Texas 2010 - 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
sacagawea
Lulu

Texas 2010 - 2011

Post by sacagawea »

I'm probably not the person to be broaching this topic because I'm relatively new to the forum and haven't been around Texas quiz bowl seriously for more than a year. Yet, my curiosity to hear what others have to say about Texas quiz bowl overrides any personal doubts. This first post will be focusing mostly on NAQT, because that's what is played generally in Texas, (excluding Questions Unlimited for self-evident reasons). However, teams' and individuals' performances at national tournaments other than HSNCT (namely PACE and NASAT) will be taken into account.

Disclaimer: If I use your first name and you read this post thinking: "Who is this kid who I don't know who acts like we are on such a familiar basis," I probably got your name off of various sites which compile qb results.

1. Right off the bat, of course, LASA should be considered. Placing 3rd at PACE and HSNCT, as well as sending 3 major contributors to NASAT on a team that took 5th, LASA looks poised to once again dominate the Texas landscape. To the best of my knowledge, Thomas Littrell, Benji Nguyen, and Daniel Chupin are returning from the LASA A team which took 3rd at HSNCT and PACE. The A team only loses Shen Gong, who was, though formidable on the buzzer, the lowest contributor as far as tossups went. The LASA B team, which placed 11th at HSNCT, keeps all of its players for next year, including Aaron Pellowski (41.56 ppg), who I assume will take Shen's spot on the A team. Also notable, Arthur Lee, freshman on the LASA C team at HSNCT, earned the spot of 4th ranked freshman at the tournament with 35.32 ppg.

2. The next team to be considered, Seven Lakes, is a team which really came together last year under the leadership of the great Chris Romero. Tied for 2nd in Texas (with LASA C) at the end of the 2009-2010 season, Seven Lakes turned a 6-4 record on the first day at HSNCT into an 11th place finish, knocking out Thomas Jefferson and Hume Fogg before finally conceding to Dorman A. If the team studies and grows as much as they did last year, I will be happy to see them give LASA some competition. I am truly scared of the potential of this team. Players Jiawei Li (52.91 ppg at HSNCT) and Johnathon Xu (30.58 ppg at HSNCT) are a force to be reckoned with. Seven Lakes also finished 17th at PACE NSC, with Li (65.52 ppg) and Xu (55.00 ppg) once again posting big numbers.

3. Cistercian, who placed 7th (albeit without a key player) in Texas at the end of the 2009-2010 season , finished in 43rd at the 2010 HSNCT. This finish is not terribly notable, yet Cistercian did make a small splash at HSNCT, having two of its freshman place in the top five at the tournament. Vimal Konduri (42.93 ppg) led the A team in scoring and was named top freshman at the tournament. Mitchell Weldon, (28.8 ppg) led scoring on a B team, which placed 117th at HSNCT, and was named 5th overall freshman at the tournament. Cistercian, who loses nobody from either team which went to HSNCT hopes to take its game to the next level this year and is looking forward to the competition that it will inevitably face in Texas.

4. St. Marks, tied for fourth in Texas (with LASA B) at the end of the 2009-2010 season, was led by players Stewart McDonald and Max Genecov to a very respectable 17th place at HSNCT last year. This is one of the top Texas teams, however, that will take a major hit as both Stewart (36.77 ppg at HSNCT) and Andrew Kovacs (18.83 ppg) graduated last spring. Max (30.94 ppg at HSNCT, now a senior) and James Rowan (21.33 ppg, now a sophomore) stay, however, making St. Marks a force still to be respected.

5. St. John's, placing 6th in Texas at the end of 2009-2010, missed the playoffs by one game at the 2010 HSNCT, placing 91st overall with a 5-5 record. Scott Wise (30.19 ppg) and Charlie Caplan (36.89 ppg) led the team in scoring. Caplan was also notably selected to be on the Texas NASAT team. I am almost certain that Caplan returns, but about Wise I am not sure. Either way, this team is hoping to restock and reload for the 2010-2011 season.

Other Texas teams that played with some potential to HSNCT include Franklin A (114th), Temple (115th), Highland Park (118th), Prosper (125th), and St. Andrews A (155th).

I very well may have left out a couple of teams that should have been spoken about, perhaps from the El Paso or Houston areas. Sadly, my coach really likes to go up to Oklahoma to play.

Anyway, now it's time to hear what you have to say! So let's hear everyone's big predictions for Texas in 2010-2011!

EDIT: All stats from HSNCT are not ppg averages, but rather PP20TUH
James Yoder
Cistercian Preparatory School Class of 2011
Harvard Class of 2015
New York Undercover
Wakka

Re: Texas 2010 - 2011

Post by New York Undercover »

Cool to see someone new posting on the forum! You won't get much discussion, unfortunately; someone who I won't name has essentially instituted a ban on Texas quizbowllers posting here. I wouldn't be surprised if more posts here were made by people out of state than by those in Texas itself.
Regardless, the level of Texas quizbowl has been on an impressive rise in the last few years and I hope that Cistercian (and, for that matter, my high school, though I'm unaware of the makeup of Klein's team at the moment) can contribute to the continuation of that.

By the way, Wise does return for St. Johns.
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

Welcome to the forums! It's awesome to see another person from Texas post here. The more people that are involved in the state, the better off we all are.

LASA does not bring back its entire B team as Rina and Lokesh have graduated, but we have a new group of enthusiastic freshmen that we're excited about.

Next year is going to be an exciting year for Texas given last year's results from HSNCT and PACE NSC. LASA and Seven Lakes will be good again, but the real news is Cistercian. I got to see some of your other players and camp and was impressed; I think you guys will do quite well nationally next year. Bellaire, St. John's, and St. Marks seem to have some dedicated people as well.

I really hope to see you guys more often next year and to see more discussion here.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

In terms of Texas news: There is an event in the works for October in Plano, I'm told. This is significant because Plano is a true QB hotbed, but has been firmly entrenched in doing Chip format. Hopefully, a Plano event would help us draw several Metroplex programs which were at nationals recently, like Highland Park or Prosper, who qualified for nationals through Oklahoma events. Obviously, long-term successful programs like Cistercian and strong newer programs like St. Mark's would benefit from additional local competition.

Right now, there are several programs trying to get off their feet in the quizbowl vacuum of San Antonio, at St. Mary's Hall and at Harlandale. Also, it's looking like Strake Jesuit is getting back on its feet after a few dormant years, again under Tom Kulick.

Any other transaction-wire news from Texas?
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

The Lewis Cup played itself out on the campus of Oklahoma State University in Stillwater on Saturday, September 25th. While the overall field was small, some impressive individual stats were posted. Top three point-scorers were all students at Cistercian Preparatory School in Irving, TX. The overall finishing order included a 1st and 3rd place finishes for Cistercian's teams. With the HS season of QB just getting under way, it looks as though Texas will have a number of excellent teams returning to nationals in May of 2011. Atlanta, here come the Texans! :grin:
Last edited by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
sacagawea
Lulu

Post by sacagawea »

Oh Goodness,

Please tell me "Remember the Alamo" didn't learn how to use a computer. This could get ugly.

Edit: Had to change post because parties involved requested anonymity.
James Yoder
Harvard Class of 2015
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

sacagawea wrote:Oh Goodness,

Please tell me "Remember the Alamo" didn't learn how to use a computer. This could get ugly.

Edit: Had to change post because parties involved requested anonymity.
Posting on the board anonymously is emphatically not permitted, so I'll give "remember the alamo" another 24 hours to respond to the existing request that he enable a proper signature or be banned.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Wakka

I understand the Texas QB Alliance had its Kickoff tourney at Seven Lakes/Katy (Houston). Cistercian was able to field two teams, which performed admirably. In spite of member absences due to Cross Country, Homecoming Prep, football, and general exhaustion, we managed a 3rd place finish and a tie for 5th, I believe. With 5-hour drives both way, fatigue was obviously a factor in the level of play for the Hawks. All in all, though, Chris Romero did a fine job in serving the high school QB community once again. I'll be interested in the personal/team stats when posted, but I assume that will take a couple of days.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Here are the stats for Kickoff (well, the varsity ones anyway).

http://www.texasquizbowl.org/d/10kickoff/V/
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Of course, I'm not sure what teams Fr. Gregory was talking about, but it looks like teams from Cisterson and Cistercion did quite well...

Just kidding. Really, despite some spelling errors in the stats, Kickoff was quite a nice tournament. This was the biggest field I've ever seen here in Texas, and Chris and his staff managed things very well. I'm really happy to see the circuit in Texas growing so rapidly, and to see such a competitive tournament so early in the season. Kudos to all the top teams - St. Stephen's, St. Mark's, Bellaire, and of course Cistercian. We're looking forward to some good QB in Texas this year.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Wakka

As Cassian has rightly observed, when I spoke of "Cistercian" teams, those names didn't appear. Having Chris Romero's solemn oath in blood, wine, and branch water, i know that he'll correct those "alternate" spellings. I, too, in private correspondence, expressed my thanks to TQBA and Chris Romero. Running 3 tournaments at once must be something akin to operating an insane asylum stocked only with aspirin and padded rooms! Frankly, I think it's going to be a HECK of a season as we blast our way through to Atlanta. If I can ever find ONE week-end and ONE tournament when ALL my students are available, LOOK OUT! So much for braggadoccio (sp?). Sacagawea may impune my computer literacy skills, but when it comes to having the ultimate advantage [he's in my senior English class, and I write his college recs!], I feel quite capable of handling "meself" in the rough and tumble of Cyber-Quiz-Combat.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Man, i think we may have met Ed Powers' long lost twin...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Very funny. But of course you are correct---he is my diabolic twin. Notice the sinister way he threatens his English student. And you cannot miss his wondrous bellicosity! Yup, my TWIN. Geminis to the core!!!! Soooooooooo perceptive of you, Coach Chrz!!!!!!! I call him Mephistopheles---from sheer affection, of course. Two "monks" in sheep's clothing. :twisted:
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Father Gregory, I heard a story sometime in the past 18 years that you were on Tic Tac Dough with Wink Martindale. Is that canon, or apocryphal? I can only imagine what video of that would be worth to your students...

Congrats on your trip to Stillwater. Hopefully you and misters Romero and Flowers will get to do a good bit of traveling this year.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Wakka

WOW!
I had NO idea that Yankees were going to be reading these postings. I mean, I would have used better English -- at the very least.
I'm not exactly sure what the inside joke is between Messrs. Carangoides ciliarius and Ed Powers. I guess I'll just have to wait in unhope on that one. A Gemini? Yikes! Perish the thought - I am a 100% Capricorn and proud of it. And that drive-by slam about 'Mehistopheles' is simply so degrading; I only deal with the upper crust when it comes to demonic forces and powers, no pun intended. After all, I am the only monk on this whole board, n'est pas? Besides, teaching English has its advantages over other lesser subjects (Note to self: revise and insert appropriate subjects).

It grieves me, then, to have to inform the Yankees that I actually did cross the Mason-Dixon line and lived in, GASP, Delaware, for a short while -- Newark, to be exact. But then sanity returned and Texas beckoned me to return - Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad -- after all.

Finally, to the remark about "Tic Tac Dough and Wink Martindale" -- Sadly, I am old enough to actually know what the reference is, but, NO, I had no such association. The story is beyond Apocryphal and borders on the Gnostic or hallucinogenic, I suspect. My only brush with infamy was at a British Airways counter -- about 18 years ago -- when my documents did not match up (That travel agent never heard the end of it!) and I was hauled out of line. Thankfully, a BA official had mercy on me and realized that, no, I was not an IRA terrorist in disguise, but a real clergyman whose brother was, indeed, getting married two days after my return and would have been VERY unhappy if I'd been detained in a UK detention facility.
But, now I must to my Dante exams return. Lots to do before my broomstick gets recharged!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Post by Chandragupta Maurya »

I really think Cistercian will be good this year, especially given the results of the last two tournaments. Albeit, the first tournament was played against a weak field in Oklahoma (without the two Edmond schools), but the second tournament saw two very undermanned CPS teams qualify for HSNCT against a fairly strong field featuring St. John's, St. Mark's, LASA B/C, and Bellaire.
Last edited by Chandragupta Maurya on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vimal Konduri
Cistercian Preparatory School '13
Harvard '17
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I bet you had no idea Yanks could read. And we forgive you for grieving about crossing the Mason-Dixon line---after all, how could you teach Dante without experiencing a little grief in your life?

We assume of course, being a Texan, from Dallas County no less, that all is sunshine in your neck of the woods, so the shadowy environs of Delaware probably did you some good---Dante again, you know.

But waiting in "unhope"---is this not blasphemy for a Monk? And your familiarity with terms like "drive-by" is a bit too familiar, don't you think? What circle of hell bubbles up such knowledge? Changing topics, your vanity about teaching English--wow--no one would ever expect an English teacher to exhibit such hubris. Or, is it hamartia? Or, God forbid, is it the sin of pride? From a monk---or is it Monk---no less?

Not being as sophisticated as a Dallas English teacher, how could the rest of us mortals really know? Especially those of us who merely teach history, or math, or science? We of the merely "gnostic" persuasions, secularists all!!!!

Methinks you protest too much about Mephistopheles---sold your soul, did you? And for a mere trip to Atlanta later this year, perhaps? A mess of pottage, that??? And what would Goethe think? You do know who Goethe is, given all the sturm und drang about Atlanta being worried about an invasion from Texas later in this quizbowl season!

Anyway, Coach Chrz probably thinks he's found someone as sane as I am on the boards. It probably goes back to a little playful teasing of mine of one Chris Ray of the University of Maryland which occurred last year, but this is too esoteric and recondite a story for now. Anyway, I think Coach Chrz, or Carangoides Ciliarius as you know him, thinks I am absolutley mad, I guess, since he clearly thinks that you and I are long lost twins. I of course merely humored him, as you have now humored us.

So let me close by saying, welcome to the boards. You seem to have a great sense of humor, and, based on results so far, a very gifted team as well. Good luck the rest of the season. And we will allow you to cross the Mason-Dixon line once again should you wish to attend a tournament located on Yankee turf in the future. Maybe PACE in Chicago? Meanwhile, your Rangers are going down! Unless your witches' broom is used for other dastardly purposes as well!!!!! :razz:
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Edward Powers wrote: Maybe PACE in Chicago?
How exactly does PACE qualification work?
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Chandragupta Maurya wrote:
You can qualify for PACE at PACE affiliated tournaments; PACE is in the process of recruiting a number of affiliated tournaments, including ones in Texas. Even if you don't qualify at an affiliated tournament, you can apply for a wild card position.

If the TQBA Kickoff becomes an affiliated tournament, at a minimum the top two teams would qualify (meaning LASA & St. Marks). If it receives gold certification, the next two top finishers would qualify; if it receives platinum, two more would qualify.

I am no longer in charge of tournament or team recruitment, but I am certain that you will see major updates regarding this in the very near future.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Ronnie the Bear wrote:
You can qualify for PACE at PACE affiliated tournaments; PACE is in the process of recruiting a number of affiliated tournaments, including ones in Texas. Even if you don't qualify at an affiliated tournament, you can apply for a wild card position.

If the TQBA Kickoff becomes an affiliated tournament, at a minimum the top two teams would qualify (meaning LASA & St. Marks). If it receives gold certification, the next two top finishers would qualify; if it receives platinum, two more would qualify.

I am no longer in charge of tournament or team recruitment, but I am certain that you will see major updates regarding this in the very near future.
Thanks. PACE has not posted the list of affiliated tournaments yet, but hopefully they will soon. I think the reason for that is because it is still early in the season.
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Father Gregory???? Mephistopheles????

I know, I know. You are so stunned that Yanks can read that you've been unable to respond. Either that or you are worried that your broomstick might not help you if your Texas Rangers have to play the Yankees (sic!). But one would have thought that a spirit like yours, so full of invasive bravado, would have taken up the PACE challenge this Yankee offered upthread. Guess you really have been lost in your Dante papers---probably an apt place for you, eh? Can you feel the heat? :twisted: Or are you equally surprised that a Yank might have been courteous enough to compliment your team and, equally astonishing perhaps, welcome you to the boards? Could a Yank actually possess the manners of a Southern gentleman? WOW---your system must really be in shock, since you have not as yet returned the courtesies extended. But that's OK. We of the Northern climes understand that you must have an excellent excuse, and we do recognize shock as such an excuse. Talk soon, perhaps? When you have healed and regained your senses? Or does mention of regaining your senses simply presume too much? :shock:

Welcome, once again, to the boards!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Wakka

Monks pray. I've been busy - p r a y i n g!

Yes, the Dante papers are graded, but end of quarter means "report cards"!

Goethe? Lord, what a dreary little man - writing 'Werther' really was NOT worth the wait. The pathetic protagonist couldn't even kill himself properly. Sturm und Drang? Kaum zu glauben!

I would be happy to have my teams at PACE; however, Catholic schools, not receiving endless flows of cash from the public coffers, must make due with pizza sales, tiny budgets, and monopolistic airlines at D-FW. I live in unhope.

Yes, the weather here has been lovely - 70's and low 80's with tonnes, veritable tonnes of sunshine. Tennis, anyone?

NAQT is sponsoring a tourney a few miles north of us in beautiful, upper class Plano on Saturday, the 16th. We hope to be there in force, showing what Atila the Hun can do when he has a mind for it.

But, it is the first Vespers of Sunday, so I must retire early. 4:30 AM comes around mighty quickly! And, for a monk, that is 4:30 AM every day of the year!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I can't wait to moderate a game between Cistercian and St. Joseph's
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Ondes Martenot wrote:I can't wait to moderate a game between Cistercian and St. Joseph's
Father Gregory---prayers or not, Vespers or not, look at what you've spawned! Ondes Martenot suspects a rivalry worthy of his unquestionable moderating skills!!!

Seems, despite your prayers and Vespers, despite your dismissiveness towards arguably the greatest writer in the German language, and the very creator of your Mephistophelean alter ego (your protests about lesser demonic powers (no pun intended) do not persuade), you still managed to successfully communicate your inner bellicose spirit, hence, Ondes suspects a rivalry has now been sparked between your Hunish soul and my ever gentle spirit!!! Could this be true? If so, perhaps Sacagawea was correct---things seem to have gotten ugly, for in addition to this truth, now you intend to invade lovely Plano, a community in your very own beloved Texas!

But still, I take no umbrage, for I suspect you pray for serenity and peace and justice when you pray, thus, praying to jettison the lesser angels of your nature---at least I trust you are doing this, at least when your prayers concern your own salvation. Would my specualtions here be close to the mark, or, does Sacagawea just know your better????

As far as your explanation for your possible inability to go to PACE in Chicago, you seem not to notice that SJHS is a Catholic institution as well, facing the same kind of infernal financial woes that you've suggested, so, if you promise to try to get to Chi-town, we will too---and we will try to get to lovely Atlanta as well.Then we can possibly double the chances of making Ondes quite happy!

Still, one wonders---is it the finances, or is it the fact that PACE will be held in, GASP, the good old confines of the Land of Lincoln? Given your comments about poor innocent Delaware in an earlier post---how visiting it made your soul grieve, one can only imagine how you might feel visiting the land of the greatest Yankee of all? Might it put your spirit in complete eclipse? If so, is this the real reason for your hesitation?

And getting back to Delaware for a moment. You are a Monk and felt grieved to visit NEW-ARK???? Very surprising, given the biblical origins of that Yankee polis. Further, Delaware is the home state of your biggest fan on these boards, and he is the most ardent advocate of the heretofore relatively unknown quality of your obviously gifted teams. I speak of course of the self-same Carangoides Ciliarius who, mystery of mysteries, thought you might be a long-lost twin---of mine, no less!!!!! And you repay his support and advocacy for your program with such comments about Delaware's holiest city? Hmmm...this kind of gratitude calls for deeper thought. What kind of hermeneutics could possibly explain such a strange rebuke of a friendly colleague's home state? Is not diplomatic skill one of the arts taught in Texas schools? And which circle of hell imprisons those suffering from the kind of gratitude apparently in evidence here? Sacagawea, where are you when Father Gregory needs you most?

In the meantime, I trust that your 4:30 AM Vespers went well. "Early to bed, early to rise makes a Monk healthy wealthy and wise." Ah, but you would not agree, would you, since this is a Franklinseque, and thus a Yankeeesque, sentiment.

Meanwhile---will your Rangers clinch today? Or in game 5, so they can play...the Yankees? Or might they too rather not compete if it means suffering the griefs inherent in visiting our Northern climes? :twisted:

Care to respond? Ondes would doubtless enjoy a rejoinder or two!!! :cool:
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

On a more serious note, I was looking at :chip: 's website (the things I do in my spare time) and noticed that St. Mark's is hosting a QU tourney, which to me normally indicates the team in question primarily plays on :chip: . Is this the case for St. Mark's (if it is the same St. Mark's)? Announcement in question is here. There is no motive behind this question, I'm just curious.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
sacagawea
Lulu

Post by sacagawea »

It is my understanding that St. Marks hosts a :chip: tournament because the format is popular among local teams and it is a good way to make money, so they can travel to out of state or nationals tournaments.

EDIT: Accidentally shared team secrets
James Yoder
Harvard Class of 2015
Wakka

HELLO, YANKEE LAND!
TEXAS RANGERS WIN!
ON FRIDAY, YANKEES vs TEXAS RANGERS!
Holy Cow -- and I don't even LIKE Baseball!!!!
Say, goodbye, Yanks!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Good-bye!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey,

So I just found out that LASA is unable to mirror BATE. I would still really like this set to be mirrored in Texas. This set is regular HS difficulty and is completely free to mirror. It can mirrored at any point during the school year. If interested, or have any questions, please email me at [email protected].
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

:w-hat: happened to my post about the Yankees and the Texas Rangers? I know it WAS posted! Has it been deleted in some misguided effort at censorship? Isn't playful humor allowed on these boards? Cannot a Yankee tease a Lone Star Stater with some friendly banter? Will whoever is responsible for the deletion fess up, or has political correctness taken over these boards?
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Edward Powers wrote::w-hat: happened to my post about the Yankees and the Texas Rangers? I know it WAS posted! Has it been deleted in some misguided effort at censorship? Isn't playful humor allowed on these boards? Cannot a Yankee tease a Lone Star Stater with some friendly banter?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10684
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Edward Powers wrote::w-hat: happened to my post about the Yankees and the Texas Rangers? I know it WAS posted! Has it been deleted in some misguided effort at censorship? Isn't playful humor allowed on these boards? Cannot a Yankee tease a Lone Star Stater with some friendly banter? Will whoever is responsible for the deletion fess up, or has political correctness taken over these boards?
A better place for such discussion is the baseball thread.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

But it's not about baseball.

It's about Cistercian and St. Joe's and friendship and playfulness across regional divides and boundaries.

FINAL EDIT: Color me foolish for believing quizbowl might actually try to encourage such things. Live and learn, I guess. And time to turn the page.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Yet more evidence for Cistercian's potential this year: It was co-champion (with Seven Lakes) of the TQBA Quad States Challenged, played on HSAPQ questions in Plano on October 16.
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
sacagawea
Lulu

Post by sacagawea »

Chandragupta Maurya wrote:Yet more evidence for Cistercian's potential this year: It was co-champion (with Seven Lakes) of the TQBA Quad States Challenged, played on HSAPQ questions in Plano on October 16.
Stats for aforementioned tournament are at http://texasquizbowl.org/d/10plano/

If I'm not mistaken, Seven Lakes A was missing one player. (maybe more)
The Cistercian A Team was composed for the majority of the tournament of an A-Team Junior and an A-Team Sophomore and two novices (a Junior (first tournament) and a Freshman). Another A-team player (senior) showed up for the last two matches against St. Marks A and Seven Lakes B.
The Cistercian B Team had three B-team players and two novice freshmen, who were playing in their first tournament.
The C Team was composed of 4 freshmen participating at their first tournament and an A-team senior.
James Yoder
Harvard Class of 2015
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

With Aaron gone, who exactly is LASA B returning? I was under the impression that some fraction of them were seniors last year.
Chandragupta Maurya wrote:Yet more evidence for Cistercian's potential this year: It was co-champion (with Seven Lakes) of the TQBA Quad States Challenged, played on HSAPQ questions in Plano on October 16.
Can you post a link to the stats for this event?
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

LASA C also was good enough to go 5-5 at nationals, so it's certainly within the realm of possibility those players could be moving up and stepping up their game.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

http://texasquizbowl.org/d/10plano/

Aaron is now on the A team. Adam and Max return from the HSNCT team. We have a number of underclassmen to fill teams.
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

To all of my new friends at Cistercian, especially Father Gregory, I apologize for the unpredictable and puzzling censorship of our playful correspondence. And right now, it looks like Father Gregory's broomstick is working its Talismanic magic: Texas is up, 2 games to 1, over my beloved Yankees. And you have Cliff Lee in resereve if it goes 7! What's that broomstick made of anyway?

And Congrats on your fine perfomance over the weekend, tying a formidable Seven Lakes squad for the Championship at the TQBA in Plano. Looks like you actually might be busting your way to Atlanta---and hopefully Chicago as well. Talk soon? (At least if Big Brother allows this?)
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

sacagawea wrote: If I'm not mistaken, Seven Lakes A was missing one player. (maybe more)
As far as I know, Seven Lakes was only missing John Agnew, but still had their leading scorer Jiawei
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

By virtue of the 3rd place finish at TQBA Kickoff, Cistercian has now officialy qualified for the 2011 PACE NSC, and the complete list of qualified teams can be found here:
http://www.pace-nsc.org/?p=984
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Wakka

While I respect the Southern dictum, "If you own it, you tell'em how to use it", I also think that an occasional B-ball comment is not a slacker's response for 'I have nothing to say.' Actually, most of my students find my comments on B-ball to be quite hilarious since I don't even know what the infield fly rule is or what a Designated Hitter/Batter does!

But, THANKS, for the kind remarks concerning this past weekend's tournament. Chris Romero had a tough job both coaching and running it, so I certainly appreciate his fine work. Our big disadvantage was, voila, Homecoming, taking a lot of players out of action or in the case of the Elder, retarding his participation.

So, winning one of our two matches against Seven Lakes was, well, quite satisfying. In fairness, they CLOBBERED us in the morning rounds; so, coming back in the PM was all the nicer. They have an excellent team without my having to say so.

My tribesmen are already beating the drums about PACE and other things; however, like any valid Platonic Form, I remain unmoved, unmoving, and unmovable. BUT, I am considering it. 'Nuf said.

Back to Dante Exams for one more assault on the Western canon [cannon?].
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
sacagawea
Lulu

Post by sacagawea »

sacagawea wrote: If I'm not mistaken, Seven Lakes A was missing one player. (maybe more)
As far as I know, Seven Lakes was only missing John Agnew, but still had their leading scorer Jiawei
I'm pretty sure Seven Lakes A was missing their second best player Johnathan Xu who is now a junior, and who put up over 30 pp20TUH at HSNCT last year.
James Yoder
Harvard Class of 2015
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Ah, the old Platonic Form: Unmoved and umovable---yet you are considering PACE! Excellent; we would love to see you in Yankeeland. But however much your tribesmen beat the drums, you still control the Conche, do you not? And, before signing off, it is good to know someone can read between the lines and spot some playful banter, even if one of the consequences is that my Yankees are now mystified by the effects of your broomstick! Down 3-1, things do not look good for my heroes. But there will be no quit in them, that's for sure. But back to QB stuff so Big Brother does not get too anxious: I assume Atlanta is a definite destination for you, oh Platonic one, while Chicago is up in the air? Well, if we meet you in the land of mint julips, you must come to the city of broad shoulders, musn't you? BTW: Do you have a favorite Platonic dialogue? Mine is the PHAEDRUS. I think it provides a Rosetta Stone for all the other dialogues. My kids have to read it in AP US History. They think I'm crazy. But as with you, I control the Conche! Enjoy your Dante papers! And the cannon (sic!!!!!!).
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Well, it looks as though Cistercian is going to ACF Fall in November...wonder how Cistercian will fare against college teams
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

So how did Cistercian do at ACF Fall?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Edward Powers wrote:So how did Cistercian do at ACF Fall?
Ended up not going because the field at the nearest location was too small.
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Wakka

We motored on down to Houston/Katy/Seven Lakes this past week-end and enjoyed the competition. Managed to win the Spartan Showdown against some long-standing rivals - St. John's, Bellaire, Kinkaid, etc. Vimal had some pretty devastatingly awesome stats, but I don't do floors, windows, or math, so I'll leave that up to the higher powers. Also, of note, was the entire team + chaperones took in a superb performance of Benjamin Britten's PETER GRIMES at the Houston Grand Opera. It was an artistic masterpiece that was staged and sung beautifully. Especial kudos to the opera Chorus. PS: Thanks to Chris Romero for the Spartan tournament; things ran very smoothly.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Wakka

BTW, I haven't seen any postings by Sacagawea lately. Has he retired?
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe brother Nigel from Kellenberg is a monk.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White