National History Bowl seeks host school in CO & Houston area

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

National History Bowl seeks host school in CO & Houston area

Post by Great Bustard »

Hi all,
My name is David Madden and I am the founder and director of the National History Bee and Bowl, which are two new quiz bowl competitions starting this year throughout the country. The Bee is an individual competition which is online at the intramural level and buzzer-based at the State and National levels, and the Bowl is a standard quiz bowl style event, albeit with a unique format and a focus entire on history (though with a broad definition that brings in some history of the arts, sciences, etc.) Lots more information is online at www.historybowl.com and www.historybee.com, and there will be a more formal thread going up later this week where everyone can discuss the particulars of what I'm putting together. The one caveat that I will say though is that I am in the process of reworking the practice packets and structure of the formats to make them more pyramidal- so don't be scared away by the look of things as they stand right now. The packet rework will be done by Thursday of this week, at which point in time I will formally introduce the tournaments on the boards.
In the meantime, though, I'd just like to add that I'm looking for a host school in the Denver and Houston areas to host our state-level tournaments for Colorado and Coastal Texas (we have a school lined up to host in the Dallas area which I will announce once we secure a date) which will then feed into the National Finals. If you host, you can earn up to potentially $400 or so in recruiting bonuses, and you certainly can still play in the tournament yourselves for free. At least two official NHBB staff members will come and direct the tournament, and we will also handle all logistics in advance. All you would need to do is to provide at least 25 classrooms, and give us a Saturday sometime between early January and late March that would work for you. That Saturday should avoid any preexisting tournament dates in the area though, and preferably, SAT & ACT dates too. We would run the Bee in the morning (5 prelim rounds + a 20 minute playoff) then lunch then the Bowl (5 prelim & 3 playoff rounds) in the afternoon. We would need access to the building from 7am-7pm, though we'd likely only do the tournament from about 9:00-5:30.
I'm in the process of lining up corporate sponsors for prizes and scholarships, so we'll have some cool stuff on offer for the top teams (plus this is a competition that lends itself great to mention on college applications if you do well). All teams who make the playoffs for the Bowl will also go qualify for our national finals in Washington, D.C. next Apr 15-17. I've already lined up competition space for that at Mt. Vernon, the International Spy Museum, a gilded-age mansion, the National Museum of Crime and Punishment, and some other really cool sites, plus we'll have 10 prelim games on offer and be significantly less expensive than a number of other national tournaments, so keep that in mind too.
Please feel free to post here or email me privately if you have any questions.
Thanks for your help and hope to hear back from you soon!
Best,
David Madden
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad