Chemistry?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Chemistry?

Post by Coldblueberry »

On the NAQT distribution, I see
Chemistry_Non_Element 2 19 / 17 0.7 / 0.7
Chemistry_Misc 1 10 / 8 0.4 / 0.3

Can anyone explain what these categories are and point me to a place with Chemistry Canon? Reading acf and Pace packets, I see a lot of "identify this molecule/compound" type of question with its precipitates, and common uses, and other IDing stuff.

How to study for this?
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Chemistry?

Post by Stained Diviner »

The best way to study for quizbowl chemistry is to take AP Chemistry or read through a textbook used for such a course or a College Intro course.

As you may or may not already know, you can find old Chemistry questions (or questions specific to any category) at ACFDB. You probably want to start by focusing on recent Fall and Winter questions.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Note that topics that are common at Winter (and less so at Fall) in chemistry--like organic chemistry--aren't covered by the high school canon, and except for leadins (used sparingly) and third parts of bonuses (doubly so) you won't get very high value for your time learning them. (Winter also contains some statistical mechanics, which more and more frequently finds itself as the leadins to thermodynamics tossups.
Andrew Watkins
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Coldblueberry wrote:On the NAQT distribution, I see
Chemistry_Non_Element 19 / 17
Chemistry_Misc 10 / 8

Can anyone explain what these categories are?
The subdivision of chemistry is there to make sure that element questions don't take over the entire chemistry distribution (eg, a tossup on "helium" can fill the "miscellaneous" section, but not the "not about elements" section). Here's the list of not-element tossup answers from IS #95:

indicators
Fritz Haber
sucrose
pH
metals
sigma bonds
common link tossup on "4"
Ernest Rutherford
free radicals
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
DongDonger
Lulu

Post by DongDonger »

I have a decent background in chem, so I don't find that I have to study for it as much as I do for other categories. But, I took the AP Chem test this year, and I found that the review book I used (Barron's 5th ed.) covered nearly everything in the quiz bowl canon. It has its fair share of trivia and stock clues and describes in detail the basics of the chemistry canon, such as the ones bt_green_warbler listed. Learning the mathematics behind the chemistry is also helpful, as many tossups I've seen describe the mathematical relationships between certain quantities and qualities; also, there were some thermodynamic calculations on a set I read recently. So if you want to study for quiz bowl chem, those AP review books are actually incredibly helpful (not just for chem, but for bio, world history, and Euro history, as I've found).

As far as organic chemistry, I can't really help you there because I have yet to find easy-to-understand, comprehensive, and reliable study materials for it; and functional groups and structure are basically the extent of orgy chem in the AP Chem curriculum.
Eric Ordonez
IMSA '12

나는 한국 아냐

"My teammates will introduce themselves in order of skin color from lightest to darkest" - Bonny Jain