Illinois '11-'12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mrgsmath
Wakka

Re: Illinois '11-'12

Post by mrgsmath »

tintinnabulation wrote:
TheTeen wrote:
Do you know who the current coach is for Litchfield? I have heard nothing lately.
jonah wrote:
I think it's Amanda Lamore.
Confirmed by a Litchfield player. I'm really wondering how the coaching change/graduating seniors will affect them. David York will probably carry the team pretty far, regardless.
The problem so far is an inexperienced coach being restrained by an administration. They planned to attend the Kickoff at PORTA but were told they would have to go to Greenville due to the travel distance, but then were not entered there either due to what I have understood as the school not covering the cost for IHSSBCA membership.

They were scheduled to play at our F/S on Saturday but called at 6:00am to tell me they didn't have transportation due to a transportation mixup. (the wrestling team from Litchfield was here bright and early, and someone thought the buses were double scheduled and cancelled the Scholastic Bowl.) My concern will be that they will return to the status of a few years ago when Litchfield consistantly won Regionals but lost at Sectionals because they lacked tournament experience. (David is only a Freshman, and the Jr. High does not compete in tournaments) Hopefully they will get on track.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

I'm pretty sure David is a sophomore. I saw him playing at Masonic State last year.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

David was Class A All-State last year, and I played against him last year, so yeah, he's a sophomore.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

My bad. I meant to convey that his experience at tournament play was only as a Freshman. I should have read it closer before I submitted.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Having played more of the teams, I now feel somewhat more qualified to post a ballot, though some of these rankings are still guesses.
We've been destroyed by about every team on this list, even the ones I'm going to put below us.
Top - Main Competition here for the improving state series and actual quiz bowl.
1. IMSA A
2. Auburn - Abid is more essential to their performance than I'd realized, seeing as we beat them without him. His powers at NTV against us were jaw-dropping.
3. Carbondale
4. Loyola
Close - Very powerful teams that just don't dominate as much.
5. Macomb - We felt proud when we got the chance to neg against Tristan. It was scary.
6. Latin - Came down to the last tossup with us at NTV, so they are beatable. Still a great team.
7. Belvidere North - We haven't played them, but it sounds like it would be similar to playing Tristan, but there would be more people sitting across from us.
Strong - Will round out top brackets with upsets. All good teams.
8. IMSA B - About as scary to play as IMSA A, if Anton is on his game. We would like Sabrina back, also.
9. WWS - Maybe an overrank, but I think we'll improve. NTV was an off day.
10. New Trier - The Westbrook Method will be their victory or defeat. Unless Axe Cop steps up and starts getting some tossups.
11. Stevenson - They've taken quite a hit this year, but they're competitive.
12. Buffalo Grove - Impressive win over IMSA B. And I think they beat us. But will they go to enough tournaments to improve?
Guesses - There are plenty of qualified teams for this third tier. I've probably left some out.
13. Auburn B - They beat us.
14. Fenton - We'll see if they can compete in competitive brackets some time.
15. Wheaton North - Improving, sending 6 to ACE has to help your team. We'll see.
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but is the Dorman team from NTV from the school in South Carolina?
On the school's page on Wikipedia, it said they have a nationally recognized Quiz Bowl team.
I guess they must've flown, because people were talking about how long Seven Lakes would have to drive home.
I wonder what other tournaments they might attend.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
No Electricity Required
Wakka

thyringe_supine wrote:Sorry to get a bit off topic, but is the Dorman team from NTV from the school in South Carolina?
On the school's page on Wikipedia, it said they have a nationally recognized Quiz Bowl team.
I guess they must've flown, because people were talking about how long Seven Lakes would have to drive home.
I wonder what other tournaments they might attend.
It was the one from South Carolina.
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

I have to say that the back-and-forth between IMSA and Auburn is enjoyable. We beat them at Earlybird, they won at Loyburn, we won at Kickoffs, after winning the first game they won two in a row at HFT, and then we won at NTV. The last finals match of HFT is the best argument in favor of Auburn as #1, while IMSA's 4-3 advantage is the best argument in favor of us. I would certainly put IMSA as the favorites to repeat IHSA State, but I would expect a better performance from Auburn if nationals were held today.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

tinioril wrote:Having played more of the teams, I now feel somewhat more qualified to post a ballot, though some of these rankings are still guesses.
We've been destroyed by about every team on this list, even the ones I'm going to put below us.
Top - Main Competition here for the improving state series and actual quiz bowl.
1. IMSA A
2. Auburn - Abid is more essential to their performance than I'd realized, seeing as we beat them without him. His powers at NTV against us were jaw-dropping.
3. Carbondale
4. Loyola
Close - Very powerful teams that just don't dominate as much.
5. Macomb - We felt proud when we got the chance to neg against Tristan. It was scary.
6. Latin - Came down to the last tossup with us at NTV, so they are beatable. Still a great team.
7. Belvidere North - We haven't played them, but it sounds like it would be similar to playing Tristan, but there would be more people sitting across from us.
Strong - Will round out top brackets with upsets. All good teams.
8. IMSA B - About as scary to play as IMSA A, if Anton is on his game. We would like Sabrina back, also.
9. WWS - Maybe an overrank, but I think we'll improve. NTV was an off day.
10. New Trier - The Westbrook Method will be their victory or defeat. Unless Axe Cop steps up and starts getting some tossups.
11. Stevenson - They've taken quite a hit this year, but they're competitive.
12. Buffalo Grove - Impressive win over IMSA B. And I think they beat us. But will they go to enough tournaments to improve?
Guesses - There are plenty of qualified teams for this third tier. I've probably left some out.
13. Auburn B - They beat us.
14. Fenton - We'll see if they can compete in competitive brackets some time.
15. Wheaton North - Improving, sending 6 to ACE has to help your team. We'll see.
Despite all my comments about the westbrook method I don't actually use it. My power stats are awfully low because I don't actually buzz that often on gut feelings
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Re: IMSA vs. Auburn: I think IMSA is better on NAQT/anything with math comp, I think Auburn is a little better in mACF. Which team overall is better? It's close.

I might do a "mid-season" ballot over the next few weeks, if anything to keep away quizbowl withdrawal.

I wouldn't say NT's skill is based on whether Andrew can Westbrook, there's some legit knowledge behind a lot of his buzzes. He doesn't even neg as much as people think he does.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Okay. You win. Hearing the number of tossups you got as a number of negs instead probably led to some confusion, as 23 in 5 matches would have been pretty...awful.
My ranking is arbitrary and puts New Trier behind WWS because we're 1-1 head to head and I have high self-esteem.
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Mid-Suburban League Pre-Season Varsity Tournament Results(12/3/11) [IHSA format on NAQT]

POOL I
Round 1:
Fremd 365, Hoffman Estates 110
Prospect 290, Schaumburg 115
Rolling Meadows 335, Hersey 305
Round 2:
Schaumburg 155, Hoffman Estates 105
Rolling Meadows 400, Prospect 290
Fremd 485, Hersey 150
Round 3:
Rolling Meadows 295, Schaumburg 95
Hersey 330, Hoffman Estates 120
Prospect 375, Fremd 355
Round 4:
Fremd 475, Rolling Meadows 280
Hersey 320, Schaumburg 165
Hoffman Estates 240, Prospect 185
Round 5:
Hersey 280, Prospect 195
Rolling Meadows 560, Hoffman Estates 105
Fremd 505, Schaumburg 145

Pool II
Round 1:
Barrington 420, Conant 160
Buffalo Grove 505, Palatine 105
Elk Grove 225, Wheeling 195
Round 2:
Conant 240, Palatine 115
Buffalo Grove 435, Elk Grove 50
Barrington 500, Wheeling 105
Round 3:
Elk Grove 225, Palatine 185
Conant 250, Wheeling 70
Buffalo Grove 470, Barrington 255
Round 4:
Barrington 600, Elk Grove 35
Palatine 160, Wheeling 135
Buffalo Grove 295, Conant 115
Round 5:
Buffalo Grove 290, Wheeling 220
Elk Grove 325, Conant 140
Barrington 440 Palatine 215

Standings
Pool I
Fremd 4-1
Rolling Meadows 4-1
Hersey 3-2
Prospect 2-3
Schaumburg 1-2
Hoffman Estates 1-2

Pool II
Buffalo Grove 5-0
Barrington 4-1
Elk Grove 3-2
Conant 2-3
Palatine 1-4
Wheeling 0-5

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:
Fremd 375, Buffalo Grove 360
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FROSH/SOPH BRACKET [IHSA format on hilariously bad Question Bank]
Pool I
Round1:
Fremd 265, Hoffman Estates 140
Prospect 230, Schaumburg 145
Rolling Meadows 225, Hersey 205
Round 2:
Rolling Meadows 195, Prospect 70
Hoffman Estates 135, Schaumburg 60
Fremd 175, Hersey 145
Round 3:
Rolling Meadows 160, Schaumburg 155
Hoffman Estates 160, Hersey 90
Fremd 260, Prospect 195
Round 4:
Hersey 180, Schaumburg 65
Fremd 305, Rolling Meadows 210
Prospect 230, Hoffman Estates 180
Round 5:
Hersey 150, Prospect 105
Rolling Meadows 170 Hoffman Estates 150
Fremd wins by forfeit over Schaumburg

Pool II
Round 1:
Barrington 430, Conant 125
Buffalo Grove 425, Palatine 125
Wheeling 360, Elk Grove 40
Round 2:
Conant 170, Palatine 50
Buffalo Grove 365, Elk Grove 40
Barrington 310, Wheeling 205
Round 3:
Palatine 130, Elk Grove 15
Conant 210, Wheeling 190
Barrington 240, Buffalo Grove 190
Round 4:
Barrington 345, Elk Grove 0
Wheeling 290, Palatine 105
Conant 235, Buffalo Grove 160
Round 5:
Buffalo Grove 255, Wheeling 235
Conant 180, Elk Grove 50
Barrington 390, Palatine 140

STANDINGS
Pool I
Fremd 5-0
Rolling Meadows 4-1
Hoffman Estates 2-3
Hersey 2-3
Prospect 2-3
Schaumburg 0-5

Pool II
Barrington 5-0
Conant 4-1
Buffalo Grove 3-2
Wheeling 2-3
Palatine 1-4
Elk Grove 0-5

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Fremd 365, Barrington 185
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

On another note,does anyone know where I could find some Minnesota Novice questions to practice with?

I want to get good and ready for knight's challenge on the 7th, but much information is forthcoming, and I haven't been able to find the set yet.
James Zetterman

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Minnesota Novice is not clear as there are still sites running it.

EDIT: Assuming James is not making the world's worst attempt at cheating, I realize now he was probably asking to see previous iterations of the set. Unfortunately, there are none--it's the first time this set has been written.
Last edited by Cheynem on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Dude, studying Minnesota Novice would make you a machine at Knights Challenge, considering that's precisely the set being used that day.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

James - given that this is Minnesota Novice 1, the first and second versions of Fall Novice and/or the first version of SCOP Novice are good places to start, I'd imagine.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Oh, I see. That definitely explains why I couldn't find any from past years.
EDIT: thanks Brad
James Zetterman

Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Well I figured I would make my own rankings for midseason, seeing as I have staffed a bunch of tournaments and had a first hand experience with most (if not all of these teams).

1. IMSA A - This was a rather difficult choice as I think that they are neck and neck with Auburn for the best in the state. I give them a slight edge (not only because they have won one more tournament than Auburn, but excluding the losses to Carbondale and Loyola at Loyburn, they haven't really lost to anyone besides Auburn at other tournaments).

2. Auburn - Lloybid is pretty crazy good and they may over take IMSA at the end of the year if their support (Pandya and Filip) can get even better.

3. Loyola - I still think that Nolan, Marcel, Morgan and Ian have solidified themselves as number 3 by consistent performance throughout the year. Victories over Dorman and Carbondale at ELEGANT (I know Carbondale was missing Srinivas) and others thorughout the season give them a slight edge over Carbondale.

4. Carbondale - Ben Chametzky and co. are right at the level of Loyola and have proven to be able to beat the top 2 on occasion. I think with Srinivas coming to more tournaments (STOP GOING TO AUSTRALIA) they may be able to overtake Loyola later in the season.

5. This is kind of a crapshoot after them but at this point i'd put Macomb based on the juggernaut that is Tristan Willey. Grailing a college team at ACS Sall is just the tip of the iceberg as the tournaments that he has gone to have shown his talent and ability to be clutch in games.

6. Belvidere North - Dylan Minarik is very good at quizbowl. Seeing them at HFT Mirror and their stats at other showings have given me confidence in placing them at 6.

7. New Trier - I think Andrew Wang is pretty down on himself, since he puts up some pretty sick fake knowledge buzzes in all the games that I have seen him play. I'd say that BN and NT could be interchangeable depending on later results but for now I am confident with this placement.

8. Latin - I am probably under ranking these guys, but from what I have seen from Kling and co. they are a very good team that needs to come to more tournaments.

9. IMSA B - When they have a full team (Sabrina, Saieesh and Anton) this team has the ability to get hot and upset some really good teams. Lately, they seem to struggle in close matches with other schools as indicative of their playoff stats, but I still see them as a dangerous team capable of upsetting anyone from 3-7.

10. Stevenson - I think that Stevenson has picked up their game this season after losing Malis and Blumenfeld, especially by way of David Jin and Michael Hu.

11. Buffalo Grove - It was pretty fun reading for them at NTV and Matt and Bernard complemented each other pretty well from what I saw. Expect them to beat a good team in a coming tournament.

12. WWS - Sorry Ned, I ranked you guys a bit lower but I think you can definitely compete with if not pull one over on a IMSA B or Buffalo Grove team.

13. Auburn B - These guys have been really great team to read for and i've enjoyed seeing them get better throughout the fall. I hope to see them get even better in the spring and look forward to reading for them at other tournaments.

14. Centennial - I read for them at NTV and they had some really good buzzes. If they are able to come up North for other tournaments I can probably rank them better.

15. Wheaton North - Had to throw my alma Mater in there at the bottom. I'm glad they are going to good quizbowl tournaments and hopefully will see them at others in the spring (looks like it from what i've seen them sign up for).
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Macomb's Varsity tournament was held on good questions for the first time in its 14ish year history yesterday; it was played on the TP-RM-Bellarmine set.

Results looked like this:
1. Macomb A
2. Glenwood A
3. PORTA A
4. Moline
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

No Electricity Required wrote:Macomb's Varsity tournament was held on good questions for the first time in its 14ish year history yesterday; it was played on the TP-RM-Bellarmine set.
What were the coaches and players response to the switch to "good questions"?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
No Electricity Required
Wakka

David Riley wrote:
No Electricity Required wrote:Macomb's Varsity tournament was held on good questions for the first time in its 14ish year history yesterday; it was played on the TP-RM-Bellarmine set.
What were the coaches and players response to the switch to "good questions"?
Teams like PORTA and Glenwood were of course pleased. I didn't really hear anything negative from people, and I remember hearing plenty last year. I heard from my coach that one team did refuse to attend because of the switch in format and I presume (having heard that teams coach complaining at our F/S tournament last year) the lack of computational math. I thought people seemed satisfied overall. I did hear one moderator comment on it being nice that there wasn't a large amount of incorrect information in the questions as there had been in the past.
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

That's good to hear....seems like things are looking up! :smile:
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Chathamite
Kimahri

Post by Chathamite »

I would like to than Macomb HS for using such a great set of questions. This is one of the best set of questions we have faced all year. The Macomb team did a great job playing and it was fun meeting them in the championship match. Congratulations!
Dale Boyd
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

I'm glad to hear all this. Tristan, what did you think of the set? Is there any comparison you can make to a different set we've mutually played this year as far as difficulty goes? I'm fairly excited to play the set, as it appears that it has a pretty good collection of writers on board.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
No Electricity Required
Wakka

I thought the set was very good. They've heard the problems (all were pretty minor) that I noticed and I told them some things they might want to look at, so I think it will probably be even better when you get to hear it. I thought it felt pretty similar to OLEFIN, but with bonuses that were a slightly more difficult.
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

I would also like to compliment Macomb on a good tournament. I thought that while it did run slightly long, 8 round and lunch in 8 hours, for the first attemp at this form it was more than acceptable. There did appeaer to be a couple of duplicates in the questions, but the staff handled them well. Macomb as expected was awesome and felt happy to have my team get two tossups (trash) and a couple of bonus parts. otherwise we posted some respectable.

Tristan, will full stats be posted at some point?
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
No Electricity Required
Wakka

mrgsmath wrote:Tristan, will full stats be posted at some point?
I wish they would be, but that's something we'll have to work on getting the tournament to do for the future.
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Having been humbled quite a lot at another tournament, I would move us down to 12, put Cahlfs in at 13, move New Trier up to 6, followed by Belvidere North, Latin, IMSA B, and Buffalo Grove. Which would keep Stevenson in the same spot.
It really does depend on question providers: for some reason we seem to do much better on NAQT sets, but for the only remaining NAQT tournament (NAQT State), we'll be playing short just about every starter, so we won't really get a chance to find out.
Also, it looks like we have the ability to knock off top teams if they're missing at least one player, as evidenced by Auburn and now Loyola.
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

So I guess i'll ask the question then: Anyone hear of the results from Fremd?
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

I haven't definitively heard that it's finished...
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
DoubleAW
Lulu

Post by DoubleAW »

Edward Elric wrote:So I guess i'll ask the question then: Anyone hear of the results from Fremd?
1. Rolling Meadows
2. Wheaton North
3. Stevenson
4. Fremd
Eugene Bulkin
Adlai E. Stevenson High School '12
California Institute of Technology '16
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

From Springfield Varsity:

1. Macomb A
2. Centennial A
3. Springfield A
4. Peoria Christian A
5-8 in no order:
Jacksonville
Glenwood A
Centennnial B
PORTA A

Congrats to Tristan and Macomb for clearing the field. I feel well about how Centennial did, scoring 300 in the final which Macomb won with 365 or 375. A big thanks goes to Dave Adkins for running a solid tournament with a large field downstate. Chicago-area teams beware, don't underestimate the capability of some fantastic teams like Peoria Christian, among others.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

garciaja wrote:From Springfield Varsity:

1. Macomb A
2. Centennial A
3. Springfield A
4. Peoria Christian A
5-8 in no order:
Jacksonville
Glenwood A
Centennnial B
PORTA A

Congrats to Tristan and Macomb for clearing the field. I feel well about how Centennial did, scoring 300 in the final which Macomb won with 365 or 375. A big thanks goes to Dave Adkins for running a solid tournament with a large field downstate. Chicago-area teams beware, don't underestimate the capability of some fantastic teams like Peoria Christian, among others.
Nicely done - 300 points against Macomb is a very impressive thing! I'm looking forward to stats on this, in part because Peoria Christian's on the radar for many peoples' Members Poll ballots and I'm glad to see them play a tournament with "known teams" Macomb, Centennial, Springfield, and Glenwood. Were SQBS stats processed? Because this tournament was on an NAQT set, you can also send the scoresheets to them, right? (if Jeff is lurking, he can confirm/post the contact for that).

/is upset with himself for being a staaaaaaaatswhore, but Members Poll voting takes place next week
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Bone seeker wrote:Because this tournament was on an NAQT set, you can also send the scoresheets to them, right? (if Jeff is lurking, he can confirm/post the contact for that).
Yes, absolutely. If you'd like to send these in to add to our conversion data, please let me know and I'll send you the appropriate address.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

Dave Adkins is processing the stats through SQBS currently and should have them done sometime soon, perhaps a week or more, according to his email from earlier today.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

My team and I had a great time at the Springfield Invite yesterday. Got to meet some great teams, play some good questions. I don't know if I can convince my coach to drop one of our other tournaments and come to Springfield every year, but I hope I can. Once my teammates got used to the format they liked the tournament pretty well. I am happy with our finish and hope I can talk someone into going to some other tournament with me eventually so we can play some more "known" teams. I'm glad to hear we're on some people's radar (yeah, you were right, Coach Grant) and hope that if Fred gets the stats from yesterday we're on his radar too.

Thanks to Springfield for a great and well-run tournament.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Springfield Varsity division stats: prelims playoffs overall

Frosh-Soph division stats should be available around the end of the week or the weekend.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Having read for Glenwood A, Peoria Christian, Centennial, Springfield, and PORTA, I was impressed by the parity among the top teams. I saw PORTA take Springfield down to the wire, while Centennial needed two Chris Olsen one-line powers to beat Springfield.

Peoria Christian has two players who have seeded knowledge in some areas, but gaps you could drive a semi through. If the other 2-3 players on the A team step it up, they could make a serious run at both A titles.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Just in time for tonight's seeding meetings -- the February IHSSBCA Members Poll! The results have been emailed to all Sectional hosts, coaches of teams hosting Sectionals (in case the ADs don't open the email), and all coaches of ranked teams, so the word should be properly spread for tonight.

We'll have a more detailed results post like the last poll later in the week.
Attachments
February Members Poll.xls
(17 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

My ballot, with some sparse commentary. Line breaks = gaps between tiers.

1. IMSA A
2. Auburn A
3. Loyola A
It's a top-3 tier now, ladies and gentlemen. Loyola's won all but one of the tournaments this calendar year, including beating Auburn and IMSA (though each was missing one player, it's close to what I predicted in my last Members Poll commentary) at Huskie Bowl. Loyola's still 3rd, but they're on the rise.

4. Carbondale
5. Macomb
Macomb gave itself some distance from the rest of the pack behind them with their two great wins over Carbondale at IMSAnity@BMI.

6. Latin

7. Belvidere North
8. New Trier
9. IMSA B
I voted before IMSA B beat New Trier and Macomb at RAVE; I probably wouldn't have changed my vote. It's a question between "Andrew is capable of negging NT out of wins" versus "Anton/Sabrina/Saieesh are capable of not-buzzing in enough to cost IMSA B wins," and I prefer the aggressive play.

10. Stevenson
11. Buffalo Grove
12. Centennial
I wish Stevenson would go play more things. I've got BG up to 10 thanks to their wins at RAVE.

13. Loyola B
14. Auburn B
15. Wauconda

16. Springfield
17. Wheaton Warrenville South
18. Barrington
19. Fenton
20. Peoria Christian

Just missed, in alphabetical order: Bloomington, Glenwood, Stevenson B, Wheaton North, Woodstock Marian.
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Bone seeker wrote: 7. Belvidere North
8. New Trier
9. IMSA B
I voted before IMSA B beat New Trier and Macomb at RAVE; I probably wouldn't have changed my vote. It's a question between "Andrew is capable of negging NT out of wins" versus "Anton/Sabrina/Saieesh are capable of not-buzzing in enough to cost IMSA B wins," and I prefer the aggressive play.
The whole Saieesh never showing up thing kind of hurts too
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Bone seeker wrote:1. IMSA A
2. Auburn A
3. Loyola A
It's a top-3 tier now, ladies and gentlemen. Loyola's won all but one of the tournaments this calendar year, including beating full-strength Auburn and IMSA (as I predicted in my last Members Poll commentary) at Huskie Bowl. Loyola's still 3rd, but they're on the rise.
For the record, IMSA was not at full strength at Huskie Bowl, as we were sans Nolan, which probably would have made a difference in the two 5 point losses. But Loyola is pretty good at quizbowl, so I'm gonna let that slide.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dominator wrote:
Bone seeker wrote:1. IMSA A
2. Auburn A
3. Loyola A
It's a top-3 tier now, ladies and gentlemen. Loyola's won all but one of the tournaments this calendar year, including beating full-strength Auburn and IMSA (as I predicted in my last Members Poll commentary) at Huskie Bowl. Loyola's still 3rd, but they're on the rise.
For the record, IMSA was not at full strength at Huskie Bowl, as we were sans Nolan, which probably would have made a difference in the two 5 point losses. But Loyola is pretty good at quizbowl, so I'm gonna let that slide.
Auburn wasn't either.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Illinois History Bowl and Bee State Championships happened today. Bowl stats here and Bee stats below.

Thanks to Coach Laudermith and Fenton for hosting, and to everyone who staffed and attended! Congratulations to Champions, New Trier, and to Blake Tutt, the Bee Champion.
Attachments
Bee.xlsx
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

In case the community at large is curious, Illinois's 2012 NASAT Team is composed of Alex Kling, Lloyd Sy, Nolan Winkler, and myself.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Congrats to all of you! :party: :party: :party:
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

No Electricity Required
Wakka

@ Laird and Prince: Is the IHSA coming after either of you, or is it just me they're after?

(I'll give more details to the general public about this later after I've done some more research into what's happening.)
tristan willey
he/him or they/them
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

No Electricity Required wrote:@ Laird and Prince: Is the IHSA coming after either of you, or is it just me they're after?

(I'll give more details to the general public about this later after I've done some more research into what's happening.)
I just got out of a meeting with my AD, and we spoke to McGraw on the phone. Everything should be just fine. I'm emailing him background info right now.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Yes, I was contacted this morning as well. I am writing a report about what we did and why we thought it was okay. I think we should be okay in this case because it was a misunderstanding. I'm not sure what this means about the future, though.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

I'm forwarding you guys emails from Riley that include McGraw's actual interpretation of the rules, which should put us in the clear.