2011 NAQT Ontario Provincial Championship - June 11, Guelph

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Camelopardalis
Wakka

2011 NAQT Ontario Provincial Championship - June 11, Guelph

Post by Camelopardalis »

The University of Guelph Quizbowl Team is proud to announce that it will host the second annual NAQT Ontario Provincial Championship on June 11, 2011 in Guelph, ON. This tournament will serve as an opportunity all Ontario high school quiz teams to compete for a provincial championship on tossup/bonus questions.

Location: This tournament will take place on the first, second, and third floors of the MacKinnon Building on the campus of the University of Guelph. A map of the University of Guelph campus can be found here. Information about the MacKinnon Building, marked as "MACK" on the campus map, can be found here, and a map of the city can be found here. It should be noted that there are multiple entrances to the building at different levels, but there is clear signage within the building that will direct you to the right floor. MacKinnon is a wheelchair-accessible building (on all floors) due to its many elevators.

Registration: Teams may register by sending all of the following information to guelphtrivia -AT- gmail -DOT- com:
- Number of teams (#) - please refer to eligibility guidelines below
- Number of fully functional buzzer systems (#) - lockout system with eight working lights and an audible buzz
- Moderator availability (Y/N) - moderators familiar with NAQT rules will not necessarily have to read or scorekeep if there are available staff; this is just a precaution should the need arise
- Coach contact information (telephone # and email address), or if applicable, travel contact information (telephone # and email adress)
We will confirm registrations with teams as soon as possible after receiving them.

Timing: Registration will begin at 8:30am, and we ask that all teams aim to arrive in Guelph by no later than 9am. We hope to have all games underway between 9:30am and 10:00am, and there will be a lunch break after five rounds, at approximately 12:30pm. Though the schedule is largely dependent on the number of teams that arrive, we hope to have all games finished by 5pm. This was also our goal last year, and we finished comfortably before that time.

Meeting Room: We ask that all participants meet in MACK 117, on the first floor of MacKinnon. Please note that this is changed from last year's location in Rozanski Hall, to allow for easier travel between the meeting room and game rooms.

Eligibility: This tournament is open to all high school quiz teams (grades 9-12), regardless of the primary format in which they compete (Reach for the Top, etc.). A school does not have to qualify for this tournament via previous performance. Teams may be composed of up to 7 players, but only 4 may compete at any one time, like Reach for the Top. Substitutions are permitted at half-time or during a team's time out. All students must be from the same school, but home school cooperatives may of course compete as one team.

Questions:
The Ontario Provincial Championship will use a NAQT Invitational Series set, specifically #IS-105. Please note that this is one difficulty level higher from last year's edition. We elected to use the easier IS-A series last year, given that it was the tournament's inaugural edition, but due to the impressive performance across the board we are using the standard state/provincial championship set this year. Teams are strongly encouraged to refer to NAQT's sample questions, available here, for an example of the format and difficulty level of these questions (note that the American content seen in these sample questions will largely be replaced with equivalent Canadian content, as per usual).

Rules: This tournament will use the NAQT Official Rules, which can be found via the previous link. Matches will use 9-minute timed halves, 15-point powers, and -5 point interrupts. A brief summary of the rules for new teams can be found here, and NAQT's correctness guidelines can be found here

Qualifications: Note that this tournament will not serve as qualification for the NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC in 2011, unlike last year's (or future years') editions. This is due to the late date of the tournament taking place, due to unavoidable schedule conflicts. We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope to have this changed for next year.

Field: Due to space limitations, we will be capping this field at 24 teams. We reserve the right to end registration before that if we feel we do not have enough qualified staff to run a high-quality event with more teams, but we also may expand the field, given the appropriate staff and building space. The current field can be found in the post below, with each school's city, number of teams, and number of buzzers in parentheses.

Pricing: We aim to keep costs for this tournament low to encourage accessibility. The fee structure is as follows:

School registration: $60
Additional teams from the same school: $40/team

Discounts
Buzzers: -$10/system
Qualified moderator: -$10/person
Distance: -$10/350km traveled

It should be noted that the University of Guelph Quizbowl Team is a non-profit organization and as such, costs for this tournament are solely for the purpose of offsetting tournament expenses and raising funds for other quizbowl events. It is our strict policy that no school should have to miss competing due to a lack of funds, and we will thus gladly negotiate discounts or, should the need arise, waive registration costs for teams for whom the costs are highly prohibitive.

Payment: Payment may be made via personal cheque, addressed to "University of Guelph Quizbowl". We will also of course accept cash, and are willing to discuss alternate methods of payment if the need arises. We are happy to provide receipts if you would like one.

Accommodation: For the vast majority of teams, that is, likely all teams in southwestern Ontario, a hotel stay would not be necessary. However, teams from Ottawa, Kingston, Sudbury, North Bay, Peterborough and the Kawarthas, or any region of northern or eastern Ontario may find that a hotel stay would be much easier than a lengthy drive home after the completion of the tournament. The University of Guelph Quizbowl Team officially recommends the Stone Rd. Best Western across from campus. It is within a 5-7 walk of the MacKinnon Building (and 30 seconds from campus), and has been well received for cleanliness, friendliness, cost and amenities from other teams staying in Guelph for tournaments (like Lisgar and the University of Ottawa). Their website can be found here. Of course, Guelph has more than one hotel, and lists of these are readily available online.

Accessing Guelph: Guelph is connected to the rest of Ontario by Via Rail, and speaking from experience as a frequent traveler, that method of transport is convenient and, for students, quite inexpensive. For teams that do not want or are unable to drive to Guelph, it is an enticing option. Greyhound also comes to downtown Guelph, and GO Bus connects Toronto to the University of Guelph campus. Guelph is also just off the 401, and Google Maps tells us that, by car, Guelph is:
0:32 from Kitchener
0:43 from Hamilton
0:56 from Brantford
1:08 from Toronto
1:20 from St. Catharines
1:31 from London
3:20 from Windsor
3:35 from Kingston
5:28 from Ottawa
[and 21:49 from Kenora]
(hours:minutes)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach me, Chris Greenwood, at greenwoc -AT- uoguelph -DOT- ca. I will serve as Tournament Director for the 2011 NAQT Ontario Provincial Championship, and Tom Minard (tminard -AT- uoguelph -DOT- com) will serve as the Assistant Tournament Director. Either one of us will repsond to any comments or questions you may have in a prompt manner.

Thanks, and we hope to see you in Guelph on June 11!

Chris Greenwood,
University of Guelph Quizbowl
Last edited by Camelopardalis on Mon May 30, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Re: 2011 NAQT Ontario Provincial Championship - June 11, Guelph

Post by Camelopardalis »

This post is reserved for field updates.

Field (as of June 6):
Bell HS, Ottawa (1)
Woburn CI, Toronto (3)
Centennial CVI, Guelph (2)
Lisgar CI, Ottawa (2-3)
Assumption HS, Hamilton (2)

Other Interested teams (as of June 6):
Sir Winston Churchill (?)
Last edited by Camelopardalis on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

This tournament is actively seeking moderators with experience in or knowledge of NAQT formats. Please contact me at greenwoc AT uoguelph DOT ca for details about moderating. We have a place to stay if you need it (but it may be a couch or floor), unless you'd prefer to stay at a hotel. I'll reiterate that you definitely would not need to stay in a hotel if you're coming from southern Ontario (Toronto, Windsor, Hamilton, K-W, etc.), but may wish to do so if you're coming from farther away. Our goal is to have at least 13 experienced staffers, but preferably more.

This post will be reserved to keep track of moderators and tournament staff.

Staff list (as of May 30):
Britney Castleman
Tom Minard
Chris Greenwood
Sinan Ulusoy
Ben Smith
Peter Burton
Jamie Cooper
Nick Green
Laura Harper
George Hutchinson
*Brian McNamara

*indicates tentative

Buzzers
Guelph - 1
Centennial - 1
Woburn - 3(?)
Lisgar - 1-3(?)
Bell - 1
Last edited by Camelopardalis on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

I am interested in staffing, but I've just started a new job, and they prefer for us to be at least available on Saturdays, even if they don't schedule us. I will know my availability a few days prior to the tournament (likely Wednesday), so while you cannot count upon me, if I am free, I will be there.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Before this Thursday, I should know if there will be space available in my hotel and/or rental car for anyone coming from Ottawa or the eastern 401 corridor.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Thanks Brian and Ben, the moderator list has been updated.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

bsmith wrote:Before this Thursday, I should know if there will be space available in my hotel and/or rental car for anyone coming from Ottawa or the eastern 401 corridor.
FYI the Best Western is sold out (when I tried to reserve). I'm staying at the Days Inn instead. If anyone wants to take space in my car, please keep in mind that I will be leaving Guelph around 6:30-7 AM on Sunday to get back to Ottawa around noon.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
djcarter
Lulu

Post by djcarter »

Would just like to add if you haven't heard already that Centennial CVI is hoping to bring 3 teams. Only 1 is confirmed as of this instant, but we're hoping for more, potentially with a "junior" team.

EDIT: Centennial is now confirmed as bringing two teams.
Daniel Carter
Centennial CVI '11
McGill University '15
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

What time are you looking for this to end/what time will the meeting regarding an Ontario High School Quiz Bowl group take place?
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Bartleby wrote:What time are you looking for this to end/what time will the meeting regarding an Ontario High School Quiz Bowl group take place?
We're looking to end around 5pm, and we finished before that last year. As for the meeting, I'm not sure - right after? We have the rooms until the evening, so I'm happy to start in one of the MacKinnon game rooms right away, if that's good with everyone.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Camelopardalis wrote:
Bartleby wrote:What time are you looking for this to end/what time will the meeting regarding an Ontario High School Quiz Bowl group take place?
We're looking to end around 5pm, and we finished before that last year. As for the meeting, I'm not sure - right after? We have the rooms until the evening, so I'm happy to start in one of the MacKinnon game rooms right away, if that's good with everyone.
I have work at 7 PM, so I would have to be leaving Guelph by 5:20 or so. I have to double-check something, but I will confirm my attendance or lack thereof tomorrow.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Edit: decided to e-mail you instead.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Round 1 is now underway. 10 teams from 5 schools will play a full round-robin, and updates will be posted here regularly. Though the quantity of teams is so-so (understandable, given the lateness and short notices), the quality is very high!
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

At lunch, we're through four rounds. Lisgar A and Lisgar B are tied for first with records of 4-0.

Standings
Lisgar A - 4-0
Lisgar B - 4-0
Centennial B - 3-1
Woburn A - 2-2
Bell - 2-2
Woburn B - 2-2
Assumption B - 2-2
Centennial - 1-3
Assumption A - 0-4
Woburn C - 0-4

Top Individuals
Daniel Carter, Centennial B 7/15/6 - 56.25
Joe Su, Lisgar A 7/11/0 - 53.75
Harry Rusnock, Lisgar A 6/9/1 - 43.75
Will Sanna, Lisgar B 4/8/3 - 41.67
Geoffrey Song, Lisgar B 8/7/6 - 40.00

Top Junior Individuals
Will Sanna, Lisgar B
Peter Liu, Woburn B
Burns MacPherson, Centennial A
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Camelopardalis wrote:At lunch, we're through four rounds. Lisgar A and Lisgar B are tied for first with records of 4-0.

Standings
Lisgar A - 4-0
Lisgar B - 4-0
Centennial B - 3-1
Woburn A - 2-2
Bell - 2-2
Woburn B - 2-2
Assumption B - 2-2
Centennial - 1-3
Assumption A - 0-4
Woburn C - 0-4

Top Individuals
Daniel Carter, Centennial B 7/15/6 - 56.25
Joe Su, Lisgar A 7/11/0 - 53.75
Harry Rusnock, Lisgar A 6/9/1 - 43.75
Will Sanna, Lisgar B 4/8/3 - 41.67
Geoffrey Song, Lisgar B 8/7/6 - 40.00

Top Junior Individuals
Will Sanna, Lisgar B
Peter Liu, Woburn B
Burns MacPherson, Centennial A
EDIT: When do Lisgar A and B play?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:EDIT: When do Lisgar A and B play?
Round 9 (the last round).
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Rikku

Camelopardalis wrote:
Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:EDIT: When do Lisgar A and B play?
Round 9 (the last round).
I see. Will you post an update before then?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Sure. Games have restarted, and Lisgar A and Lisgar are both 5-0 heading into Round 6.

EDIT: After Round 6, Lisgar B is now 5-1.
Last edited by Camelopardalis on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Rikku

What was Centennial "A" (i.e. Daniel's team)'s only loss? And Woburn A's?
Patrick Liao
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:What was Centennial "A" (i.e. Daniel's team)'s only loss? And Woburn A's?
Daniel's team (Centennial B) lost a close game to Bell in Round 1, 290-270. Bell pulled ahead from 260-270 on the last tossup for the win.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

EDIT: Standings heading into the final round are:

1 Lisgar A - 8-0
2 Lisgar B - 7-1
3 Bell - 6-2
4 Centennial B - 5-3
5 Woburn A - 4-3* - 1 game to be reported
6 Woburn B - 3-4* - 1 game to be reported
7 Woburn C - 3-5
8 Assumption B - 2-6
9 Centennial A - 1-7
10 Assumption A - 0-8

If necessary, an advantaged final will be played between #1 and #2 for first place, as well as between #3 and #4 for third place.

The top 5 scorers are:
Daniel Carter, Centennial B
Harry Rusnock, Lisgar A
Joe Su, Lisgar A
Angus Chung, Woburn C
Cooper Albertson-Webb, Centennial B
Last edited by Camelopardalis on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Rikku

Camelopardalis wrote:Standings heading into the final two rounds are:

1 Lisgar A - 7-0
2 Lisgar B - 6-1
3 Centennial B - 5-2
4 Bell - 5-2
5 Woburn A - 4-3
6 Woburn B - 3-4
7 Assumption B - 2-5
8 Woburn C - 2-5
9 Centennial A - 1-6
10 Assumption A - 0-7

If necessary, an advantaged final will be played between #1 and #2 for first place, as well as between #3 and #4 for third place.
Who did Lisgar B lose to?
Patrick Liao
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:Who did Lisgar B lose to?
Woburn A, 270-170.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Rikku

Any updates?
Patrick Liao
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Lisgar A wins outright with a record of 9-0. Bell wins the tiebreaker against Lisgar B to take 2nd place. Full stats and write-up should be up soon.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Rikku

I propose that future provincials should be at least a full month before this one was in order to attract more teams. Also, what happened with the ONQBA?
Patrick Liao
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:I propose that future provincials should be at least a full month before this one was in order to attract more teams. Also, what happened with the ONQBA?
There's an ONQBA now. Daniel Carter will call for executive candidates and have an election. Your first comment will probably be respected in the "negotiations" to transfer provincials from Guelph to the ONQBA.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Stats! Many thanks to Tom Minard and Laura Harper for their help.

Prelims: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Playoffs: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

I had to make some slight modifications to the stats. Here are the new links: