2011 NSC Match Tracker

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

2011 NSC Match Tracker

Post by cvdwightw »

On Saturday and Sunday I will be running a Match Tracker spreadsheet similar to the HSNCT one. This will happen on the assumption that I will be getting scores out of the NSC control rooms.

The spreadsheet is available as a webpage here. This should allow more than 50 people at a time to access the document and should, therefore, alleviate some of the performance issues. The downside is that if I forget to hit "Republish Now" every time I update it, it may or may not update in real time (it claims to update every 5 minutes automatically; we'll see).

There are a lot of quirks going on here. Some of the important ones:
  • No, I do not have bracket information, nor would I give it to you if I had it. I will probably spend most of Round 1 changing teams like "D2" and "F5" to real teams, which means that there will be no updating for a while early Saturday morning. Also, this information will be scrambled such that, for instance, "D2" will not necessarily correspond to the second seed in the fourth bracket.
  • No, I do not have access to the NSC schedule either. I just made up a plausible round-robin schedule that may or may not be what PACE is using. This means that scores may be entered for rounds in which they are not played.
  • The only statistics on here will be game winners and points scored in each game. Teams are ranked in the standings pages first by number of wins, then by total points within the given round-robin. This means that some parts of the tournament (like the wild-card playoffs) may be inaccurately predicted even after all necessary scores are in. I have ways of manually working around this.
  • This also means that predicted brackets for future stages will be updated in "real time" as well.
  • I will be dealing with tiebreakers manually. Mini-match 1 tiebreaker wins/byes get 0.5 extra wins, mini-match 2 tiebreaker wins get 0.25 extra wins.
  • Yes, I'm aware there's nothing on the "Finals" sheet right now. That's because I've coded for every likely finals scenario, and predictions of which one it is won't show up until the first superplayoff game (the carryover game) is entered.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: 2011 NSC Match Tracker

Post by Stained Diviner »

Thanks a lot for doing this. Is there some way that somebody from PACE could give Dwight the schedule and he could use that to match the schedule in the document? It's not in any way useful to know that, for example, A1 plays A2 in the first round if you don't know who A1 and A2 are, so I would hope that this could be shared, making it easier for people to follow the results in real time and look back at the results after the tournament.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Westwon wrote:Is there some way that somebody from PACE could give Dwight the schedule and he could use that to match the schedule in the document? It's not in any way useful to know that, for example, A1 plays A2 in the first round if you don't know who A1 and A2 are, so I would hope that this could be shared, making it easier for people to follow the results in real time and look back at the results after the tournament.
Having talked with other PACE people who have actual authority over this tournament, it seems like PACE is unlikely to release the brackets publicly until the day of the tournament, which means that (even if I did have inside information) I would not be able to put in actual team names until Saturday morning. Therefore A1, A2, etc. are just placeholders for now and will be replaced once brackets are available.

(EDIT: Unless you mean the schedule thing. In that case, I'll just hope that my schedule and PACE's schedule match up. If they don't, all that means is that I'll have to add a little round appellation to each score, since each match on the match sheets will be played in one of the rounds on that sheet, and I don't want to go back and fix code on six sheets)
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Stained Diviner
Auron

I realize that, but you currently have, for example, A1 vs A4 in Round 1 and A1 vs A5 in Round 2. If that's the way it will actually play out, great. If not, it would make the document easier to read if it matched the actual schedule. There's no reason to keep that information secret, since it is meaningless unless you know which actual team is A1.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Westwon wrote:I realize that, but you currently have, for example, A1 vs A4 in Round 1 and A1 vs A5 in Round 2. If that's the way it will actually play out, great. If not, it would make the document easier to read if it matched the actual schedule.
After some testing, it looks like I won't have to do any extra coding, just a lot of cut-and-paste, if I got the schedule wrong. This won't be a concern.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks!
David Reinstein
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

Thanks to one and all for keeping us up to date!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Hey, if you give me access to edit this, I can post the results from the Deneb and Arcturus brackets. For now, round 1 results are:

Deneb
Quince Orchard (W-260) vs. Centennial (L-230)
Stevenson (W-540) vs. Dorman B (L-200)
Mission San Jose (W-410) vs. Northmont B (L-240)

Arcturus
Frenchtown (W-250) vs. Bainbridge (L-170)
TJ A (W-490)
Oak Park River Forest (W-410)
Clayton (L-260)
Seven Lakes ? (L-270)
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

The Saturday match tracker is complete except for two playoff games in the Akutagawa bracket (TJ A-Alpharetta and Auburn A-St. Anselm's). These are unofficial standings. I believe Donald Taylor has the official ones, but I don't know when PACE will be releasing them. The Sunday match tracker will be in the "Superplayoffs" and "Superplayoffs_Standings" sheets on the link.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

cvdwightw wrote:The Saturday match tracker is complete except for two playoff games in the Akutagawa bracket (TJ A-Alpharetta and Auburn A-St. Anselm's).
We beat TJ A 370-250, and Auburn beat St. Anselm's, creating a 4-way tie for the two middle-bracket spots.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15