Results: 2011 NJ NAQT State Championship on 4/2

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Results: 2011 NJ NAQT State Championship on 4/2

Post by Youse Da Force »

A big congratulations goes out to Seton Hall Prep, who won the state championship this afternoon, defeating St. Joseph's 365-270, despite a 120 point comeback attempt that gave St. Joe's at 10 point lead with 5 questions left. Kellenberg came in 3rd place over East Brunswick A, 355-160. A shout out also goes to Grace Liu of High Tech A, who put up 97.5 ppg, including a stunning 7-8-1 in the first round. She was closely followed by Bobby Gaffey of MAST A, with 94.17ppg and Jimmy McGlons of Seton Hall, 82.5ppg.

Thank you, everyone who came, especially those coaches who helped staff today. Despite losing my laptop for a few hours to water damage, we didn't have any significant delays, something due in great part to my staff.

28 teams attended. We played in four brackets of seven team round robin, followed by two four team round robin playoff-groups, consisting of the top 2 teams from each bracket.

I've included links below to our prelims and playoff results. All the prelims are here, and all playoff games, except one game in the tenth round, between Bergen A and East Brunswick B, which did not decide any results. I'll have that updated once Bergen sends me their copy of the stats later tonight.

http://results.scobo.net/PUCB/njstate11playoff
http://results.scobo.net/PUCB/njstates11prelim

And remember, these questions may still be used somewhere later, so no discussion of content etc. If you're uncertain, don't say it.
Dan Humphrey
Princeton University (2008- ) Tournament Director, President Emeritus
Garfield Heights High School (2004-2008)
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: Results: 2011 NJ NAQT State Championship on 4/2

Post by Edward Powers »

Congratulations to Seton Hall Prep for its outstanding performance and its usual class. Thanks also to Dan Humphrey and all his staff at Princeton for an excellent day of competition.

I have only one issue: the stats for preliminaries and for individuals are badly skewed and team details and individual details cannot be accessed. Hopefully these can be corrected and relevant details can be accessed so the full scope of competitions that occurred today can be seen by all who are interested.

Thanks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

I've corrected the prelim rounds, added that playoff game I mentioned, and also added in the final round games. Note that now the final rankings are skewed, as I cannot stop SQBS from displaying the overall record (at least, as far as I know I can't.)

It should all be correct now.
Dan Humphrey
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Dan,

Thanks for your swift correction of the stats, and thanks again for a very well run tournament and an enjoyable day on your beautiful campus.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

Before I begin, I want to note that this is my first post on the forums (though I've been a regular forum stalker for a good while), so if I commit any egregious faux pas, please let me know.

I'm Grace, a player from High Tech A. Based on the playoff results, it seems that High Tech would have qualified for semifinals over East Brunswick. We left early on the assumption that we'd lost our playoff bracket. Did we just skip out on our semifinal slot?

(i.e. Were we really as ludicrously dumb as I am beginning to suspect?)
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Congrats to Seton Hall on their state title, which is as far as I can see their first NAQT state title in a decade (and I remember that last one!). It must have been a heck of a match. You guys appear to be the most likely standard-bearer for our region at HSNCT.
Full credit to St. Joseph on their great performance to that point, from averaging 500 points in the prelims to breaking my heart with a fantastic comeback in their first playoff game, where they came back from down 95 with three tossups left to beat Bergen in overtime. We'll get you next time, Gadget, next time! I thought they were the favorite to win a third straight title, but with most of their team being juniors, looks like they'll still be a team to content with in 2011-12.
It was good to get to see all the old and the new faces, including our "guests" from Kellenberg. I personally haven't been able to make it to many tournaments; I think this is just my second standard quiz bowl trip of the season, after Penn.

Dan and the rest of the Princeton crew did a great job running the tournament. It's almost the highest compliment one can pay a tournament these days to say that it ended on time (at least I presume it did, since there was only one round left when we headed out).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Dishonor wrote:Before I begin, I want to note that this is my first post on the forums (though I've been a regular forum stalker for a good while), so if I commit any egregious faux pas, please let me know.

I'm Grace, a player from High Tech A. Based on the playoff results, it seems that High Tech would have qualified for semifinals over East Brunswick. We left early on the assumption that we'd lost our playoff bracket. Did we just skip out on our semifinal slot?

The posted stats reflect the loss by East Brunswick, which skews things.
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Dishonor wrote:Before I begin, I want to note that this is my first post on the forums (though I've been a regular forum stalker for a good while), so if I commit any egregious faux pas, please let me know.

I did wonder about that, but I believe the matchups were based first on win-loss and then on bonus conversion. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Grace Liu
Yale University '16
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Dishonor wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:

I did wonder about that, but I believe the matchups were based first on win-loss and then on bonus conversion. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Yes, the seeding was based on head-to-head, then bonus conversion. After rounds 8-10, you, EB, and Millburn were in a circle of death at 1-2. They must have had a higher PPB at that time, which then dropped slightly after losing to Kellenberg. The PPBs of all three teams are still very close, within 1 point of each other.

EB's current 1-3 status reflects that final loss to Kellenberg.
Dan Humphrey
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Indeed, looking at the Team Detail page, I see that over the first three rounds of the playoffs, East Brunswick had 220/9, 120/7, and 70/6 for a total of 410 points on 22 bonuses, an average of 18.64 which just edges out High Tech's 18.00 and Millburn's 17.08.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you very much.
Grace Liu
Yale University '16