2010-11 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: 2010-11 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

MickeyR0urke wrote:I seem to remember Achebe being tossed up twice in IS-100. (Anyone else have a better memory of those?)
I can only find one:
IS #100 round 4 wrote:In one novel by this author, a newspaper editor named Ikem Osodi is assassinated, leading his friend Christopher Oriko to go into hiding. In addition to that novel set in the fictional country of Kangan, (*) ~Anthills of the Savannah~, this author of ~Arrow of God~ wrote a 1958 novel whose characters include a child named Ikemefuna. For 10 points--name this author of a novel about Okonkwo, ~Things Fall Apart~.
Also too hard to power: 0/19/0 in 32 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Ulster Clay Pigeon Shooting Association wrote:Can you post the Neruda, Oregon and Orange River tossups in 102, the Texas question in 98, and the Marquette question in 105 please?
IS #102 round 2 wrote:This poet wrote about the "perfume of the plums that rolling on the ground / rot in time, infinitely green" in his "Dead Gallop," the first poem in his book ~Residence on Earth~. "A Lamp on Earth" and "The Liberators" are parts of his (*) ~Canto general~, which contains the section "The Heights of Macchu Picchu." For 10 points--name this Chilean Nobel Prize-winner who wrote ~Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair~.
IS #102 round 1 wrote:Steens Mountain, in this state, stretches for 50 miles and overlooks the Alvord Desert. In this state are the cities of Ashland, Klamath Falls, and Medford, while in its middle a group of volcanoes dubbed the Three Sisters lies near Bend. Its Mount Jefferson and Mount (*) Hood are part of the Cascade Range. Crater Lake is found in--for 10 points--what U.S. state with capital Salem and most populous city Portland?
IS #102 round 3 wrote:This river, also called the Senqu, rises in the Drakensberg Mountains 120 miles west of the Indian Ocean. Its tributaries include the Molopo River, which flows past Mafikeng, and it receives the Vaal River near Kimberley. This namesake of a 19th-century (*) Boer "free state" enters the Atlantic after flowing along the border of Namibia and South Africa. What river--for 10 points--is named after the Dutch royal house?
IS #98 round 3 wrote:Rod Paige, a native of this state, has opposed initiatives from the likes of Don McLeroy involving the solvency of Medicare, global efforts to undermine U.S. solvency, Jefferson Davis's inaugural address, and whether (*) Joseph McCarthy was right. For 10 points--economies of scale may lead to nationwide use of textbooks conforming to the new social studies standards of what largest former Confederate state?
IS #105 round 3 wrote:After his time among the Huron in 1666, this man traveled up the St. Lawrence River to the Great Lakes, where he met the Illini. He founded missions in present-day Michigan at Sault Ste. Marie and St. Ignace, the latter of which was the starting point for his voyage to explore the (*) Mississippi River with Louis Joliet. For 10 points--name this Jesuit priest who names a university in Milwaukee.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Can you give combined conversion statistics for literature, philosophy, and religion from this year's IS (not A) sets?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

Literature: 717/2625/440 in 4986 rooms

67.03% conversion, 21.45% power rate

Philosophy: 37/207/33 in 428 rooms

57.01% conversion, 15.16% power rate

Religion: 67/374/108 in 603 rooms

73.13% conversion, 15.19% power rate

(The literature numbers do not include myth, religious literature, children's lit, or popular genres lit. The religion numbers are the totals for those questions classified as "religious literature" and "theology.")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

Can you post the tossup on "money" from IS-102?
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Important Bird Area

IS #102 round 5 wrote:In older textbooks, it had "functions four: a medium, a measure, a standard, and a store," and it titles Martin Amis's 1984 novel about "A Suicide Note." In ancient Rome the denarius was the most common form of it. (*) Gresham's Law asserts that the bad kind will always drive out the good kind. For 10 points--name this commodity of exchange, the love of which, the Bible says, is the root of all evil.

answer: _money_ (accept _currency_ or other equivalents before "Martin Amis")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Could you post the tossup on the Mahabharata from IS-105 as well as its conversion rate?
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Important Bird Area

IS #105 round 10 wrote:Like ~The Return of the King~, the end of this work signals the beginning of a fourth age. Toward its end, the god Yama accompanies a group climbing a mountain in the form of a dog. Two brothers fail the climb to due to vanity, two more fail due to martial pride, and their wife (*) Draupadi fails because she loved Arjuna more than the four. For 10 points--name this 18-~parva~ Sanskrit epic that includes the ~Bhagavad-gita~.
5/5/5 in 21 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

No Electricity Required
Wakka

bt_green_warbler wrote:
IS #102 round 5 wrote:In older textbooks, it had "functions four: a medium, a measure, a standard, and a store," and it titles Martin Amis's 1984 novel about "A Suicide Note." In ancient Rome the denarius was the most common form of it. (*) Gresham's Law asserts that the bad kind will always drive out the good kind. For 10 points--name this commodity of exchange, the love of which, the Bible says, is the root of all evil.

So, according to the answerline, "coins" shouldn't have been acceptable at around the word "common," correct?
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

No Electricity Required wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:

So, according to the answerline, "coins" shouldn't have been acceptable at around the word "common," correct?
Not once they mentioned the title, since titles should be exact. This was confusing though, the denarius was a type of coin if I'm correct, and I was trying to decide whether or not I should buzz with coinage and hope to be prompted when the other team got it right.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Plan Rubber wrote:
No Electricity Required wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:

Not once they mentioned the title, since titles should be exact. This was confusing though, the denarius was a type of coin if I'm correct, and I was trying to decide whether or not I should buzz with coinage and hope to be prompted when the other team got it right.
Yeah, our opponent said "coins" there, and our moderator accepted it off of a plea from them on the basis that dinarius isn't money (it is, but that's not the point), and she would not begin to listen to my problem with the title thing (unfortunetly this was a pivital game (won by 45 points, and I easily could have power-vulched that tossup), and could have even cost us the tournament). Well, I'll stop complaining about it and suggest that: Ideally, a different clue could have more clearly pointed at money (or whatever answer) so that situations like this don't happen (especially in regions where moderators aren't as experienced with this kind of stuff.
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
Important Bird Area

We should certainly have written that tossup in a way that prevented people from buzzing with "coins" or similar answers.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Per request:
IS #104 round 13 wrote:Cladribrine can treat the "hairy cell" type of this disease, which like its large granular variety is easily treatable and non-aggressive. Types of this disease are distinguished from each other by whether they affect B cells or cells in the bone (*) marrow, and it was commonly reported in Hiroshima after the bomb. For 10 points--name this disease characterized by a sharp increase in white blood cells, a cancer of the blood.

answer: _leukemia_
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

theflyingdeutschman
Wakka

Post by theflyingdeutschman »

Can someone post the Inception tossup?
Sam Deutsch
Richard Montgomery '13
University Of Southern California '17
Important Bird Area

IS #98 round 10 wrote:In this film, one character uses the "Mr. Charles" ploy previously used on the Stein job, and a forger named Eames impersonates Maurice Fischer's assistant to get a safe's combination. Ken (*) Watanabe's character goes into limbo, but Ellen Page rides the "kick" back up through a zero-gravity hotel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. For 10 points--name this movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio about a man who invades dreams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I usually don't pick on trash questions, but man, if you've seen that movie, you will power the heck out of that question. Do you have conversion statistics on it?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Important Bird Area

6/10/0 in 16 rooms; that's a bit higher power rate than normal, but not really outrageous.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

I was wondering if I could see a tossup from IS-102 that was about the color "yellow." I think it was one of those common link tossups with mixed trash and academic clues.

EDIT: I think the tossup referred to the title of a certain play in the first sentence, and I'm curious as to what that play was.
Last edited by Erogo on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Can I see the tossup in one of the IS Sets about the state of New York? I vaguely recall being shocked that Tammany Hall was within power range.

EDIT: It was from IS-99A, I believe.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Important Bird Area

IS #102 round 6 wrote:Henry Wimbush owns the title home in a novel by Aldous Huxley whose title mentions this color. A song of this name includes the lines "your skin and bones / Turn into something beautiful" and a command to "look at the stars." In addition to that song by (*) Coldplay, this word appears in the title of a 1968 animated film about a watercraft. For 10 points--name this word that describes a "submarine" in a Beatles song.

answer: _Yellow_ (accept _Crome Yellow_; accept Aldous _Huxley_ before his name is given)
IS #99A round 2 wrote:In this state the 1840s saw conflict between the Hunkers and the Barnburners, two Democratic Party factions. The Hunkers opposed Tammany Hall and were the successors of a group led by Martin Van Buren, the (*) Albany Regency. For 10 points--name this state that built the Erie Canal.
I don't have any conversion stats for this one.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Magritte and Weber tossups from IS-98, please. Thank you!
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Important Bird Area

IS #98 round 9 wrote:This artist depicted a bird cage that is wearing a cloak and hat in his painting ~The Therapist~. The suicide of his mother influenced his ~The Lovers~, while he juxtaposed a nighttime street scene with a daytime sky in ~The Empire of Lights~. His other works feature a (*) pipe with a contradictory message, men in bowler hats, and a train coming out of a fireplace. For 10 points--name this Belgian surrealist painter.
2/7/2 in 16 rooms
IS #98 round 9 also wrote:This man distinguished between three types of authority, legal, traditional, and charismatic, which develop in a pattern of increasing rationalization. He also defined a state as having a monopoly on the use of force in his work ~Politics as a (*) Vocation~. His best-known work claims that savings and investment arose out of Calvinist moral values. For 10 points--who wrote ~The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism~?
3/7/2 in 16 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Is the SCT set clear for discussion? As in, the one played at GA Tech on April 16th?
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org
Important Bird Area

Yes, it's clear, and SCT discussion can be found here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Auron

bt_green_warbler wrote:
IS #98 round 9 wrote:This artist depicted a bird cage that is wearing a cloak and hat in his painting ~The Therapist~. The suicide of his mother influenced his ~The Lovers~, while he juxtaposed a nighttime street scene with a daytime sky in ~The Empire of Lights~. His other works feature a (*) pipe with a contradictory message, men in bowler hats, and a train coming out of a fireplace. For 10 points--name this Belgian surrealist painter.
2/7/2 in 16 rooms
This is pretty good, but wouldn't a Magritte question be better that literally mentioned the titles "Time Transfixed" and/or "The Son of Man" and/or "The Treachery of Images"? I realize that these paintings (or, at least, parts of them) were described, but some players who basically have knowledge of titles should at least be rewarded for that miniscule knowledge if possible. I know that rewarding list knowledge isn't optimal but it'd be a shame for an art tossup to go dead - already among the least-converted tossups in high school - because an important title or two weren't mentioned.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Important Bird Area

It doesn't really help:
IS #90 round 10 wrote:One of this man's paintings shows an egg inside a cage; another shows a cannon in front of a wall divided into four very different quadrants, ~On the Threshold of Liberty~. A third canvas has an apple hovering in front of a man's (*) face, while hundreds of men in bowler hats fall from the sky in ~Golconda~. ~The Treachery of Images~, with its tantalizing caption "This is not a pipe," is by--for 10 points--which Belgian surrealist?
2/0/2 in 10 rooms
IS #81 round 10 wrote:This artist painted a man facing a mirror that incorrectly reflects his back, rather than his front, in ~Not To Be Reproduced~, and showed a canvas with a seascape that lines up seamlessly with the shore as seen through a rounded arch in ~The Human Condition~. ~Golconda~ shows dozens of hovering (*) men in bowler hats, and his ~The Treachery of Images~ is not a pipe. For 10 points--name this Belgian surrealist.
0/0/0 in 7 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Auron

That's a shame, then.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

The Kirchoff and Directory tossups from IS-98, please?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Important Bird Area

IS #98 round 9 wrote:The second of these requires a carrier to have the same potential energy once it returns to its starting place, thereby maintaining energy conservation. That second law also shows that components connected in parallel must have identical (*) voltage drops. The first ensures conservation of charge and is called the "junction rule." For 10 points--identify these laws of circuit analysis named for a German physicist.

answer: _Kirchhoff_'s circuit _laws_ or _Kirchhoff_'s _laws_ of circuit analysis
0/8/9 in 15 rooms

I don't believe that there was a Directory tossup in the 2010-11 IS sets. (most recently: 2011 SCT and IS #95 from spring 2010)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rikku

bt_green_warbler wrote:
0/8/9 in 15 rooms
In hindsight, that seems quite fraudable if you realize they're talking about electrical laws dealing with circuits early on, without knowing what Kirchoff's laws actually say.
bt_green_warbler wrote:]I don't believe that there was a Directory tossup in the 2010-11 IS sets. (most recently: 2011 SCT and IS #95 from spring 2010)
Maybe it was a tossup on the Consulate or the Committee of Public then, but I could be conflating the set with the 2011 SCT questions that were in the war/stats room at the Ottawa SCT that I staffed.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
IS #98 round 9 wrote:The second of these requires a carrier to have the same potential energy once it returns to its starting place, thereby maintaining energy conservation. That second law also shows that components connected in parallel must have identical (*) voltage drops. The first ensures conservation of charge and is called the "junction rule." For 10 points--identify these laws of circuit analysis named for a German physicist.

answer: _Kirchhoff_'s circuit _laws_ or _Kirchhoff_'s _laws_ of circuit analysis
0/8/9 in 15 rooms

I don't believe that there was a Directory tossup in the 2010-11 IS sets. (most recently: 2011 SCT and IS #95 from spring 2010)
Wasn't that one I E-mailed you about, because the lead-in as played at Rowdy Raider, where those stats seem to be from, was a hose for the laws of thermodynamics? That'd explain the excessively high neg rate, which doesn't make sense in the form it's in as posted.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Important Bird Area

Plan Rubber wrote:Wasn't that one I E-mailed you about, because the lead-in as played at Rowdy Raider, where those stats seem to be from, was a hose for the laws of thermodynamics? That'd explain the excessively high neg rate, which doesn't make sense in the form it's in as posted.
It is (so safe to ignore the neg stats). Original text:
The second of these disallows a perpetual motion machine by showing that a carrier must have the same potential energy once it returns to its starting place. That second law also shows that components connected in parallel must have identical (*) voltage drops. The first ensures conservation of charge and is called the "junction rule." For 10 points--identify these laws of circuit analysis named for a German physicist.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rikku

Plan Rubber wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:

0/8/9 in 15 rooms

Wasn't that one I E-mailed you about, because the lead-in as played at Rowdy Raider, where those stats seem to be from, was a hose for the laws of thermodynamics? That'd explain the excessively high neg rate, which doesn't make sense in the form it's in as posted.
I remember at BOKCHOI, Lisgar's top three teams all negged with laws of thermodynamics. I remember it started off with something about the second one of these prohibits perpetual motion or something, but I could be remembering wrong.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the post above. My first sentence still stands.
Patrick Liao
Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

Can you please post the tossups on the Battle of Dien bien phu (is-102) and Red Dead Redemption (is-105)?

And I have a question regarding the tossup on Texas that was posted above. Could I lodge a protest if I were to receive a neg after buzzing in with "Mississippi" before the mentioning of "Don McElroy?" I ask this because Rod Paige spent most of his teaching career in Houston, but he was actually born in Mississippi.

*edited for redundancy
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
Important Bird Area

IS #102 round 5 wrote:The losing commander at this battle was Christian de Castries. This battle led to the Geneva Conference, which created a border at the 17th parallel that divided the colony this battle took place in. Vo Nguyen Giap's (*) Viet Minh forces cut off all roads leading to the site of this battle, a fortress near the border of Laos. For 10 points--name this 1954 battle which saw the French defeated in Vietnam.
3/13/3 in 24 rooms
IS #105 round 8 wrote:This game had a zombie-themed expansion pack, ~Undead Nightmare~, released as DLC, and it features multiplayer modes like Hold Your Own and Gold Rush. The main character of this game pursues Bill Williamson and Dutch (*) van der Linde, and this Rockstar game ends with Edgar Ross killed by the protagonist's son. For 10 points--name this western video game, which features John Marston.
18/9/10 in 30 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Erogo wrote:And I have a question regarding the tossup on Texas that was posted above. Could I lodge a protest if I were to receive a neg after buzzing in with "Mississippi" before the mentioning of "Don McElroy?" I ask this because Rod Paige spent most of his teaching career in Houston, but he was actually born in Mississippi.
That certainly appears to be a legitimate protest; I'll change the phrasing in our archive.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

May I see the Boston Massacre tossup from IS 102?
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Can I see the tossups on phalanx from IS-105?
Joe
Delaware
Important Bird Area

IS #102 round 3 wrote:It began on King Street when Private Hugh White got into a dispute with a wigmaker's apprentice outside the Custom House. Henry Pelham memorialized this event in an engraving later sensationalized by Paul Revere. It ended when soldiers under (*) Captain Thomas Preston fired into a jeering crowd, killing five Bostonians. For 10 points--name this 1770 skirmish leading to the death of Crispus Attacks by British troops.
IS #104 round 4 wrote:Peltasts were contrasted with these military units, whose tendency to drift to the right was checked by an officer called the ouragos. The Battle of Magnesia saw a successor to this unit defeated once its Seleucid support fell, and (*) Epaminondas added a deep "hammerhead" to the left side of this formation. For 10 points--name this eighty-man spear-wielding formation which dominated the military of ancient Greece.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

bt_green_warbler wrote:
IS #104 round 4 wrote:Peltasts were contrasted with these military units, whose tendency to drift to the right was checked by an officer called the ouragos. The Battle of Magnesia saw a successor to this unit defeated once its Seleucid support fell, and (*) Epaminondas added a deep "hammerhead" to the left side of this formation. For 10 points--name this eighty-man spear-wielding formation which dominated the military of ancient Greece.
Is it just me or should this really have said accept hoplite. It doesn't tell you it is looking for a formation until the very end. This screwed me over because I buzzed very early with Hoplite and was negged and this was in a round where the game went until the very last tossup. If you are going to want the formation as opposed to the independent unit, wouldn't that have been better to state from the beginning so there is no ambiguity?
Joe
Delaware
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:
Is it just me or should this really have said accept hoplite. It doesn't tell you it is looking for a formation until the very end. This screwed me over because I buzzed very early with Hoplite and was negged and this was in a round where the game went until the very last tossup. If you are going to want the formation as opposed to the independent unit, wouldn't that have been better to state from the beginning so there is no ambiguity?
It looks to me like Hoplite could be accepted in the first line, but the Phalanx's tendency to drift to the right due to shield position rules out Hoplite for the clue.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Inkana7 wrote:
Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:
It looks to me like Hoplite could be accepted in the first line, but the Phalanx's tendency to drift to the right due to shield position rules out Hoplite for the clue.
True but the phalanx's units would also drift. They also said this unit, which to me would mean the individual soldier compared to the formation, just the same as legionaire is to century, or maniple, etc
Joe
Delaware
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Yeah, hoplite looks at least acceptable for the entire first sentence (and maybe more, I don't know the Magnesia clue). It even looks like a better answer than phalanx off the peltast clue, as a peltast is a unit, not a formation.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
No Electricity Required
Wakka

I almost certainly would have negged the tossup with hoplite at the peltast clue because of the word unit. I'm not sure of a better alternitive since formation would be very transparent. If I were tossing it up i would probably call it an entity, but i don't think that's ideal either.
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
Important Bird Area

I've usually seen "hoplite" used to refer to an individual soldier and "phalanx" used for the formation he fought in. For instance:
Victor Davis Hanson, The Western Way of War p. 27 wrote:a round wooden shield some three feet in diameter, the hoplon, so radically different in concept from its cowhide predecessor that it was from this piece of equipment that the infantryman eventually derived his name, "hoplite."
Does anyone have a source using "hoplite" for a group? If so, I'll change this to "also accept."
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

bt_green_warbler wrote:I've usually seen "hoplite" used to refer to an individual soldier and "phalanx" used for the formation he fought in. For instance:
Victor Davis Hanson, The Western Way of War p. 27 wrote:a round wooden shield some three feet in diameter, the hoplon, so radically different in concept from its cowhide predecessor that it was from this piece of equipment that the infantryman eventually derived his name, "hoplite."
Does anyone have a source using "hoplite" for a group? If so, I'll change this to "also accept."
Well, I think what some of the players were saying is that "unit" (which the question uses for a while) doesn't have to mean group. It could refer to the individual soldier.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Could I please see....

Saul Bellow from IS-96? Shahadah (sp?) and "vini-vidi-vici from Is-102? and "equestrian" from IS-103A?

Thank you.
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13

Developer of Neg5
Important Bird Area

IS #96 round 2 wrote:In one novel by this author, Albert Corde travels to Romania with his wife. Another of his title characters is guided by Romilayu and befriends the chief of a Wariri village. This novelist of ~The Dean's December~ and ~Henderson the (*) Rain King~ also wrote about Tommy Wilhelm in ~Seize the Day~. For 10 points--name this Nobel Prize-winning author of ~Herzog~ and ~The Adventures of Augie March~.
1/9/1 in 29 rooms
IS #102 round 1 wrote:The first word refers to a rapid northward march after the Battle of the Nile toward Cappadocia. The second involved observing the territory around Zela in Pontus, a kingdom of northern Turkey, and taking in the forces of (*) Pharnaces II. The third referred to the obliteration of those forces by the legions of Julius Caesar. For 10 points--give this three-word, Latin campaign report meaning, "I came, I saw, I conquered."
0/23/3 in 24 rooms
IS #103A round 11 wrote:The statue of Richard I outside Parliament, that of Peter the Great by Etienne Maurice Falconet, that of Marcus Aurelius on the (*) Capitoline Hill, and that of the mercenary Gattamelata by Donatello are--for 10 points--what kind of work depicting a military leader astride his horse?
(no conversion data reported)

There doesn't appear to be a shahada question in IS #102; this is the only such question in the 2010-11 sets:
IS #99A round 1 wrote:The basic Islamic declaration of belief begins, "There is no god but Allah." For 10 points each--

A. It finishes by asserting that this founder of Islam "is the messenger of God."

answer: _Muhammad_

B. That declaration is one of this quintet of duties required of every Muslim, which also includes daylight fasting during Ramadan.

answer: Five _Pillars_ of Islam

C. This is the Arabic name of that creed.

answer: _shahada_ (accept _kalima_)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

No Electricity Required
Wakka

Tower Monarch wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:I've usually seen "hoplite" used to refer to an individual soldier and "phalanx" used for the formation he fought in. For instance:
Well, I think what some of the players were saying is that "unit" (which the question uses for a while) doesn't have to mean group. It could refer to the individual soldier.
This is what I was in fact saying. As you say unit can be both individual and group, although I've always associated the word unit with a singular connotation (this is partly due to my growing up playing RTS games; in this particular case I would have been really been fooled because I used to play a game that had a unit called the hoplite).
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Woops. By shahada I meant Hadith. Thanks.
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13

Developer of Neg5