Ride to HSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
crimsonscholar
Lulu

Ride to HSNCT

Post by crimsonscholar »

I suppose this is the right place to bring this up, but I am a student at the University of Alabama and I intend to help out at HSNCT this year. My situation is that I live in Tuscaloosa, down the road from the airport in Birmingham, where I would probably fly out to go to Atlanta. But since it is so close, compared to Chicago, I was going to ask if anyone would be willing to give me a ride to HSNCT in Atlanta, so I would not have to, unless obviously necessary, to take a short flight over to Atlanta.
Jonathan Thompson
University of Alabama '08 and '15

Quiz bowling.
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: Ride to HSNCT

Post by Great Bustard »

I hereby volunteer my Chevy Cobalt to drive up to 3 people down from the northeast to Atlanta, though I'd look to leave Wednesday or Thursday morning around 10am out of NJ in all likelihood. Potentially Friday, depending on whether NAQT needs my volunteer help on Thursday and Friday during the day. As for Tuscaloosa, if it's how my time is best spent, I'd drive over and offer you a ride, though that would mean that I'd have to drive down on Wednesday or Thursday for sure. Bottom line: I can devote Wed-Fri of Memorial Day weekend to being a shuttle service or whatever else NAQT wants. I can work up to 16 hour days - after the last ten months, that's going to feel like a walk in the park. Jeff or whoever - send me an email or PM with further marching/driving orders.
On a separate note - is NAQT looking for additional staffers for HSNCT? Does NAQT have a policy regarding high schoolers whose teams are not playing in the tournament work as staffers? Same two questions for NSC, too, though my ability to volunteer in advance there is a function of the birding schedule that Jeff and I have set en route from Atlanta to Chicago that week, so it's probably considerably more limited, except for the afternoon/evening before NSC begins.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:Jeff or whoever - send me an email or PM with further marching/driving orders.
Will do.
nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:is NAQT looking for additional staffers for HSNCT? Does NAQT have a policy regarding high schoolers whose teams are not playing in the tournament work as staffers?
1. Maybe, depending on further drops or whatnot. People interested in staffing HSNCT should email Joel (jgluskinnaqt at gmail).

2. High schoolers are welcome to staff (whether or not their teams are playing. If the card system sends a team to a room where the moderator is one of their teammates, it's easy to switch off with a nearby room.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Hey JT check and see how much Amtrack is from Tuscaloosa to ATL. we are coming out of Anniston on the train and it will only cost a small amount I think less that 50 per rider..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team