CSI V (11/13/10) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kamikaze
Rikku

CSI V (11/13/10) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by kamikaze »

I am happy to announce our 5th annual Cave Spring Invitational (CSI) will take place at Cave Spring High School in scenic southwest Virginia. We've scheduled our tournament for November 13, 2010 as it was the only fall date the school would be available for on the weekends.

The format of the untimed matches will be in three rounds:
Round 1: Lightning Round - short questions, usually one or two sentence clues
Round 2: Category Round - a directed round with bouncebacks
Round 3: Pyramid Round - tossups with non-related bonuses (similar to NAQT style but no powers)

* NEW FOR THIS YEAR - Well, in order to get quizbowl really going in Southwest VA, as well as promote our tournament, we're offering a 50% discount on registration of your first team, if this is the first time your team has come to our tournament. The discount can be claimed at any time before the last day of registration and not needed to be done before early registration. Any coaches interested in seeing if they qualify for this or have any questions about the promotion should contact me.
* They are in-house questions, written by current and former member of the team. Some notable alumnae will be constructing packets and/or editing them (Emma Berry, Kathryn Lawryszek).
* We're giving out hardware for the top three teams, as well as individual awards. Usually the top four individuals receive trophies and five through ten receive medals. All individuals will receive additional goodies. A special award goes to the individual with the most negs.
* Still doing the audio and visual questions. With purchase of a question set, you get to keep the CD used for the audio clues and the hard copy of the visual clues.
* The Coaches Challenge is also back! Any coach/chaperone/reader not affiliated with Cave Spring HS is eligible to play. Top winners will receive trophies AND gift certificates to some wonderful national chain store. The format will be similar to last year, where all contestants do a 20-25 question worksheet at the time of registration. The highest qualifying scores will compete in a short buzzer match after lunch and before playoff announcements.
* For those of you who may be traveling quite the distance and require overnight accommodations, we will try to arrange some sort of discount with a local hotel. More information on that when we talk to their representatives.

Costs: $60 for the first team from each school
$40 for each subsequent team (no limit)
$15 for a hard copy, $10 for an electronic copy (regardless of which copy, you will receive a CD with the music used at the tourney)
-$10 for each working buzzer system
-$5 for early registration (please send in registration by October 13)

Blacksburg (2 teams)
Carlisle School
Christiansburg
E. C. Glass
Eastern Montgomery
Dominate the Antipope
Heritage (2 teams)
Honaker (2 teams)
New Kent (2 teams)
Roanoke Valley Governor's School (2 teams)
Salem (3 teams)

Expressed Interest:
Rappahannock County

We will be taking registrations up until November 10th, at which time we'll officially close the field. If you have any questions about the tournament, hotel, travel or anything else related to the CSI, please feel free to contact me at csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com. Our team and I look forward to seeing you. Thanks!
Last edited by kamikaze on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
rchschem
Yuna

Re: CSI V (11/13/10) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by rchschem »

What a bummer we're holding ours on the 13th, also. I'd like to defend my coaches' title as well as competing in the Guitar Hero tournament. I've been practicing.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Teams should come to this because Bob Powers runs a really, really good tournament every year, the format is fun, and the questions are challenging, but accessible. I'm trying to get Rapp to come even though there is a new travel restriction on quizbowl trips.
:grin:
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

rchschem wrote:What a bummer we're holding ours on the 13th, also. I'd like to defend my coaches' title as well as competing in the Guitar Hero tournament. I've been practicing.
Yeah, sorry about that. We really do enjoy going to your tournament as well but unfortunately, this was the only practical date we could get for the CSI. I hate to miss out on the fun down there but rest assured, I'm sure you'll be able to come back next year to go after the title once again. We're also keeping an eye out for your RTO as well.
pretzeldude92 wrote:Teams should come to this because Bob Powers runs a really, really good tournament every year, the format is fun, and the questions are challenging, but accessible. I'm trying to get Rapp to come even though there is a new travel restriction on quizbowl trips.
Thanks for the plug! What travel restrictions do they have in place this year?
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Today is the last day to qualify for early registration. If you want to claim it, just send me an e-mail some time today.

We're also working on a discounted hotel rate with a nearby place. I'll post that when we got it worked out. Thanks.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Last day to register is tomorrow although it looks as if we got all the usual suspects and then some. An informational e-mail will be going out soon detailing what you need to know for Saturday. Basically show up between 8 and 8:45, meeting is at 9, and first round will start shortly thereafter. Looks like five rounds of prelim right now with three divisions of six (if it stays at 18).

Early arrivals have an opportunity to participate in a side academic challenge. You'll see it when you get there... it's something we're trying out for this year. Hope you kids enjoy it.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Climactic finish to the CSI V this year. Never seen a final match end so close. Christiansburg beat out Blacksburg A 225-210. Blacksburg needed the last tossup and to run the whole bonus. They got the last tossup but dropped 2 of the last 3.

I believe Salem A met New Kent A in the 3rd place match. Another close one from what I heard. It was tied going into the last tossup and New Kent pulled it out on the last question to clinch 3rd place.

Stats will be posted soon.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Final stats are posted here: http://members.cox.net/~kamikaze1/2010Stats.xls

Blacked out and no scores were due to the fact that a few teams left before the tournament was over (e.g., Salem C).
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Congrats to Christiansburg. They have long languished in the River Ridge District alongside Blacksburg, Salem, and Cave Spring, and it appears they have been steadily improving. Who was, by the way, the true identity of "Dominate the Antipope?"
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO