NY/NJ Date Claims 2011-2012

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: NY/NJ Date Claims 2011-2012

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Due to room-booking issues, Yale is currently hosting the 2011 incarnation of FAcT on Saturday, October 22nd. We are aware of the date conflict with LIFT and would really appreciate it if someone from Kellenberg could contact [email protected] ASAP, to see if we can work something out.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Here are some other things that took place last year and would go on the calendar, but haven't had a date announcement yet, in roughly chronological order:

SH Prep (September)
Princeton (October)
Penn (November)
HHH West (January)
NJ Regional Science Bowl (February)
Livingston (March)

Also, National Science Bowl is April 26-30, so that's the same weekend as National History Bowl.

ETA: Oh yeah, and STATES (April, site TBD)
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Hills West already has a date. Everything else, however, does not.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jon,

I seem to recall a BCA hosted tournament called Samhain last October as well. No chance for a reprieve of sorts?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Kellenberg took its traditional late October date, Princeton is likely to take an early October date, and Hunter snatched up the weekend we used last year for their fall tournament. If we were to hold a fall high school tournament, it would've been in December, but since it appears we're running a middle school event in the fall, for our own selfish reasons December is too late and we're holding it in October instead. We've decided it wouldn't be reasonable for us to try to hold three tournaments.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

To help schools that might be thinking about hosting a tournament in February, could schools in the region post here if you know that your Winter Break will differ from the traditional Presidents Day week, that is, the two weekends and intervening weekdays spanning from Saturday February 18th to Sunday February 26th.

Edit: For concision.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

Bloomfield's BATE has been scheduled for March 3rd according to NAQT's site.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

PHSAT at Princeton has apparently been scheduled for October 8.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Atlanto-occipital joint wrote:PHSAT at Princeton has apparently been scheduled for October 8.
I realize the argument for not scheduling around SAT/PSAT dates, but putting a tournament on the single biggest day in the Jewish calendar in a region with a pretty high percentage of Jewish students is not a great idea.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Grace,

What is the source of your information concerning the PHSAT being held on October 8th?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
gstoye
Lulu

Post by gstoye »

Ed...

I sent an email to Jamie Ding who is running the Princeton tournament this fall and his reply on Sept. 7 was that they were planning to use an NAQT set and make an announcement soon.
Gene Stoye
Academic Team Advisor
MAST Sandy Hook NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I would hope so (the "make an announcement soon" part). It'll be a tight fit for me to get the paperwork in to my school for this trip. I'd tried emailing Dan Humphries and the cbowl@princeton address over the summer and never heard anything back, so I told my kids that it didn't look like Princeton was happening this year.
Jon Pinyan

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Dave Madden just informed me that the NHBB State Championships on an A Set will be held at Princeton University on February 25th, and he also tentatively informed me that Princeton's annual PHSAT will most likely be held on October 8th, but this is not yet absolutely confirmed.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Princeton is definitely hosting PHSAT on Oct 8. It's either that or conflict with the PSAT. Expect a formal detailed announcement within the hour.
Dan Humphrey
Princeton University (2008- ) Tournament Director, President Emeritus
Garfield Heights High School (2004-2008)
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

9/26 Edit: - Date now 3/17 not 3/10
NHBB's Long Island tournament will be at Half Hollow Hills on Saturday, March 17. We are planning on using our B set here. There will also almost certainly be an NHBB tournament at Yale (details getting finalized) on our C set, as well as a C set tournament on a Sunday at some point in Feb. or March which we hope might draw some Jewish schools who would never play Saturday tournaments (though of course, all will be welcome). CT and NYC dates will be posted here when finalized.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

What do people think about April 14th as a date for NJ States? Princeton is going to submit a bid, and we'd like to consult teams on the date, first.
Dan Humphrey
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

After discussion with Matt Jackson at Yale, we've agreed that Yale will hold their BHSAT on March 24, and Bergen will attempt to hold BOAT on March 31 (this date is still pending admin approval).

April 14 sounds like as good a day as any for States. It's a week after Easter, so we will be on the back end of spring break, as I imagine a couple schools will, but there really aren't that many other dates available.
Jon Pinyan

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

All those dates sound good to me. I may/may not be able to get there myself, but someone will be able to take Ridgewood, no doubt.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

April 14th for the NJ NAQT State Championships seems fine with me. As Jon stated, it is at the end of the Easter/Spring break for many and it is currently an open date, so I can and will tentatively place it on the calendar for now, but change it if it becomes clear that another date is preferable. The benefit to this of course is that at least NAQT States will have some date claim that is currently open, while it can be erased if that date lacks support in the long run.

I have also changed the current calendar, moving BHSAT firmly to March 24th and BOAT IV tentatively to March 31st. I have also placed the Connecticut NHBB States on the calendar for February 11th at Yale University, since it is on a 'C' Set and Matt Jackson has invited one & all, so I imagine it is open to teams outside of Connecticut. If I am wrong about this latter notion, I will remove it from the NY/NJ calendar, but until instructed otherwise by anyone officially from NHBB or from Yale that it is limited to Connecticut teams only, I will leave it there in case NY or NJ teams would like to go.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

Edward Powers wrote:I have also placed the Connecticut NHBB States on the calendar for February 11th at Yale University, since it is on a 'C' Set and Matt Jackson has invited one & all, so I imagine it is open to teams outside of Connecticut. If I am wrong about this latter notion, I will remove it from the NY/NJ calendar, but until instructed otherwise by anyone officially from NHBB or from Yale that it is limited to Connecticut teams only, I will leave it there in case NY or NJ teams would like to go.
This tournament is indeed open to any team that will not have already played the C set at another site.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Excelsior (smack) wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:I have also placed the Connecticut NHBB States on the calendar for February 11th at Yale University, since it is on a 'C' Set and Matt Jackson has invited one & all, so I imagine it is open to teams outside of Connecticut. If I am wrong about this latter notion, I will remove it from the NY/NJ calendar, but until instructed otherwise by anyone officially from NHBB or from Yale that it is limited to Connecticut teams only, I will leave it there in case NY or NJ teams would like to go.
This tournament is indeed open to any team that will not have already played the C set at another site.
Despite this, we do have limited space, and one of our key goals is to bring as many Connecticut schools into academic competitions as possible, so we'll figure out how best to strike that balance as the date nears. Keep in mind also that this is the C-set (the easiest that NHBB uses) and may be inappropriate for especially experienced players and teams.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

You make good points, Matt. So, I will pull it from the NY/NJ schedule for now, giving Connecticut teams time to sign up first. If by early to mid-January or so you still have space for non-Connecticut teams, perhaps you can indicate this on this site, at which point I will place it back on the NY/NJ schedule in the hope that you can attract the complement of teams you hope for. But I think you are wise to point out that Connecticut teams should have ample opportunity to fill your field first, so for now I will remove it from our local calendar.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

For those who care, our CT tournament will have a designated recruiter, like all NHBB events this year, so expect a bunch new schools to come in who have never done qb of any sort before. That said, all teams from all schools are always welcome at all NHBB events, provided they haven't played the set. We will have the C set in action on a Sunday in Manhattan at some point in Feb. or March too - in an attempt to try and get some Jewish schools to compete (though of course, anyone who wants to come and play is welcome).
David Madden
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'll know for sure in two weeks or so, but Ardsley is tentatively planning a tournament for March 31st (most likely a mirror of LIFT). It'd be great if we could work this out with Bergen so we don't conflict with BOAT--unfortunately, March 31st seems like it's the only date that will work for us.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

PANTHERS, our LIST II mirror, is now planned for March 10th.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Rikku

We at Stony Brook University are currently planning to host an NAQT state tournament for Long Island in February or early March, pending approval from higher-ups.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Production of Watchmen wrote:We at Stony Brook University are currently planning to host an NAQT state tournament for Long Island in February or early March, pending approval from higher-ups.
Just checking, would this be a Southern NY state tournament, or just a LI tournament?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Rikku

We'd be happy to have other teams from lower NY, but we'll be mainly focusing on reaching out to Long Island teams that have done well in RQB and The Challenge but haven't played "the real deal".
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Production of Watchmen wrote:We'd be happy to have other teams from lower NY, but we'll be mainly focusing on reaching out to Long Island teams that have done well in RQB and The Challenge but haven't played "the real deal".
Ok, cool.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Dripping Springs State Park wrote:PANTHERS, our LIST II mirror, is now planned for March 10th.
Unfortunately, this will not be happening due to logistical difficulties.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

NJ States 2012 has been confirmed to be at Princeton on April 14, as already on the calendar.
Dan Humphrey
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Bergen Academies is officially announcing our two tournaments:
The middle school tournament, BAJAC, previously scheduled for October 30, is re-scheduled for Sunday, January 29, 2012. We're still using MS-02.
The high school tournament, BOAT 4, is officially scheduled for Saturday, March 31, 2012. Since Ardsley's LIST mirror was cancelled, we will be using the LIST set.
Jon Pinyan

anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

Wissahickon is planning to host a tournament sometime late winter/early spring, which will also be our team's (Andrew, Nate, and I) graduation project. Right now, we're going for March 24, but this date isn't set in stone; if more teams could come on February 18 or 25, then those dates would also work with the school (so, if any teams out there are reading this and considering attending, it would be nice if you could send me a message so we can gauge interest). I'll make a thread in the announcements forum once we've confirmed the date and reserved rooms.

As for the set, we were originally planning on writing our own, but this is only our team's second year of existence and we've realized how difficult it is to write, edit, and test questions :razz: . We would like to mirror another housewrite or a vendor set, but then our ~100 questions we've written so far would go to waste. So, the best outcome for us would be if another team creating a housewrite could incorporate our questions in some way. This could be a collaboration, and we could write half a tournament, or it could just be a "we give you our questions and you can pick ones you want to use". I'm pretty inexperienced with how this usually works, so if anyone would like to offer more information, it would be greatly appreciated. And if it matters for anyone considering this, our tossups are 6-8 lines 11-point TNR with power marks, and bonuses are max 3 lines per part.

EDIT: Oh, and Wissahickon High School's address is 521 Houston Road, Ambler, PA. It's a suburb north of Philadelphia, located about 2 hours from northern NJ/NYC.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
Rikku

Production of Watchmen wrote:We at Stony Brook University are currently planning to host an NAQT state tournament for Long Island in February or early March, pending approval from higher-ups.
Specifically, this will be happening on February 18th if it happens. We're still waiting for confirmation.
EDIT: This is pretty much not happening, unfortunately.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

Post by huatzer shiangtsay »

Stuyvesant is getting on its feet with the administration, and it's looking like we might actually be able to host. If so, it'd probably be March 11th on NAQT #108A. However, we may be forced to have a pretty low field cap and our priority would be bringing in new high schools from within the city. I'll post again and start a thread once we get confirmation. The name would be the Stuyvesant Academic Tournament (SAT).
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

“O不OK?” (Is it alright?) is one of the most awesome sentences ever. It takes the Chinese word OK and puts it in the A-not-A question format, unabashedly treating the letter O as a verb, and the letter K as a resultative complement.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

user0001 wrote:Stuyvesant is getting on its feet with the administration, and it's looking like we might actually be able to host. If so, it'd probably be March 11th on NAQT #108A. However, we may be forced to have a pretty low field cap and our priority would be bringing in new high schools from within the city. I'll post again and start a thread once we get confirmation. The name would be the Stuyvesant Academic Tournament (SAT).
This would be awesome. Your date is a Sunday on purpose, correct?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

Dripping Springs State Park wrote:Your date is a Sunday on purpose, correct?
That is indeed correct. Partially because there didn't seem to be a convenient Saturday date, and partially because we had a few modern orthodox students that were interested at the beginning of the year, but didn't join when informed almost all tournaments are on Saturdays. We also may reach out to some Jewish schools, particularly Ramaz and the Heschel School on the Upper East Side.
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

“O不OK?” (Is it alright?) is one of the most awesome sentences ever. It takes the Chinese word OK and puts it in the A-not-A question format, unabashedly treating the letter O as a verb, and the letter K as a resultative complement.
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

user0001 wrote: our priority would be bringing in new high schools from within the city
White Plains' "WACKO" tournaments in Westchester, played on :chip: questions, actually had a couple of schools from within the city that perhaps you would want to reach out to for this tournament. If I remember correctly, there 1-2 other schools, but the only one I remember that showed up was Cardinal Spellman, which, as a Catholic School, would probably not attend, but Ryan might remember if there were other city schools there that could potentially be interested in a tournament at Stuyvesant.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Edward Powers wrote:Date Claims for 2011-2012:
March 17:NHBB's Long Island Tournament @ Hills West (on a B Set); also The JBMT at Millburn, NJ (Confirmed on NAQT Set IS 111)
This tournament will be played on NHBB's "C" set, ( see viewtopic.php?f=104&t=12463) and it may be helpful to teams if this is corrected on the schedule.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

SrgtDonow wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:Date Claims for 2011-2012:
March 17:NHBB's Long Island Tournament @ Hills West (on a B Set); also The JBMT at Millburn, NJ (Confirmed on NAQT Set IS 111)
This tournament will be played on NHBB's "C" set, ( see viewtopic.php?f=104&t=12463) and it may be helpful to teams if this is corrected on the schedule.
It has been corrected.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

Perhaps I'm just a bit oblivious, but I haven't seen any news on the board about Bloomfield's BATE tournament. I know they claimed an NAQT IS set, but the lack of announcements was a bit anxiety-inducing. Does anyone know whether the Bloomfield tournament is definitely on?

Thank you in advance.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
Rikku

Bloomfield didn't post an announcement about their tournament last year either, so it's not entirely unexpected.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Atlanto-occipital joint wrote:Perhaps I'm just a bit oblivious, but I haven't seen any news on the board about Bloomfield's BATE tournament. I know they claimed an NAQT IS set, but the lack of announcements was a bit anxiety-inducing. Does anyone know whether the Bloomfield tournament is definitely on?

Thank you in advance.
They emailed me (well, our former coach) a few weeks ago with information. If you PM me you or your coach's email address, I'll forward the invitation along to you.
Jon Pinyan

Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

user0001 wrote:Stuyvesant is getting on its feet with the administration, and it's looking like we might actually be able to host. If so, it'd probably be March 11th on NAQT #108A. However, we may be forced to have a pretty low field cap and our priority would be bringing in new high schools from within the city. I'll post again and start a thread once we get confirmation. The name would be the Stuyvesant Academic Tournament (SAT).
It's been almost a month, is there any news on whether this tournament is going to be happening? I think it would be great to see some sort of quiz bowl in the city other than Prison Bowl, which isn't overly new team friendly what with its typically not-so-weak field.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

We've been fighting with figures in the administration. It's still possible we'll be able to host at some point this year, but it has become highly unlikely that we can have it by the date originally planned, March 10th.

Anime or anime-like avatar removed --Toyotomi Hideyoshi
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

Rikku

Oh hey, Stony Brook might totally be hosting NAQT States now. We'll be holding it on the same date as Princeton's mirror (April 14th) if it happens.
EDIT: REJECTED
Last edited by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
Beth.Shobe
Kimahri

Post by Beth.Shobe »

Has any information on the Millburn tourney been posted? The School Board's deadline for submitting for approval is monday so we need to register asap.

If anyone has this info please post it or indicate where it is on the forums since I am new to this site and could have missed it.

Thank you
Beth Shobe
EBHS
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
etakuyak
Lulu

Post by etakuyak »

Scarsdale is considering bidding for the NYC-area NAQT state championships. If we were to host the tournament on April 14th (the same day as the New Jersey NAQT state championships) would teams be willing to come? Tournament is still in a planning stage and is not yet assuredly going to happen (it is dependent on number of teams interested and several administration details at the school). It seems more likely now though. Scarsdale is in Westchester county about a half hour north of NYC on the Metro North Harlem line that passes through White Plains.
Evan Kratzer

Scarsdale HS '12
Princeton '16
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

etakuyak wrote:Scarsdale is considering bidding for the NYC-area NAQT state championships. If we were to host the tournament on April 14th (the same day as the New Jersey NAQT state championships) would teams be willing to come? Tournament is still in a planning stage and is not yet assuredly going to happen (it is dependent on number of teams interested and several administration details at the school). It seems more likely now though. Scarsdale is in Westchester county about a half hour north of NYC on the Metro North Harlem line that passes through White Plains.
Irvington would very much be interested in attending the tournament, as you could probably have guessed, and I imagine we could lend you the e-mail addresses for the teams that attend MACCs if you want to advertise to all of them.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16