CBCT X (10/23/10) at UC Irvine

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

CBCT X (10/23/10) at UC Irvine

Post by cvdwightw »

This is an updated version of the original announcement, which was not posted here.

The UCI College Bowl Club is pleased to announce the return of CBCT, our annual fall high school tournament. This will be our tenth incarnation.

When and Where: This tournament will take place on Saturday, October 23 at UCI's campus. We anticipate the tournament being in Humanities Hall but will notify teams of any changes in room assignments.

Format: We will be using HSAPQ's fall invitational tournament set. The length, style, and difficulty of the questions are similar to last year's HSAPQ Tourn-9 and Tourn-10, which can be freely downloaded (along with all of HSAPQ's other sets from last year) here. We will be using ACF-style rules with 15-point powers. The major difference between these rules and rules for untimed NAQT is that players have 5 seconds to buzz in at the end of the tossup and 5 seconds to begin a response after buzzing in. Please contact me if you have any questions about HSAPQ or ACF-style rules.

We expect to have PACE affiliation, and as such the top 2 teams would qualify for the 2011 PACE NSC. Should we reach a field size of 20 teams, the top 4 teams would qualify for the 2011 PACE NSC. In the past this tournament has received PACE's Gold Certification status; should we achieve that status again, the next two teams would also qualify.

Pricing Structure:
Base Fee: $80 for the first team, $70 for subsequent teams
Per-School Discounts:
-$5 for each working buzzer
-$5 for each full-time scorekeeper (this function can be fulfilled by a coach or rotating fifth player who keeps official score in all games involving his or her team)
-$15 for each approved full-time moderator
-$5 per 100 miles traveled one-way (From your school to our school)
Minimum fee: $50 per team

New School Discount: Schools that have not attended a tournament at UCI in the past 3 years play for the minimum per-team fee.
Self-Sufficiency Discount: Schools that bring two teams, one working buzzer, and one approved moderator pay $90 total for those two teams. As this is below the per-team minimum fee, no other discounts apply towards those two teams, but additional discounts may be counted for third and subsequent teams.

Payment should be brought to the tournament and can be in cash or by personal or organizational check. Checks should be made out to "College Bowl Club at UCI." If you cannot bring payment with you to the tournament, or wish to mail a check in advance, please contact the tournament directors prior to the tournament. Failure to pay the day of the tournament, or make other arrangements prior to the tournament, may result in a late fee of $10.

The tournament directors are Kevin Nuno ([email protected]) and Dwight Wynne ([email protected]). To register, e-mail both directors with your school's name, coach (or representative) name and e-mail address, the number of teams you would like to bring, and any applicable discounts you plan to take advantage of. We have capped the tournament at 14 teams, but expect to have the room space to accommodate up to 24 teams, buzzers and moderators permitting.

This is also a reminder that this announcement, and all other tournament announcements for Southern California tournaments, are posted publicly at http://www.socalquizbowl.org/, along with a tournament calendar for the region.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: CBCT X (10/23/10) at UC Irvine

Post by cvdwightw »

This post is reserved for field and discount updates:

2 Rancho Alamitos
1 North Hollywood (1 scorekeeper, 1 buzzer?)
2 University (1 buzzer)
1-2 Rancho Bernardo (3 buzzers)
1 La Jolla (1 buzzer)
1 Patrick Henry (1 buzzer, new school discount)
2 Edison
Last edited by cvdwightw on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB will send one or two teams with three buzzers.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

Uni is probably down to two teams. Field update?
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Field updated above. We are nearing our cap of 14 teams. Registration closes on Wednesday.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I can no longer drive with a broken finger (they gave me a full arm cast) but I'll ask around at practice to see if anyone UCLA can come down if Ray is still able to drive us down from his Culver City area.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Golran wrote:if Ray is still able to drive us down from his Culver City area.
This is no longer the case, but I am fairly certain that we can handle things if the number of teams stays around where it is.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

We are definitely going to have two teams and one buzzer.
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

RB's only going to be able to bring one team. Sorry for the (very) late notice, some underclassmen who were going to come decided today to drop out.
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Results through Round [edit: 10] are posted here. It will probably be updated throughout the day because it's not like it takes me more than a few minutes to enter four scoresheets.

EDIT: Stats are complete. Rancho Bernardo went undefeated to win. North Hollywood and University A tied for second.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org