2012 NASAT: June 16-17 at Ohio State

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

2012 NASAT: June 16-17 at Ohio State

Post by Matt Weiner »

High School Academic Pyramid Questions announces that it will be holding the third HSAPQ National All-Star Academic Tournament on June 16-17, 2012 at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. The tournament will convene at 8:30 AM on Saturday, June 16 and run until about 6 PM, then conclude from 8:30 AM to about 3:00 PM on Sunday. We will announce details as soon as possible regarding the specific buildings on the OSU campus that will be used.

As the past two NASATs have been widely praised for their logistic smoothness and high-quality questions, our goal this year is to run an even bigger and better event with upwards of 20 teams participating.

This tournament will be open to all-star teams representing all states, the District of Columbia, all US territories, and all Canadian provinces and equivalents (as well as state or province-equivalent divisions of any other countries). Each state or equivalent may enter up to one team, with up to six players on its roster, up to four of whom may be playing at any one time. Any player who was enrolled in the 9th through 12th grade in a school physically located in that state during the 2011-2012 academic year is eligible to play on his or her state’s team. Generally speaking, home school students are also eligible; any questions about eligibility will be answered by HSAPQ as needed. This tournament is intended for states seeking an all-star event. We encourage single-school teams looking for national championships to investigate two such championships run by groups that are unaffiliated with HSAPQ: the National Scholastics Championship run by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (http://pace-nsc.org/) and the High School National Championship Tournament run by National Academic Quiz Tournaments (http://www.naqt.com).

We will continue to keep cost under control; in line with that, the tournament will not be held at a resort, but rather on a college campus, much like many other high school quizbowl events held throughout the year. Furthermore, we will use a normal format comparable to regular-season events: games will consist of twenty tossups, with a thirty-point bonus being played after each correct tossup answer. Teams will play head-to-head, two at a time. “Performance-based,” multimedia, calculation, and pop culture questions will not be used. Teams will play twelve to sixteen games, in line with other national championship events, over the two days of the tournament. Because this event will be played by highly skilled all-star teams, the question difficulty will be higher than that used at existing national championships such as the NSC and HSNCT. The style and subject distribution of the questions will be quite similar to existing HSAPQ sets. The entry fee is $525 per team with a $20 discount for bringing up to one buzzer system per team. HSAPQ will be issuing suggestions on nearby hotels, transportation and dining options, and so on, but will be neither providing nor selling such accommodations ourselves, with the exception of a possible Friday night event. Teams travelling by air are advised that Port Columbus International Airport (CMH) is the major airport serving the metro area.

All teams must submit an application to HSAPQ for entry into the tournament. In the vast majority of these cases, applications will be accepted outright. However, if more than one contingent from a state seeks to enter this tournament, HSAPQ will evaluate applications from each potential team and determine who may represent their state at the National All-Star Academic Tournament. The only criterion that will be used in this decision is our assessment, based on a review of the players’ achievements in the 2011-12 competition year, of which team is likely to perform the best at the tournament. Therefore, GPA, test scores, and non-academic extracurricular activities should not be included on any application; other academic extracurricular activities (e.g. Science Bowl) should only be included if there were limited opportunities for teams in the state to compete at quizbowl. HSAPQ plans to continue consulting with a regional network of advisors who will consult with HSAPQ on these decisions.

HSAPQ will once again use a rolling application procedure: teams who submit applications to HSAPQ on or before March 14 will be notified of HSAPQ’s decision no later than March 21. We may also approve an application submitted from this point onwards as soon as “immediately” if we find it unlikely that a stronger team from the state could be assembled. Teams who submit applications to HSAPQ between March 14 and June 1, inclusive, will be notified no later than one week after the application is received. In other words, March 14 is not a hard deadline, and you may still enter the tournament afterwards, though you are encouraged to start forming and fundraising as soon as possible so that a logistical problem does not cause an interested team to miss the tournament. Once a team from a state or state-equivalent has been approved by HSAPQ, HSAPQ will no longer accept alternate applications from that state, but will accept roster changes made by the official team contact (in most cases, the individual that submitted the application). Team applications will be handled by Matt Weiner ([email protected]).

This year’s NASAT will be directed by Fred Morlan ([email protected]). All communication about the tournament except for team applications should be sent to Fred. We can also answer questions about the event in this thread.

We look forward to a diverse field and another excellent event in Columbus this year!

If you're looking for a field update, click here.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: 2012 NASAT: June 16-17 at Ohio State

Post by Matt Weiner »

Separately from the main announcement, I would like to note that Fred is taking care of certain TD duties for NASAT this year so that I may devote my full attention to the PACE NSC during the time leading up to that event. Fred has been intimately involved in the operation of several tournaments in West Virginia as well as several PACE NSCs, and will be using his accumulated wisdom to lead a team of experienced people in running this year's all-star tournament.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

If I recall correctly, several years ago NASAT produced a set of questions to help coaches in various states to select a state team by having try-outs on those questions. Will NASAT produce such a set again this year, or is my memory flawed here and no such set was ever produced in the first place?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Edward Powers wrote:If I recall correctly, several years ago NASAT produced a set of questions to help coaches in various states to select a state team by having try-outs on those questions. Will NASAT produce such a set again this year, or is my memory flawed here and no such set was ever produced in the first place?
Some places utilized college sets. Illinois has used ACF Regionals in the past;
I believe this year it is using Penn Bowl.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Shouldn't Penn Bowl be nixed? I don't think it's a secret that Penn Bowl this year is, uh, messy.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

College Park Spyders wrote:Shouldn't Penn Bowl be nixed? I don't think it's a secret that Penn Bowl this year is, uh, messy.
Eric has been/is fixing the set before its next use this weekend.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks everyone.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Blanford's Fringe-fingered Lizard wrote:
College Park Spyders wrote:Shouldn't Penn Bowl be nixed? I don't think it's a secret that Penn Bowl this year is, uh, messy.
Eric has been/is fixing the set before its next use this weekend.
This, and we don't need the whole set. If there are still problems, I imagine we can still find enough usable questions upon rearrangement.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Any suggestions about local hotels and their distance from OSU to help prospective attendees figure out total likely costs for their team?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Hyatt Place has two locations in the northern outerbelt (I-270) at Worthington and Dublin, roughly 12 o'clock and 10 o'clock respectively with downtown as the center of the clock face; Worthington prices out at $95/Dublin at $98 if paid in advance for 1 adult, 4 children -- the rooms can sleep five because there's a sofa bed along with the two doubles. The AAA rate, which doesn't require prepayment, is $103 at Worthington and $108 at Dublin. Breakfast and internet are included, and each is close to a major artery that will lead to OSU (Worthington = US 23, Dublin = OH-315).

There is a Hyatt Place closer to campus, but it runs about $40 more a night. It's a newer build, but very close to Columbus Crew stadium and I-71.

All HPs include breakfast and internet, as well as 42" TVs with ports on the side cabinet to plug in computers, DVD players, and other gaming consoles. All the rooms are the same layout -- the only difference is 1 king/2 double beds -- and I believe all are nonsmoking. They do offer connecting rooms.

Each HP has options for food in the immediate vicinity, as well as the hotel galley itself.

I've stayed at each of these properties and never had a problem. My personal preference is Worthington, but they are all excellent.

If you want to stay on campus, The Blackwell is the university-run hotel, but AAA rate is going at $134/night for quad occupancy, plus whatever the charge for parking at OSU is at that time.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

In my personal experience the Hyatt Place is far and away the best hotel for quizbowl purposes. One of the hotels Greg mentioned will certainly end up being the official hotel for staff; I agree with his recommendation to stay at one of them. I or Fred will make some inquiries soon about any possible group discounts.
Matt Weiner
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thank you Greg & Matt for the info. One follow up question if I might: Is there public transportation from either Hyatt Place Hotel, or is a rental vehicle recommended?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

The Worthington Hyatt is right near the endpoint of the COTA #2 line, which is one of Columbus's most frequent bus routes. Taking it to campus would be about a thirty minute ride. It's schedule is here: http://www.cota.com/assets/Riding-Cota/ ... t/002h.pdf

The Dublin Hyatt is right near the endpoint of the #18 line, but it would take an hour to get to campus on it. Here's it's schedule: http://www.cota.com/assets/Riding-Cota/ ... nt/018.pdf

The other one despite being closer looks like it would involve at least one transfer that I didn't bother to figure out.

From my experience (although this is over four years old), the buses will often stop at some of the intermediate points early and keep going on weekend mornings when the traffic is light. If the bus gets full, it ceases making stops until people depart the bus, so if you can fill a bus with NASAT people, it would take you to campus a lot faster.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Any updates?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just wanted to update everyone to the current field of the tournament:

Registered - 13 teams

California
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Minnesota
Missouri
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Texas
Virginia

Interested

Florida
Maryland
Michigan
South Carolina
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator

Missouri is just waiting for our selected team members to confirm their attendance before we register.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Add California to the "expressed interest" list.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

I'm pretty sure that Team Ohio has attempted to officially register twice now; not sure why we're still listed as "interested."
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I don't think I've received anything official, so if the appropriate person could just send me an email, I'll get them under the proper heading. Thanks!

Edit: I received this email, and Ohio's in the field.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The District of Columbia has joined the field.
Fred Morlan
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Georgia is also bringing a team to the NASAT. I sent the roster to Jonathan Magin at the beginning of March.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cathy, I just tried to email you through your profile, but it bounced on me. Jonathan says he can't find that email you sent to him about registration; could you please resend me that email to me at [email protected]?

Thanks!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Georgia is now officially in the field.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

And Texas just registered, taking the official field to seven.
Fred Morlan
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'd like to encourage everyone to get involved in this snazzy tournament now that the field is taking shape. Remember to work out your logistics and funding sooner rather than later.

Also, HSAPQ has ruled that middle school students (who otherwise meet eligibility rules) may participate on NASAT teams.
Matt Weiner
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

This is just a reminder that prospective teams have one month to submit bids for this tournament. The deadline is June 1.
Fred Morlan
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Fred,

Am I correct in assuming that the New Jesey team that is listed above as registered for NASAT is the team I submitted to you about 3-4 weeks ago, with Alex Frey, Grace Liu, Roey Hadar and Kevin Zhang on its roster? If so, you should know we might bring 1-2 more players as well.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

That is the current roster I have, but in that email you also noted you may be making additions to the roster as well.
Fred Morlan
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks Fred.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Indiana just registered for this tournament, putting the field at 8. Don't forget to get your registrations in as soon as possible!
Fred Morlan
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Funding and late notice prevents Idaho from coming, but I'm thinking about it for next year.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Sorry to hear that Idaho can't make it this year.

California has registered, though, so we're now at nine teams.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

While the District of Columbia team had to withdraw, Missouri has registered for this event. The field remains at 9 teams.
Fred Morlan

For those curious, team Missouri is Max Schindler, Ben Zhang, and Jialin Ding, all of Ladue, and Alex Meneses of Clayton.

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not sure what's up with all of the "possibly interested" teams, but I'd urge them to come to this. I've written over 100 questions for it, so you know there will be some exciting and quality anecdotes.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I've written 56, which I know are guaranteed to be terrible, but I will say that they will be edited heavily.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Kentucky has registered for this tournament, bringing our field up to 10 teams!
Fred Morlan
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I can't believe that at this late date, only ten teams have registered for this tournament. By my reckoning, there are at least twenty states with regular, competitive circuits that could put together an all-star team. What's going on? Is it the economy? Lack of organization?

This is a worthwhile tournament; I don't want to see it fade over time due to the lack of a sufficient number of teams. It deserves serious consideration.

Just a thought: could the invitees be expanded in the future to include teams from he Canadian provinces?
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Matt Weiner wrote:
This tournament will be open to all-star teams representing all states, the District of Columbia, all US territories, and all Canadian provinces and equivalents (as well as state or province-equivalent divisions of any other countries). Each state or equivalent may enter up to one team, with up to six players on its roster, up to four of whom may be playing at any one time.
This should answer that question.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Thanks,Doug, had not seen that initially.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

None of the provinces appeared to be in a position to send a team this year, but we're going to make a push to expand next year, I do believe.
Fred Morlan
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

I'm pretty sure that North Carolina's bringing a team, as I was told to go ahead and reserve a flight to Columbus by our organizer. Not sure if the registration has been finalized, though.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Michigan will most likely be sending a team, I just need to confirm with one more person.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Excellent. I look forward to hearing from you in a more formal manner.

In other news, North Carolina has registered for this tournament!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Team Virginia has registered for a spot, bringing the field up to 12!
Fred Morlan
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Could team rosters be posted at some point?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
smithp5
Wakka

Post by smithp5 »

Team North Carolina will be:
Gareth Fowler (Guilford)
Natan Holtzman (Enloe)
William Holub-Moorman (East Chapel Hill)
Jacob Reed (East Chapel Hill)
Paul Smith
Coach, The Early College at Guilford
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Team Illinois will be:

Ben Chametzky (Carbondale)
Alex Kling (Latin School of Chicago)
Lloyd Sy (Rockford Auburn)
Nolan Winkler (Loyola Academy)
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

California will be:
Ankit Aggarwal (Bellarmine)
Jonathan Lam (Mission San Jose)
Nikhil Desai (Bellarmine)
Sameer Rai (Bellarmine)
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Team Michigan will most likely be
Collin Parks (DCC)
Paul Hamilton (DCC)
Brandon Roach (DCC)
Mark Karabajakian (DCC0
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo