Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament (10/02/10)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Huang
Rikku

Re: Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament (10/02/10)

Post by Huang »

Congrats to Nick for the solo win today. Stats.
Sandy
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Wow---Nick averaged over 350ppg and 17ppb playing solo? We just played the same set at Princeton, so knowing this set makes this performance quite impressive. So, CONGRATULATIONS to Nick on an outstanding performance.

But WHO is Nick? And what does DDII stand for? Is it a High School? If not, IS Nick affiliated with a HS? And it would be great to hear answers to these questions from anyone who knows, but especially from Nick, if he does not mind.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Edward Powers wrote:Wow---Nick averaged over 350ppg and 17ppb playing solo? We just played the same set at Princeton, so knowing this set makes this performance quite impressive. So, CONGRATULATIONS to Nick on an outstanding performance.

But WHO is Nick? And what does DDII stand for? Is it a High School? If not, IS Nick affiliated with a HS? And it would be great to hear answers to these questions from anyone who knows, but especially from Nick, if he does not mind.
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate them.

My name is Nick Neuteufel. I go to duPont Manual High School. I'm on the A-team. Manual couldn't send a team, so I went solo.
DDII is my own team nickname. It stands for Dan-Don II: The Emperor Strikes Back, in honor of Dan Donohue.

I don't mind

Edit: I'm a junior.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thank you for the information. And you are only a junior! I have a pretty good team myself in NJ, but your solo performance virtually matched my kids statiistically, and putting up over 17ppb by yourself is quite impressive indeed.

Given this, I can imagine how good duPont Manual is when you are all playing together!

Meanwhile, did you see Hunter A & B's performance on the same set? Especially Hunter A?

But a quick speculation---how might duPont have done had your whole A team played? I know you cannot be sure, but do you have a rough idea, based on the strengths of your missing teammates?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Edward Powers wrote:Thank you for the information. And you are only a junior! I have a pretty good team myself in NJ, but your solo performance virtually matched my kids statiistically, and putting up over 17ppb by yourself is quite impressive indeed.

Given this, I can imagine how good duPont Manual is when you are all playing together!

Meanwhile, did you see Hunter A & B's performance on the same set? Especially Hunter A?

But a quick speculation---how might duPont have done had your whole A team played? I know you cannot be sure, but do you have a rough idea, based on the strengths of your missing teammates?
Thanks again.

I saw their performances. Good job, Hunter!

Speculation -- I am ignorant of science/math, trash, and some lit (those are the areas where I didn't pick up the power or the question). My teammates in those areas are better or equal to me. I would estimate 23-26 ppb and at least 470-500 ppg if all four of us were together.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks again for your response. And if your estimates are even close, you have a quite a talented and gifted team indeed. I will try to follow your team's progress with great interest, and I imagine all of your friendly rivals in Kentucky and the Midwest/South will as well.

Thank you for your courtesies; good luck the rest of the season. Maybe my SJHS team will meet up with you sometime later in the year. We will be playing in a tournament with Dunbar in it in November---the annual Harvard Fall Tournament. And last April or May we did play Adair County and other schools from your region in a "Goldfish" tournament run by Coach Blessman of Culver Academies, so if we cannot meet in person, at least until nationals, maybe we could meet this way. But if not, hopefully at one or more of the great national tournaments.

Anyway, best of luck, and keep up the excellent work. It's great to see such outstanding performances, for I know from first hand experience how hard and how well you must have worked to perform at such a high level!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

Yeah, good job to Nick. I read 4 of his 9 rounds, and he some pretty good hits.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Thanks for all the compliments
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

So we're now PACE-affiliated (no gold or platinum due to field strength, which is my fault for not advertising this tournament more aggressively).
I'm not sure if duPont Manual will be able to qualify or not (I think George needs to talk to duPont Manual's coach for clarification). However, Danville did qualify for 2011 PACE NSC.
Sandy
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

But I qualified individually, right? (Like Dan-Don)
I wasn't affiliated so, it doesn't matter.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]