Quizbowl for Seniors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Cheynem
Sin

Quizbowl for Seniors

Post by Cheynem » Tue May 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I was reading my local paper and it had an article about senior citizens competing in an Odyssey of the Mind type competition. While this is obviously very different from quizbowl, I was wondering if anyone was aware of attempts to organize quizbowl competitions, however informal and small scale, for senior citizens. I'm not sure who one would have to talk to to set something like this up, if there was interest, or if the rules would have to be tweaked in some way, but I was just curious.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Re: Quizbowl for Seniors

Post by TheKingInYellow » Wed May 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Mrs Gittings does something like this with the people at her parents-in-law's old folks home... I'm sure she'd love to tell you about it if you're interested
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015

Great Bustard
Auron

Re: Quizbowl for Seniors

Post by Great Bustard » Wed May 25, 2011 2:34 am

We're going to be doing an event for seniors in August as an outreach event. Not quite sure what this will entail, but we'll bring a buzzer system and have a lot on 1940's-1960's history. I think tournaments for seniors (I'd recommend community senior centers or independent living complexes - not assisted living or nursing homes) can be a great way for high school teams to fundraise. Just keep the questions to the 1-2 line variety.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad