BHSAT XX Mirror at Minnesota 4/23

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
eliza.grames
Wakka

BHSAT XX Mirror at Minnesota 4/23

Post by eliza.grames »

The University of Minnesota will be hosting a mirror of Yale's BHSAT XX on April 23, 2011. The set is edited by Matt Jackson of Yale, and is said to be "suitable for teams preparing for national tournaments later on in the year or for those seeking a moderately challenging tournament." But, with that said, it is also "written with average high school teams in mind."

EDIT: This tournament will now be run with two divisions - one for more experienced players and another for those who are new to quizbowl or would prefer to play in a less competitive division. This is contingent on getting at least four teams in each division.

EDIT: Teams will be divided into divisions depending on how many teams ultimately sign up.

To register for the tournament, please contact me at [email protected] before April 21, 2011. In your email, please feel free to email me if you have any other questions as well, (eg. suggestions for food, tournament logistics, etc.)

The tournament will be held in Blegen Hall on the West Bank of the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus. Blegen hall is located at 269 19th Ave S, Minneapolis 55455. Registration begins at 8:15 AM, with games starting as close to 9:00 AM as possible. The meeting room is tentatively 205; if this changes, I will update this immediately.

Base fee: $50 per team
Working buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer system (no limit to the number of buzzers you can bring; only applicable to quizbowl buzzers and not knowledge bowl strips)
Qualified moderator discount: -$10 per qualified moderator provided (please email me at [email protected] by April 15, 2011 if you want to avail this discount)
New to Quizbowl discount: -$10 (If your school has only played Knowledge Bowl and never played Quizbowl; this discount is only applicable once per school.)
Travel discount: -$10 (If your school travels over 100 miles to the tournament.)
Other discounts will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Email me if you have any questions about this.

For information about parking, please consult the Minneapolis Campus Interactive Map provided by the UMN Parking and Transportation Services. The 19th Avenue Ramp and the 21st Avenue Ramp on the West Bank are the closest locations.

Field:
St. Paul Central (1)
Eden Prairie (1-2)
Glencoe-Silver Lake (2)
Minneapolis South (2)

This thread will be periodically updated with pertinent information.
Last edited by eliza.grames on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
mtimmons
Wakka

Re: BHSAT XX Mirror at Minnesota 4/16

Post by mtimmons »

Although I imagine Central will come to this regardless this is the same day as the NAQT Minnesota State Championship.
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016
eliza.grames
Wakka

Re: BHSAT XX Mirror at Minnesota 4/16

Post by eliza.grames »

mtimmons wrote:Although I imagine Central will come to this regardless this is the same day as the NAQT Minnesota State Championship.
Thanks for bringing the conflict to my knowledge - I had forgotten to check the date against other area tournaments. This tournament will now be on April 23, so as to avoid running up against NAQT.
Eliza Grames
mtimmons
Wakka

Re: BHSAT XX Mirror at Minnesota 4/23

Post by mtimmons »

Would it be ok if a team of UMTYMP/PSEO people played this?
Max Timmons
MIT 2016
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

mtimmons wrote:Would it be ok if a team of UMTYMP/PSEO people played this?
I don't see a problem with that. We currently have two Knowledge Bowl teams signed up, so it'll be a bit of a variety already.
Eliza Grames
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

Assuming that more teams sign up, I anticipate playing this. I'll try and get more definite information in the next couple of days.
Max Timmons
MIT 2016
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

mtimmons wrote:Assuming that more teams sign up, I anticipate playing this. I'll try and get more definite information in the next couple of days.
Apple Valley will likely send at least one team (they are letting me know for sure by tomorrow) and Minneapolis South has expressed interest. I haven't heard anything from St. Thomas Academy, Chanhassen, Chaska, or Eden Prairie but hope to within the next few days.
Eliza Grames
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

Congratulations to St. Paul Central for winning the tournament after going 8-0 all day. Eden Prairie finished in second with a record of 6-2. The top individual was Max Timmons from St. Paul Central with an impressive 131.88 PPG. Han Li from Eden Prairie came in second with 43.75 PPG despite his 22 negs, which put him well ahead of the second place for neg prize which went to Pranay Rao with 6 negs. Third place went to Isaac Specktor of Minneapolis South with 32.14 PPG. We were pleased to have Glencoe-Silver Lake High School's Knowledge Bowl team come to play Quizbowl for the first time ever, and Ryan Schuth from GSLHS took seventh place individually with 18.75 PPG.

Full stats can be found here
Eliza Grames
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

So this tournament was pretty good. The questions were excellent and not particularly difficult. In fact, I would say the questions were considerably easier than an IS set. But that was perfectly fine considering the field. At least in Central's games, the questions rarely went dead or triggered buzzer races. The tournament also ran extremely smoothly as usual at University of Minnesota tournament going through 10 rounds in about 6 hours. The only part of the tournament I didn't enjoy was the lack of competitive games although that's not at Minnesota's faults.
Max Timmons
MIT 2016