Natl. History Bee & Bowl - Update & Tournament Announcements

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Natl. History Bee & Bowl - Update & Tournament Announcements

Post by Great Bustard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Greetings, all and sundry, from the National History Bee and Bowl. I would like to update everyone as to our progress and pass along some exciting developments as to how things have been going. So far, we have held six state-level tournaments, with two more running tomorrow in Ohio and California. The over 100 teams that have competed so far have been having a great time and my staff and I hope that your team will be able to join us both for one of our State tournaments, and then if you qualify, at our National Championships on April 16 and 17 in Washington, DC (see new board posts in the National Tournaments forum for all the information there).
Believe it or not, we plan on holding about 26 tournaments in the next eight weeks. Many of these have been transferred back a bit in order to still run them after the mailinghouse we had contracted with completely botched mailing out our information packets, 8000 of which were to have been sent out in November and December. They misaligned the street addresses and cities, and as a result, nothing went out, and they only fessed up to this about a week ago. Starting this Monday, though, a makeup mailing has been going out, and not surprisingly, registrations have been picking up this week. All of the information in the packets, though, (and more) is available online at http://www.historybowl.com and http://www.historybee.com.
Below is a list of tournament sites and dates. With the exception of the DC regional (see separate post) and Oklahoma dates, these are no longer subject to change, barring something really unexpected:
Sat. Feb 12, San Leandro HS, San Leandro, CA (Bay Area)
Sat. Feb 12, Ohio Stat Univ., Columbus, OH
Sat. Feb 19, Plano Senior HS, Plano, TX (near Dallas)
Sat. Feb 26, Zachary HS, Zachary, LA (near Baton Rouge)
Sat. Feb 26, Johnson Central HS, Paintsville, KY (Eastern KY)
Sat. Feb 26, Mater Lakes Academy, Hialeah, FL (near Miami)
Sat. Mar 5, Saratoga Springs HS, Saratoga Springs, NY
Sat. Mar 5, Monticello HS, Charlottesville, VA
Sat. Mar 5, Ola HS, McDonough, GA
Sat. Mar 5, The Blake School, Minneapolis, MN
Sat. Mar 5, Half Hollow Hills West HS, Dix Hills, NY (Long Island)
Sat. Mar 12, Manchester College, North Manchester, IN
Sat. Mar 12, Rock Bridge HS, Columbia, MO
Sat. Mar 19, Ridgewood HS, Ridgewood, NJ
Sat. Mar 19, Dorman HS, Roebuck, SC
Sat. Mar 19, Elizabethtown HS, Elizabethtown, PA
Sat. Mar 19, Mount Si HS, Snoqualmie, WA
Mon. Mar 21, The Nichols School, Buffalo, NY
Tues. Mar 22, Donelson Christian Academy, Nashville, TN
Wed. Mar 23, Bettendorf HS, Bettendorf, IA (Quad Cities area)
Sat. Mar 26, Dowling Catholic HS, West Des Moines, IA
Sat. Mar 26, Everett HS, Everett, MA (near Boston)
Wed. Mar 30, Skyview HS, Billings, MT
Mon. Apr. 4, St. Anselm’s Abbey School, Washington, DC
Fri. Apr. 8, Hanover HS, Hanover, NH
Sat. Apr. 9, Edmond Memorial HS, Edmond, OK
There’s a word for this and it starts with “in” and ends with “sanity.” I typically am in about ten states a week and am working about 17 hours a day, every day, on this to give as many teams as possible a chance to compete. My staff and hundreds of volunteers are also doing an incredible amount to pull this off. Still, I will make sure these tournaments run if we can even just get 6 teams from 3 schools to compete at each site; which I believe is doable for every site. You can see which teams have registered for each site or have expressed interest, by clicking on the dots on the map at http://www.historybowl.com and http://www.historybee.com. Registration itself is done online at http://www.historybowl.com/registration We can take registrations from any team up until the night before the tournament they want to compete in. The Bee is even easier – we do same day registrations at all sites; if you’re coming just for the Bee, arrive by 8:30 though, or email the tournament director in advance.
Note that sites above that are on weekdays are in the afternoons/evenings and run on a slightly abbreviated schedule with 5 rounds for the Bowl (likely 6 in DC), though the Bee will run in its entirety.
Couple of other points: we are in talks with a national television partner and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a potential corporate partner to add some exciting dimensions to this. This is really more for next year and the future. So far, this interest here has been specifically in the Bee. Obviously, your participation this year helps us make this all look viable and attractive for these partners, so if you needed another good reason to compete this year, here’s hoping this does the trick.
Also, I wanted to address the question of questions. Namely, the set we are using has undergone revision after revision after revision dating back to the fall. Jeff Hoppes, Fred Morlan, and Joe Brosch of Wilmington Charter (the latter after he had played it, of course), have all provided a tremendous amount of feedback that I have taken into account. We now have a Set A and a Set B- our Set A is actually the longer, more challenging, and somewhat more pyramidal of the two (though Set B is pyramidal as well). The set for each site is listed on its website. They will continue to get tweaked, though at this point, I’m quite happy with where the questions stand, and I need to focus my time primarily on recruiting and nationals planning. I have taken out the matching and ordering questions from Set A – they are still there in Set B, as many teams playing Set B prefer more variety. As always, I’m eager for feedback and will be adjusting accordingly. Also, I should add that the practice sets online are somewhat easier, shorter, and less pyramidal than Set B, and in particular, for Set A. I could change these more, but again, I am the dictionary definition of swamped, and really have things that are more worth my time. Just take my word that this is the case.
At Nationals, HSAPQ is going to be doing the questions for the Bowl; the Bee hasn’t been finalized, but we’re working on it. See the threads under the Nationals Forums for more.
Okay, think that’s about it for now. If you have any questions, please let me know. Finally, here’s my travel schedule for the next two weeks. If you’d like me to come by your school and talk with your team, just let me know! (I’ll be in New England, SC, GA, IN, NJ, MT, TN, greater DC and intermediate points in March)
Fri. Feb 11 – Off to Maggie Walker in 20 minutes, then to GA
Sat. Feb 12 – At Brookwood JV tournament in GA
Sun. Feb 13 – Off to Indiana, by way of NC and KY
Feb. 14 – IN
Feb. 15 – IN & IL
Feb. 16 – MN
Feb. 17 – MN
Feb. 18 – MO, then to TX
Feb. 19 – NHBB tournament in Texas
Feb. 20 – Driving to MO, by way of OK
Feb. 21 – MO
Feb. 22 - MO
Feb. 23 - TN
Feb. 24 - TN
Feb. 25 - TN
Feb. 26 – NHBB tournament in Louisiana, then off to either Iowa or South Carolina
Cheers, David
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad

Tanay
Rikku

Re: Natl. History Bee & Bowl - Update & Tournament Announcements

Post by Tanay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 pm

I played this tournament (my first since nationals) yesterday and thought it was a good one. This was generally a standard-level set with a good distribution that covered all facets of history. The questions weren't perfect, but were overall very good, and I'd recommend this tournament to anyone interested at all in the subject.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote: Sat. Feb 12, San Leandro HS, San Leandro, CA (Bay Area)
varsity stats

jv stats
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

pblessman
Tidus

Post by pblessman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Culver is attending the Indiana site (Manchester College)with at least two teams... Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio teams: Come join us! DCC has also expressed interest!
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:41 am

pblessman wrote:Culver is attending the Indiana site (Manchester College)with at least two teams... Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio teams: Come join us! DCC has also expressed interest!
Sadly, I don't think you can get many Ohio teams to come considering the past History Bowl tournament at Ohio State was run on the A set that is set to be held at the Indiana site.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 am

Supposedly there are something like 600 high schools in OH that have some form of quiz bowl (though I use the term very loosely). All, as far as I know, have history teachers which adds in another couple hundred. We had 7 schools turn out for our OH tournament, albeit many of the most active ones, but here's hoping for some additional interest in Indiana. I'm more than willing to drive 12 hours each way to run it if we can find 4 more teams to join Culver's 2. Let me know if any Great Lakes area teams have even the slightest interest- I can be flexible regarding number of rounds, playoff structure, etc. if teams prefer a slightly different format. The set at this point, is rigorous for the top teams in the country to enjoy playing it while still fun for nearly all who are interested in history (and I use that term broadly).
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad