield is always strong. Also of note will be Springfield-Lutheran as a dark horse who may benefit from playing well with freshman and sophomores for the past two years.

Oh my. I appear to have stepped in it again, haven't I? Well Mr. Grant, I was going to tell you that Justin was a secret agent working for me all along, but I'm guessing that would be an even bigger whopper than his actual age. With apologies- I'm only operating on one cup of coffee on the day that this nonsense was posted.
Jay Winter
Fan of Good Questions
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

CometCoach72 wrote:
jonah wrote:
Ahh yes...with apologies. The multiplier, I presume?
Their enrollment is 1360 according to the IHSA's site, and 1380 according to Wikipedia, so nope...they're just big.
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I have an idea that will get us away from talking IHSA...

HSAPQ is writing 2 sets this year. Last year, they did 4 - Earlybird, Decemberist, Loyburn, Wildcat. Earlybird has moved on to DAFT 2, which ostensibly leaves Loyburn (now in fall, switching with Ultima) without a set.

So...I think I'm gonna call shotgun for Decemberist... :twisted:

What should we do?
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I think Linda has already spoken to HSAPQ about Loyburn.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

David Riley wrote:I think Linda has already spoken to HSAPQ about Loyburn.
uh oh :sad:

OK, so what mirrors are available for late fall semester? HFT's out, GSAC's out, HSAPQ's out, NAQT's out (according to sources, the three IS sets scheduled to be done by the new year are reserved for IHSA format rounds, Kickoff, and IHSA format rounds, chronologically)...I think we're going to have to look at college sets for Decemberist 4.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

styxman wrote:

OK, so what mirrors are available for late fall semester? HFT's out, GSAC's out, HSAPQ's out, NAQT's out (according to sources, the three IS sets scheduled to be done by the new year are reserved for IHSA format rounds, Kickoff, and IHSA format rounds, chronologically)...I think we're going to have to look at college sets for Decemberist 4.
Delta Burke is decent.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Dominator wrote:
I think national hardware is a pretty damn powerful motivator for administrators to support programs. But even then, I don't think it's very relevant to our discussion. To put my view of the state and Masonic tournament in another context, think of "scholastic bowl" as the statewide classical music competition your parents push you to enter so you can play the piano they forced you to learn, and you do it because you know that they won't let you play keyboard in your new band (which, for discussion's sake, we'll venture to say is good enough to be somewhere in the category of the best bands in the nation) unless you play that piano. The rock band in this case is quizbowl. Obviously, being the good kid that you are (Dan-Don is the runaway child), you do your best at the classical music competition in order to please your parents and not look like an idiot. However, you don't really practice your classical piano pieces for eleven months out of the year, and you put all of your energy into your band and keyboarding, which, by the way, keeps you in reasonable shape for piano. In fact, you're still one of the best piano players you know.

So yeah, you don't mind being pretty good at piano, but it's not nearly your main focus, and you never find yourself worrying about it very much at all, let alone discussing it with your friends. I haven't seen much discussion specific to nationals yet. That's what bothers me.
jonah wrote:Dan-Don (obviously irrelevant to this discussion)
Wait, no one's playing for Dan-Don this year?
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

:w-hat:?
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

wd4gdz wrote:
styxman wrote:

Delta Burke is decent.
That's the leader in the clubhouse at the moment; however, it is early August, so I'm not going to make any decisions just yet. (Chris Borglum, if you're reading this, would you be up for an Illinois high school mirror? Otherwise, I'll probably email you in a few weeks.)
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Billy pointed this out to me (as otherwise I'm not prone to reading the HS section). In any case, certainly y'all can use the DB set, and without cost. Just be sure to look at old sets (and perhaps try to encourage other teams to do so), especially last year's, so everyone knows what they're in for. For some elite HS teams, DB would be considered on the easy side, but I imagine it might also be considered tough by less-experienced teams.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Delta Burke would probably be a good fit, but in the interest of considering all possibilities, what about Solon's tournament from last year? Would they consider delaying its release that long?
Jonah Greenthal