Potential Full Time Job Offer in Quiz Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Potential Full Time Job Offer in Quiz Bowl

Post by Great Bustard » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:04 am

Hi Everyone,
My name is David Madden, and I am the founder and Executive Director of the all new National History Bee and Bowl. These are two brand new buzzer-based competitions for high school students focusing on history (albeit with a very broad definition including history of the arts, sciences, philosophy, religion, recent history, and historical geography) that will debuting across the USA in a network of tournaments this year. All the information (subject to change) is online at www.historybowl.com and www.historybee.com
I'll be posting another post with more information on the tournaments, but in this one, I'd just like to say that I might be potentially interested in hiring a number of people to work for a full time position coordinating and directing tournaments. This position would be in the NYC area and would likely begin on or around October 1. Potentially up to as many as 6 people might be hired.
While ideally, the applicant would have a background in quiz bowl, even more important is a capacity for handling logistics, processing registrations, writing questions, recruiting schools, and other work of that sort. You would be expected to direct about 8 tournaments, primarily in Jan-March. The position would initially be through March 31, but if all goes well, it could lead to a permanent contract.
Applicants must have a college degree, and while of course all ages will be considered, it might be a position more ideally suited for a relatively recent college graduate. The salary, while not that high, will certainly provide for a living wage in the NYC area. Also, keep in mind that this would be a full time position in the quiz bowl industry during a tough economic time, so there's something to be said for that.
If you are interested in the position, or know someone who might be, please let me know at: director at historybowl dot com
I should know within a week or two if the position will in fact be on offer (it depends on a number of external factors), but if it is, it will need to be filled as soon as possible.
Thus, if you're interested, don't hesitate to contact me as soon as you read this. This is a job that will be a ton of work, and hopefully a ton of fun. Opportunities like this in academic competition do not come along frequently, so I hope this can generate a little excitement and some interest throughout the quiz bowl community.
Hope to hear from you soon, if you're the sort of applicant I'm looking for!
Cheers,
David
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Potential Full Time Job Offer in Quiz Bowl

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am

For those of you who follow the high school sections on the board but not the college sections, I would encourage you to read the discussion of this event in the thread at - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10467 and if you are in Dave Madden's target audience of high school players and coaches, please speak up if you would like him to make the event more pyramidal.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White