PSAT/NMSQT Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

PSAT/NMSQT Discussion

Post by Kouign Amann » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:24 am

With the completion of the Post-ATROPHY Singles, all mirrors of the PSAT/NMSQT set are done. This is the thread for discussing the set.

I'd like to begin by saying that I am enormously indebted to a good number of people for their help in getting this set together. The folks at Torrey Pines, despite their relative inexperience and unfamiliarity with writing, churned out a huge number of questions in a very short amount of time. All that was left was for me to edit them. Unfortunately, I did not do as good a job of this as I had hoped, so I'm exceedingly grateful to Tanay and Nikhil for stepping in to save my ass on that front. They edited a lot of questions to which I would not have been able to get around. As things approached the endgame, Saajid's proofreading and editorial suggestions greatly improved this set's quality. My thanks go out to all of these people, and to anyone else I'm forgetting - I only wish that I had joined up with everyone earlier, instead of banging my head against the wall in trying to write and edit this whole thing myself.

As for the set proper, I feel pretty meh about it. Obviously, I'm happy it got done and was enjoyed by many, but I feel it could have been much better. One of the main problems, in my estimation, was the difference in difficulty between tossups and bonuses. I wrote most of the TUs, while Torrey Pines wrote most of the bonuses, and I think we were headed in slightly different directions. From the conversion stats, it is apparent that most teams did not find the bonuses very challenging, even in the third part. On the other hand, reports indicate that the beginnings of tossups that I wrote were much deeper. In effect, this may have led to some games being decided on something approaching tossup strength alone. I apologize for this. As editor, I should have produced a more unified set. The reason, but not excuse, for this phenomenon may be that this was the first major writing project with which I have been involved. During the construction of this set, I was learning how to write properly as I went along. Consequently, I feel that my later work on this set was much better than my earlier work. I would have liked to have gone back and improved the earlier questions, but my time mismanagement made that impossible.

Please discuss away. I have sent George the set, so I hope that it will be available to all quite soon.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19

Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: PSAT/NMSQT Discussion

Post by Kouign Amann » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:31 pm

The set.
Thanks, George.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19

sir negsalot
Wakka

Re: PSAT/NMSQT Discussion

Post by sir negsalot » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:57 pm

I'ma let you finish, but this was one of the best housewrites of all time.
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016