Florida '10-'11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Ranking of teams as I see it thus far:
1. Pensacola: We only lose David, and we're a really balanced team. I'll probably step up to learn physics, and we should have everything else pretty much on lock down.
2. Ransom Everglades: Only loses one player and retains the majority of its scoring power.
3. Chiles: People from Chiles have told me that they will be attending more tournaments, and they have some really smart cookies there.

Everyone else: Since there's no real quizbowl circuit in Florida, it's hard to tell anything about the rest of the teams. However, I doubt that they will be able to topple Pensacola or Randoms Everglades. Eastside and Montverde might be able to beat Chiles. I dunno. Florida's a weird state for quizbowl.

Anyone wanna fill in any blanks?
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:Ranking of teams as I see it thus far:
1. Pensacola: We only lose David, and we're a really balanced team. I'll probably step up to learn physics, and we should have everything else pretty much on lock down.
2. Ransom Everglades: Only loses one player and retains the majority of its scoring power.
3. Chiles: People from Chiles have told me that they will be attending more tournaments, and they have some really smart cookies there.

Everyone else: Since there's no real quizbowl circuit in Florida, it's hard to tell anything about the rest of the teams. However, I doubt that they will be able to topple Pensacola or Randoms Everglades. Eastside and Montverde might be able to beat Chiles. I dunno. Florida's a weird state for quizbowl.

Anyone wanna fill in any blanks?
Hey man, I would caution you to keep an eye out for Marianna. They probably won't be able to go to alot of the tournaments you guys do, but they are in the works of securing funds for HSNCT and they have Paul Kelson, (aka Little Dallin, aka Chicken Little) who is blossoming into a very, very, good player.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:17 am

Jesus vs. Dragons wrote:
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:Ranking of teams as I see it thus far:
1. Pensacola: We only lose David, and we're a really balanced team. I'll probably step up to learn physics, and we should have everything else pretty much on lock down.
2. Ransom Everglades: Only loses one player and retains the majority of its scoring power.
3. Chiles: People from Chiles have told me that they will be attending more tournaments, and they have some really smart cookies there.

Everyone else: Since there's no real quizbowl circuit in Florida, it's hard to tell anything about the rest of the teams. However, I doubt that they will be able to topple Pensacola or Randoms Everglades. Eastside and Montverde might be able to beat Chiles. I dunno. Florida's a weird state for quizbowl.

Anyone wanna fill in any blanks?
Hey man, I would caution you to keep an eye out for Marianna. They probably won't be able to go to alot of the tournaments you guys do, but they are in the works of securing funds for HSNCT and they have Paul Kelson, (aka Little Dallin, aka Chicken Little) who is blossoming into a very, very, good player.
Problem is that their PPB seem to be pretty low (judging from recent NAQT stats). Also, even though Paul's a great player, I'm always a little wary of one man teams. Hopefully, Marianna will be able to get out of Jackson county for a couple tournaments. That might produce a better assessment.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:
Jesus vs. Dragons wrote:
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:Ranking of teams as I see it thus far:
1. Pensacola: We only lose David, and we're a really balanced team. I'll probably step up to learn physics, and we should have everything else pretty much on lock down.
2. Ransom Everglades: Only loses one player and retains the majority of its scoring power.
3. Chiles: People from Chiles have told me that they will be attending more tournaments, and they have some really smart cookies there.

Everyone else: Since there's no real quizbowl circuit in Florida, it's hard to tell anything about the rest of the teams. However, I doubt that they will be able to topple Pensacola or Randoms Everglades. Eastside and Montverde might be able to beat Chiles. I dunno. Florida's a weird state for quizbowl.

Anyone wanna fill in any blanks?
Hey man, I would caution you to keep an eye out for Marianna. They probably won't be able to go to alot of the tournaments you guys do, but they are in the works of securing funds for HSNCT and they have Paul Kelson, (aka Little Dallin, aka Chicken Little) who is blossoming into a very, very, good player.
Problem is that their PPB seem to be pretty low (judging from recent NAQT stats). Also, even though Paul's a great player, I'm always a little wary of one man teams. Hopefully, Marianna will be able to get out of Jackson county for a couple tournaments. That might produce a better assessment.
Yeah he is a step away from being great. For our area, he is an ungodly high school player, but he just has to improve the depth of his knowledge in non-literature and non-RMP bonuses to consistently 20-30 bonuses. I hope they do too, as Florida is already a pretty poor place for quizbowl and it is at its lowest in the Panhandle.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

munih10
Lulu
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by munih10 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Jesus vs. Dragons wrote:

Yeah he is a step away from being great. For our area, he is an ungodly high school player, but he just has to improve the depth of his knowledge in non-literature and non-RMP bonuses to consistently 20-30 bonuses. I hope they do too, as Florida is already a pretty poor place for quizbowl and it is at its lowest in the Panhandle.
The Panhandle is quite good considering its population. The I-4 corridor from Tampa through Orlando to Daytona, plus some nearby places, are the issue with Florida quizbowl. You can also throw in the several counties on the east coast above Miami, especially since South Fork's decline.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---

munih10
Lulu
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by munih10 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:53 am

To add to Kay's list of other teams that may be good, besides Eastside and Montverde, I would mention Maclay, which probably lost some people, but certainly has talent. Suwannee rather surprisingly finished third at the NAQT tournament UF ran in March (albeit against a weaker than usual field), but the main players involved may have graduated. Based on that tournament, one could tell that they had relatively little quiz bowl experience, since there were entire categories at which they struggled (e.g. fine arts and to a slightly lesser extent literature if I remember correctly). Dr. Phillips has had some decent teams, but I don't know their situation. What is the state of teams west of Tallahassee aside from Pensacola and Mariana? We haven't seen many teams from that area in the last few tournaments at UF.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:09 pm

In Pensacola (city), all the schools have basically given up on quizbowl because they haven't been able to win the county championship in over a decade (I believe) and has only gotten one person on the county CAC team in the past three years. It also doesn't help that there aren't many competitions to go to that don't necessitate an overnight stay. I believe Niceville and Choctaw have semi-active quizbowl teams. However, I know Niceville graduates at least one of its good players.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Kwang the Ninja » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 pm

munih10 wrote:NAQT tournament UF ran in March
Speaking of this-- Justin, do you know if UF is still planning on hosting the NAQT State Championship after you leave? I ask because if they aren't planning on hosting it, I believe Chipola would be very interested in hosting and would want to start preparing.
Also, speaking more generally, this is the year to try to get Florida teams interested in good quizbowl. We have a tremendous opportunity with the HSNCT being played so close, and we need to get as many Florida teams qualified and registered as possible. Justin, if you have any coach/school administration contacts for schools with dormant or active quizbowl programs, I and Mr. Young would really appreciate it if you get in touch with either of us and share that info. My email is dallincc@gmail.com, while Mr. Young's is youngs1@chipola.edu. Thanks in advance.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13

munih10
Lulu
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by munih10 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, UF is definitely interested in running it. I have been thinking that the last weekend of February maybe is the best time for it. March has too much going on, and April is little better. I'm hoping that the date change may improve the attendance. As far as expanding Florida's interest in good quizbowl, I have had extremely little success in my efforts to e-mail academic team coaches in that I-4 corridor and get them to try UF tournaments. But it's worth it to continue to try. Dr Phillips from Orlando has come to UF several times now, and I was in contact with a coach at Winter Park this spring. So those are two hopeful signs. I will send you my list of contacts. One thing that I probably should have done after the high school tournaments I've run at UF is give out information on quizbowl resources, principally this website. I don't know if you do that when you run events, but it strikes me now as a major oversight not to plug this website to Florida high school players.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---

User avatar
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:In Pensacola (city), all the schools have basically given up on quizbowl because they haven't been able to win the county championship in over a decade (I believe) and has only gotten one person on the county CAC team in the past three years. It also doesn't help that there aren't many competitions to go to that don't necessitate an overnight stay. I believe Niceville and Choctaw have semi-active quizbowl teams. However, I know Niceville graduates at least one of its good players.
To further add to the list of teams, Collegiate from Walton County (I believe) faced off against Marianna twice at our spring tournament and beat them in prelims and lost in overtime to them in the championship game. I believe they are all juniors (Dallin correct me if I am wrong), but as with Marianna, they are a step or two away from being a team that can be competitive at nationals.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

User avatar
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Alpharetta, GA

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by AlphaQuizBowler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Does anyone know of any tournaments in the Tallahassee area? I have friends who play academic bowl in Valdosta, and I figure that Tallahassee's closer than most things in Georgia.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:12 pm

FSU used to hold a fall tournament, but I think that that won't be happening for a while in the post-Billy Beyer era for a while. Rickards hosts a fall tournament on an A-set that gets some local teams. Aside from that, I don't know of any major tournaments in the area.

UF (~2 hours away from Valdosta) holds a tournament in the first week of December which is usually fun and an NAQT state championship around late March to early April though I'm not sure if Georgia teams can compete in that.

If Chipola starts hosting some high school tournaments (which I hope they do, *cough* Dallin *cough*), it's only two and a half hours to Chipola which means they would only have to leave around 7:00EST because of time change.

Pensacola might be hosting more than one tournament this year (*fingers crossed for the first one*) so if they feel like making ~5 hour trek to Pensacola they could compete in that.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Kwang the Ninja » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:If Chipola starts hosting some high school tournaments
The biggest obstacle is that we lost a lot of skilled moderators with last year's sophomore class, and we really haven't talked about hosting anything yet. Our team has been surrounded by bad things happening pretty much all summer and we are still trying to settle down into some kind of autumn rhythm.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13

1979 Sugar Bowl
Lulu
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by 1979 Sugar Bowl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 am

Kwang the Ninja wrote:Our team has been surrounded by bad things happening pretty much all summer and we are still trying to settle down into some kind of autumn rhythm.
You better beat the freshman into line.
Cody Pickens
Chipola College '10
University of Florida '12

wd4gdz
Tidus
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by wd4gdz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Rumor has it Maclay beat Pensacola and won the NWFSC tournament this past weekend. I can only assume Pensacola was without some of their key players?
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Yeah, we were without Helie, and I was running off of 2 hours of sleep. Excuses aside, we probably should have still won that game. We have a ways to go. We seem to have lost a lot of our science ballsiness (and ballsiness in general) with the departure of David. I still maintain that Pensacola is the best team in the state though I think Maclay is a close second (haven't seen Ransom Everglades so I'll have to assume they're a little behind at third).

I have to say that I'm disappointed with NAQT's questions so far. I really hope they reduce their number of pop culture questions and improve the overall quality of their questions.

Also, I think that if a tournament is going to use NAQT questions and is going to be an NAQT nationals qualifier, they shouldn't be allowed to add their own sections to matches. I came in expecting NAQT played 20/20 and got that except with some dumb, poorly inspired themed category section at halftime. I think there needs to be some regulation of this stuff.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Unicolored Jay » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote: I have to say that I'm disappointed with NAQT's questions so far. I really hope they reduce their number of pop culture questions and improve the overall quality of their questions.

Also, I think that if a tournament is going to use NAQT questions and is going to be an NAQT nationals qualifier, they shouldn't be allowed to add their own sections to matches. I came in expecting NAQT played 20/20 and got that except with some dumb, poorly inspired themed category section at halftime. I think there needs to be some regulation of this stuff.
If this theme round stuff was like housewritten and counted towards the score, and without which Maclay would not have beaten you, then you can still say you're the best in the state. However, combining sets, without prior agreement, is not a good thing at all.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

wd4gdz
Tidus
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by wd4gdz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:21 pm

The match in question may or may not have been 445-220.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU

User avatar
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Kwang the Ninja » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Having read at this tournament, I can certainly second the suggestion that the "give and takes", as they were called, were quite annoying (and occasionally unfair). I don't think those are the exact things that cost PHS the championship round, but I can also vouch for NAQT having wonky packets that lend themselves to upsets. That's why we play more than 4 prelim rounds, people!
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:13 am

Given that both teams have only played one match against each other on a wonky quasi-NAQT round, Pensacola was missing a key player, I was running off of 2 hours of sleep due to being in the ER for a while for my foot, Maclay was being read to by their coach (whose moderating style was... questionable at times), I think I'm within reason by still putting Pensacola over Maclay. I don't want to sound like a sore loser, but I don't think one game is enough to decide that Maclay is better than Pensacola especially considering past performance. Maclay was still the better team in that match. That, I will not dispute. However, I have my reservations as to whether they'll be better than Pensacola on a consistent basis.
Kay, Chicago.

dstups
Kimahri
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by dstups » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:36 pm

Just saying as far as the give and takes go maclay and PHS got the exact same number of points and PHS was given their first choice. And the questions played grossly out of maclay's strengths as far as subject matter went.
David Stupski, Maclay 2011
Exegi monumentum aere perrennius- Horace, Ode 3.30

dstups
Kimahri
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by dstups » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:16 pm

In what ways was the moderating questionable?
David Stupski, Maclay 2011
Exegi monumentum aere perrennius- Horace, Ode 3.30

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:42 am

We played grossly out of our strengths too because we didn't know what we were getting. Picking which give and take you get isn't really an advantage when categories like "A Deal with the Devil" could mean anything from Faust to The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

As for the moderator issue, it looked like there were a lot of non-verbal clues being given out during bonuses (head nods and whatnot) which were probably unintentional. However, I think a coaches of teams should never read for their teams. But, that's not a knock on Maclay. I think the tournament director should have rectified that situation.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 am

Hopefully, we'll get to play again at UF to settle this.
Kay, Chicago.

dstups
Kimahri
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by dstups » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Hopefully, It'll be a good match. How does a team get to HSNCT?
David Stupski, Maclay 2011
Exegi monumentum aere perrennius- Horace, Ode 3.30

User avatar
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Unicolored Jay » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:52 pm

dstups wrote:Hopefully, It'll be a good match. How does a team get to HSNCT?
Finish in the top 15% of teams at a tournament using questions provided by NAQT. If there isn't such a tournament you can apply for a wild card bid, and NAQT will evaluate your season record.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

Valens
Kimahri
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Valens » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:22 pm

It was definitely a good match. The whole thing with the bad moderating is totally wrong, however. Sure, I understand that when one loses one looks for excuses, but the Maclay coach is one of the best Quiz Bowl and Certamen readers in the nation, and I will go to my grave swearing that he would never give any sort of illegal nods or hints to his teams. Secondly, sure, the give and take was a little silly, but as I recall the total points received on those that round was close for both teams, and even without the give and take Maclay would have won by a lot. I understand that the circumstances might have been bad, and we all have bad days, but Maclay won fairly, and there is absolutely no reason to trash talk about other teams.
Vasilije Dobrosavljevic
Maclay School 2012
"Witty quote here"

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm not knocking on Maclay here. You guys have a good team. The coach thing is just something my teammates noticed. You guys won fair and square. You were the better team that match. But, I also don't think that having the other team's coach read and moderate for their own team is ever a good idea. Although small, there is a slight advantage there. Again, this isn't a knock on Maclay. It's more of a knock on the organization of the tournament.

As for the give and takes, there's no reason why they should be there in the first place. They were very poorly written; and even if it didn't have an effect on our match, I'm sure it did for a lot of other matches. The categories were also rarely what they advertised which is quite deceitful.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:52 pm

By the way, are you guys going to UF?
Kay, Chicago.

dstups
Kimahri
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by dstups » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Yah, we'll see you guys at UF. are you guys coming to Rickards?
David Stupski, Maclay 2011
Exegi monumentum aere perrennius- Horace, Ode 3.30

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Nope. It's homecoming =\.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Actually, we're bringing one or two teams to Rickards it seems. We'll be short one Kay and one Nathan due to homecoming though.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Kwang the Ninja » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:35 pm

I would highly suggest that both teams go to ACF Fall in Tuscaloosa. The questions are all A++ and nobody can complain about format abnormalities, etc. I know it's a little far for Maclay, but I know y'all will not regret it if you can get out there. It's a fantastic set.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13

dstups
Kimahri
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by dstups » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:53 pm

We probably can'tt make that one. All of our funds are invested in UF seeing as we'll be bringing three teams there and need to pay for 5 hotel rooms. Tell us how you do at it though.
David Stupski, Maclay 2011
Exegi monumentum aere perrennius- Horace, Ode 3.30

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:22 am

The tournament at UF was really fun. Maclay, Rickards, and Ransom Everglades were all really good teams. For the varsity division, the final match was between Pensacola A and Ransom Everglades A with Ransom Everglades coming out on top after a very fun match. The semifinalists were Maclay A and Rickards A. For the junior varsity division, the final match was between Pensacola C and Ransom Everglades D with Pensacola coming out on top. The semifinalists I believe were Rickards C and another team (Eastside C? Maybe it was Maclay C).

There were some complaints to be made though. The worst thing about this tournament was the egregious amount of repeats. I can't count the number of times answer lines were repeated. Another complaint was the quality of the questions themselves. It seems a lot were written on very short notice. Our coach said someone admitted to writing questions one or two days before using only wikipedia (wikiplagiarism has been confirmed). Also, the number of unhelpful clues were rampant. In the most egregious example, a tossup on Flannery O'Connor made no mention of her works until after "for ten points." Also, the lead-ins were often way to easy, and questions were often chock full of stock clues.

A pet peeve was the skew of the sub-distributions. Like, it seemed there was a slant in mythology towards only Greco-Roman. But that's just a pet peeve and didn't take away from the tournament overall.

In terms of logistics, it took much longer than it needed to. Sometimes, there was almost a 30 minute wait between matches. Also, the random drawing of numbers for preliminary matches wasn't ideal. I think UF should more or less know the quality of field and seed accordingly, but if they didn't, then it's understandable why the random drawing was selected. By the way, I still don't know how those preliminary matches were supposed to work. Were the teams just randomly paired up? Oh, also, I wasn't a fan of the single-elimination system. A round robin would have been much more satisfying.

Overall, I had a great time at the tournament. It was fun playing our friends from Ransom Everglades and our new friends from Maclay. There are some things that can be ironed out in this tournament for future iterations, but I have no doubts that it'll continue being one of the highlights of competition for Pensacola and other schools.

Thanks again to everyone at UF for putting on this tournament. I'm looking forward to your tournament in the spring!

All that being said, I think quizbowl in Florida is very strong this year. Much stronger than I thought. Pensacola, Ransom Everglades, Rickards, and Maclay all have a good shot of making it pretty deep into the HSNCT playoffs if they decide to go (if any of you guys are reading this, go to it! It'll probably be the closest a national tournament will ever be to our fair state).

I won't make a ranking for the teams in Florida because I don't think that's fair to all the teams. Suffice to say, it's going to be a fun year for Florida quizbowl.
Kay, Chicago.

Valens
Kimahri
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Valens » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:32 am

I agree with Kay on basically everything he's said. The tournament was lots of fun, but I think that better planning and question writing would bring it back up to the standard it's held in previous years. It was nice meeting you guys, and it was even more fun playing against you. We hope to see you soon. We might be hosting a tournament at Maclay in the spring, but that's still very tentative. Either way, hope to see you sometime soon!
Vasilije Dobrosavljevic
Maclay School 2012
"Witty quote here"

bjorkchop
Lulu
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by bjorkchop » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Agreed. This was a fun tournament, and Reitz Union was a good location (spaces to sit, food court, foosball). With an untimed tournament, varying moderator styles, a dozen-plus rooms, and a new venue -- the delays weren't too unreasonable. Sure, some very early give-away clues and a stack of repeats, but the bottom line was that these were very playable high-school packets. Hopefully we'll run into you all again this year -- at South Fork, our tournament on 3/26 (I guess I should do an announcement...), or NAQT States TBA.
Steve Frappier
The Westminster Schools (GA), 2015-
Ransom Everglades School (FL), 2006-15 | 2014 Florida NASAT coach
WUSTL, 1996-2000 (player) & 2000-2006 (advisor)
"This is not ... the salad ... of my people!" -M. Cho, Revolution

User avatar
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Kwang the Ninja » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 pm

Chipola will be hosting a tournament March 11 on IS-104, fees and such to be announced at a later date. We hope to see you all there.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13

User avatar
Frater Taciturnus
Auron
Posts: 2463
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Frater Taciturnus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote: It'll probably be the closest a national tournament will ever be to our fair state).
PACE NSC 2005 was IN your "fair" state!
George Berry
georgeberry.vcu@gmail.com
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote: It'll probably be the closest a national tournament will ever be to our fair state).
PACE NSC 2005 was IN your "fair" state!
Oh, how could I forget. Well, it hasn't been around here for a while. (Also, Orlando is much further away from some of us than Atlanta).
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by dtaylor4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote: It'll probably be the closest a national tournament will ever be to our fair state).
PACE NSC 2005 was IN your "fair" state!
Oh, how could I forget. Well, it hasn't been around here for a while. (Also, Orlando is much further away from some of us than Atlanta).
Orlando is far away for a lot of people. As awesome as the weather is, the negatives are too much.

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:46 pm

dtaylor4 wrote:
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote: It'll probably be the closest a national tournament will ever be to our fair state).
PACE NSC 2005 was IN your "fair" state!
Oh, how could I forget. Well, it hasn't been around here for a while. (Also, Orlando is much further away from some of us than Atlanta).
Orlando is far away for a lot of people. As awesome as the weather is, the negatives are too much.
Yeah agreed. Personally, I really like the idea of the Atlanta site.
Kay, Chicago.

Valens
Kimahri
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Valens » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:03 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that we (Maclay) have been approved by NAQT to host a tournament on February 19. It'll be at Maclay (Tallahassee) and we'll be using NAQT questions which should not be as silly as the UF ones. It would be nice to see you all there.
Vasilije Dobrosavljevic
Maclay School 2012
"Witty quote here"

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Are there any links to stats for a good tournament Ransom Everglades has played in? I'm excited to see they will be returning to Wash U in a month and am curious to see what their numbers look like.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

bjorkchop
Lulu
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by bjorkchop » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Charlie -- we've only been able to play in one tournament this year, up at UF. We were 10-1 (6-1 prelims, 4-0 playoffs). Prelims were 2435PF-800PA, 17.39 PPTH, 21.36 P/B. PPG for each player was about 41, 33, 28, & 7. We're headed to Wash U; our top player can't make it, so we're promoting our top sophomore to the "A" team -- and he ended up scoring about 45PPG on the "B" team at the UF tournament. It's a new configuration for them, so we'll see.
Steve Frappier
The Westminster Schools (GA), 2015-
Ransom Everglades School (FL), 2006-15 | 2014 Florida NASAT coach
WUSTL, 1996-2000 (player) & 2000-2006 (advisor)
"This is not ... the salad ... of my people!" -M. Cho, Revolution

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:19 am

On what packet set did you play for that tournament?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:37 am

It was house-written.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:43 am

They have a sample on their website of a round of questions. The website hasn't been updated for almost 3 years though so it doesn't reflect the quality of their current work very well. Though, I have to admit I didn't like this set of questions as much as I do NAQT (for reasons enumerated above), and that's saying something.

EDIT: However, Ransom Everglades's stats are still impressive and they are still the real deal. Missing their best player might hurt them some though.
Kay, Chicago.

User avatar
kayli
Auron
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by kayli » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 pm

Is there any interest of starting a Florida team to attend NASAT this year?
Kay, Chicago.

bjorkchop
Lulu
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Florida '10-'11

Post by bjorkchop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:58 pm

NAQT State Championship was at UF this weekend. We are thinking Spring Break caused a conflict with a lot of teams?

11 teams (2 bids to HSNCT)
Branford
Choctawhatchee
Plant City
Volusia County's CAC Team (mostly Spruce Creek)
Dr. Phillips A, B
Ransom A, B
Ransom C, D (Div 2)
Oak Hall (Div 2)

Volusia County was 6-1, then had to leave, so the final 3 rounds were forfeits. The original plan was round-robin then semis, then finals, but it was 7pm and time to call it quits after Round 11.

- Ransom A was 10-0 (5th straight state championship)
- Plant City (7-3)
- Volusia County (6-4)
Steve Frappier
The Westminster Schools (GA), 2015-
Ransom Everglades School (FL), 2006-15 | 2014 Florida NASAT coach
WUSTL, 1996-2000 (player) & 2000-2006 (advisor)
"This is not ... the salad ... of my people!" -M. Cho, Revolution

Locked