DC/MD/VA/DE Date Claim '11-'12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: DC/MD/VA/DE Date Claim '11-'12

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

RyuAqua wrote:More substantive content for GDS: Has anyone in the region used HSAPQ Tournament-22 yet? If so, what portion of the area hasn't yet heard IS-109 or wouldn't hear IS-113?
My reading of the thread suggests that all three of those are currently available for the greater mid-atlantic region.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

While looking for a set for a potential Spring tournament at VT, I was told by Carsten that parts of Tourn-22 may overlap with VHSL and probably wouldn't be a good choice for anyone looking to include VA teams.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The Motley Eye wrote:While looking for a set for a potential Spring tournament at VT, I was told by Carsten that parts of Tourn-22 may overlap with VHSL and probably wouldn't be a good choice for anyone looking to include VA teams.
This is not true--while some of T22 is used to create extra VHSL packets for a very specific district or two, it's done because teams in those districts don't ever play invitationals. There is no overlap between the VHSL set heard by 90% of the state and Tournament 22, so T22 is available to the first host in the Mid-Atlantic who wants it. We will confirm that none of the teams who heard the extra VHSL packets are attending your tournament if you are interested.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

RyuAqua wrote:More substantive content for GDS: Has anyone in the region used HSAPQ Tournament-22 yet? If so, what portion of the area hasn't yet heard IS-109 or wouldn't hear IS-113?
IS #109: nearest uses were Kellenberg, Carnegie Mellon, and Duke. So this would be fine for a DC-area tournament; probably not a good choice if GDS is intending a more regional event that might attract New Jersey/Pennsylvania/North Carolina teams.

IS #113 is the new set for Charter's February tournament, so not a good choice for DC period if there is anything else available.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

The Delaware History Bowl will be run on NHBB set B at Charter on January 14th
Joe
Delaware
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

I contacted Carsten Gehring about an HSAPQ set for our tournament in February. He gave me the same warning about HT-22. However, if it is not really a problem at all, as Matt Weiner seemed to say, then we will probably end up using that set. I will try to confirm this with HSAPQ within the week.

Edit:I just received confirmation from Carsten. GDS will use HT-22 at its tournament on February 4.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB is switching its B set tournament at School Without Walls to Feb. 11. We're sorry for the conflict with Charter; the school wasn't going to work out on Jan. 7. That said, Charter is a 2 hour drive from DC, so they're not right on top of each other. DC area schools also have the DC Championships on A set at St. Anselm's on March 17 as well.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Delaware will officially be hosting the Blue Hen Invitational on 3/10, and we're using IS-115.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

mastaloo wrote:Delaware will officially be hosting the Blue Hen Invitational on 3/10, and we're using IS-115.
Thank you for making this official.

I sent a message to Joe and Bohan, but do we have any idea when we can try to make Delaware NAQT states happen? There are just not many available weekends. I can forward you the e-mail of my thoughts about it, if you wish, since i know that Mark and Tressler and other UD-ish people have helped out in the past.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Sounds good, my email is [email protected].
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:
mastaloo wrote:Delaware will officially be hosting the Blue Hen Invitational on 3/10, and we're using IS-115.
Thank you for making this official.

I sent a message to Joe and Bohan, but do we have any idea when we can try to make Delaware NAQT states happen? There are just not many available weekends. I can forward you the e-mail of my thoughts about it, if you wish, since i know that Mark and Tressler and other UD-ish people have helped out in the past.
sorry about this. I pretty much fell off the face of the earth during finals. I'll make sure to get on this
Joe
Delaware
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

Is there any chance that there will be an NAQT state championship for DC/MD this year? If I have missed the tournament on the calendar, I apologize for my negligence.
Jared Cowan
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Maryland would like to claim April 14 for its Spring Housewrite.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Whoops, apparently that's been claimed. We're moving this to May 5th. Yes, we're aware this is before AP Tests. We're sorry.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Important Bird Area

jlchockey94 wrote:Is there any chance that there will be an NAQT state championship for DC/MD this year? If I have missed the tournament on the calendar, I apologize for my negligence.
No one has yet bid for this, but I certainly hope that it happens.

Edit: how would March 24th work? the only two events on the calendar for that date are NAQT Virginia states (different field) and BHSAT (six hours' drive from DC and no area teams are currently registered; Matt, have any of the Maryland or DC teams expressed interest? I don't want to drive teams out of your field, but it seems likely that a DC-area team willing to travel to Yale has probably already qualified for HSNCT somewhere.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

GDS would like to tentatively claim May 19th for a housewrite.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
jlchockey94 wrote:Is there any chance that there will be an NAQT state championship for DC/MD this year? If I have missed the tournament on the calendar, I apologize for my negligence.
No one has yet bid for this, but I certainly hope that it happens.

Edit: how would March 24th work? the only two events on the calendar for that date are NAQT Virginia states (different field) and BHSAT (six hours' drive from DC and no area teams are currently registered; Matt, have any of the Maryland or DC teams expressed interest? I don't want to drive teams out of your field, but it seems likely that a DC-area team willing to travel to Yale has probably already qualified for HSNCT somewhere.)
St. Anselm's has volunteered to mirror BHSAT for the DC-area (Virginia inclusive) on Saturday, April 14, pending a final sign-off from Aidan - look for more info from him on that soon.

With that said, we certainly encourage any Maryland or DC teams interested in attending the main site of BHSAT to make the trip - as the field continues to grow in strength, it should become an especially worthwhile experience for those who want to play against the best northeasterly competitiors (and the trip isn't prohibitively expensive, with Bolt Bus from Union Station to New York and MetroNorth the rest of the way being particularly inexpensive).
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

RM claims February 25th for a tournament on the TP/RM Set. If VHSL states is that day, does that mean the likes of TJ will not make it?
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

For all future tournaments, it would be a good idea to invite as many teams as possible. A google docs spreadsheet of all It's Academic participating schools is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... mFHcXdya2c
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
The Goffman Prophecies

Virginia Tech would like to tentatively reserve April 21 for a tournament TBA on IS-112A. I don't think we have to worry too much about overlap with Caesar Rodney's tournament on that date.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Dan,

I don't know if it will make much of a difference or not, but I believe that is the weekend of the VT Spring football game.

Matt
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Important Bird Area

I am pleased to report that Oakland Mills High School will be hosting the NAQT Maryland/DC state championship on March 24th.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

Can someone link SWAGFEST to the schedule on Feb 25th?
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
Important Bird Area

Done.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

The Goffman Prophecies

mithokie wrote:Dan,

I don't know if it will make much of a difference or not, but I believe that is the weekend of the VT Spring football game.

Matt
It is, but the game doesn't start until 4pm and we'll be on the other side of campus from the stadium. I don't think there should be much of a conflict.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Post by alinktothefuture »

Maggie Walker would like to reserve April 7 for a tournament on a set to be determined.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
Maggie Walker '13 | MIT '17, '2X
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

VCU would like to claim March 10th for the VCU Spring Tournament on a collaboration with the Ohio State University.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

It might be a good idea to add the following It's Academic taping dates (Bold designates dates that conflict with tournaments in the area).

Washington Quarterfinals: February 4, March 3, April 28.
Washington Semis: May 5.
Washington Finals: May 12.

Baltimore Quarters: March 17, April 14.
Baltimore Semis and Final: April 21.

Superbowl: May 12.

These dates don't include the Central Virginia tapings.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Auron

Pushkin's Beard wrote:GDS would like to tentatively claim May 19th for a housewrite.
What kind of housewrite is this going to be? Solely by GDS? Collaborated with other schools? We're interested in this as it's the only thing in May we'd have the opportunity to attend, other than (hopefully) Nationals.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

The tournament listed as NHBB Maryland at RM should be replaced with NHBB DC at St. Anselm's, to be held on that same date.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Important Bird Area

Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

The housewrite at GDS will probably include questions from the Class of 2011 set, if Tanay and Daniel ever invite me to their Google Doc.
Jared Cowan
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

jlchockey94 wrote:The housewrite at GDS will probably include questions from the Class of 2011 set, if Tanay and Daniel ever invite me to their Google Doc.
How far along is this set? You've probably heard murmurs of this, but the number of high school sets out there has become a needless drain on manpower and field strength. I understand that you've had this in the works for a while, but I think that it might be better to mirror RAVE (which has no DC site) this year and save what you've written for next year.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

Most of the questions have been written. However, we still have to edit the set. We are probably going to run it in May, but if we decide to wait until next year, what other sets are available now that RM has used RAVE?
Jared Cowan
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Yesterday the idea of using the DII SCT was floated. Centennial's ATTACK should be available as well.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Auron

RyuAqua wrote:Yesterday the idea of using the DII SCT was floated. Centennial's ATTACK should be available as well.
DII SCT would be nice, since we would love the preparation for HSNCT the next week (that is, if NAQT accepts our wildcard bid...).
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Post by alinktothefuture »

alinktothefuture wrote:Maggie Walker would like to reserve April 7 for a tournament on a set to be determined.
Because of difficulties with reserving the building, Maggie Walker is rescheduling its tournament for May 12. The tournament will be a mirror of Centennial's ATTACK set.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
Maggie Walker '13 | MIT '17, '2X
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

RyuAqua wrote:Yesterday the idea of using the DII SCT was floated. Centennial's ATTACK should be available as well.
I don't know if this is still the case, but I recall in the past that DII SCT shared questions with an IS set.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Howard wrote:
I don't know if this is still the case, but I recall in the past that DII SCT shared questions with an IS set.
This has not been the case for multiple years.

Anyway, VCU will not be running the Mid-Atlantic Championships this year, so if someone else wants to run that tournament (or the DII SCT set in general) please go ahead and do so.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Important Bird Area

Howard wrote:I don't know if this is still the case, but I recall in the past that DII SCT shared questions with an IS set.
The last SCT for which this was the case was 2007 (shared with IS #66). This feature will not return (due to the increasing number of high school teams interested in playing SCT questions).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

alinktothefuture wrote:
alinktothefuture wrote:Maggie Walker would like to reserve April 7 for a tournament on a set to be determined.
Because of difficulties with reserving the building, Maggie Walker is rescheduling its tournament for May 12. The tournament will be a mirror of Centennial's ATTACK set.
Bumping to note that this is not reflected in the calendar in the initial post of the thread.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Important Bird Area

Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

Also I think that Maryland Spring was moved to Sunday the 6th instead of the 5th as it is now listed.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
Auron

I will ask this again, for what feels like the 5th or 6th time.

Is GDS holding a tournament on May 19th? If so, is it being run on the NAQT DII set?

If so, please post an announcement for it and confirm the whispers through the grapevine that are all i've heard so far. We would love to play this tournament.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

GDS is planning on hosting the 2012 Ben Cooper Memorial Tournament on May 19, 2012, using NAQT's DII SCT set. I will post a tournament announcement momentarily. We will use 20/20 rounds, untimed, without computational math (I don't remember if there is comp math in the SCT set, but if there is, it won't be used). Teams that are attending national tournaments this year are especially encouraged to attend this tournament as the Maryland tournament, which is usually a more difficult tournament which prepares teams for nationals, is being run at a lower difficulty this year. Of course, teams of all levels of experience are encouraged to play this tournament.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Georgetown Day School 2012
Brown University 2016
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

DII SCT doesn't have computational math in the set, so you should be good with that.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Hey guys. I'd like to apologise for not updating the list over the past few months. Also, thank you Jeff Hoppes for keeping it maintained during my absence.

Also, I went ahead and added links to all the remaining tournaments.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food