Interest check: Chicagoland tournament, 4/30 or 5/21

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

Interest check: Chicagoland tournament, 4/30 or 5/21

Post by jonah »

To what extent would people be interested in playing a tournament at Loyola Academy (or perhaps another north Chicagoland site) on April 30 or May 21? This would be sort of a spiritual successor to last year's QUALM-FREE, and we would use the GREYSON set or, if the May 21 date is selected, the set is available, and people would prefer it, the Maryland Spring set.

If you are potentially interested, please post here or otherwise let me know. If you have a date preference or set preference, please so indicate.

I cannot yet promise that this tournament will happen even if there is sufficient interest — room reservations and the like — but I'd sure like it to.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
bcarbery
Lulu

Re: Interest check: Chicagoland tournament, 4/30 or 5/21

Post by bcarbery »

Could someone mirror a trash tournament or a hybrid tournament like BLASTOISE? I'd definitely be interested in playing that and is there a chance of trash4strophe happening? Either date works for me.
Ben Carbery
Oak Park 2011
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

bcarbery wrote:Could someone mirror a trash tournament or a hybrid tournament like BLASTOISE? I'd definitely be interested in playing that and is there a chance of trash4strophe happening? Either date works for me.
I could staff or play a trash tournament on either day.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

bcarbery wrote:Could someone mirror a trash tournament or a hybrid tournament like BLASTOISE? I'd definitely be interested in playing that and is there a chance of trash4strophe happening? Either date works for me.
If the physical host is okay with it and someone else takes the logistical reins, that's fine, but it would be a side event as far as I'm concerned, and I probably wouldn't stick around.
Jonah Greenthal
bcarbery
Lulu

Post by bcarbery »

I think it would be easier if the academic event were the side event because it would be much easier for those who want to only play trash. Side event start times are hard to pin down and it can be really inconvenient if there's a decent driving distance. Would UMD be ok with their set being a side event?
Ben Carbery
Oak Park 2011
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

No.
Jonah Greenthal
drose4prez
Lulu

Post by drose4prez »

Just out of curiosity, what would this tournament's policy be in terms of intentionally hosing its participants?
Kevin
SHS '11
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

drose4prez wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would this tournament's policy be in terms of intentionally hosing its participants?
The real question is whether the editors of BLASTOISE or whatever trash set this tournament would be using would be ok with having their set edited without permission.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Dan-Don wrote:
drose4prez wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would this tournament's policy be in terms of intentionally hosing its participants?
The real question is whether the editors of BLASTOISE or whatever trash set this tournament would be using would be ok with having their set edited without permission.
I'm only going to say this once. We had the express permission of the set's editors to edit that set as needed. Accusations to the contrary are not factually based, and should be directed to Brad or me, rather than to Jonah, who had very little influence on the final edits.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

If people wanted to run some sort of guerilla trash event, I might be able to contribute a packet and provide some nominal double-answer-line checking as I wont be playing.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

It's still unclear whether rooms are available at Loyola on 5/21 for a regular academic tournament, but it is certain that rooms will not be available late enough to run a side event (trash or otherwise). 4/30 will not be a possibility.
Jonah Greenthal