New England Quiz Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rpirrie
Wakka

New England Quiz Bowl

Post by rpirrie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:07 am

Hi--
Please post your thoughts on New England Quiz Bowl here. I'd love to hear what people think on this topic. Notice I am not leading this one way or another--just wanna see what pops out. Thanks.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School

Great Bustard
Auron

Re: New England Quiz Bowl

Post by Great Bustard » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:38 am

Ok, I'll bite. Next Saturday in Everett, MA, the National History Bee and Bowl is holding its Massachusetts tournament. We're likely to have 16 teams in the field; more are welcome up until Friday night. It seems like the Boston area has relatively fewer tournaments than other comparable metro areas in the Northeast, so hopefully this will help jumpstart that. We're also doing a tournament up at Hanover High School in Hanover, NH on the afternoon/evening of Friday, April 8, and I hope that schools from Northern New England will turn out for that too. All the details on both of these can be found by going to www.historybowl.com and clicking on the appropriate dots on the map.
For next year, we hope to do a CT tournament for high schools at Yale, and I'd be eager to work with a RI or ME school as well, if one can be found. Also, Ed Powers and I (and hopefully a few other people) will be meeting in May to ostensibly discuss the state of NJ qb, and what can be done to help promote and advance the state of affairs there, though we may look to eventually put together more of a regional organization which could range into New England. This wouldn't be meant to supersede other state organizations, but rather a way to help promote tournaments across state lines.
Note: I spend three hours about a week ago going through the basics of quiz bowl with the Everett coach, for whom the word enthusiastic would be the mother of all understatements. She's been involved with AcDec primarily up to this point, but is incredibly eager to learn more about quiz bowl and help in building up not only her own school's nascent team (or 6 of them for the History Bowl), but also in helping to get other schools interested too. Any MA quiz bowl people reading this, please reach out to her- her name is Janine Ventola.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad

rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks for the reply--New England Folks, esp. MA, contact Janine Ventola. And good luck with History Bee and Bowl.

In the meantime, I am going to keep this going by asking a (perhaps unanswerable) question--how is QB in New England doing? My entirely subjective sense is that at least in Southern N.E. it hasn't really jelled--but I think this may be true across the board. For instance, my team (E. O. Smith) was, a couple of years back, the only team from anywhere in the region at NAQT nationals. Yes, I am asking in a "just curious" kind of way, but does anyone else have the same perception? Thanks for your input, and I am ready to be told I am wrong, right, whatever.

Bob Pirrie
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:27 pm

My immediate thoughts about New England quizbowl are that any teams which can come to BHSAT should come to BHSAT this weekend at Yale. (If Massachusetts is busy playing History Bowl, that means you, any and all teams from New York and Connecticut!) We're putting in a lot of effort writing and editing the set for what looks like very few teams at the moment, which saddens me greatly, especially given how little high school competition there is up here to go to besides, well, BHSAT. More thoughts to come on the region once that process is over, maybe.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Try my original crossword puzzles

Alison Langsdorf
Kimahri

Post by Alison Langsdorf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 am

I'm helping to coach a new team at Weston High School in MA. The team was founded in order to participate in WGBH's High School Quiz Show program, but we are interested in other opportunities to compete too. It seems as if there are some tournaments at various times, but they are not centrally coordinated. I keep checking this site for new information. We tried to organize a team for BHSAT XX, but ran into too many schedule conflicts for our students. I'm interested in getting in touch with other New England coaches to compare notes on other tournaments and formats.

Alison Langsdorf
Quiz Bowl Co-Coach
Weston High School
Weston, Massachusetts

kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm

We had our state finals over the weekend up here in Vermont, and for the third time in four years, Hanover won the title. As I understand it, they will be heading to NAQT nationals.

All in all, it was a pretty good season for us. We had three or four strong teams by local standards, a lot of extremely competitive matches at our state meet and solid turnouts at our other events. And it even looks like we're going to get one or two teams beyond our state champion competing at nationals. So, in general, I'm pretty happy.

However, I think our league still has a number of major flaws, most notably: horrible speed-check questions for states; a lack of ambition from many teams in terms of hosting tournaments or traveling to face stronger competition; and the idea that the state tournament is the be all and end all of the season (and the only available gateway to nationals).
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:56 pm

New England teams registered for the 2011 HSNCT:

Champlain Valley (VT)
South Burlington x2 (VT)
Woodstock (VT)
Hanover (NH)
E. O. Smith (CT)

We would be delighted to see teams from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maine join us in 2012.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm

How can three states with such good traditions of educational systems have such apathy towards something academic like quizbowl?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Quizbowl is almost entirely independent from the academic traditions of the schools, school districts, or states involved. Involvement and quality levels depend most heavily on the individual players and their passion for the game. There are great private schools with terrible or no teams, and then there are some run-of-the-mill public schools that have produced great players. The point is that it's not really these schools "producing" teams at all. It's players putting in the hard work and producing themselves.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19

deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm a junior at Hanover High, in New Hampshire, and the tradition of academic competition here is actually quite rich and runs pretty far back. Granite State Challenge, a quiz show produced annually by NHPTV, is now in its 28th season, and the New Hampshire Quiz Bowl League is in its 15th. Unfortunately, both of these formats feature what the wider quiz bowl community would call very low-quality questions. At HHS, we have the luxury of participating in the three NAQT tournaments that the Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl puts on every year, and that gives us some experience with pyramidal questions. The problem, as I see it, is that the NH schools involved in quiz bowl are generally unaware of organizations like NAQT, HSAPQ, and PACE. There are lots of smart kids and schools in the state, but I think they're just in the dark about "good" quiz bowl. Lebanon High attended the HSNCT last year and went 4-6 after having played just one NAQT tournament previously. Plus, they are only a run-of-the-mill team, and I don't say that just because they are our chief rival in athletics and increasingly in QB, too. Anyway, I've been in contact with Robert Hentzel about organizing an NAQT tourney in Hanover this spring. Whether or not that comes to fruition, we are definitely going to begin more actively promoting good quiz bowl up here in the Granite State. We considered attending BHSAT, but it unfortunately fell on the same date as the Scholars' Bowl finals.
Gabe Brison-Trezise
ex-Hanover High School,
Kenyon College

rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks to everyone who has commented--keep 'em coming. I will throw in my 2 cents as soon as I have time to think (our school just finished its accreditation process, so it's been a bit loopy lately). Basically I'd like to revive my idea of a year ago regarding a CT (maybe CT/RI) quiz bowl league.

Bob Pirrie
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School

kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:10 am

deserto wrote:\Anyway, I've been in contact with Robert Hentzel about organizing an NAQT tourney in Hanover this spring. Whether or not that comes to fruition, we are definitely going to begin more actively promoting good quiz bowl up here in the Granite State.
Gabe,

I can't tell you how delighted I am to hear this news. We've already got a pretty good organizational structure in place in New Hampshire and Vermont. If a few schools start stepping up and hosting events, that's a big step toward getting a viable circuit going. Here's hoping you can pull it! It's looking like CVU, South Burlington and Woodstock are headed to NCT from this side of the river, so at very least I'd assume you'd have a chance to get those teams on board. And if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Congrats one more time on winning the Vermont title. I was really impressed with how much your team improved during the course of the season, and it really showed at the finals. You guys were the only team I saw all day with all four players anticipating the questions and, in my opinion, that difference in pace decided it.

While I'm at it, results from New Hampshire Quiz Bowl League final's Sunday in Portsmouth, courtesy of league director Bill Murphy (quoting directly):
CONGRATULATIONS TO PHILLIPS EXETER ACADEMY FOR WINNING THE 2010-2011 NEW HAMPSHIRE QUIZ BOWL LEAGUE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was an intense day of academic competition at Portsmouth Christian on Sunday that saw no team emerge unscathed, but Phillips Exeter was able to take home the championship banner with a 6-1 record. There were many very close matches that left coaches, if not students, squirming in their seats. Every school won something and the final standings are as follows:

Phillips Exeter 6 - 1
Portsmouth Christian 5 - 2
Hanover 5 - 2
Bishop Brady 4 - 3
Oyster River 3 - 4
Kingswood 2 - 5
Lisbon 2 - 5
Londonderry 1 - 6

I'd like to extend a special thanks to Donna Capern and the students at Portsmouth Christian for hosting the state tournament. It was a beautiful day in a beautiful setting.
I wasn't there for the finals but I know Bill was really happy with an increased turnout for him league this year. And it looks like things were extremely competitive, too.
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl

deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto » Sun May 01, 2011 10:33 am

deserto wrote:Anyway, I've been in contact with Robert Hentzel about organizing an NAQT tourney in Hanover this spring.
And voila: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11483
Gabe Brison-Trezise
ex-Hanover High School,
Kenyon College

High School Quiz Show
Kimahri

Post by High School Quiz Show » Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a production assistant at WGBH in Boston's High School Quiz Show and a former participant in a quiz bowl league on the North Shore of Massachusetts as part of the St. John's Prep team. I for one know that the league is actually thriving rather well, with even connections to a national competition that we went to twice while I was competing in high school. I'm not sure how my teacher contacted the company for the national tournament, I just know that we went to one every year. The North Shore league was comprised of St. John's Prep, Hamilton-Wenham, Danvers, Salem and another school I can't quite remember. Anyhow, that is all I still know of quiz bowl on the North Shore, besides the fact that it is still going strong, at least at my alma mater.

In addition, WGBH's High School Quiz Show is entering its third season and we have created a Facebook game to go along with the show. It's a rather addicting game to play and good practice for your students. Here's the link: http://apps.facebook.com/hsquizshow! Have fun! And if any Massachusetts teams are interested in trying out for the show, information can be found at wgbh.org/quizshow.

rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:49 pm

And if any Massachusetts teams are interested in trying out for the show, information can be found at wgbh.org/quizshow.[/quote]

Any plans to expand into CT in the future?

Bob Pirrie
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School

High School Quiz Show
Kimahri

Post by High School Quiz Show » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi Bob,

We are currently looking into expanding to other states, and we are definitely interested in the possibility, but we just don't know what that would look like yet. We are currently in the process of getting feedback, so if you have any, let me know!

Thanks,
Nick, High School Quiz Show Intern