Ezell-Harding Academic Tournament - September 17, 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
RGRummage
Lulu

Ezell-Harding Academic Tournament - September 17, 2011

Post by RGRummage »

Save the date!!! The eighteenth Ezell-Harding Christian School Academic Tournament (Nashville, TN) has been scheduled for Saturday, September 17, 2011.

We will again use a round-robin format with each round consisting of twenty tossup questions, ten bounce back bonus questions, and a worksheet prepared this spring and summer by members of our team, as well as by faculty consultants. All rounds will have five social studies tossups, five literature tossups, five science tossups, and a combination of five math, art, and music tossups. At the conclusion of the morning rounds, we will give each school a copy of the questions used for the preliminary rounds. More information will follow in the summer.

We hope to see you again this year.
Thanks--Ronnie Rummage
Ronnie Rummage
Ezell-Harding
RGRummage
Lulu

Re: Ezell-Harding Academic Tournament - September 17, 2011

Post by RGRummage »

We have e-mailed and/or mailed the invitations and registration forms for our eighteenth Ezell-Harding Christian School Academic Tournament to be held on September 17, 2011, in Nashville. If you did not receive this information and would like a copy, please e-mail me at [email protected].

We will again use a round-robin format with each round consisting of ten tossup questions, a worksheet, and ten tossups with bounce back bonuses. All rounds will have five social studies tossups, five literature tossups, five science tossups, and a combination of five math, art, and music tossups. At the conclusion of the morning rounds, we will give each school a copy of the questions used for the preliminary rounds. We will begin with a coaches meeting at 8:30 (Central Time) and expect to finish the tournament by 3:30 or 4:00.

Our registration fee remains at $60 per team with a four-team limit per school. There will be a varsity division only though jv teams are certainly invited to compete in our tournament.

We anticipate another full field, so please register as soon as you know your plans. We look forward to having you again.
Ronnie Rummage
Ezell-Harding
unleashmayhem
Lulu

Post by unleashmayhem »

Could you please post a field update?
Sai Yalla
Paul Laurence Dunbar '13
Lexington, Kentucky
RGRummage
Lulu

Post by RGRummage »

current field as of September 15, 2011

Campbell County (KY) A and B
Danville (KY) A and B
Daviess County (KY)
Detroit Catholic Central (MI)
Dorman (SC) A, B, and C
Dunbar (KY) A, B, and C
duPont Manual (KY)
Farragut (TN) A, B, and C
Forrest Middle (TN)
Franklin Road Academy (TN)
Gallatin (TN)
Glasgow (KY) A and B
Grayson County (KY)
Hume-Fogg (TN)
Johnson County (KY) A and B
Johnson County Middle (KY)
Lincoln County (TN)
Montgomery Bell Academy (MBA) (TN) A, B, C, and D
Oak Ridge (TN)
Owensboro (KY)
Pikeville (KY)
Portland (TN)
Rossview (TN) A and B
Russell (KY) A, B, and C
University School of Nashville (USN) (TN) A and B
Webb (TN) A and B
Woodford County (KY) A, B, C, and D
Last edited by RGRummage on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Rummage
Ezell-Harding
RGRummage
Lulu

Post by RGRummage »

We have closed our registration for next week's tournament at our limit of forty-eight teams. If you would like to be added to our waiting list, please contact me at [email protected]. We are again looking forward to another excellent field of competitors. RRummage
Ronnie Rummage
Ezell-Harding
RGRummage
Lulu

Post by RGRummage »

A few changes in the field appear above. Have a safe trip to Nashville. We are looking forward to having all of you. RR
Ronnie Rummage
Ezell-Harding
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

Congrats to Detroit CC to winning the tournament and Johnson A on finishing second. Heard the match was decided by the final tossup. Does anyone have more detailed results?
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
unleashmayhem
Lulu

Post by unleashmayhem »

Edit: Rudeness, immaturity, and embarrassment.

User was reminded of the rule "Do not under any circumstances edit your post to change its meaning or the meaning of a subsequent post that responds to it." User has lost the privilege of editing own posts. --mgmt
Last edited by unleashmayhem on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sai Yalla
Paul Laurence Dunbar '13
Lexington, Kentucky
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

unleashmayhem wrote:DuPont Manual defeating Dunbar A.
What exactly constitutes this as an "upset"?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I'm curious to hear about the quality of these questions and of the game format itself. I know this is semi-common in southeastern states, but it's high-quality enough for powerhouses like Dunbar, Dorman, DuPont Manual, and DCC (that's a lot of D's) to attend? I only ask because this game format, while it may seem like not a big deal to southeastern teams, is certainly foreign to us.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:I'm curious to hear about the quality of these questions and of the game format itself. I know this is semi-common in southeastern states, but it's high-quality enough for powerhouses like Dunbar, Dorman, DuPont Manual, and DCC (that's a lot of D's) to attend? I only ask because this game format, while it may seem like not a big deal to southeastern teams, is certainly foreign to us.
I believe this is a format that is, or is similar to, the tournament ran at Parkersburg Catholic (WV)'s fall tournament (had I actually gone to this tournament when we sent teams I could say for sure). The worksheet is also used in OAC (Ohio) format.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:I'm curious to hear about the quality of these questions and of the game format itself. I know this is semi-common in southeastern states, but it's high-quality enough for powerhouses like Dunbar, Dorman, DuPont Manual, and DCC (that's a lot of D's) to attend? I only ask because this game format, while it may seem like not a big deal to southeastern teams, is certainly foreign to us.
The game format is different, but not bad. The worksheet is something that my kids have always enjoyed. I know Dr. Rummage's theory on it is that the worksheet gives young teams and new teams a chance to get some points when maybe they're too timid to buzz in a lot (if at all). I tend to agree that's a worthwhile goal, especially at a tournament so early in the year. The slightly different format also seems like it creates a more relaxed atmosphere, which is really nice as teams are first getting into the swing of things at the beginning of the year.

As far as the questions go, they have occasional flaws like any other set (an extra difficult tossup, an awkward clue placement, etc), but overall they're of a high quality and enjoyable to play on.

In addition to the things mentioned above, Ezell's tournament has several other things going for it that help to make it one of the best tournaments in the south.

1. It ALWAYS runs on time. Every year they bring in 48 teams, the first match starts at 9, at the last teams are done by 4pm.
2. It provides good competition for both inexperienced and experienced teams.
3. There aren't many tournaments this early in the competition season, so it gives teams an early opportunity to gauge their own strengths and weaknesses so they can improve throughout the year. I know as a coach it's a hugely valuable tool for me to find out where my team is at the beginning of the year so I know where to focus our work.

Overall Ezell's tournament has always been a tremendously positive experience for my teams. It's one of the first tournaments I pencil into our schedule each year because of the high quality of questions, competition, and tournament atmosphere.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

I want to thank Dr. Rummage for a lot of the same things already said above. We had a great time and got to play some very talented teams. The tournament was run incredibly well; we played 10 rounds and left before 4 PM. Also congratulations to all those who competed and placed. I really hope we get more chances this season to compete against the likes of Dunbar, Dupont Manual, Dorman, Danville, and Johnson County.
HopefullyUnknown wrote: Does anyone have more detailed results?
The final score IIRC was 250-220, and the game indeed went down to the last tu. And I think the semi-finalist teams were Dupont Manual and Dunbar (Not sure A or B but I think it was Dunbar B because they defeated Dorman in the quarterfinals).
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

1st--DCC
2nd--Johnson Central A
T-3rd--duPont Manual and Dunbar B
T-5th--Dunbar A, USN A, Dorman A, others (sorry, I don't remember them)
Ulster Clay Pigeon Shooting Association wrote:
unleashmayhem wrote:DuPont Manual defeating Dunbar A.
What exactly constitutes this as an "upset"?
I would like to know this as well.

Edit: Grammar
Edit II: Remembered Dorman A
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

It's just his opinion. Obviously, Dunbar and duPont are both good programs. In my opinion, both teams are of roughly comparable strength. It's too early in the year for people to reinvigorate debates of rankings and upsets. I hope that no one's pride was hurt as a result of someone stating his opinion - even if it was questionable.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Ezell-Harding is an amazing community of dedicated individuals who once more provided a well-run tournament and a first-class experience for all those who attended!!!

I, too, would like for you to know that the comment made by S.Y. reflects only his opinion and actions-not those of any other members of our team or coaching staff. He was not a member of either of the two teams (A or B) about which he commented. Our team is well aware of the distinguished programs at both Dorman and duPont and consider it an honor whenever we have an opportunity to compete with such outstanding teams.
SHM, former head coach @ PLD
Susan, Dunbar
RGRummage
Lulu

Post by RGRummage »

Thanks so much to the outstanding field of competitors who attended this year's tournament. We enjoyed seeing you again and hope you had a great day.

Congratulations to our winners:
1st - Detroit Catholic
2nd - Johnson Central A
Semifinalists - duPont Manual and Dunbar B
Quarterfinalists - Danville A, Dorman A, Dunbar A, and USN A
Ronnie Rummage
Ezell-Harding