FAcT VII (10/22/11) at Yale (New Haven, CT)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

FAcT VII (10/22/11) at Yale (New Haven, CT)

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Yale Student Academic Competitions is pleased to announce that the 7th annual Fall Academic Tournament (FAcT) will take place on Yale's campus on Saturday, October 22, 2011. The tournament, which will be untimed, will be run on an NAQT A-level packet set using NAQT rules. The tournament will use IS-110A, for which we have geographic exclusivity for the states of Connecticut and Rhode Island, as well as New York City.

Teams that finish in the top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for NAQT's HSNCT 2012 (High School National Championship Tournament), held on the weekend of May 26th in Atlanta, Georgia. We are also seeking affiliation with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE), which would allow teams to qualify for their National Scholastics Championship at Washington University in Saint Louis, Missouri on June 9-10, 2012.

In-person registration will begin at 8:30 AM with the first round beginning by 9:30 AM. The tournament will take place in the Hall of Graduate Studies (HGS) on Yale's main campus. Fees and registration information for the tournament are as follows:

Base fee: $80
Working buzzer system: -$10 each
Moderator: -$5 each
Additional teams: -$5 each
(-$5 second team, -$10 third team, etc.)
Minimum fee per team: $60

Checks made out to Y. Student Academic Competitions (not "Yale Student Academic Competitions") can be sent out to YSAC, P.O. Box 204600, New Haven, CT 06520 or given to us on the day of the tournament.

If you would like to register your high school or have any questions about FAcT, please email BOTH the president of YSAC, John Lawrence, at john.lawrence@yale.edu, and me (Matt Jackson) at matthew.jackson@yale.edu; I will be directing FAcT on the day of the tournament itself.

Registered field:
Norwich Free Academy (1)
Regional School District 16 (Prospect, CT) (2)
Cheshire HS (1)
E.O. Smith HS (2)
Hingham HS (MA) (2)
Terryville HS (1)
Simsbury (1)
Suffield (2)
State College HS (PA) (2)
Newtown HS (1)
Half Hollow Hills West (2)
Old Saybrook HS (2)
Nathan Hale-Ray High School
Total: 20 teams

Waitlist
Newtown B

With as many as 20 teams attending, the field for FAcT is currently closed. I will be maintaining a waitlist if it turns out team numbers fluctuate back down, but we only have rooms for 20 teams to play at the same time.

We look forward to seeing teams from all across the Northeast on the 22nd.

Sincerely,
-Matt Jackson

P.S. Yale plans to host BHSAT XXI on March 24, 2012. I will serve as head editor for the tournament, which will be of the same quality standards as last year's BHSAT. More details are now available in the BHSAT thread.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Try my original crossword puzzles

Tower Monarch
Rikku

Re: FAcT VII (10/22/11) at Yale (New Haven, CT)

Post by Tower Monarch » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:55 pm

RyuAqua wrote: Teams that finish in the top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for NAQT's HSNCT 2011 ...
P.S. Yale plans to host BHSAT XXI in late March or early April 2011. I will serve as head editor for the tournament, which will be of the same quality standards as last year's BHSAT. More details will be available as they solidify.
Presumably both 2011's are 2012.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Indeed. Thanks for catching that.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 pm

It's a shame this conflcits with Kellenberg's Tournament, otherwise we would definitely enter the field. Anyway, good luck with this.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ

rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Hello--E. O. Smith is interested. Can you please post a list of commited teams? Thanks.

Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
Storrs CT
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:49 pm

I've been updating the field with registrations as they come in. We've got some number so far, and are hoping for ever more. If there are any teams in Massachusetts or Rhode Island reading this, do know that we're especially interested in welcoming new teams (or teams new to Yale tournaments) at our event, so as to really kick-start a good year of New England quizbowl on the whole.

We have enough space for 20 teams total, so sign up quick!

Also, check out our entry in the new-fangled, super-epic Quizbowl Resource Database, where we will also be posting the stats after the event is done.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:48 pm

It is too bad this conflicts with Kellenberg, but it'd be great if regional teams supported this one--it is one of the few important meets in Southern New Egland

Bob Pirrie
E. O. Smth High School
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School

Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:13 am

The problem is, there aren't many New England representatives on this board, period. The only other Connecticut schools I can think of that haven't signed up yet and have posted on this site are Greens Farms and Newtown. Rhode Island and Massachusetts have no representatives whatsoever to my knowledge.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Production of Watchmen wrote:The problem is, there aren't many New England representatives on this board, period. The only other Connecticut schools I can think of that haven't signed up yet and have posted on this site are Greens Farms and Newtown. Rhode Island and Massachusetts have no representatives whatsoever to my knowledge.
Though we're aware of this, we're also aware that there are plenty of teams within the state of Connecticut and Massachusetts that do exist in reality (such as those teams which do HFT and/or WBGH "High School Quiz Show"), and we're reaching out by other means to as many of those teams as we can. (Coach Pirrie of E.O. Smith has been very helpful to us in gathering email information towards this purpose and helping us send out information about the tournament. Many thanks, Coach Pirrie!) As an added bonus, we're informing those teams of the forums' existence when we do so.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 pm

There are also 20-something schools in western Connecticut that compete on The Challenge, with Staples (so unknown they don't even have an entry on NAQT's site!) and Greens Farms being two of the frontrunners. This year Staples didn't get picked to compete, though, and I don't know if that would affect if they would go to real quiz bowl tournaments.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Production of Watchmen wrote:Staples (so unknown they don't even have an entry on NAQT's site!)
Fixed; and I just found the email address for their coach. Drop me a line if you're hosting a tournament that you'd like to invite them to.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Also, I know Suffield in Northern CT has a quiz bowl team; they come to the :chip: tournaments at White Plains semi-regularly. If they're willing to come all the way down to Westchester, they'd probably be interested in going to a Yale tournament.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
PACE | ACF

Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Dripping Springs State Park wrote:Also, I know Suffield in Northern CT has a quiz bowl team; they come to the :chip: tournaments at White Plains semi-regularly. If they're willing to come all the way down to Westchester, they'd probably be interested in going to a Yale tournament.
They've attended Yale tournaments before, they probably would again.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:06 pm

With 20 teams registered, the field for FAcT VII is now closed. I will be maintaining a waitlist if further interest surfaces during this coming week.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 am

Stats will appear here: http://srivatsa.org/staaaats/fact/ when they begin to be posted. They will be migrated to the HSQB DB after the tournament is over.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Congratulations to E.O. Smith A for winning the seventh annual FAcT, defeating Half Hollow Hills West A in the final match. State College A came in third; all three of those teams have thus qualified for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament in Atlanta, Georgia (and, we believe, the PACE NSC, though we'll be more sure in a few days.) More details and complete stats to follow later this evening. Thanks to Newtown HS coach Jacqui Kaplan and erstwhile YSAC supporters Amy Jackson and Joyce X (State College '11) for helping staff the event.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Your staaaaaaaaandings are broken fyi.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 pm

That will be fixed later tonight, and combined stats (including tiebreakers and cross-bracket games) will also be posted.
Ashvin Srivatsa

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 pm

20 teams attended this year's incarnation of FAcT. Two brackets of ten were created, and each bracket played a full round-robin. The statistics for these preliminary rounds may be found here: (http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/21/stats/prelims/). Multiple ties existed in each bracket; all ties except for the four-way tie in "East of Leadin" between Terryville, Newtown, Simsbury, and E. O. Smith B were played off (in the case of a two-way tie, on a full packet; in the case of a three-way tie, on two half-packets, seeded by PPG). The teams in that four-way tie opted to have the tie broken by PPG.

Once definite placements were generated in each bracket, teams of identical placement in each bracket played one cross-bracket game to determine a final championship. The combined statistics for all games may be found here: (http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/21 ... eakers%29/). The stats for only the prelim and crossover games (no tiebreakers) may be found here: (http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/21 ... eakers%29/).

The final order of finish:
  1. E. O. Smith A
  2. Half Hollow Hills West A
  3. State College A
  4. Hingham A
  5. State College B
  6. Terryville
  7. Cheshire
  8. Newtown
  9. Simsbury
  10. Norwich Free Academy
  11. E. O. Smith B
  12. Half Hollow Hills West B
  13. Hingham B
  14. Nathan Hale-Ray
  15. Old Saybrook A
  16. Old Saybrook B
  17. Suffield A
  18. Suffield B
  19. Woodland School A
  20. Woodland School B
Book prizes were awarded to all the members of the first-placing E. O. Smith A team, as well as to the top six individual scorers, based on prelim PPG (Maximillien from State College A, Peter from Terryville, George from Half Hollow Hills West A, Dan from E. O. Smith A, Anthony from State College A, and Ben from Hingham B).

Corrections to the statistics should be emailed to me at (ashvin.21@gmail.com). Commentary about any other aspect of the tournament should be emailed to Matt Jackson at (matthew.jackson@yale.edu).

We at Yale would like to extend our thanks to all the teams that attended this tournament (especially those for whom this was their first tournament ever!) and would like to cordially invite these teams (along with all other interested teams, of course) to our spring tournament - the Bulldog High School Academic Tournament, to be held on March 24, 2012 at Yale.
Ashvin Srivatsa