Should finals packets be harder than the prelims?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Should finals packets be harder than the prelims?

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Split from the GSAC announcement thread --Mgmt.
SoHo wrote:The set will contain 12 packets, with the last two rounds being harder in difficulty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuN1D6Np1y8
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: GSAC XIX at Maggie Walker (12/3/11) - Seeking Mirrors

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

This tournament was hard, but fun, and we'll try our best to come back to it again this year.
SoHo wrote:The set will contain 12 packets, with the last two rounds being harder in difficulty.
But, yeah, i wish this wouldn't happen.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Longstride
Lulu

Post by Longstride »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:This tournament was hard, but fun, and we'll try our best to come back to it again this year.
The last two rounds assumed to be the finals, what is the problem about this?
Venu Katta
Clover Hill High School '13
College of William & Mary '17

"Having hit a wall, the next logical step is to not bang our heads against it." - Stephen Harper
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Longstride wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:This tournament was hard, but fun, and we'll try our best to come back to it again this year.
The last two rounds assumed to be the finals, what is the problem about this?
It forces the tournament (and any potential mirrors) to be limited in the non-finals rounds to using no more than 10 packets, and only 9 if you want to play any potential tiebreakers on a the same difficulty as the rest of the tournament. This can mean having to do logistical gymnastics as teams register and drop out at the last minute (as is very often the case in quizbowl).
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

It negatively impacts the results of finals at sites where the teams might not be as good as at the main site too. In Missouri, we had basically normal scores throughout the playoffs where the top 2 teams were putting up 300-400 points in each game, then in the finals the score was 290-165 or so, and the third place game was decided on a score of 105-95 among teams who could also all hit 300 in most games but weren't at all prepared for the increased difficulty. It really did a disservice to the teams in our top 4, and was frankly the worst thing about the set last year.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Khanate
Lulu

Post by Khanate »

I don't see much of a problem with increasing finals difficulty if its only the clues that are increasing in difficulty. I understand that the results of the finals could be skewed if the answer difficulty goes up significantly, but whats wrong with a difficult tossup on Hemingway or Neptune?
Adil Khan
Chattahoochee '11
Duke Dec '15
NAQT writer
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Khanate wrote:I don't see much of a problem with increasing finals difficulty if its only the clues that are increasing in difficulty. I understand that the results of the finals could be skewed if the answer difficulty goes up significantly, but whats wrong with a difficult tossup on Hemingway or Neptune?
Usually, when finals questions are made that much harder, this is not the case.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think I would be okay with finals questions perhaps written a tick longer, knowing it would have to gradate knowledge between the two best teams. I would also be okay with not explicitly setting out to write harder, but moving harder questions that appear in other packets. The problem I have seen is when finals packets are explicitly harder they become very very hard.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Cheynem wrote:but moving harder questions that appear in other packets
This almost always results in the exact same thing as purposefully making the Finals packets harder because it encourages people not to choose difficulty appropriate answers (for the tournament) due to the rationale that it can be moved to the Finals if it is too hard.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would definitely agree that no questions should be intentionally selected or written as harder than the others.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:It forces the tournament (and any potential mirrors) to be limited in the non-finals rounds to using no more than 10 packets, and only 9 if you want to play any potential tiebreakers on a the same difficulty as the rest of the tournament. This can mean having to do logistical gymnastics as teams register and drop out at the last minute (as is very often the case in quizbowl).
While I certainly think some arguments in this thread are persuasive, I don't really understand this one. A twelve-packet tournament can use no more than ten rounds for non-finals in whatever case, since finals need to happen (unless you want the lower brackets to be playing matches during the finals, which you can do with ten team tournaments doing a 4/6 split, for example, but you don't get that circumstance often), and if you're reserving a packet for tiebreakers it already can't be a finals packet unless you are somehow sure that a team in a tiebreaker for making the top bracket won't make it to the finals (a risky assertion). Unless this refers exclusively to tiebreakers for final rank (i.e., in the top bracket, you might want to play a final match and a match to resolve a tie for fifth, and you might want to do so on the same packet).

While the other arguments here are good arguments against harder final difficulty, George's arguments are good arguments for writing longer tournament sets. HFT for the past three years has been fifteen, sixteen, and sixteen rounds. There are plenty of field sizes that our set length could not satisfy, but they're uncommon as anything. If they so desired, teams even had the leeway to not use the final packets at all--if they did that, they'd still have had twelve additional packets to use for nonfinals rounds. That's overkill, of course, but short sets require short tournaments or a lot of tiebreaker-related luck; neither is a good bet.
Andrew Watkins

Re: Should finals packets be harder than the rest of the tournam

I don't understand why people are seemingly so unconcerned about the fact that by intentionally producing certain packets a different way than the rest of an event, they weaken the continuity and logical results of all the matches for the tournament. The goal of an event should be to determine the team that plays best on whatever particular style of packets the set chooses to use as its overall goal, and by changing that for 2, or 6, or whatever number of rounds editors do that with, it makes those games inconsistent and less meaningful. I vehemently reject the idea that tournaments should switch gears partway through in the name of a completely nebulous, undefinable, and wrong belief that "harder=realer=better for the important games."

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:It forces the tournament (and any potential mirrors) to be limited in the non-finals rounds to using no more than 10 packets, and only 9 if you want to play any potential tiebreakers on a the same difficulty as the rest of the tournament. This can mean having to do logistical gymnastics as teams register and drop out at the last minute (as is very often the case in quizbowl).
While I certainly think some arguments in this thread are persuasive, I don't really understand this one. A twelve-packet tournament can use no more than ten rounds for non-finals in whatever case, since finals need to happen (unless you want the lower brackets to be playing matches during the finals, which you can do with ten team tournaments doing a 4/6 split, for example, but you don't get that circumstance often), and if you're reserving a packet for tiebreakers it already can't be a finals packet unless you are somehow sure that a team in a tiebreaker for making the top bracket won't make it to the finals (a risky assertion). Unless this refers exclusively to tiebreakers for final rank (i.e., in the top bracket, you might want to play a final match and a match to resolve a tie for fifth, and you might want to do so on the same packet).

While the other arguments here are good arguments against harder final difficulty, George's arguments are good arguments for writing longer tournament sets. HFT for the past three years has been fifteen, sixteen, and sixteen rounds. There are plenty of field sizes that our set length could not satisfy, but they're uncommon as anything. If they so desired, teams even had the leeway to not use the final packets at all--if they did that, they'd still have had twelve additional packets to use for nonfinals rounds. That's overkill, of course, but short sets require short tournaments or a lot of tiebreaker-related luck; neither is a good bet.
I actually find George's argument to be the only convincing one in the entire thread. The reality is that most quizbowl writers are not particularly prolific, and, further, suffer from procrastination so severe and so pervasive that one wonders if it is not some kind of disease that is spread by touching buzzers. Most tournaments not only will not plan to have 15-16 packets, but will actually fall short of their already-small intended number of packets, as half-written packets are combined during the panicked few days before the event. HFT should indeed be held up as a shining example for all to follow, but it's the exception.

In this reality, where you're likely to have systematic packet shortages, George's advice to not make finals harder (because they might not be used as finals at some some site) is a good prescription.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Nick
Wakka

Re: Should finals packets be harder than the prelims?

Post by Nick »

God forbid a tournament only guarantees teams 8 games.
Nick
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the proper response here, if you really want a finals packet, is:

-Set out to write as many packets as you're supposed to be writing
-Set a writing deadline that is sufficiently far enough ahead of the tournament to do editing for difficulty
-During editing, if you see questions that are too hard, quarantine them in a separate packet and make whoever wrote them write difficulty-appropriate replacements
-Fill out the quarantine packet(s) to the correct distribution create a finals packet, should you want one

No matter how well you think you're controlling difficulty, you're probably not. It's better to move too-hard questions to a separate packet than to delete them entirely.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Longstride
Lulu

Re: Should finals packets be harder than the rest of the tournam

Post by Longstride »

I do see the point here. Going over 2010 GSAC results (http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings); there seemed to be a sharp dropoff on the playing skill in the finals. TJ A which was regularly posting 400-500 points per game beat RM (also putting up ~400/ppg) by only 255-180 in the last round. Is there a legitimate case to be made that it is "better" when finals are harder or does it simply become a case where the finals are "closer" because of the difficulty preventing a high scoring run-away.
Last edited by Longstride on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venu Katta
Clover Hill High School '13
College of William & Mary '17

"Having hit a wall, the next logical step is to not bang our heads against it." - Stephen Harper
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Morraine Man wrote: In this reality, where you're likely to have systematic packet shortages, George's advice to not make finals harder (because they might not be used as finals at some some site) is a good prescription.
But if the finals packets aren't used as finals at some site, what is used as finals? Unless the mystery site's solution is to have a one-game final as the only option, no packets can be gained by making the finals packets the same difficulty. The best case scenario is that you burn one of the equal difficulty finals packets, and then you have... not enough packets to play a final on? If they're final packets, they're so called because they're intended for the finals, and in fact you cannot have a finals packet moonlight as a tiebreaker packet unless that tiebreaker cannot possibly involve teams involved in the final and takes place during the final (and what non-single elim formats play games among teams not involved in the final OR games at the same time as the final, besides the one that I already mentioned in my comment? and, again, that's a corner case).
Andrew Watkins
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:If they're final packets, they're so called because they're intended for the finals, and in fact you cannot have a finals packet moonlight as a tiebreaker packet unless that tiebreaker cannot possibly involve teams involved in the final and takes place during the final (and what non-single elim formats play games among teams not involved in the final OR games at the same time as the final, besides the one that I already mentioned in my comment? and, again, that's a corner case).
If you only have 12 rounds and need to break ties, then, yes, the finals can become tiebreakers for places below the top 2. Unless you are arguing that tournaments should only break ties that are left after the playoffs with statistics, I don't see how that could possibly call that a "corner case". In addition, plenty of tournaments break ties for a trophy place on packets instead of with statistics.
Last edited by Cody on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.

Like at our site, where the third place game was decided on a score of 105-95 by 2 teams who both averaged in the mid-200s for the rest of the tournament. I read that game, and you can't convince me that packet was anything but a disservice to both teams to break that tie.

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Like at our site, where the third place game was decided on a score of 105-95 by 2 teams who both averaged in the mid-200s for the rest of the tournament. I read that game, and you can't convince me that packet was anything but a disservice to both teams to break that tie.
Right, and I'm not disputing that. As I explicitly said in my posts, I accept the single case where the ties to which you're referring are ties for final placement, rather than, for example, prelim bracket ties. Those could sensibly be played on the finals packets, since they're already disqualified from the finals. I referred to it as a corner case because I've seen plenty of tournaments that didn't break final placement ties; I'm not saying that it's an ideal practice, but it's certainly common. It's absolutely true that

1)if you're handed a set with different-difficulty finals, you should try your hardest to play final placement rounds on packets of equal difficulty to the rest of the playoffs (and therefore to the rest of the tournament), and
2) if your set is being used at one or more tournaments where teams will play final placement rounds, you should provide plenty of rounds, not differentiate your finals difficulty, or both.
Andrew Watkins
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Khanate wrote:I don't see much of a problem with increasing finals difficulty if its only the clues that are increasing in difficulty. I understand that the results of the finals could be skewed if the answer difficulty goes up significantly, but whats wrong with a difficult tossup on Hemingway or Neptune?
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I like the last part of Adil's post. If a house-write is looking for mirrors in a region where good quizbowl is sparsely distributed, maybe tossups on Kohlberg or Savonarola aren't appropriate, but I really, really like the idea of tougher tossups on pretty common answer lines for the finals packets. I think more housewrites should do this, but that's just my opinion.
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

BlueDevil95 wrote:
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I like the last part of Adil's post. If a house-write is looking for mirrors in a region where good quizbowl is sparsely distributed, maybe tossups on Kohlberg or Savonarola aren't appropriate, but I really, really like the idea of tougher tossups on pretty common answer lines for the finals packets. I think more housewrites should do this, but that's just my opinion.
Yeah. This kind of difficulty increase shouldn't be "harder answers." It should just be harder clues inside.
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16