2011-2012 Alabama State Provider

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Charbroil
Auron

2011-2012 Alabama State Provider

Post by Charbroil »

We are pleased to announce that Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC will be providing the questions for the 2012 Alabama Scholastic Competition Association middle school and JV state tournaments. I know that there's been a lot of complaints about the questions in past years, so we will do our utmost to make the questions strictly pyramidal and academic. Along those lines, if you're from Alabama and have any suggestions for us, or would like to join us to write questions for the tournament (especially worksheets), for this tournament, please email us at [email protected] (if you're not from Alabama, but have suggestions for us, you are, of course, also welcome to contact us).
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Re: 2011-2012 Alabama State Provider

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

To add information to this post, Jim Sanford, who has previously authored numerous Bevill State tournaments and has been writing since 1999, will be the provider for this year's High School tournament questions.

Teams wishing to get an early look at material from either of these providers are encouraged to attend this year's "Fun Tourneys" or to come to the annual convention in October. Dates are TBA.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

http://www.dbtech.net/asca/resources.html

Why is Questions Unlimited a "sponsor" of ASCA?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

College Park Spyders wrote:http://www.dbtech.net/asca/resources.html

I've actually asked ASCA what being a "sponsor" even means, was told that they'd let me know, and was never informed. I'm going to assume it's something fairly meaningless, given that even members of ASCA I talked to had no idea.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Charbroil wrote:
College Park Spyders wrote:http://www.dbtech.net/asca/resources.html

I've actually asked ASCA what being a "sponsor" even means, was told that they'd let me know, and was never informed. I'm going to assume it's something fairly meaningless, given that even members of ASCA I talked to had no idea.

"Sponsorship" in ASCA dates back to earlier days of the organization, when we actually received funding from private groups in the form of contributions, or received donations of questions, supplies, or "in-kind" services in exchange for name billing as sponsors at our state event. As you might imagine, funding is tight for quiz bowl.

Today, companies that donate drill materials or goods to be used as door prizes at the annual conference or that offer us the use of buzzer sets for the state tournament are considered sponsors.

I hope that this clarifies the issue.
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

For the Middle School Tournament, NAQT has now been designated the official question provider. We appreciate their willingness to work with us at a late date.
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
BucsMath
Lulu

Post by BucsMath »

I have no experience with middle school questions written by NAQT or Olympia, but at first glance it seems like this is a major improvement to Alabama quizbowl starting at the earliest stages. Hopefully this will make the transition from middle school ASCA to high school competition a much gentler learning curve. I remember hating NAQT my freshman year because the massive canon expansion and the style change left me completely bewildered.
Justin Tarbox
Hoover High School '10
University of Alabama '14