Copernicus's Birthday Party (GSAC mirror at Minnesota)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
eliza.grames
Wakka

Copernicus's Birthday Party (GSAC mirror at Minnesota)

Post by eliza.grames » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:12 pm

The University of Minnesota is hosting a mirror of the Governor's School Academic Competition (GSAC) on February 19, 2011 (which is Copernicus's birthday). The tournament was written by members of the Maggie Walker team. More information about GSAC can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10129&start=0&hilit=gsac

The tournament will be held in Blegen Hall on the West Bank of the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus. Blegen hall is located at 269 19th Ave S, Minneapolis 55455.

Registration begins at 8:00 AM, with games starting as close to 8:45 AM as possible. To register for the tournament, please contact me at quizbowl@umn.edu before February 15, 2011. In your email, please feel free to email me if you have any other questions as well, (eg. suggestions for food, tournament logistics, etc.)

Base fee: $40 per team
Working buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer system (no limit to the number of buzzers you can bring; only applicable to quizbowl buzzers and not knowledge bowl strips)
Qualified moderator discount: -$10 per qualified moderator provided (please email us at quizbowl@umn.edu by Feb 15, 2011 if you want to avail this discount)
New to Quizbowl discount: -$10 (If your school has only played Knowledge Bowl and never played Quizbowl, we are offering you a $10 discount; this discount is only applicable once per school.)
Travel discount: -$10 (If your school travels over 100 miles to the tournament.)

For information about parking, please consult the handy-dandy Minneapolis Campus Interactive Map provided by the UMN Parking and Transportation Services. The 19th Avenue Ramp and the 21st Avenue Ramp on the West Bank are the closest locations.

Field:
St. Paul Central (1)
Chanhassen (1)
St. Thomas Academy (1-2)
Chaska (1)
Eden Prairie (2)
Apple Valley (1)

This thread will be periodically updated with pertinent information.

EDIT: Fees have been reduced from $70 to $40 to encourage more teams to register.
EDIT: Field added
EDIT: Field updated
Last edited by eliza.grames on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:46 am, edited 10 times in total.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21

suchacardinal
Lulu

Re: Copernicus's Birthday Party (GSAC mirror at Minnesota)

Post by suchacardinal » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:00 am

I am definitely interested in attending. Whether or not I can get a team together is a different story. I'll need to get back to you on that.
James Hartnett
Saint Thomas Academy '12
University of Virginia '16

GeneVan
Lulu

Post by GeneVan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Not sure if our coach has registered yet, but I'm sure Chan will bring a minimum of one team.
Austin Wilder

Coach, Chanhassen High School
Georgia Tech 2015
Chanhassen High School 2011

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:46 pm

suchacardinal wrote:I am definitely interested in attending. Whether or not I can get a team together is a different story. I'll need to get back to you on that.
If you can't get a team together you could always play solo and get a substantial discount.
Eliza Grames

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:46 pm

GeneVan wrote:Not sure if our coach has registered yet, but I'm sure Chan will bring a minimum of one team.
Chanhassen has not yet registered; If I don't hear from your coach in the next few days I'll send a reminder email.
Eliza Grames

GeneVan
Lulu

Post by GeneVan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 am

One of our coaches will be unable to attend so we are checking with the other to see if she can come. Otherwise myself and the rest of Chan A will be coming as "rogue Chan A". If we go rogue is it typically acceptable to pay at the tournament? I feel like that is what normally happens but I guess I don't know for sure.
Austin Wilder

Georgia Tech 2015

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:30 pm

GeneVan wrote:One of our coaches will be unable to attend so we are checking with the other to see if she can come. Otherwise myself and the rest of Chan A will be coming as "rogue Chan A". If we go rogue is it typically acceptable to pay at the tournament? I feel like that is what normally happens but I guess I don't know for sure.
Your coach registered a team, so I don't think you will have to "go rogue" but if this ever is the case it is always acceptable to either pay at the tournament or request an invoice.
Eliza Grames

suchacardinal
Lulu

Post by suchacardinal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Saint Thomas will have a team, although it may just me me playing solo. Either way I will be there.
James Hartnett
Saint Thomas Academy '12

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:35 am

suchacardinal wrote:Saint Thomas will have a team, although it may just me me playing solo. Either way I will be there.
Good to know. We can figure out fees the day of the tournament if you end up playing solo. There is also the option that you can adopt a freshman from Minnesota to play on your team if you'd like.
Eliza Grames

suchacardinal
Lulu

Post by suchacardinal » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:55 pm

I talked to my team yesterday and I got a very good response. We may actually have enough people interested in going to form two teams. I'll have to get back to you with a final count.
James Hartnett
Saint Thomas Academy '12

thecrecarc
Kimahri

Post by thecrecarc » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Chaska is not going, but I'd be willing to go solo.
Xuan
Chaska High School '11

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 pm

thecrecarc wrote:Chaska is not going, but I'd be willing to go solo.
Can you confirm that you will be playing solo, for the sake of bracket creation? We haven't determined a solo fee yet, but it will likely be something along the lines of $20 because we have to pay a mirror fee per team.
Eliza Grames

thecrecarc
Kimahri

Post by thecrecarc » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

eliza.grames wrote:
thecrecarc wrote:Chaska is not going, but I'd be willing to go solo.
Can you confirm that you will be playing solo, for the sake of bracket creation? We haven't determined a solo fee yet, but it will likely be something along the lines of $20 because we have to pay a mirror fee per team.
Yes, as far as I know, at this moment no team nor member from Chaska is planning on attending besides me.
Xuan
Chaska High School '11

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

suchacardinal wrote:I talked to my team yesterday and I got a very good response. We may actually have enough people interested in going to form two teams. I'll have to get back to you with a final count.
I'll need a final count by 10 pm Friday, thanks.
Eliza Grames

suchacardinal
Lulu

Post by suchacardinal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:26 pm

I will be bringing two teams
James Hartnett
Saint Thomas Academy '12

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks to all the teams for coming to the GSAC XVIII Mirror today at Minnesota. If you have any comments or concerns about how the tournament was run, please let me know so we can work to fix these problems in the future. It is our goal to host tournaments that are enjoyable for all the players and run fairly.

Chanhassen won the tournament after playing an advantaged final against St. Paul Central; Chanhassen went undefeated all day with an average of 308.8 PPG. Max Timmons of St. Paul Central won the individual title in Prelims with 97.86 PPG, followed closely by Peter Estall of Eden Prairie A with 94.29.

Stats for the tournament can be found here: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
**It should be noted that the uploaded stats include the finals, so the individual statistics are altered.
Eliza Grames

mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 pm

This was another well run tournament by the University of Minnesota. The question set was also excellent. It was easily the best high school set I've played a year. This is kinda a minor point but I'm curious why the tournament had so few rounds. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there would have been enough packets to do a another partial round robin with the top 4 teams in 1 bracket and the bottom 4 in another. I think this still would have left the finals packets.
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016

eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:44 am

mtimmons wrote:This was another well run tournament by the University of Minnesota. The question set was also excellent. It was easily the best high school set I've played a year. This is kinda a minor point but I'm curious why the tournament had so few rounds. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there would have been enough packets to do a another partial round robin with the top 4 teams in 1 bracket and the bottom 4 in another. I think this still would have left the finals packets.
That is true - we could have split the teams into two brackets and done a round robin with the remaining three packets. We just wanted to make sure the tournament finished relatively early; as it turns out, this would not have been a problem since it finished so early, but we weren't certain. There was also some confusion as to how many teams would be playing which was only resolved last night. At our next tournament we'll do our best to try to predict this and get teams as many rounds as possible. Thanks for the feedback.
Eliza Grames

GeneVan
Lulu

Post by GeneVan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:59 pm

I thought this tournament was well run. Also, I really enjoyed this set and having a break from NAQT.
Austin Wilder

Georgia Tech 2015