The thirty-or-zero problem (80s trash)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Coelacanth
Rikku

Re: The thirty-or-zero problem (80s trash)

Post by Coelacanth »

Tom Moore wrote: For 10 points each - identify the following pop and soul artists of the 70's and 80's:

A. This artist of "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On" was notably assailed by his father one day before his 45th birthday.
answer: Marvin _Gaye_

B. This British pop artist of "Shadow Dancing" and "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" was the youngest sibling of the brothers who went on to form The Bee Gees.
answer: Andy _Gibb_

C. This former lead singer of WHAM!, whose 1987 album Faith won the Grammy Award for "Album of the Year" released the 1984 hit "Careless Whisper".
answer: George _Michael_
This is great, except that Andy Gibb was Australian, not British. Given that he started his music career in the mid-70s, and the Bee Gees were formed in the early 60s, the phrase "went on to form" is possibly misleading.

While "Careless Whisper" was indeed recorded by a solo George Michael, it was released in the US credited to "WHAM! f/George Michael" on the theory that the American public knew who WHAM! was but had never heard of George Michael.

Aside from the above, all three of these are perfectly cromulent bonus parts, but why are they in the same bonus? If you asked me to name the (70s-80s) singer as unlike Marvin Gaye as possible, I might say George Michael. Just do a bonus on Marvin Gaye/Motown/some other Motown artist or a Gaye title or someone else shot to death by his own father.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.

Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Re: The thirty-or-zero problem (80s trash)

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:
The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote: If we eliminate "old" trash from the game, we might as well eliminate it all.
Dear NAQT, please call his bluff and do this so these inane trash threads will end.
i'm coming after you if this really goes down, Nolan.

Signed,

Nalin.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)