Buying Quizbowl Books Really Cheap!!!!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Buying Quizbowl Books Really Cheap!!!!

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Ok, since Border's is going out of business this week, I thought It would be a good idea to create a list of good books for quizbowl. They all close on the 31st, and by Thursday or Friday, all books will probably be 40% off. This sounds like a great opportunity for everyone to come together and give some names of books for people to get.

I just picked up some books that I think are really good:

The Enemies of Rome: This is a really great book for learning ancient military history and it is superbly written.
Lectures on Physics by rRichard Feynman. This is just great for learning physics in general.

Hopefully people will add to this, as I actually will probably go out and clean out the history and science sections on Friday or Saturday.
Joe
Delaware
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Buying Quizbowl Books Really Cheap!!!!

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'd say any works by Nietzche (The Antichrist, Beyond Good and Evil, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, etc.) and probably some stuff by Spinoza.

Also A People's History of the United States would be good (it's gotten me US History points), and in the same vein A Patriot's History of the United States.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Never forget about free books for Kindle.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Borders is going out of business, jeez, where I have been?

I would imagine you could score some deals on Mythology books there.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

You're still almost certainly better off going to a place like Salvation Army, a library book store, Amazon or Half-Price Books to buy quizbowl books.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Didn't I already make this topic?

Also, if your primary goal is to win quizbowl matches, reading things like The Antichrist is a dumb use of your time. Read a history of philosophy or something.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Masterpieces of World Philosophy and Masterpieces of World Literature both by Frank Magill are pretty awesome resources.
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

BlueDevil95 wrote:Masterpieces of World Philosophy and Masterpieces of World Literature both by Frank Magill are pretty awesome resources.
For what it's worth, if you have access to MasterPlots, I believe these books are a subset of that.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

I wholeheartedly recommend An Incomplete Education by Judy Jones and William Wilson. Some of it is beyond the scope of quiz bowl, but it's a fun, tongue in cheek cultural literacy guide. Also, The New York Times Guide to Cultural Literacy or something like that is also a very good reference work.
In a similar vein, I've typed up four pages of quiz bowl resources and strategies for improving team performance that I distributed at ACE Camps this summer. If anyone would like me to email them a copy let me know; by the end of August, this guide will also be posted at www.historybowl.com
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:I wholeheartedly recommend An Incomplete Education by Judy Jones and William Wilson. Some of it is beyond the scope of quiz bowl, but it's a fun, tongue in cheek cultural literacy guide. Also, The New York Times Guide to Cultural Literacy or something like that is also a very good reference work.
In a similar vein, I've typed up four pages of quiz bowl resources and strategies for improving team performance that I distributed at ACE Camps this summer. If anyone would like me to email them a copy let me know; by the end of August, this guide will also be posted at http://www.historybowl.com
An Incomplete Education is great, much more readable than most books of its ilk.

And yes please on the resources and strategies list.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

An Incomplete Education, while pretty enjoyable to read, isn't actually that good for quizbowl, since, for example, the good sections (I remember the section with profiles of various countries being very informative) are horribly out of date. Oh yeah, there's also an extended section on types of buggies, which, I'm sure, will help you dominate ACF Fall Raveloe, but might not do you too much good at, say, the UVa site.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Molvania is pretty good.

On a somewhat more credible note, however, NY Times Complete History of the World isn't a bad resource. Granted, its not as light nor humorous as Molvania, but its not bad to read.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018