Prison Bowl IV @ Hunter HS, NYC (3/5/2011)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
lchen
Wakka

Re: Prison Bowl IV @ Hunter HS, NYC (3/5/2011)

Post by lchen »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:
lchen wrote:Sorry for the delay. Here are the (hopefully) correct stats:
Prelim Stats
Playoff Stats
Combined Stats
What's up with Scarsdale A player?
Scarsdale A decided to start using different pseudonyms each round after the first two rounds, so I just combined all of their individual stats.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Blahhunter
Lulu

Post by Blahhunter »

Speaking as an individual, I believe that the end result of the first five packets being so significantly easier than the rest was not intentional. There was an effort to save the hardest questions for the final rounds, and I think that it is fair for the finals themselves to be of higher difficulty than the first round of the day; after all, the teams in the finals should be the best teams at the entire tournament. As Charlie himself points out,
Tournaments can never ever predict their preliminary round format accurately. It is wholly possible that I could somehow end up with 18 teams at my tournament and then use 6 team prelim pools (although it is unlikely). It is also entirely possible that two teams could drop at the last minute from that scenario, forcing me to have to use 7 game prelim pools. It is also entirely possible I could end up with few enough teams to have to just run a single round robin.
. That also stands true for our tournament; as a matter of fact I believe one team dropped out on the last day. We did not know that the prelims were going to be exactly 5 rounds, and while there was a small attempt to reserve some of the easier questions for earlier in the day, the difficulty distribution was not made to match up with the number of rounds that ended up occurring. In addition, I believe that it is in fact fair if the playoffs are of a slightly higher difficulty than the prelims, though I may be being misguided. While the change in difficulty should not have resulted in such a large drop in ppb, I think that a difference of around 0.5-1 ppb would've been fair. And as Lily said before
I feel that both halves of the set could reasonably be described as "regular high school difficulty."
In addition, Scarsdale A had been told to stop changing pseudonyms, but failed to abide by their promise such that it was impossible to do stats for them. They also left during lunch after the prelims, which explains the House team being present in their place in the consolation bracket.
Zihan Zheng
Hunter College High School '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If Zihan was Scarsdale after lunch at Prison Bowl, would he be Zi-gone?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Will this set be posted soon?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

It's being used as we speak at Missouri, so it will be at least after today if not longer.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Speaking of which, this set killed it and was a really fun set to run our event on, incredible job Hunter.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Thanks! We're glad you enjoyed it. I've already sent the set to George Berry for archiving on quizbowlpackets.com.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

Ummm what exactly happened to the set? I saw it a couple days after it was released, but now it's not the HSQB packets website.
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Erogo wrote:Ummm what exactly happened to the set? I saw it a couple days after it was released, but now it's not the HSQB packets website.
Not sure what happened to it. The packet archive moved to a new server; the set must have gotten lost in the move. You can still access the Google html caches, though: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ound01.doc, etc.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Cody Voight, VCU ’14.